New Belconnen Interchange

Started by Jack Bauer, December 18, 2007, 06:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Bauer

I was just watching WIN news nd caught the last minute of a report which described plans to build a new bus interchange in Belconnen that would be closely linked with Westfield.

Buzz Killington

i believe they're upgrading/refurbing westfield

Irisbus Rider

There was an article in the Chronicle going back to 2004, which completely covered the proposal, and apparently, they are still using the original plans entailed in that article. I'll post some more info when I find the article.

lukeo25

i saw the full report on win news at midnight and the plan is to build bus stops at four different entences by Westfield  so passengers don't have to walk

CanberraTransport

The best part of this is that it will all be finished by the end of 2008, as the interchange is a part of stage one.

Busnerd

Four Stops? Not that stupid 'stops around the city' idea again, but for belco. It does not work in a small city, in larger ones it does as there are too many buses to stop all at the same place, plus different stops in the city service certain areas.

This will not work in canberra, and according to this article from today's times, it will be an in-mall interchange as i said before. It is to also include a waiting lounge.

CanberraTransport

It's a great idea I reckon... and it will rejuvenate not only Westfield Belconnen, but also the interchange - which will be seen as safer to many due to its directness from the mall. A terrific intiative.

Busnerd

Good thing is, all those tongans and bogan copland/lake G tools wont be able to hang around there anymore as it will be inside, and will actually have security guards who will kick any one smoking/drinking or yahooing out on the street where they belong. I wish all interchanges were in shopping centres and patrolled by security. Not by police where theres no patrols for a month and then five in two days.

CanberraTransport

Precisely my sentiments. Hopefully Westfield follow suit and somehow work a similar plan into their current Woden complex. I can't think of a way they could though... without removing much-needed carpark.

Bus 400

Aren't there ideas out to do with Woden where it is a waiting room sort of thing. So maybe after Belconnen, Westfield & the ACT Government MIGHT do something with Woden?

Busnerd

That woden thing has been planned for like ten years.

The first stage has been done, moving the police station, westfield will be eventually extending over the interchange and the green carpark, not sure if it will ever happen, but its been planned for ages. So lets hope they do it in the next five years

joshula

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 20, 2007, 02:05:13 PM
Aren't there ideas out to do with Woden where it is a waiting room sort of thing. So maybe after Belconnen, Westfield & the ACT Government MIGHT do something with Woden?

I hope you right bus 400
some people in canberra want to change over woden

Busnerd

As I said, its been in the planning for about ten years and it will eventually happen. Westfield wants to extend over the interchange, the green carpark and the police station (hence why it moved) and there will be a 'bondi junction' style interchange.

Jack Bauer

I hope you right bus nerd

they are precisely my sentiments  :)

Irisbus Rider

I think the likewise is planned for Belconnen.