Belconnen Changes

Started by The Love Guru, January 07, 2009, 10:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Love Guru

Work has begun on the first of the new bus stands to be built in Belconnen. The lower carpark out the front of Belconnen depot has been closed off and is being converted into an interchange. In the interm, there will be some changes to the movement of buses within the depot, so keep a look out to see some strange happenings.

It is expected that this work will be completed by the end of Feb.

Snorzac

Saw that. They were putting portable offices or something in with a crane.

Busnerd

so the interchange will be out in the stix in the carpark until westfield extends over to it in 3 years time

Irisbus Rider

3 years? We hope not, more like 1 year, or am I too optimistic?

Buzz Killington

Everything (roadworks, mall extension) is planned to be complete by the end of 2010.

Here's a basic rundown of what will be happening:

"Early 2009" - New Traffic lights at the following intersections:
- Benjamin Way / Emu Bank (About bloody time something was there)
- Emu Bank / Eastern Valley Way
- Cohen St / Josephson St
- Cohen St / Nettflefold St
- Cohen St / Lathlain St

The lights are being installed both to reduced accidents and slow traffic in the town centre to make things safer for pedestrians

April 2009
- Interchange closes
- Cohen St extension begins

The New Bus Stations will be located:
- Near the mall, with a direct link to level 3
- On part of the site of the old interchange, to service the offices and park area
- On Emu Bank, adjacent to the college, for that and CISAC

i think we'll also turn this into the general "belconnen changes" thread.

Snorzac

Don't forget the bus station outside the depot

Bus 400

All this is found in the new brochure that the ACT Government is putting out.

Busnerd

So these are the temporary 'bus stations' that are going in before they put the new interchange in once westfield extends.

The Love Guru

Not quite, the one at the depot is permanent, as is the one at the college. The other 2 are temporary whilst the Cohen St extension is built.

Snorzac

This could get confusing, I know Todd and myself confused the shit out of a driver trying to explain.

Bus 400

The brochure "Belconnen Town Centre Improvements" states that Belco buses will come from Luxton St, stop at bus stations at Westfield Belconnen , ABS (old bus interchange) & opposite Gininderra College. buses from City will stop at Ginninderra College, ABS & Westfield Belconnen.

However the map shows a Bus Station opposite Belco Depot for Western/Mixed use services (proably the temp one).

belcodriver

The stops outside the depot will be similar in function to City West, that is some routes will pick up no/very few passengers there and continue on to the interchange.

Still I suppose it will be good for odd clown who stands at the stop outside the depot and puts their hand out even though they've seen you driving out the gates.

Is this brochure online?

Snorzac

Not that I know of but it has being delivered to most letter boxes, you can get a copy from a bus interchange or Canberra Connect.

Buzz Killington

i have a copy, will email it to you belcodriver.

belcodriver

Thanks for the brochure. I was disappointed that it didn't have a map of the changes.

Buzz Killington

Yeah, seemed like a strange omission. Although I think i recall seeing a master plan for the town centre which featured some maps - i'll see if i can find it again.

Barry Drive

Quote from: belcodriver on January 08, 2009, 11:33:16 PM
The stops outside the depot will be similar in function to City West, that is some routes will pick up no/very few passengers there and continue on to the interchange.
The stops outside the depot and on Emu Bank will operate similarly (but on a larger scale) to the Gungahlin Town Centre layovers - two terminus points between common stops in the middle served by all services. This is known as the far-side terminus model.

The challenge for HASTUS will be to avoid dead-running between the two. The other problem will be layover area - will there be enough?

The Love Guru

They have begun work on the Aikman Dr layover area, behind the bowling alley. Appears this will be able to hold at least 10 buses (possibly more) if it is only used for Layovers.

Work outside Belconnen Depot is progressing very quickly with carpark having been completely removed already. There are markings on the road (along with trees removed) in what appears to be preperation for the widening of the intersection with Josephson St. This intersection will be a set of lights in the near future, and appears that buses will have there own set of lights to exit the new interchange/bus stands. Appears it will be similar in design to the city west platforms and lights to exit.

Bus 400

I am just wondering but this bus station the idea that has been put forward to replace City Interchange? Also ACTION have put up some info on their website about this (http://www.action.act.gov.au/demolition_of_belconnen_bus_interchange.html)

Quote from: ACTION Website
Demolition of Belconnen Bus Interchange
Over the next two years improvements will be made to the Belconnen Town Centre giving people better access to the shopping mall, simpler bus routes and easy pedestrian access to the entire town centre.

The Belconnen bus interchange will be demolished. New bus stations will be built at the south-west corner of Westfield Belconnen Mall. Cohen Street will be extended to Emu Bank with new bus stops built near the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) and Lake Ginninderra College. The upgrade will allow bus travellers to get on or off at either the 'retail' bus station at the western extension of the Westfield Belconnen mall, the 'ABS' stop on Cohen Street (close to the old interchange) or the 'college' stop at Emu Bank.

Temporary Bus Stations
During the redevelopment process, temporary bus stations will be located on Cohen Street, Lathlain Street and Cameron Avenue. These bus stations will provide connections to all bus routes passing through the Belconnen Town Centre.

More Bus Timetable Information
In early April, more details about the temporary bus stations will be available from this site. The information will include where to catch your bus and what timetables will change. Please check the ACTION website in early April 2009 for up to date information.

More Information about the Redevelopment
To find out more about the plan for the Belconnen Town Centre, visit the ACT Planning and Land Authority website.

Barry Drive

The way I see it, the following routes will commence and terminate from Belconnen West (outside the depot):

3, 7, 10, 30, 31, 44, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 74, 300, 318, 319, 705, 710, 749

And these routes will commence and terminate from Belconnen East layover (Aikman Drive):

12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 43, 45, 73

Busnerd

I wonder if they will run shuttles between the two, its going to confuse the hell out of people.

Buzz Killington

im sure a lot of routes would run through one and end at the other

Barry Drive

Quote from: Busnerd on January 23, 2009, 05:26:25 PM
I wonder if they will run shuttles between the two, its going to confuse the hell out of people.
See my previous post:
Quote from: Martin on January 16, 2009, 10:47:20 AM
Two terminus points between common stops in the middle served by all services.
But I agree that there will be mass confusion - particularly if the bus stops do not show enough information.

smitho

There seems to be a little confusion among Forum contributers as to where the bus stops ("stations") will be in the interim and final layouts of the Belconnen Interplex (as I call the arrangements which will replace the Belconnen Interchange - "plex", because its all a bit complex!).

As I understand it, the interim Interplex will have stops at the (1) Belconnen Depot, (2) Lathlain St (serving Belconnen Mall) and (3) in Cameron St (serving the office precinct).

I gather the final 'Interplex' will have stops  (1) outside Belconnen Depot, (2) the Retail Stop, to be located on the Cohen St extension (on a site adjoining the Mall near the former Busway), (3) the ABS Stop, also to be located on the Cohen St extension over the Interchange site, about half way down the length of the current interchange platform and (4) an Emu Bank Stop at the intersection of Eastern Valley Way and Emu Bank. These stops will be commissioned at the end of 2010.

Am I right with all of this?

Barry Drive

Smitho, you are right.

Something to note - the display at Belconnen Depot says that the final arrangement (due Nov 2010) will have all bus routes servicing all four stations. This suggests that routes which currently travel all the way along Lathlain St (such as 14, 16, 43) will have to go up Cohen St to serve 'Belconnen West' then continue along Cohen St, Nettlefold St, Coulter Dr and resume current route.

Snorzac

Would it be easier to come off Southern Cross onto Coulter Dr, Nettlefold st, Cohen st, then continue or is that what you are saying Martin.

At the moment all the buses that previously used the busway, go via  Coulter and Luxton, I think if they are getting people use to Lathalain they should also send all the buses down Cohen.

Bus 400

It appears as if they may be making a busway from the southern exit of UC onto College St onto Lake Ginninderra College Bus Station.

Irisbus Rider

That would be interesting, although, I don't see that happening, as the ever so popular CISAC stop will then be neglected. It will probably shadow the regular route of the Intertown.

Bus 400

Went past today & this isn't the case. It must be some project to do with the UC, as the bus platforms run all the way along Aikman Dr to Eastern Valley Way lights.

But I did think that I saw somewhere as a part of the Belconnen to City Busway that there was to be short cut through there & it was one of the reasons for extending Aikman Dr around to EVW.

Buzz Killington

tthere seem to be a lot of auction signs up for blocks of land around the town centre too. Two that spring to mind are the carpark between "The Basement" on Cohen St and the Belconnen Workshops, and the corner of Aikman and Eastern Valley, behind the Maccas/AMF carpark.

Irisbus Rider

Eastern Valley Way/Aikman because the Macquarie Bank are selling the AMF bowling alley, and the other one is to sell retail space with the adjacent bus interchange/terminus.

TP3000, the Belconnen to City busway quietly got shelved 2 to 3 years ago.

Bus 400

I knew that, Urban Services was taken off Corbell who supported the busway & given to suck up Hargreaves who was on brainless Stanhopes side of no busway.

route56

This will be a debacle.

I thought they were trying to revitalise the belconnen town centre.

having the main interchange in the mall is great for westfield, but the rest of belconnen will suffer. the whole '4 bus stop' thing is just a crock. it will confuse everyone, and cause the bus trip times to be longer.

i cant see it attracting any more peopel to use buses. 

The Love Guru

Quote from: route56 on February 21, 2009, 02:03:18 AM
This will be a debacle.

I thought they were trying to revitalise the belconnen town centre.

having the main interchange in the mall is great for westfield, but the rest of belconnen will suffer. the whole '4 bus stop' thing is just a crock. it will confuse everyone, and cause the bus trip times to be longer.

i cant see it attracting any more peopel to use buses. 

Not sure where you are getting your info from, but according to the plans posted on the internet the main interchange is NOT at westfield, but is where the current interchange is now! It is to be an on street design with dedicated bus lanes allowing an easy flow of traffic for the buses.

What makes you think the '4 bus stop thing is a crock"????? Every bus that goes to Belconnen will travel to all the stops, unlike the current arrangement where its impossible to get a bus from Gungahlin to anywhere but the interchange. It will allow a lot more frequent service to the western part of the town centre, and allow travel from areas currently requiring a change of bus at the interchange.

With so many buses travelling through this corridor, it will attract passengers to use the service to move throughout the entire town centre. There are a lot of businesses in the western section that will appreciate the added services, in particular the automotive places where people will be able to drop their car off and have easy access to direct services to most areas.

It would nice however to see at least 1 run diverted to travel the length of Nettlefold St, as it seems this part of Belconnen is forgotten by the route planners. With the runs starting from the bus depot and travelling through all of the Belconnen, a diversion of the 44 (or even 10) would seem practical, as these routes will be entering via Benjamin Way which is in the middle of the '4 stops' corridor.

Will have to agree that these changes may cause an increase in journey times, but only by a few minutes, whilst serving a much larger percentage of the Belconnen town centre.

Snorzac

This is going to be great for me, the West Belconnen Stop or Depot stop is a 5min walk from my house

Bus 400

I am just wondering how will the buses get from Depot Bus Station to College Bus Station without turning right onto Emu Bank or going through Belconnen Interchange.

Also I have not seen in the plans about how Cohen St will intersect with Eastern Valley Way & Emu Bank? I would think it would be with lights, but then again it appears as if Cohen Street will enter the intersection at an unusual angle.

Buzz Killington

Is Cohen actually going to intersect with Eastern Valley though? Looking at the map..

Entering Cohen St from Emu Bank (coming from the Maccas direction) appears to be via the current interchange Entrance
Entering Cohen St from Emu Bank (heading towards maccas) is a small slip lane where the current bend is on Emu Bank.

Exiting Cohen onto Emu Bank is via a new piece of road just past the bend in Emu Bank heading towards Subway

Bus 400

Would it be worth everyone selecting Belconnen Interchange pictures for memories of Belconnen Interchange on the last weekend of Belconnen Interchange?

Buzz Killington

We will be putting something together on the website for the interchange. It hasn't been decided just what form that would take, but feel free to send us through your photos of Belconnen Interchange to website@actbus.net

Bus 400

Until further noice, buses going to & from Belco Depot are not allwed to use Josephson St or going in via Cameron Avenue.

Bus 400

After reading a document called "Belconnen public transport Bus interchange options" dated 10/12/2002. It gives one of the options that was also given back in 1997 the current option being undertaken. This report also shows you what the bus network was in Belconnen in 2002. I didn't reaise that the 55 went on a round about route & went through Palmerston while the 56 went another way.

This report can be found at http://www.tams.act.gov.au/move/sustainable_transport_plan_actions/publications.

smitho

An ACT Govt ad in today's Canberra Times puts the closure date for Belconnen Interchange as 25 May, not the end of April as stated earlier...

Bus 400

The Canberra Times ad says that Belconnen Interchange will be "decommissioned" on 25th May.

It appears that busses will go via Lathlain Stret until ABS Bus Station is complete as work is now being done to widen this road & the roundabout at the intersection of Chandler St has been altered (made wider) to cater for busses.

Bus 400

East Belconnen Bus Station is almost complete. It is just waiting for the platform signs & shelters to be constructed. Work has also began on the temp ABS Bus Station on Cameron Avenue.

The Love Guru

East Belconnen bus station??????

The ABS stop is the first bus station in Belconnen. I think what you are refering to is the layover area on Aikman Dr. This mostly likely will not have shelters as buses will not be picking up passengers from that location. There will be an amenities block built for drivers and thats about it, the rest of it is just for bus parking.

Bus 400

I did wonder why it was only on one side of the road. Having a look at the Belconnen Map. There will be a Eastern Station with the existing stops outide Ginninderra College & a new stop on Eastern Valley Way after Cameron Avenue.

Would I be correct in saying that Cohen St will go under Chandler St? As going by the map it appears to be the other way round.

But it would of been funny today as Cohen Street was closed to all traffic due to an accident. So Belconnen West Bus Station would of been Out Of ACTION.

route56

The Action CEO will be speaking at the belconnen community council meeting on wednesday night about the interchange closing.

Bus 400

I am wondering wether anyone knows if each bus station will have an info desk or just a info stand.

Irisbus Rider

Barry Drive

See my earlier comment: mass confusion. No doubt there will be orange bollard signs at each bus 'station' stop, although each will have many bus routes stopping at them. I expect in the first few days/weeks there will be transport officers and customer service officers in attendance at all 'stations', but after that passengers will be on their own.

I have no idea where the ticket office, lost property or supervisors will be located.

Buzz Killington

the depot would seem like the most logical place for all of those.

will the bollard signs have enough room for all the information that is required though? Things like the Network Maps and even interchange maps will need to be at each one surely

Sir Pompously

They may do like Sydney and have an area for Maps inbuilt into the Shelter (They just minus a window pane) with maps of the other stops in the area, and where certain routes leave from etc.

Bus 400

Emu Bank/Eastern Valley Way intersection will be closed from 18:00 24/03/09-06:00 25/03/09 to fix up intersection in preparation for traffic lights (http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/142244/Eastern_Valley_Way.pdf)

Buzz Killington

i don't recall seeing it mentioned, but i was out in Belco for the first time in ages today and they're duplicating College Street from Eastern Valley up to Radford.

As an update, lights are in but covered up at Lathlain/Cohen, Cohen/Nettlefold and Emu/Benjamin. Poles but no lights at Emu/Eastern Valley and Cohen/Josephson.

Bus 400

I just though it was being done for that intersection. But it does make sense. Hopefully they make the left lane a bus only.

Bus 400

I thought that some people may like to read what BTC will be like from April 2009 to November 2010.

For April 2009 to November 2010: http://203.9.249.2/e-registers/pubnote/pdf/SUPP-200913888-Interim_Upgrade_-01.pdf
November 2010 Onwards: http://203.9.249.2/e-registers/pubnote/pdf/SUPP-200913888-Town_Centre_Upgrade-01.pdf

Bus 400

Does everyone remember what they said about the Interchange 2 years ago? As I found this post in the depths of the forum http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=77.msg552#msg552

Barry Drive

Some information about how the Belconnen West terminus will operate has been revealed.

Services travelling west up Cohen St or terminating will stop on Cohen St near the current bus stop.

There are two platforms within the terminus for services which commence there. This will include 300, 318, 319, Xpresso and suburban feeder services as well as school services. The routes will exit near the Josephson St intersection.

For routes running down Cohen St (such as Intertown 312, 313, 314 and 315 and also services which terminate at the eastern terminus), the services will stop on Cohen St rather than enter the terminus.

This means that Intertown services will depart from two different locations depending on which route is operating. Not sure that's a good move.

Bus 400

There is an article in the paper where Stanhopeless says that no provision for light rail will be made for this development. However if the Federal Government give us the funding through Infrastructure Australia, billions will be spent altering it.

And here is that article:
Quote from: The Canberra Times
Light rail not factored into new bus hub design
BY SARAH PARKES
3/04/2009 6:37:00 AM
The ACT Government has purposely left out any provisions for a light-rail system in the design for the new Belconnen bus interchange.
The Government has come under attack from light-rail supporters and the Greens for not factoring in the possibility of light rail in the future.
Greens MLA Amanda Bresnan asked Chief Minister Jon Stanhope if he was aware senior officers had presented these facts to a recent Belconnen Community Council meeting.
Although Mr Stanhope dodged the question, he later told The Canberra Times he was well aware of the situation and it was intentional.
''Of course I was aware of it,'' he said.
''We don't need provisions for light rail at this stage.
''There are no circumstances where we will run a bus and light-rail system along the same line simultaneously. We do not have the resources to support a major transit bus system and railway.''
He said the Government had created a dedicated transport corridor between Belconnen and the city and the vision for light rail would be along the transit corridor.
He said if its $3.5billion funding pre-election bid to Infrastructure Australia was granted, the Belconnen bus interchange would be converted. He said this would cost billions of dollars and this major infrastructure change was factored into the costing presented to Infrastructure Australia.
For more, pick up a copy of today's Canberra Times

I can scan the paper copy, but there isn't much more.

Irisbus Rider

Brilliant. See, thats what happens when you vote for the greens.....

I do find it concerning that services to the Adshel shelter stops on Lathlain St will now be unserviced. Thats a popular stop, and to not service it?

I suppose it can't be done though, as it's impossible to service that stop and service all 3 Town Centre stops in Belconnen.

Bus 400

Also won't the new Westfield Bus Station go out that way a bit?

Looks like I'll have to submit my plan to the Greens.

If anyone has seen the plans for Flemington Road duplication, they at least have plans for light rail there.

Bus 400

Does anyone know why the Interchange is due to be shut in April, but not decommissioned until late May?

Irisbus Rider

They have to 'clean it out', don't forget, there are driver amenities, control rooms, ticket selling office, they have to clean all of that out.

Bus 400

But most of that could be done over the last weekend.

I half think I may see if I can grab some of the old maps that will mostly be thrown out or stored somewhere else.

The Love Guru

The interchange will not close until late May at this stage.

Bus 400

Is there any reason given for this? Don't tell me that this is the reason behind the shift talk I was hearing about.

Irisbus Rider

When you've been around as long as most of the drivers on here, you realise never to trust these 'depot rumours', because most of these rumours are grossely unsubstantiated.

There are problems with the shifts, because, as I understand, they have been rejected, for whatever reason. Not sure on that though.

The Love Guru

The interchange wont close until the new shifts start, which at this stage is planned for late May. Having a look around belconnen the infrastrcuture for the temporary bus stops isn't going to be complete by the end of the month. There is a reason why no firm closure date has been given to the public, it allows them to be a bit flexible whilst everything is sorted out.

TP3000, i'm unsure who you get your information from, but it doesn't seem to be an overly reliable source. Depot rumours are a constant in any transport company. If you adopt the theory of half of what you hear is bull, and the other half is shit then you'll be better off.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Chris_Guru on April 05, 2009, 08:20:14 AM
If you adopt the theory of half of what you hear is bull, and the other half is shit then you'll be better off.
Ha ha, thats fantastic advice :P

It will probably happen like the busway closure happened, no forewarning until the previous day, but when it eventuates, we'll definately know about it.....

Bus 400

Quote from: Chris_Guru on April 05, 2009, 08:20:14 AM
There is a reason why no firm closure date has been given to the public, it allows them to be a bit flexible whilst everything is sorted out.

TP3000, i'm unsure who you get your information from, but it doesn't seem to be an overly reliable source. Depot rumours are a constant in any transport company. If you adopt the theory of half of what you hear is bull, and the other half is shit then you'll be better off.

Then this way they won't have the problems that they had with releasing Network '08, when the dates kept on changing. But it does look like the temporary ABS Bus Station is a but behind & no work has even started on the Lathlain Street Station.

My source came from a driver talking with someone in the radio room (or use to) & some of the old ticket inspectors. My bus had like 4/5 ACTION current or ex employees. I was standing up the front as I got on in Civic & was getting off at Albert Hall, normally I would not of heard that.

I'll what I heard gossip, which is apparently not meant to be true anyway.

Irisbus Rider

Ah, yes it has. They're putting in a set of lights for it, and concrete islands all over the road there for the buses.

Bus 400

I mean like shelters, I know stand will go up closer to the interchange closure.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Chris_Guru on February 21, 2009, 10:02:56 AMIt would nice however to see at least 1 run diverted to travel the length of Nettlefold St, as it seems this part of Belconnen is forgotten by the route planners. With the runs starting from the bus depot and travelling through all of the Belconnen, a diversion of the 44 (or even 10) would seem practical, as these routes will be entering via Benjamin Way which is in the middle of the '4 stops' corridor.
Not sure whether passengers from Holt and Scullin will be too happy with a diversion via Nettlefold St before they get to Belconnen proper (since the route could have gone down Coulter Dr), but that's what's going to happen - route 44 will travel via Nettlefold St. However route 942 which services Benjamin Way on the weekend will not - it will go the other way along College St and Eastern Valley Way. Strange.

Bus 400

The bus station plans have been published on the ACTION website. With the timetables coming out 11/05/09 & starting 26/05/09

Busnerd

After looking at them all, this looks great!

I think it will be more popular than the interchange, for the common passenger its more simple, if you only get one suburban bus like the 43 or the 52 or something and only connect to the intertown or xpresso its simple, only a few stops for you to remember.

It's only bad for people who catch 1 million buses a day...us, as we will forget what stop it goes from.

Buzz Killington

although since they go from every stop, its just a matter of the enthusiasts getting their timing points right and planning their trips.

But yes, for those who are catching one or two buses per day to work or school, it will be a lot more simple and practical.

Irisbus Rider

WOW, just WOW!

Although, one issue I have is where will the buses drop off? Especially at the Cameron Av stop, a crowded Intertown will drop off at Stop 5, and then, typically, someone will ask the driver if they can stop at Stop 4 just a few metres away.
I have noticed that there is a dedicated drop off area at the Cohen St stop, Stop 4, which is good.

Buzz Killington

curse that damn "last edit" mark!

Irisbus Rider

Ha ha ha, caught red handed.

As Busnerd has said, this is better than having as central interchange, and I hope this will be adopted when the new interchange will open, by still using Cohen St, but then going to the new intrerchange, then the site of the old one.

Bus 400

I thought that that was the plan. I wonder if this practice will be copied in other town centres.

Irisbus Rider

I did too, but I'm not sure on how it will actually all come together.

It suppose it could be applied in other town centres, Woden would be difficult, but it could definately work in Tuggeranong.

Bus 400

I had posted this as post #57, but this shows the plan from November 2010 onwards http://203.9.249.2/e-registers/pubnote/pdf/SUPP-200913888-Town_Centre_Upgrade-01.pdf

Woden Town Centre would require a bit of work. Tuggeranong Town Centre wouldn't be too hard & City Centre could be easy by doing a loop of London Circuit. Gungahlin Town Centre would be all right as well.

But all that is a few years away & Woden will most likely be next anyway, with Molonglo being last.

Irisbus Rider

At City, we've basically got three already, with a few exceptions, Alinga St, City Interchange and London Cct.

Buzz Killington

Belconnen Stations page has been added to the Infrastructure section of the website.

Snorzac

Traffic lights are now operational on the corner of Lathalain and Cohen streets.

Bus 400

I can see why the opening is being delayed. There are 2 tenders in relations for this which are
-Construction: Cohen Street Extension and Replacement of Pedestrian Bridge from Churches Centre to Westfield Shopping Mall, Belconnen
-Construction: Cohen Street Extension and Demolition of Existing Bus Interchange
These tenders were only opened 11 April 2009 & close 5 May 2009.

But I have founda new tender that has closed for
-Select: New Belconnen Bus Station Public Artwork
This closed on 16 April 2009. The companies that have been selected for tender are
-MCGREGOR WESTLAKE ARCHITECTURE
-THYLACINE DESIGN & PROJECT MANAGEMENT PTY LTD
-WELLSPRING ENVIROMENTAL ARTS + DESIGN

Buzz Killington

RiotACT have a thread on the Interchange closure:
http://the-riotact.com/?p=11767

With several lol-worthy reflections, including
Watching the bogan-tracksuit pregnant-at-16 parade in the afternoons

Bus 400

The Canberra Times Times2 section has a thing on the In2Change thing. I suspect that they should of tried to bring this In2Change thing forward a month.

Snorzac

what? do you mean back, to May, it was planned for now.

Bus 400

I know that, with the plans including a farewell thing on Friday. But it will still be open for another month. It would of had a better effect on the last weekday opening.

Bus 400

I had a look at the drivers facilities near CISAC & to my shock guess what I saw. There was a key left in one of the toilet doors, the door to the lunchroom was just sitting over the doorway (only needed 5-10 minutes more work to screw door on) & all this was secured by a chain wrapped around the fence (no padlock). I ended up driving over to Belconnen Interchange & telling the supervisor who said "I'll have a look in a minute."

I have taken pictures of this poorly securing & the facilities. (that will be posted when I work out how to get around posting errors).

Snorzac

You post one picture, then 'modify inline' putting in one picture at a time.

Bus 400

So that this thread doesn't get too big, I'll post them in Multimedia (http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=1278.0)

Bus 400

The west bound side of Cameron Avenue Bus Station is now complete, with work starting on the city bound side now.
Work is now starting on the Lathlain Street Bus Station, with form work for the shelters almost complete.
Cohen Street Bus Station is almost complete, with just shelters & platforms signs to go up.
The traffic lights at the intersection of Cohen Street & Josephson Street became operational at 15:00 07/05/09

Busnerd

Are they just adshel shelters?

And are there any other seats besides the ones in the shelters? You would hope at least three, three seater seats should be put in at each stop, or maybe a small brick wall behind the stops that people could sit on.

Bus 400

Going by the form work & Bus Station diagrams of what bus bus stops at which platform, it looks like that is the case. I suppose ACTION's idea is that because people will be spread over 3 bus stations, there won't be that many more people waiting at the stands.

I would like to know if bus drivers will be made to stop at each bus station, or will only stop if someone signals/press the bell?

Busnerd

They are in the shifts, it has departure times for each stand and which stand to stop at, so it will be the same as an interchange thing, and since it operates as an interchange they will have to stop there.

Bus 400

I suspect that hell may break loose if we see an early bus that has to wait at a stand as another few (who are on time/late) come in behind them. I also wonder which stand these RedEx things will stop at? Unless they may have a special, extra stand.

Busnerd

There is no foreseeable problems with this, it will work the same as an interchange.

Irisbus Rider

RedEx is a while away TP3000.......

I think the facilities for passengers are just pathetic, in comparison to the Interchange, we are getting short changed, in a major way!

Buzz Killington

Dare i say it, but i believe you've just coined a new term for the Bus Stations!

"Shortchange"

Snorzac

According to Win News there will be a temporary station on Laithland st.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Mini Mat on May 13, 2009, 06:49:18 PM
According to Win News there will be a temporary station on Laithland st.
(A) It's 'Lathlain' Street
(B) What part of this is news to you? The fact that it's temporary or that it's on Lathlain Street.

The Lathlain St Station will be replaced by the permanent Westfield Bus Station in 2010.

Snorzac

I was making a point of the fact that WIN actually said Lathlaind st. Not Lathlain.

Bus 400

With just over a week to go here is an update.

Cohen Street Bus Station
Cement work was being finished off today. Is mostly just waiting for shelters & stand information to be installed.

Lathlain Street Bus Station
Form work for shelters is now in place. Is only waiting on shelters & stand information to be installed.

Cameron Avenue Bus Station
West bound is waiting on shelter & stand information to be installed & old infrastructure to be removed. City bound is waiting on bus bay work & cementing as well as shelter's & stands to be installed. This Bus Station is likely to just be completed by next Monday (going by how long the other side took).

Development Applications have also been posted for the demolition of Old Belconnen Interchange & extension of Cohen Street. Only the demolition has plans so far (http://apps.actpla.act.gov.au/pubnote/pubnoteDetail_new.asp?DA_no=200913888)

smitho

Belconnen Familiarisation Tours of new bus stations are being run by ACTION next week - See Community Noticeboard in today's CT for details.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Mini Mat on May 15, 2009, 04:19:45 PM
I was making a point of the fact that WIN actually said Lathlaind st. Not Lathlain.
In which case you should have written "According to Win News there will be a temporary station on Laithland st (sic)." Although "sic" is usually meant for when quoting something written rather than what is said aloud.

(Don't they teach anything at school these days!)

Or else you could have used quotes around Laithland.

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on May 16, 2009, 10:18:58 AM
Belconnen Familiarisation Tours of new bus stations are being run by ACTION next week - See Community Noticeboard in today's CT for details.
Or view this web page http://www.action.act.gov.au/bus_tour.html

Does this mean that ACTION are confident the work will be complete by Wednesday?

Irisbus Rider

Wow, they are quite optimistic, I have a sneaking suspiscion that they are primarily waiting on AdShel, but then again. AdShel have to wait until it's completed before they install their shelters.....

The Cameron Av station will be a struggle IMO.....

Barry Drive

Quote from: Martin on March 17, 2009, 11:43:55 AM
I have no idea where the ticket office, lost property or supervisors will be located.
To answer my own question (partly) - there will be no ticket office, but there will be an information booth somewhere on Lathlain St (for ticket sales you will need to go to the Belconnen Mall Newsagents); lost property will be relocated to the City Interchange office; still no details on the supervisors.

The Love Guru

Supervisors office is to be in the depot where all the cunstruction was going on upstairs. They will be roving around a lot though.

Bus 400

It looks like Cameron Ave Bus Station is a rushed job. There will be no bus bays on City bound bays & there is a cement block the size of the width of a bus shelter at each platform. With the AdShel bus shelter behind the cement block. But then again, I suspect that this will be the less used bus station (outside peak hours).

Adshel bus shelters were being put in on West Belconnen bound platforms of Lathlain Street Bus Station this morning. But highly likely that this work will be completed by tomorrow.

smitho

Dismantling begins: Workers were removing safety signs on the southbound up ramp to the interchange around 1030 this am.
Familiarisation tour: Includes a loop through the Belconnen Depot. One passenger on the first tour enquired whether the Depot was going to be demolished as part of the 'improvements'!

Bus 400

Dismantling has also begun in the layover are at Belconnen Interchange, with parts of it being ripped up today.

Snorzac

I don't know where you get that from.....because they haven't ripped anything up!!

Bus 400

If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take a picture of it.

Bus 400

I found out that each bus station has a bollard with bus information. But there is little to no staff directing passengers to the correct platform during off peak. I ended up guiding quite a few passengers as to which bus station they were to get off at.

Also the Benjamin Way entrance road to the Old Belconnen Interchange isn't fenced off.

Also in today's Canberra Times, the general manager states that the next challenge to fix is City Interchange, while most would of suspected Woden.

Busnerd

The city does need work done, good thing is it's in fairly good condition now, they just need a few improvements, so it's easier to do that now instead of Woden.

Buzz Killington

Heads up, WIN News have a story on the interchange closure, complete with footage of a confused commuter being greeted with a fenced off interchange. "Commuters caught out!"

Bus 400

Does anyone know what the Platform arrangements are for Transborder in Belconnen? As they previously used Platform 1 at Belconnen Interchange, but I haven't seen any details at the bus stations or on their website.

Irisbus Rider

Saw the bus picking up on Cohen St, but I believe it travels through all 3 bus stations. They ought to let the public know where to catch it from though.

Barry Drive

Quote from: TP 3000 on May 25, 2009, 11:51:25 AM
I found out that each bus station has a bollard with bus information. But there is little to no staff directing passengers to the correct platform during off peak.
Actually, each bus station has two bollards with bus information (one on each side of the road). And every stop has a map of that bus station. Unless you can't read you don't need someone to direct you.

Bus 400

As some may of overheard, the guys on the ACTION radio have for most peakhour afternoon's been telling bus drivers to slow down on Lathlain Street. This has to do with the public walking anyway they want to get their connecting bus. So I was wondering what do others think of maybe ACTION installing a high fence down the median strip of Lathlain Street Bus Station? I know that this may take a while since Cohen Street Bus Station still have temporary fencing around the garden.

Also I am wondering wether anyone else knows if Belconnen Quickfix is being shut for good or not? As every morning when I go past, the big gate is across it. Also when is the other exit gate from Belconnen Depot onto Josephson Street open?

Irisbus Rider

The other exit gate is open whenever a driver tags their card on it.

Quickfix?

A parramatta style fence would be an idea on Lathlain, but appropriate road crossing techniques would be required.

Bus 400

I do mean the gate right in front of Platform 1.

Snorzac

Quote from: Virusbus Rider on May 29, 2009, 10:02:09 PM
Quickfix?
The building at the entry to the depot. It is/was used in peak hours for when buses have minor problems, the driver drives it into quickfix and it is fixed quickly.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: TP 3000 on May 29, 2009, 09:58:58 PM
As some may of overheard, the guys on the ACTION radio have for most peakhour afternoon's been telling bus drivers to slow down on Lathlain Street. This has to do with the public walking anyway they want to get their connecting bus. So I was wondering what do others think of maybe ACTION installing a high fence down the median strip of Lathlain Street Bus Station? I know that this may take a while since Cohen Street Bus Station still have temporary fencing around the garden.

Well I don't think ACTION would personally install a fence down the median, that would be their mother departments job to do so a they maintain the road.

A fence would be good; however a High one would not be aesthetically pleasing. You would want a fence which is on a concrete median, where the fence is just a standard black painted metal 'garden' style fence like those found on the Brisbane Busway. I have only ever seen one person try and tackle the Busway fencing. Signage informing people of the direction of the lights and not to cross the road would also be required, yes people are that dumb and a fence without signage (Even with signage, however then they cannot say they were not told) would still make them attempt it.

Bus 400

I had a drive past Old Belconnen Interchange, it looks like nothing has been done. I say this as the trolleys are still where the lazy people dumped them. But it looks eerie.

lukeo25

urbex time 4 me :) to explore the old interchange

Bus 400

The following companies applied for the tender for "T09104-Construction: Cohen Street Extension and Replacement of Pedestrian Bridge from Churches Centre to Westfield Shopping Mall, Belconnen":

HAWKINS CIVIL ENGINEERING PTY LTD
ABERGELDIE CONTRACTORS PTY LTD
BMD CONSTRUCTIONS PTY LTD
DALE & HITCHCOCK CIVIL ENGINEERING & LANDSCAPING

While these people applied for the tender for "T09103-Construction: Cohen Street Extension and Demolition of Existing Bus Interchange"
DELTA PTY. LTD.
CARDINAL HOLDINGS (AUST) PTY LTD
BMD CONSTRUCTIONS PTY LTD
IRWIN & HARTSHORN PTY LTD
DELORCO PTY LTD

Bus 400

The bus stops on Emu Bank near Lake Ginninderra College were decommissioned this morning.

Bus 400

I have been told of a problem with buses exiting Cohen Street Bus Station. As most people should know buses from Platforms 1/2 exit via lights at Josephson Street & the buses turn left from the median strip to Cohen Street. But some drivers haven't been told that you are only meant to exit onto Cohen Street when you have a green B light, not when the normal green light is up. I have been told that a driver was following another bus out & got the horn & he didn't know why. But as described above he got caught.

Barry Drive

Quote from: TP 3000 on May 27, 2009, 10:03:17 PM
Does anyone know what the Platform arrangements are for Transborder in Belconnen? As they previously used Platform 1 at Belconnen Interchange, but I haven't seen any details at the bus stations or on their website.
There was a hand-written sign at the Lathlain St shed saying that Transborder departs from platform 6.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Martin on June 08, 2009, 04:37:43 PM
There was a hand-written sign at the Lathlain St shed saying that Transborder departs from platform 6.
Ha, good to see Deanes Transit group taking an effort there ::)

Buzz Killington

I'd say it was probably ACTION who didn't think to include Deanes/Transborder services on their signage.

Bus 400

At Woden, Deanes Group put their own signs in.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 12, 2009, 07:30:20 PM
I'd say it was probably ACTION who didn't think to include Deanes/Transborder services on their signage.
ACTION shouldn't be responsible for another operator. Deanes TG already get enough from ACTION (Platform in City Interchange). Out to Northbourne with you lot!

Buzz Killington

If that operator is going to be using your facilities/interchanges, you may as well include their routes on your signage, rather than having cheap paper signs stuck everywhere because you neglected to do so.

Some ACTION stops around the place list Deanes services, the interchange maps online list them too, so i fail to see the issue.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 12, 2009, 07:56:03 PM
If that operator is going to be using your facilities/interchanges, you may as well include their routes on your signage, rather than having cheap paper signs stuck everywhere because you neglected to do so.

Some ACTION stops around the place list Deanes services, the interchange maps online list them too, so i fail to see the issue.
If Deanes were paying to use the old Belconnen Interchange, then ACTION would have a responsibility of service toward Deanes, but as far as I know, that wasn't the case.
Although,it would help ACTIONs image if they helped out other companies, i.e. putting up Transborders timetable information.

But I have a feeling I know what has happened, ACTION probably haven't even given Transborder any instructions on where to stop, that may explain this stiuation.

Bus 400

The rest of the carpark out the front of Belconnen Depot on the corner of Cohen Street & Nettleford Street is to be turned into retail space.

This would be the best place to have "smoko's" out the back & watch the going ons of Belconnen Workshop. But this will not take away one of my photo spots.

Also the on street parking on Cohen Street is to be removed soon.

Bus 400

For those watching the TAMS website for Belco Town Centre (http://www.tams.act.gov.au/live/about_our_department/community_engagement/community_engagement_activities_and_events/belconnen_town_centre_improvements)

A few funny pics have been posted in the Gallery & a proposed timeline for works is also up. This includes demolition on old Belco Interchange to start this month & to take 16 weeks & the work now won't be finished till October 2010 (I propose it won't all be complete until Summer 2010/2011).

Bus 400

On Sunday I had a look around Belco Interchange, so much has been done NOT!!

There was a huge skip type bin there & "Demolition In Progress" signs around the perimeter. It did appear as if maybe the rooms in the tower were being unfitted first.

Bus 400

RiotACT brings us news/photos that the demolition of Belconnen Interchange is finally underway (http://the-riotact.com/?p=12976)

Busnerd

You can just smell the asbestos from here!

Bus 400

The interchange shelter is gone the whole length of the platforms. I have taken the last photos from Benjamin Way walkway ever. As the walkway is now closed. I found out the hard way as all exits have a blockade across them except for the Chan Street entrance.

Busnerd

How do you know no one else took photos there?

Bus 400

I did see them fix the Chan Street sign after me, but don't fully know.

Irisbus Rider

Saw a few public servants using that corridor today heading to and from the mall. Might check it out tomorrow.....

Bus 400

Benjamin Way will be shut between Chan Street/Cameron Avenue & Swanson Court from 17:00 10 October 2009 to 06:00 16 October 2009 for the demolition of the old bridge.(http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/160764/Benjamin_Way_Belconnen.pdf)

On another note, the red bridge that provides access to Westfield Belconnen will be closed from 31 August 2009 so that it can be relocated. (http://www.tams.act.gov.au/live/about_our_department/community_engagement/community_engagement_activities_and_events/belconnen_town_centre_improvements/key_dates/relocation_of_the_red_bridge)

Bus 400

Charnwood residents have done something so that their bus shelters on Lathlain Street so that they know which ones to use.

Snorzac

Quote from: TP 3000 on September 09, 2009, 11:17:58 AM
Charnwood residents have done something so that their bus shelters on Lathlain Street so that they know which ones to use.
???

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on September 09, 2009, 11:17:58 AM
YF!

Bus 400

Platform 4 on Cameron Avenue Bus Station now has a taxi rank at the rear end & a bus shelter is currently been put in at the same platform.

The fencing has finally been completed at Cohen Street Bus Station

Bus 400

As many would know the no entry signs that ACTION had around Belconnen Interchange & transferred those signs to Cohen Street Bus Station. Well ACTION have recently added a new no entry sign to Cohen Street Bus Station. It has the same words but with the new ACTION logo & on a white background. It is located on the median strip on the bus entry/exit road from Belconnen Depot as people shortcut across there rather then walk to the other end of the bus station & then double back.

Bus 400

The bridge has now gone & Benjamin Way has reopened-12 hours earlier then reported. There is a bit more demolition work to go on inside the Belconnen Interchange site

Bus 400

The tower was knocked down over the weekend. Once the steel & cement is cleared this week, that will just about be it. The next work is to get Cohen Street through there.

Buzz Killington

Went for a bit of a drive around the town centre the other night for the first time in ages, looks like a fair bit of work is going on around the place!

Buzz Killington

King Long has put together an article on the last night of Belconnen Interchange, for those who are interested:

http://actbus.net/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=837&Itemid=1

smitho

Noticed today a new set of (non operating) traffic lights east of the safety barrier on the new bus access road connecting Lathlain St with the Westfield Belconnen Mall bus station...

Barry Drive

The adshels for Belconnen East (ABS) have started to be installed. They appear to be the large version, rather than the single seat used everywhere else.

p_stampy

So... do they provide cover from the rain for more than 2 people?

Barry Drive

Can't attest for their rain-protection ability, but they will certainly seat more than 2 people.

belcodriver

Quote from: p_stampy on August 09, 2010, 06:50:44 PM
So... do they provide cover from the rain for more than 2 people?

Probably not, no doubt following the reprehensible anti-homeless people design philosophy, seeing as it's illegal to be poor.

Bus 400

Quote from: MyWay on August 09, 2010, 12:07:43 PM
The adshels for Belconnen East (ABS) have started to be installed. They appear to be the large version, rather than the single seat used everywhere else.

The same thing has gone up at Westfield Belconnen Bus Station.

Bus 400

In relation to the Westfield Belconnen Bus Station, only the walkway between the bus station & the current Westfield building (upper floor) has to be open by end of October. Other sections are to open in November & it is all to be complete by end of March 2011. There is a little bit of chaos going on at the moment, with it being a push for Westfield Belconnen walkway being finished by end of October.

Snorzac

Where did you get this information? My mum (an executive at Westfield Belconnen) just looked at your post and said that the information you are giving is an epic fail.

Bus 400

Barry Drive

The Chandler Street overpass has recently been painted a dark grey / blue. Looks really good.

smitho

Work on the ABS Station (now called Belconnen Community Station) is coming along well and all the tarmac work, and most of the paving and shelter construction work, seem near completion. Lighting also looks near completion. It looks as if they're adopting a blue theme for this Station.

Some landscaping work still to do, but a good number of largish manchurian pear (shade) trees have been planted in recent days, so in time,  hopefully the area won't be quite so bleak and shadeless as Cohen St Station.

Not much evidence of Lake Ginninderra College Station yet although all the linking road works from the site of the old Belconnen Interchange (now partly occupied by the community Station) have been completed. As at last weekend, an Adshell type thingo was under construction on the site of the eastern entry/exit road to/from the old Interchange. An old goose neck light pole at that old entrance is still in situ.

Hardly anything from the old Interchange bus layover area remains other than a section of the kerbing from the old down ramp which has been preserved only because the construction company huts are perched over the top of it.

At the Westfield Station site, what I take to be the Bus Lounge building is largely complete but is yet to be fitted out. You can walk through a portion of it to access the existing Food Court. The platforms and overhead canopies and tarmac areas are close to completion. You can easily see these structures from the Lathlain St Bus Station and from the Red Bridge.

A great deal of landscaping work is going on along the bus lanes between the Community Station and Westfield Station sites....some of the stone faced parts of the old Belconnen Busway retaining walls are incorporated into the new construction, although most of the retaining walls are new bare concrete structures featuring a tree pattern (which looks quite effective).

As at the Community Station, large plantings of manchurian pear trees will soften the look of things and provide useful shade as time goes by. 

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on September 29, 2010, 04:10:59 PM
Not much evidence of Lake Ginninderra College Station yet ...
There won't be a Lake Ginninderra College Station - just two bus stops: one on Eastern Valley Way (south) and another on Emu Bank across the road from McDonalds. The (small) AdShels for both of these stops are now being installed. Presumably the bunker shelter on Emu Bank will be removed later.

Also, poles for Parking signs and Parking ticket machines have been installed on Lathlain St in anticipation of the removal of the bus stops.

smitho

Quote from: MyWay on October 01, 2010, 12:09:43 PM
There won't be a Lake Ginninderra College Station - just two bus stops: one on Eastern Valley Way (south) and another on Emu Bank across the road from McDonalds. The (small) AdShels for both of these stops are now being installed. Presumably the bunker shelter on Emu Bank will be removed later.

Also, poles for Parking signs and Parking ticket machines have been installed on Lathlain St in anticipation of the removal of the bus stops.

That's interesting. Hadn't heard that before. The partly built Adshel at the former eastern entrance to the old Interchange would be one of the two you're referring to.

smitho

Noticed that new Network 10 shift cards refer to "Emu Bank Bus Station" (I guess this is what had previously been referred to as the Lake Ginninderra College Bus Station).

Also, the Station on the site of the old Interchange is referred to as the "Belconnen Community Station"...ie. without the word "Bus".

Barry Drive

The traffic light sequence on Cohen St has been changed already to give buses priority - when you get the green light coming down the hill, at Lathlain St there will be a left turn arrow. Similarly when exiting the bus station (B light), there will be a green light at Lathlain.

Bus 400

Trying to work out the new roads. Can normal traffic access Cohen Street from the Benjamin Way left turn lane? It appears that traffic heading west on Emu Bank can't access Cohen Street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snorzac

The Cohen st extension will be buses only except for a small part off Lathlain st to give access to the Westfield Carpark.

Barry Drive

Cohen St between Lathlain and Benjamin will be fully open to normal traffic. Between Benjamin and Emu Bank will be buses only.

Barry Drive

Top effort! The street signs have gone in at Cohen / Lathlain. Problem is it says "LAITHLAIN ST".

Snorzac

Lol. Cohen will be buses only all along the new part. My source: the giant writing on the road.

EDIT: I stand corrected

Barry Drive

The outside lanes will be BUS ONLY (although this may not be legally enforceable since the road rules do not have any provisions for bus only lanes), with inside lanes + turning lanes for all traffic.

smitho

Looking at the Westfield Bus Lounge and adjoining new buildings, there seems to be a great deal of work that will need to be done in quick time if these facilities are to open on 15 Nov.

Bus 400

The fences have been removed from around the Westfield Bus Station. Work looks pretty much done at the Community Bus Station, with the west bound bus stop on Benjamin Way being right in front of the old Interchange exit road.

Barry Drive

Quote from: MyWay on October 19, 2010, 07:54:51 PM
Top effort! The street signs have gone in at Cohen / Lathlain. Problem is it says "LAITHLAIN ST".
Incorrect signs have been replaced.

Sir

Still a bit of work to go down at the ABS Station, mainly cleaning up and finishing paving. Inside Belco up on level 3 near the food court the wooden wall has being taken down so you can see the walk way to the bus staion. No shops yet and there is a temp fence still there, but other than a quick clean inside looks ready!

smitho

Yeah, it looks to me as if the bus station access way will open well before those shops are fitted out.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: ACTION WebsiteFree bus station familiarisation tour

As part of the Belconnen Community Festival on Saturday 13 November 2010, ACTION will run free familiarisation bus tours of the new bus stations providing people with an opportunity to visit the Westfield and Belconnen Community Bus Stations. Bus tours will commence at 11.30 am (after Westfield's Santa Parade).

Barry Drive

For more photos and commentary on the new Belconnen Stations, read D.C.Haas's blog.

Bus 400

The bollards have been removed from Lathlain Street & Cameron Avenue Bus Stations, with the timetables sticky taped onto shelters/brick walls (won't last too long in this rain).

I can see an accident happening where buses leave Westfield Bus Station & re-join Cohen Street (Community Bus Station bound) as one day a car isn't going to see the bus leaving/entering & go through the Give Way sign. But in all the set up from Eastern Valley Way through to Cohen Street Bus Station looks a good set up for getting buses through quickly & we the 3 bridges over Cohen Street, it should provide a few good locations for bus photography.

Sir

Has anyone got any images of the finished westfield station? And what real time display was ment to be installed?

400:D

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 14, 2010, 04:09:16 PM
The bollards have been removed from Lathlain Street & Cameron Avenue Bus Stations, with the timetables sticky taped onto shelters/brick walls (won't last too long in this rain).

I can see an accident happening where buses leave Westfield Bus Station & re-join Cohen Street (Community Bus Station bound) as one day a car isn't going to see the bus leaving/entering & go through the Give Way sign. But in all the set up from Eastern Valley Way through to Cohen Street Bus Station looks a good set up for getting buses through quickly & we the 3 bridges over Cohen Street, it should provide a few good locations for bus photography.

The rain will destroy that paper unless its under good shelter. The accident you describe can easily happen as when I was in Newcastle (livin :D) A bus ignored a stop sign I think or a give way and hit/grazed/lightly hit the back of the car I was in so these things can happen. Bus stations, Buses and photography, is there a better mix.

smitho

Quote from: MyWay on November 11, 2010, 12:59:57 PM
For more photos and commentary on the new Belconnen Stations, read D.C.Haas's blog.

Thanks Martin; that blog review of the Belco bus stations makes some pretty interesting points.

p_stampy

I'd just like to add that the bus shelters at the westfield stop are decent enough when it's raining. Happy Stampy.

Bus 400

Work has now begun ripping up the old carpark on Cohen Street near the Belconnen Depot entrance. I am unsure what it is meant to be, but I was told of a rumour it is to be shops of some sort.

p_stampy

More shops and no parking? sounds good...