Rock throwing prevention screens to be installed on bridges

Started by Barry Drive, August 26, 2009, 12:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Jon Stanhope media release:

QuoteReleased 26/08/2009

Safety screens will be installed on bridges across the ACT starting from next month as part of a $2.4 million ACT Government initiative to prevent rock-throwing at vehicles, Chief Minister and Minister for Transport Jon Stanhope announced today.

"The ACT Government is installing safety screens on 14 bridges in effort to prevent rock-throwing at vehicles," Mr Stanhope said. "Screens will be installed on pedestrian bridges crossing Erindale Drive, Ginninderra Drive, Isabella Drive, Carruthers Street and the Cotter Road vehicle bridge by Christmas.

"Screens will be installed on another nine bridges over this term.

"Sites were chosen based on several criteria including the type of road under the bridge, the level of pedestrian access and whether the bridge was near a school, hotel or club.

"Safe alternative pedestrian routes will be put in place while the work is taking place and every effort will be made to avoid disruptions to traffic during peak periods."

Mr Stanhope said the initiative was in response to reported incidents, both locally and interstate, of rock-throwing at vehicles.

"Rock-throwing at vehicles is not just a silly prank - it can cause serious damage and injury," Mr Stanhope said. "The Government is taking responsible action now to prevent a serious incident in the future.

"I urge people to report incidents to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000."

Screens will be installed at the following locations by Christmas:

•Erindale Drive pedestrian bridge between Wanniassa and Monash;
•Ginninderra Drive pedestrian bridge between North Lyneham and Lyneham;
•Isabella Drive pedestrian bridge between Fadden and Chisholm;
•Cotter Road vehicle bridge over Tuggeranong Parkway, Curtin; and
•Carruthers Street vehicle/pedestrian bridge over Yarra Glen between Curtin and Deakin.

Screens will be installed at the following locations over this term:

•Yamba Drive pedestrian bridge between Mawson and O'Malley;
•Kent Street vehicle/pedestrian bridge on Adelaide Avenue, Deakin/Yarralumla;
•Cotter Road vehicle bridge over Adelaide Avenue, Deakin/Yarralumla;
•Parkes Way pedestrian bridge between City and Acton (between Commonwealth Avenue and Edinburgh Avenue);
•Chandler St vehicle/pedestrian bridge over busway, Belconnen;
•Belconnen Way pedestrian bridge between Bruce and Aranda;
•Luxton Street vehicle/pedestrian bridges over Joynton Smith Drive, Belconnen;
•Edinburgh Avenue vehicle/pedestrian bridges over Parkes way, City/Acton; and
•Flynn Drive vehicle/pedestrian bridges over Forster Crescent, Yarralumla.

Badly worded, as per usual.
Quote"Screens will be installed on pedestrian bridges crossing Erindale Drive, Ginninderra Drive, Isabella Drive, Carruthers Street and the Cotter Road vehicle bridge by Christmas.
It is not a pedestrian bridge which crosses Carruthers St, it is Carruthers St which passes over Yarra Glen.

Busnerd

This is an interesting move, you would have hope Canberra would never need anything like this, but then there was a rock throwing in Orange the other week, so I guess it can happen anywhere...

I hope they go with cage/fence type screens and not plastic or glass, as that will encourage scratchitti, once the ferals work out they can do it on a bridge the buses will be next.

Sir Pompously

The bridge at Chisholm has been closed off, and roadwork signs installed on Isabella Drive, I would say in preparation to these screens being installed. To access Chisholm by bike or foot, you must either brave the road or ride down near Fadden Pines for underpass access.

smitho

Quote from: Sir Pompously on September 09, 2009, 08:01:51 PM
The bridge at Chisholm has been closed off, and roadwork signs installed on Isabella Drive, I would say in preparation to these screens being installed. To access Chisholm by bike or foot, you must either brave the road or ride down near Fadden Pines for underpass access.

Yes, there is a sign saying that the closure is necessary for the 'safety screens' to be installed. The Cotter Rd overpass across Yarra Glen/Adelaide Ave is supposed to get them also, and also the Hopetoun overpass as I recall.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Sir Pompously on September 09, 2009, 08:01:51 PM
The bridge at Chisholm has been closed off, and roadwork signs installed on Isabella Drive, I would say in preparation to these screens being installed.

Either that or they're trying to keep the Chisholmites from escaping out of their prison suburb.

Irisbus Rider

Gees, Tuggeranong. Why bother......

Sad to see these installed, but they're absolutely necesary to maintain the safety of drivers.