General Discussion 2010

Started by Barry Drive, January 13, 2010, 01:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

A full time driver can only work full time shifts (including floater or spare). Other than that, anything else is possible. 

Bus 400

Is anyone able to explain the diversion in place around Belconnen over the weekend? I overheard it being mentioned about inbound & outbound buses to go via go some weird route to Cameron Ave Bus Station but to not service Emu Bank. So I was wondering if someone could clear this up.

Barry Drive

No routes travel along Emu Bank on weekends, so there are no diversions. But the usual way to access the Aikman Dr layover will be closed.

Bus 400

I found out today it would of had something to do with buses terminating at Cameron Avenue Bus Station being unable to access Aikman Drive Layover due to the Emu Bank road closure.

Belconnen Depot must of ran out of buses today as 4 MAN's were allowed out on weekend details.

Snorzac

No, they have enough buses to cover all shifts. The MANs are now parked in the sheds and were allowed out today

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 01, 2010, 05:26:59 PM
I found out today it would of had something to do with buses terminating at Cameron Avenue Bus Station being unable to access Aikman Drive Layover due to the Emu Bank road closure.
that is an easy problem to solve, all buses use the car park just behind platform six as a layover, it is easy to get in and out of and there is plenty of space to turn around. I can't imagine there been too many cars there on weekends either. Then again, who at ACTION would be intelligent enough to think of that!

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Stacka on May 01, 2010, 05:33:37 PM
that is an easy problem to solve, all buses use the car park just behind platform six as a layover, it is easy to get in and out of and there is plenty of space to turn around. I can't imagine there been too many cars there on weekends either. Then again, who at ACTION would be intelligent enough to think of that!
I'd say that buses generally aren't allowed to enter the carpark, and it's probably not an authorised layover area. But, there are some things that just go un-noticed intentionally ;)

Bus 400

Also spotted Bus 966 with an ad in the same style (STA Bus 1805 is an example), the differences are that it didn't appear to be as wide & was for an alcoholic beverage.

Snorzac

they have been on buses for like a month...

Buzz Killington

They're three windows in length.

smitho

Adelaide Metro has buses running around with adverts coverin g the whole side of the bus other than the driver's window - looks hideous - just like a mobile advertising hoarding.

Trans Adelaide has done the same to its Flexity trams - causing much local criticism.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Stacka on May 01, 2010, 05:33:37 PM
that is an easy problem to solve, all buses use the car park just behind platform six as a layover, it is easy to get in and out of and there is plenty of space to turn around. I can't imagine there been (sic) too many cars there on weekends either. Then again, who at ACTION would be intelligent enough to think of that!
For starters, last time I checked, there are 5 platforms at Cameron Ave. Many drivers do use the car park behind platform five to lay over (so don't start insulting the intelligence of ACTION drivers). But there is at least one good reason why drivers need to use the Aikman Dr layover instead of the car park.

Buzz Killington

Because what goes in (generally fast food), must come out?

Bus 400

On Tuesday it was quicker for buses heading south from Russel to go via the Hospice roundabout, then it was to wait at the Kings Avenue roundabout.

Buzz Killington

I'm not surprised. It's hell trying to get out of Russell at the moment on Russell Dr, because the traffic flow along Parkes Way is a constant flow now given that there isn't a roundabout to stop at anymore.

If I must go through Russell at the moment I go in and out at the Hospice end of Russell Dr.

Bus 400

I'm just waiting for the nightmare when southbound traffic on Kings Avenue are diverted onto a side road of Parkes Way & when the intersection of Constituion Avenue & Parkes Way is closed for rebuilding.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 06, 2010, 07:41:00 PM
when the intersection of Constituion Avenue & Parkes Way is closed for rebuilding.

Those roads don't intersect?

Bus 400

Woops. meant Anzac Parade instead of Parkes Way

smitho

There is an increasing problem with private vehicles using the left lane for southbound movements, despite the fact that it is a left turn only lane (except for buses). Tonight an offending vehicle probably cost me and my passengers up to 2 or 3 minutes on the 226 southbound.

The Love Guru

Quote from: smitho on May 06, 2010, 08:21:47 PM
There is an increasing problem with private vehicles using the left lane for southbound movements, despite the fact that it is a left turn only lane (except for buses). Tonight an offending vehicle probably cost me and my passengers up to 2 or 3 minutes on the 226 southbound.

I hope your horn was suitably exercised then Smitho??

smitho

Quote from: Chris_Guru on May 07, 2010, 12:19:38 AM
I hope your horn was suitably exercised then Smitho??
Nah - there was another vehicle (left turning) between me and the offending vehicle.

Bus 400

I was told that while the roadworks are going on, cars entering Kings Avenue from the carparks are permitted to use the left lane. They came to this conclusion since the last sign that use to read "left lane must exit, bus excluded" has been partly covered up to read "left lane"

Which on a side note has happened on the Kings Avenue hill out of Queanbeyan, as it reads Overtaking Lane"with the "300m ahead: being covered up. So any unsuspecting motorist is coming to use the lane to overtake a slow truck, only to be killed in a head on. Any smart motorist won't attempt it due to the double line road markings, but as we all know most aren't like that.

CNG

935 was diverted today, due to roadworks had to go a different way into city inter, around the roundabout with the big flag poll, with the A.C.T. flag

CNG

I was interested with shift buses, how do drivers know what bus is there shift bus because it does not say the fleet number on the shift card, also why don't all shift or drivers have a shift bus? :) Also are there any tuggers shifts that have irisbus on them, like a couple of the belco shifts that have CNG on them

Buzz Killington

Quote from: CNG on May 08, 2010, 10:43:24 PM
around the roundabout with the big flag poll, with the A.C.T. flag

Vernon Circle?

The Love Guru

Quote from: CNG on May 09, 2010, 10:26:00 AM
I was interested with shift buses, how do drivers know what bus is there shift bus because it does not say the fleet number on the shift card, also why don't all shift or drivers have a shift bus? :) Also are there any tuggers shifts that have irisbus on them, like a couple of the belco shifts that have CNG on them

Drivers with shift buses know what bus is theirs by ESP. You need to be at ACTION for at least 10 years before you can read minds that well, hence only the older blokes have them.

Seriously though, all AM buses are allocated everyday, with certain shifts having set buses. This practice is a throw back to the old days where it was 1 driver 1 bus. You will find shift buses will die out in the near future as it is a rostering issue with so many low-floor runs to cover. At the moment drivers who want to retain their shift buses have to pick shifts that require that type of bus.

In the PM buses are handed out on a first come first served basis. This is the practice at B depot anyway, with the exception of MAN buses being allocated at all times.

Bus 400

Does anyone remember a crash a few years ago where a car smashed into a bus near the Jolimont Centre? It was on the front page of The Canberra Times the next day if that helps.

Busnerd

Irisbus Rider

IIRC, it was a Merc, yeah, I remember seeing photos of it posted on the internet somewhere. Apparently, the front of this 0305 was partly rebuilt, and it was never the same after the collision, as the the steering was farked in it after that.

p_stampy

I know within the last 10 yrs (I think), there was a crash on coulter drive, where a lady in a car ran up the back of the bus at the bus stop near coppin place in tangers.....

The lady died, but my parents live right near that bus stop.

I think she had a kiddie with her who didn't die.

Sir Pompously

The 'Tuggeranong Bus Station' sign outside of Myer has been removed (Not by long from memory) and replaced with temporary fencing. Yesterday it was some broken concrete and pavers, today it had been cleaned up with what looked to be a new, medium sized oval shaped slab ready for a sign to be placed on or around it. I was originally thinking it would be replaced with an Information bollard a la Belconnen, however now I am thinking maybe something a little more substantial (with the size of the slab) or even nothing at all (Concrete looks too clean though to have been from the previous sign).

Sir Pompously

Also forgot to mention, passed one of the new Hino P&D's yesterday and it had 'Deanes Transit Group' signwriting instead of its DBL Signwriting. At the back it had the same logo with DTG instead of the full name. Wish Deanes would get some uniformity in Livery and signwriting, different logos and liveries everywhere.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 11, 2010, 07:41:34 PM
Does anyone remember a crash a few years ago where a car smashed into a bus near the Jolimont Centre? It was on the front page of The Canberra Times the next day if that helps.

I remember the incident. Was ZIB-644 that was involved in it, caused by a car running the red light and becoming lodged under the front wheels thus not allowing the driver to steer away from the jolimont centre (bus was coming out of the interchange and i would assume turning right).

644 was rebuilt and re-entered service, however it was not one of ACTION workshops finest moments as the job done to repair was sub-optimal to say the least. This bus passed onto the STA via N&W and i think it is now with Deanes on the coast.

Sir Pompously

CNG

I was just interested in relation to the redex driver how is there shift card set up, do they just do redex for their entire shift backwards and forwards and where do they take their meal break

Bus 400

At this present stage, those on Redex shifts only do Redex services all day, everyday. In relation to the meal breaks, they are usually at Woden or Belconnen depots (from what I've been told). But you can see a driver on Redex duties having a meal break at Gungahlin or City West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 15, 2010, 05:41:35 PM
At this present stage, those on Redex shifts only do Redex services all day, everyday. In relation to the meal breaks, they are usually at Woden or Belconnen depots (from what I've been told). But you can see a driver on Redex duties having a meal break at Gungahlin or City West.

To clarify things:  Generally, Redex drivers also do other shifts, whilst non-Redex drivers (mainly floaters) sometimes get Redex shifts to cover Redex drivers being on leave. I'm a Redex driver but only do a Redex shift about one week in five.

There were a small number of full time Belconnen drivers who were doing Redex shifts week in, week out.

Bus 400

In relation to Bus 644, most of the charges were dropped in court except for a $150 fine & the bus passengers sued the car driver for $10,000 each with insurance paying for that.

Now for those who know Sydney buses, is it a setting on the bus or us it a rule that everytime the bus pulls out of a stop that the horn is sounded? It appeared to only in Randwick depot (Routes 372) Volvo's.

CNG

Quote from: smitho on May 15, 2010, 09:31:47 PM
To clarify things:  Generally, Redex drivers also do other shifts, whilst non-Redex drivers (mainly floaters) sometimes get Redex shifts to cover Redex drivers being on leave. I'm a Redex driver but only do a Redex shift about one week in five.

There were a small number of full time Belconnen drivers who were doing Redex shifts week in, week out.
So that means that you have two shift cards or you do floating when your not on REDEX. Also what does a REDEX shift card look like, because when I have been on REDEX i have noticed none of the drivers seem to carry one on them.
In regards to REDEX extending to dfo that will be very benefical in a operators perspective, as it will mean less dead running for the Tuggers bassed drivers

Sir Pompously

There is about 400m difference in running to Kingston railway as there is to DFO.

Barry Drive

Quote from: CNG on May 16, 2010, 06:50:36 AM
Also what does a REDEX shift card look like, because when I have been on REDEX i have noticed none of the drivers seem to carry one on them.
Why are you obsessed with shift cards? It looks just like any other shift card - it has route numbers and times on it.

You haven't seen it because it will usually be kept in the pocket on the cabin door.

CNG

I just am, I like to see all the routes and the runs and seeing if the shift has a combination of all my favourite runs (6, 17, 26, 27, 16, 44, 30, 73/74)

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 16, 2010, 12:01:25 AMNow for those who know Sydney buses, is it a setting on the bus or us it a rule that everytime the bus pulls out of a stop that the horn is sounded? It appeared to only in Randwick depot (Routes 372) Volvo's.
You would have only heard that on the Volvo B12BLEs. That 'honking sound' is the sound of the park brake (?) being deactivated. I'm unsure why it makes that sound, but it can't be heard easily from outside of the vehicle.

Sir Pompously

It is the Short Stop (Bus stop brake) being released from what I understand. The reason would be that it is an aural (I think that would be the right word) warning to confirm the brake is off, much like Scania's do the same when the brake is activated.

Busnerd

Volvo's do not have short stop brakes...it is just the park brake valve noise

Sir Pompously

Thanks Mat, was not aware that Volvo have not provided a short stop in their vehicles!

Busnerd

All the Volvo's have from memory is a foot and park brake, nothing else is really required as techinally if you are stopping for a long period you should always use the handbrake.

Scania definately use bus stop brakes but unsure what other new buses have them as I don't look for it. Merc 0500's don't either.

Bus 400

Spotted new Deanes Bus #33 with a good desto this morning on Hindmarsh Drive. It had "SORRY" with the bottom line switching between "NOT IN SERVICE""NO PASSENGERS"