RiotACT On: Giving way to buses leaving stops, and buses without aircon

Started by Buzz Killington, January 13, 2010, 06:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

These sorts of threads are always a good read...

http://the-riotact.com/?p=17450#comments

Barry Drive

Unlike some threads, this one is fairly well-informed. Doubt it will make much of a difference to driver attitudes though. While there are some good drivers out there, there are many more who don't know the rule or deliberately ignore it. Many drivers seem to think that when a bus indicates its intention of exiting a bus stop, the correct procedure is to speed up rather then slow down or stop. I had some bast**rd last week on Flemington Road do that to me -- I was at the EPIC bus stop (north bound), the speed limit was 40km/h yet despite my sufficient warning the car sped up and then gave me the horn for continuing into the line of traffic.

belcodriver

Here's another thread:

http://the-riotact.com/?p=17451#more-17451

In summary it's some spoilt citizen asking why doesn't ACTION throw away useable albeit old buses and buy more airconditioned buses.

Barry Drive

Quote from: belcodriver on January 14, 2010, 12:21:00 PM
Here's another thread:

http://the-riotact.com/?p=17451#more-17451

In summary it's some spoilt citizen asking why doesn't ACTION throw away useable albeit old buses and buy more airconditioned buses.
... and right now!

I wonder if he's aware that the Renault PR100.2s are far more reliable in the heat than the newer buses. Which would he prefer to travel in - a hot bus which arrives at its destination or an airconditioned bus which is broken down by the side of the road?

Not sure whether the comment about drivers 'picking their own bus' is entirely true.

Busnerd

I think that only applies to drivers who take a bus after like 4pm when they aren't allocated.

Barry Drive

Not really. If your shift card says to take a CNG bus (Tugg) or an Irisbus (Belc), then you should take that type of bus if one is available. But if it calls for a standard bus then you shouldn't take a CNG or Irisbus. So it's not true that particular runs don't have a/c buses because of the drivers picking the bus - it is because of what is indicated in the shift.

Ed

The way I do it, I give them 5 seconds with the right indicator on (generally the 3rd or 4th car). Then I move out regardless of what they do (the ignorant bastards can hit me if they want, I can get another bus from the depot, they can't.). Due to the sheer number of dickheads on the road, I'm actually surprised that more of them don't become a statistic.

CNG

Quote from: Martin on January 15, 2010, 02:12:52 PM
Not really. If your shift card says to take a CNG bus (Tugg) or an Irisbus (Belc), then you should take that type of bus if one is available. But if it calls for a standard bus then you shouldn't take a CNG or Irisbus. So it's not true that particular runs don't have a/c buses because of the drivers picking the bus - it is because of what is indicated in the shift.

However sometimes drivers don't have the time to return to the depot and pick the allocated bus up, so they have to continue in the bus that they are operating in. A driver from tuggers was telling me this.

Snorzac

yes, that's because HASTUS (the system which does the shifts) is fucked. The shift you are referring to is pathetic.