Renaults a-go-go partie deux

Started by Barry Drive, June 21, 2014, 01:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

With the new Scania K320s set to enter service from next week, there will be 77 (or so) Renaults to be withdrawn. This topic is for discussion of all withdrawals from June 2014 onwards.

A possible candidate for the first withdrawal has arrived at Belconnen Depot: 874. Too soon to be certain though.

volvo

Are the 77 or so buses to go just the PR100.2's? If so, I wonder how much longer the PR100.3's will be around for...

Is it safe to say that by the time the last Scania K320 is delivered (2017??) there will be no PR100.2's left?

Snorzac

nope, if they go one for one on age everything from 933 onwards will be safe

Barry Drive

Quote from: volvo on July 01, 2014, 08:10:44 AM
Are the 77 or so buses to go just the PR100.2's? If so, I wonder how much longer the PR100.3's will be around for...

Is it safe to say that by the time the last Scania K320 is delivered (2017??) there will be no PR100.2's left?
Both good questions. The answer to both at the moment is: we don't know. There could be some PR100.3 withdrawals (see below), but the bulk will be PR100.2s.

As to how much longer the PR100.3s will be around - that's up to the ACT Government. They have committed to 100% low floor by 2022, but given these buses are already 20 years old, I don't know if they can remain in service for that long.

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on June 21, 2014, 01:50:23 PM
A possible candidate for the first withdrawal has arrived at Belconnen Depot: 874. Too soon to be certain though.
874 ended up not being withdrawn - it appears as though 990 has been withdrawn instead.

smitho

Quote from: volvo on July 01, 2014, 08:10:44 AM

Understand that the priority will be retiring PR3s rather than PR2s ....

Snorzac

Smitho given the current refurbishment (semi-refurbishment) of some of the PR3s such as 108 and 120, this has clearly changed

The Love Guru

992 and 928 have both seen the seat refurb treatment too

Barry Drive

998 & 999 as well.

I can confirm that 990 is being withdrawn, but I'm uncertain whether it was due to the new buses or some other reason (accident / mechanical failure). Given their age though, I wouldn't be surprised if any Renault with accident or mechanical failure is withdrawn rather than repaired from here on out.

The Love Guru

928 has MAN type seat material I think, just double check when you get back tonight.

Snorzac

I was behind it yesterday and can confirm that at least the back seat is done in MAN fabric...pretty safe to say the rest is all done as well.

smitho

Quote from: Captain Skybed on July 01, 2014, 11:58:36 PM
Smitho given the current refurbishment (semi-refurbishment) of some of the PR3s such as 108 and 120, this has clearly changed
Am reporting what I've been told...they may (or may not) be wrong.

But the comparatively low availability of PR3s, due to their high maintenance requirements, makes them a prime target for withdrawal.

The Love Guru

Low availability must be a T issue as they are no better or worse than the .2s at B.

Busnerd

Entire pr100.2 bus in rainbow pride? Now that will look interesting!

King of Buses

After going past Woden earlier in the week, I noticed quite a few PR100.3's. Many with ads on the back and one was green (presumably 992).
Does anyone know what has and hasn't being withdrawn?

Also with 860 being withdrawn, 878 was at T Depot in 860's spot.

Snorzac

I believe since the site has been down 991-995 as well as 885 have been withdrawn!

The Love Guru

990-995 and 885 are withdrawn. 896 possible candidate as requires engine work done to it. Wait and see on that one.

volvo

Quote from: Captain Skybed on July 01, 2014, 08:56:45 AM
nope, if they go one for one on age everything from 933 onwards will be safe

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on July 01, 2014, 10:40:22 AM
As to how much longer the PR100.3s will be around - that's up to the ACT Government. They have committed to 100% low floor by 2022, but given these buses are already 20 years old, I don't know if they can remain in service for that long.
874 ended up not being withdrawn - it appears as though 990 has been withdrawn instead.

As we have seen, ACTION don't really seem to be retiring buses on the basis of age - but regardless of that, you're right, there will still be some Renaults that are safe. The question is, how long will they be safe for? As you pointed out ACTbusspotter, the newest of the Renaults are already about 20 years old...

Actually, I'd be interested to know on what basis ACTION withdraw their buses - I've been on some PR100.2's that seem in good condition, they ride comfortably and they're not too loud, and they get withdrawn soon afterwards, but I've been on others that seem like they should have been withdrawn months ago...

Finally - where do these buses go? I've seen a few of them pop up on Pickles, but not anywhere near as many as are withdrawn - surely a bus removed from service is not going to be in poor enough condition to go to scrap (unless it's had an accident)?

Barry Drive

Quote from: volvo on August 01, 2014, 12:03:19 PM
Actually, I'd be interested to know on what basis ACTION withdraw their buses -

Finally - where do these buses go? I've seen a few of them pop up on Pickles, but not anywhere near as many as are withdrawn - surely a bus removed from service is not going to be in poor enough condition to go to scrap (unless it's had an accident)?
The next few withdrawals should answer the question of the basis for withdrawal. At this point, only the prototype PR100.3 buses (or PR100.2½ as they are sometimes referred to) have been withdrawn. I'm expecting all 10 PR100.2 Mk1s to go next with other withdrawals based on operational requirements.

ACTION have offered buses for sale directly and through Pickles but, given the age of the vehicles and low demand for step-entry buses from private operators, those that don't get sold are being sent to scrap. Current scrapyard is Access Recycling at Fyshwick, where several buses (including artics) are visible from Lithgow St.

Skitube

Report from Woden:
991-994 spotted, 991 and 994 at the back, 992 and 993 at the front
550 still there, no sighting of new CB80s
no sightings of additional darts
no sign of 995...

volvo

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 01, 2014, 01:15:02 PM
At this point, only the prototype PR100.3 buses (or PR100.2½ as they are sometimes referred to) have been withdrawn.

Sorry, I don't know that much about the PR100.3's - but they have some of the mechanical parts from the PR100.2's, don't they? If so, wouldn't it make sense to keep them, as some parts for the PR100.2's would fit them...

I suppose 25-year old (approx) high-floor buses aren't really a very big market, like you said.

Buzz Killington

To paraphrase what I've heard, some parts for the Irisbuses are becoming hard to come by (lol), and these parts can be sourced from the PR100.3's, which may be part of the reason we've seen 990-995 withdrawn.

Barry Drive

Quote from: volvo on August 02, 2014, 05:31:08 PM
Sorry, I don't know that much about the PR100.3's - but they have some of the mechanical parts from the PR100.2's, don't they? If so, wouldn't it make sense to keep them, as some parts for the PR100.2's would fit them...
That's hardly a reason to keep them, especially when there are over 100 real PR100.2s in service.

Take a look at the specifications for the PR100.3 - the buses after 995 (i.e. the ones not withdrawn) have a different spec: Euro 2 engine, intercooler and better brakes.

Given that Austral Denning are no longer around, I wouldn't be surprised if 990-995 were all kept for use as body part donors to keep the remaining vehicles going for the next 8 years.

volvo

smitho

"Spring into ACTION" blurb refers to Network 14 improvements including "Cleaner = Improvements to our older bus fleet"....no further details given.

May be unrelated to these improvements, but an elderly PR2 (800 series) I had yesterday was spotless inside...upholstery in good nick and deep cleaned, immaculate windows and floor. Had been a long time since I'd seen an oldie looking this good. Can't recall number.

volvo

I was on Bus 903 today and noticed the same thing. It was very clean and pleasant, and the engine was very quiet and smooth as well so perhaps ACTION are doing up the older buses mechanically and cosmetically.

King of Buses

Quote from: volvo on August 07, 2014, 04:18:39 PM
...so perhaps ACTION are doing up the older buses mechanically and cosmetically.

Some are still as rough as ever...

cough..912,948...cough  ::)

But maybe they aren't up to those yet in terms of giving them special clean-outs or whatever

Barry Drive

Withdrawn today (?): 852. Which probably indicates that no more PR100.3s will go. 9 Mk1s now remain.

volvo

Quote from: King of Buses on August 07, 2014, 07:39:57 PM
Some are still as rough as ever...

cough..912,948...cough  ::)

But maybe they aren't up to those yet in terms of giving them special clean-outs or whatever

Either that, or they're prioritizing which ones to refurbish and just not bothering with others; it would make sense to not bother with ones soon to be withdrawn, but to do the refurb on buses that will be in service for a few more years.

Just out of interest, because I don't know that much about ACTION's previous fleets - what has the longest time ACTION have kept buses in service been?

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 11, 2014, 06:12:18 PM
Withdrawn today (?): 852. Which probably indicates that no more PR100.3s will go. 9 Mk1s now remain.

Only 9... not enough! Surely some Darts can be sacrificed instead!

Skitube

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 11, 2014, 06:12:18 PM

there goes the oldest in service... they're starting from head end again...

Buzz Killington

Quote from: volvo on August 11, 2014, 08:18:04 PM
Just out of interest, because I don't know that much about ACTION's previous fleets - what has the longest time ACTION have kept buses in service?

The current Renaults hold that record i think. They never used to keep buses around this long. (Refer to the disposal summary on the ACT Bus fleet wiki)

King of Buses

Quote from: Skitube on August 11, 2014, 10:49:23 PM
there goes the oldest in service... they're starting from head end again...

853 is probably next then... A pity though, its a really good MKI... Then again, its the same story as last time with the Artics.. They all have to go :(

volvo

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 11, 2014, 11:16:04 PM
The current Renaults hold that record i think. They never used to keep buses around this long. (Refer to the disposal summary on the ACT Bus fleet wiki)

As I thought. Although, I guess buses probably last longer now than they used to because of new technology and so forth.

Quote from: King of Buses on August 12, 2014, 08:44:07 AM
853 is probably next then... A pity though, its a really good MKI... Then again, its the same story as last time with the Artics.. They all have to go :(

No they don't! We can live without these new Scanias!

King of Buses

Quote from: volvo on August 12, 2014, 05:18:36 PM
No they don't! We can live without these new Scanias!

We could, but the Renaults would all die eventually. They are already 20+ years old and much longer may kill them (or at least a lot of them).

volvo

Quote from: King of Buses on August 12, 2014, 07:26:15 PM
We could, but the Renaults would all die eventually. They are already 20+ years old and much longer may kill them (or at least a lot of them).

I was only being semi-serious but that is a very good point. Although that being said, it seems to me that ACTION withdraw some buses that still could easily have a few years of life left in them...  there is the point that they're high-floor buses though.

smitho

119 remains on the western end of the Tuggy bricks where old buses go to die. ....or at least stripped of any good parts (which may be hard to find in this case).

It retains its MyWay kit but its Nxtbus stuff has been removed.

King of Buses

Not entirely withdrawal related, but a PR2 MKI without a bike rack or front the bike rack fleet numbers was travelling along Drumston St, Isabella Plains then left onto Ellerston (doing a 65? - no - the actual 65 was a MAN diesel about 5 mins before). This was around 1120 this morning. Does anyone know why? It may have been the recently withdrawn 860 but I don't know.

Barry Drive

^ Most likely it was 858 on training duties.

smitho

Quote from: King of Buses on August 21, 2014, 07:17:59 PM
Not entirely withdrawal related, but a PR2 MKI without a bike rack or front the bike rack fleet numbers was travelling along Drumston St, Isabella Plains then left onto Ellerston (doing a 65? - no - the actual 65 was a MAN diesel about 5 mins before). This was around 1120 this morning. Does anyone know why? It may have been the recently withdrawn 860 but I don't know.

860 has been back on the Tuggy bricks for a day or two; can't say I noticed if the bike rack was still in place. 119 was moved from bricks to front of Tuggy Workshops this morning; 118 was in Tuggy revenue service this afternoon.

Barry Drive

It's that time of year when all buses get re-registered for another year. Well, most of them anyway.

Among the buses to not get their rego renewed are: 852 858 860 885.

Those that have include: 119 991 992 993 994 995 986 - so we might be able to assume that these are not officially "withdrawn" just yet.

King of Buses

986? Re-registered?  :popping: Excellent - hopefully that means ACTION won't get rid of it so whoever said before that it may be added to the historic fleet may actually be correct as its been 4 or so months since withdrawal!   ^-^

EDIT: Has it been reregistered as BUS.986 or something else?

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on August 23, 2014, 06:16:25 PM
Has it been reregistered as BUS.986 or something else?
Still "BUS986". Everything points to it being kept for the Heritage fleet. Would prefer that it be kept in service though - doing the occasional school run or charter.

smitho

Bus 119 was in Tuggeranong Workshops yesterday afternoon, minus all of its wheels.

Hmmm....may be it will live to see another day, or alternatively, it was just the start of a scavenger mission.

Buzz Killington

991-995 back at Belco today for decommissioning

The Love Guru

The Love Guru

Fair to say 991 thru 995 will be back next week with 991 sighted being detailed for its return to service

volvo

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 25, 2014, 01:06:40 PM
Still "BUS986". Everything points to it being kept for the Heritage fleet. Would prefer that it be kept in service though - doing the occasional school run or charter.

Yes, being kept in service would be great! But the heritage fleet is better than nothing.
What makes up the "everything" that points to it being kept for the heritage fleet?

Quote from: smitho on August 27, 2014, 01:32:46 PM
Bus 119 was in Tuggeranong Workshops yesterday afternoon, minus all of its wheels.

Hmmm....may be it will live to see another day, or alternatively, it was just the start of a scavenger mission.

If 119's been re-registered, as ACTbusspotter said, then it would be safe to assume that it is being kept in service...

On a slightly different note - I was on 945 for the first time today; what's the deal with the seats? How long have they been like that?
Also, today I was on a PR100.3 (106 I think, but not 100% sure) - I'm pretty sure the side desto was from a PR100.2; can anyone confirm?

Barry Drive

Quote from: volvo on August 29, 2014, 07:55:12 PM
What makes up the "everything" that points to it being kept for the heritage fleet?
(1) Has been re-registered
(2) Has kept its number plates, fleet numbers and ACTION logos
(3) Hasn't been sold / disposed

If 119's been re-registered, then it would be safe to assume that it is being kept in service...
You'd think so, but no assumptions are safe.

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 30, 2014, 10:40:54 AM
(1) Has been re-registered
(2) Has kept its number plates, fleet numbers and ACTION logos
(3) Hasn't been sold / disposed
You'd think so, but no assumptions are safe.

119 might go straight into the heritage fleet.

King of Buses

Quote from: smitho on August 30, 2014, 05:52:27 PM
119 might go straight into the heritage fleet.

If that's the case, they'll fill up Woden with the historic fleet before long (just as long as they don't keep an Iris without the other 19 for parts).
When was the last bus inducted into the historic fleet out of interest, and which one?

Barry Drive

Quote from: The Love Guru on August 28, 2014, 07:09:16 AM
Fair to say 991 thru 995 will be back next week with 991 sighted being detailed for its return to service
As has been posted on Fleetwiki, 993 & 994 were returned to service in late August. 991 & 992 are back at Woden Depot.

852 was recently extracted from Woden and re-registered. Expect it back in service today or shortly afterwards.