Buses used for ORTA in Sydney (Bus 2000)

Started by Sir Pompously, December 13, 2007, 10:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

I am wondering who knows about what buses were sent to be used by ORTA and Bus 2000 in Sydney for the Olympics. As stated in another thread, PR100.2's were sent to Sydney to be used for services. I believe BUS-815, -816, -817 were all sent there (I think they were the adless ones). They came back with BUS 2000 and ORTA stickers, along with Train, bus and ferry stickers which seemed to be retained in a few until maybe a year or two ago. Also, BUS-674 was also used at the Olympics, but lent to ORTA by Cavanaghs of Kempsey (Albeit still in ACTION orange and blue).

Here is a photo from www.airbrush.com.au/buses.shtml of a bus in Bus 2000 livery.

And the ORTA logo from www.gamesinfo.com.au

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, I also recall riding an MkI ACTION artic for the games, and it had a 333 map and zone map in it! It was a strange sight for a Sydnite.

Also, I found these photos, but they are not mine;

They would make for an interesting "Where is it" photo, confusing a few people, ha ha.
But I couldn't imagine driving one of these at high revs for at least three hours down the highway all the way to Sydney!
Thanks for the information and the pic Todd, brings back memories.....

Buzz Killington

now we just need a photo of 751 in the olympic football AOA

Busnerd

Ken has like 30 photos of action buses at the olympics at his house, next time i see him i will borrow them off him so we can scan them in.

I believe only PR100.2's went, both mk1 and 2's.

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, definately, get the photos off him if you can.

My memory may be sketchy, but I do recall getting an artic, and it containing a one map in it.

Buzz Killington

yeah, definitely borrow the photos.

i dont remember if 751 went up or not.

Sir Pompously

So here is a ongoing list, recent updates will be in bold -

• BUS-004
  • BUS-687
  • BUS-814
  • BUS-817
  • BUS-818
  • BUS-822
  • BUS-836
  • BUS-839
  • BUS-844
  • BUS-845
  • BUS-884
  • BUS-887
  • BUS-890

Also, according to TA DEC 2000 there were 50 Renaults leased to ORTA.

Busnerd

There were a shit load more than you lot typed. I just cant remember which ones, there is a site which has photos, but i probably saved them, so allow me to look through the computer. I also recall news footage of the buses rolling back into town, 875 was one and had an eXcite ad on it, it showed a convoy of buses heading back into canberra  ;D

Sir Pompously

lol, I know there is alot more hence the
QuoteAlso, according to TA DEC 2000 there were 50 Renaults leased to ORTA.

And the list will be updated as people post below or I find new buses so it will be kept in order!!

The major convoy coming into Canberra I have never seen (Not even on the news!), I have seen a bunch of 0305's heading out of Canberra however :P

Busnerd

822 AND exACTION 687 were there, i found pics of them.

seat cover

Can't tell you about ACTION but I remember that there were plenty of them coming home. Deane's sent about 40 buses up there. Had only old Action and STA buses left in Canberra

Bus 400

I remember being told that there was a pic in The Canberra Times of all of the buses heading up the Federal Highway.

Irisbus Rider

There was a lot of media coverage about these buses, from what I can gather.

BTW, Deanes also gave buses? How did they then manage operating the services, as 40 buses is quite a chunk out of their fleet? I'm assuming it was all of their buses assigned for school bus duities?

Busnerd

Yes, Ken has photos of ACTION, Deanes and Transborder buses at the Olympics.

Im going up to Sydney in February on holidays so I will definately borrow these photos for scanning purposes.

Simes

Yeah I have memories of seeing a shit load orange over at the "Northern Gate" but then with all the other buses from all over, ACTION didn't stick out so much. Aside from the orange  ;) If it wasn't a bus from Canberra passing by, it was one from Brisbane or Melbourne - all sticking out in equal measure.

The ATDB had a collection of bus shots from the Olympics, I wonder if we could get it back?

seat cover

"BTW, Deanes also gave buses? How did they then manage operating the services, as 40 buses is quite a chunk out of their fleet? I'm assuming it was all of their buses assigned for school bus duities?"

During the Olympics deane's used ex ACTIOn MK2 Mercs and Ex STA Mk2 Mercs as route buses, an ex Tas Metro Volvo (B52?) and ex (Bosinjack/) Leyland vikings for charter vechiles. All hinos and most vovlos where in Sydney

Irisbus Rider

The trip up to Sydney in one of those STA MkII Mercs would be groueling, going 75 km/h all the way!!!

Simes

Quote from: Renault Rider on July 23, 2008, 10:06:59 PM
The trip up to Sydney in one of those STA MkII Mercs would be groueling, going 75 km/h all the way!!!

I've done it from Wagga  :P Sure 75 - 82 is a little bit of a drag but if there's a clump of you doing it, it's actually fun  ;D

Irisbus Rider

Ha ha, I bet it would be! But I've heard a certain MkII did 100km/h recently. Now that was a surprise when I heard it.

Simes

Quote from: Renault Rider on July 30, 2008, 11:50:44 AM
Ha ha, I bet it would be! But I've heard a certain MkII did 100km/h recently. Now that was a surprise when I heard it.

I am intrigued to hear this story....I know of a few cases where highway diffs have been fitted though (the red one at bankstown and a few at busways)

seat cover

mk11 would need different diff to do 100kph

Simes

Quote from: Simes on July 13, 2008, 01:18:54 AM
Yeah I have memories of seeing a shit load orange over at the "Northern Gate" but then with all the other buses from all over, ACTION didn't stick out so much. Aside from the orange  ;) If it wasn't a bus from Canberra passing by, it was one from Brisbane or Melbourne - all sticking out in equal measure.

The ATDB had a collection of bus shots from the Olympics, I wonder if we could get it back?

Funny, lookie at what I stumbled onto tonight  lol

http://www.geocities.com/busaust/

Irisbus Rider

Wow, look at all those photos. Incredible. Hard to believe that was nearly 10 years ago.

Ha, thanks for that find there!

Busnerd

Buzz Killington

I've added a note to the article for each bus loaned to ORTA in the Wiki.

I'm going to try and track down the rest, but for those interested the Buses can be accessed via the following category:
http://actbus.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Buses_Loaned_to_ORTA

There were 50 Renaults and 10 Special Needs vehicles sent.

Buzz Killington

Some time has passed since the last post in this thread, but I've just come across a photo of Bus 004 in Sydney, so that's another one to add!

Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington

Les Pascoe has sent through a list of the vehicles that were sent up to Sydney (Wiki has been updated with this info)

PR100.2s – 800-824, 835-849 and 882-893; and
Hino AC140s – 004-005, 009-010 and 016-021.

Forty Renaults returned to Canberra on 2 October with the other ten returning on 3 October.

The ten Hinos stayed in Sydney until after the Paralympics.

(Source: Fleetline Nov/Dec 2000 - Ian Cooper Article)