Mawson Park n Ride "Officially" Open

Started by Buzz Killington, January 21, 2010, 06:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

New south-side park 'n ride facility opens       

South-side Canberrans can now park their car for free in Mawson or secure their bike in a locker, and catch a bus for the rest of their journey to work, Chief Minister and Minister for Transport, Jon Stanhope announced today.

The ACT Government has invested $530,000 for a new Park 'n Ride and Bike n' Ride facility on the corner of Mawson Drive and Athllon Drive, which was opened today by Mr Stanhope.

Mr Stanhope said he hoped the new facility would make public transport a more attractive option for locals.

"South-side residents can now park their car for free or lock up their bike in Mawson and catch a bus for the rest of their journey to work,"Mr Stanhope said. "The Mawson Park 'n Ride and Bike n' Ride facility includes 80 parking spaces, two of which are disabled parking spaces, and 18 secure bike lockers.

"The facility is just a short walk from the Mawson shops and is located next to the Athllon Drive bus stop - part of the most frequent bus route in the ACT. Buses service this route every 5 minutes during peak periods and every 10 minutes during off-peak times.

"This investment is part of the Government's commitment to provide Canberrans with better public transport options and to reduce traffic congestion on our roads," Mr Stanhope said.

Mawson is the 12th Park 'n Ride facility in the ACT with other facilities located in Tuggeranong, Woden and Belconnen. Bike n' Ride facilities are available at several of these locations

Three locations, the interchanges in Belconnen, Woden and Tuggeranong,require a permit for car parking, which is available for free with Adult Monthly, 4 Adult Weekly or 4 Adult 10 Ride Faresaver tickets.
Bike lockers in Mawson can be hired for free for six or 12 months through Canberra Connect by contacting 132281.

smitho

This event was picked up by the WIN TV News Bulletin @ 1830 today; the quote cost as being $530,000 for this 6 month car park project (site works and construction started late May 2009, commissioned late November 2009).

It'll be interesting to see how long the project construction sign for the carpark stays up - these kinds of signs seem to remain up for ages these days, such as the one advising the public of the construction of the so-called temporary car park on Acton Park (off Commonwealtyh Ave)...still there after 2 years or so.

They should be removed when the project is commissioned.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on January 21, 2010, 06:57:48 PM
"The facility is just a short walk from the Mawson shops and is located next to the Athllon Drive bus stop - part of the most frequent bus route in the ACT. Buses service this route every 5 minutes during peak periods and every 10 minutes during off-peak times.
Spot the mistake.

Irisbus Rider

Quote"The facility is just a short walk from the Mawson shops and is located next to the Athllon Drive bus stop - part of the most frequent bus route in the ACT. Buses service this route every 5 minutes during peak periods and every 10 minutes during off-peak times.
Oops! Misquoting figures, particularly in this case, really isn't going to help attract new commuters.

smitho

I used it for the first time today and the P&R was nearly full when I parked my motor at around 1315. There is some additional signage up now identifying the facility and using the conventional ACTION Park and Ride format, including the ACTION bus logo.

However, I gather Park and Rides are not ACTION's responsibility - my guess is that it's looked after by the same mob who look after bus shelters - I think they come under ACT Roads administration.

Irisbus Rider

They could have improved the facilities there somewhat, it looks very ordinary, a covered walkway to the southside stop wouldn't have gone astray.