A Ride on the Kuranda Railway

Started by Snorzac, July 13, 2009, 10:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorzac

So this is my pictures that were taken in the Kuranda Scenic Railway. If you would like more details on the railway and the area surrounding it visit http://www.kurandascenicrailway.com.au/

First up it is the amazing Baron Falls. This is the location that the train stops at for 10 minutes.

Next up is a different view of the same location.

A view of the Gold Class plaque on the train.

A small portion of the huge Baron Gorge.

A view of the train stopped at Baron Falls Station.

The amazing Stony Creek Falls

A view to the front as the train goes around Horseshoe Bend

A view to the rear on Horseshoe Bend.

A close up view of the locomotives.

Last of all is another view of the train at the station with a whole lot of buses waiting to pick up passengers and take them back to their accommodation.
Next up will be the Skyrail.

smitho

Good pictures - and good weather by the looks of it. This must be one of the oldest continually running tourist trains in the country. Good old QR.
Years ago I took a mixed train out west from Kuranda through the Great Divide to the interesting town of Chillago.

Sir Pompously

Ahhh that brings back memories. It is a great train ride out there. I Don't think they had Gold Class back then, and it was called The Cairns-Kuranda Scenic Railway. You don't by any chance have photos of Kuranda Station? I can see Freshwater, but not Kuranda. Can't wait for the Skyrail photos, that is an interesting ride if you are not afraid of heights like me :P

smitho

Then another branchline I did out that way was to Ravenshoe - worked by an older style, non-airconditioned "rail motor" (ie railcar). Very scenic line. Pity it has been abandoned, like so many others in north Qld.

Back when Bush Pilots Airways was still around, I took one of their DC3 services from Cairns to Normanton then swapped over to the fantastic Normanton-Croydon railway. Drool on both counts...

Sir Pompously

The Gulflander? Must get on that, aswell as the Savannahlander (Now run by a private company with QR Rollingstock) out to Mount Surprise and Forsythe.

There are alot of branch lines abandoned up in Queensland, however the amazing thing is there are still quite a few lines which have a service running to towns with basic needs and essentials. They now do not carry passengers, only freight, however it would be interesting to take a look at trains running on such basic infrastructure, with some of the most scenic views offered!

smitho

Quote from: Sir Pompously on July 15, 2009, 11:30:04 AM

There are alot of branch lines abandoned up in Queensland, however the amazing thing is there are still quite a few lines which have a service running to towns with basic needs and essentials. They now do not carry passengers, only freight, however it would be interesting to take a look at trains running on such basic infrastructure, with some of the most scenic views offered!
Some of the freight trains used to have a carriage attached for passengers (often called a 'drovers' van') and are officially known as Mixed (mixed freight and passenger) trains. I don't know if QR still has any such trains. One, mixed train I travelled on, The Dirranbandi Mixed, even had a sleeping carriage, which I travelled in. We stopped at Goondiwindi for breakfast at the Goondi Railway Refreshment Rooms. From memory, the Diranbandi Mixed only ran once a week.

lukeo25

everytime i see pics of this wonderfull railway i want to go up north and travel on it, its on my to do list of things to do be4 i go back to england when i am older

Carrie

It's a wonderful train trip, it's well worth the trip to Cairns on its own. I took it in 2006. Then we went back via the Skyrail. Now that was scary  :o[for me anyway - I'm scared of heights!] But I'd recommend it as well.