Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: MyWay replacement
Last post by triumph - Today at 12:14:36 AM
So the Test lead is an 8 month contract. Advertised 23 days ago. Assuming appointee can start say mid May, implies mid January '25 to complete the work. Ummm.
Photo of the Month / Photo of the Quarter. Voting o...
Last post by Barry Drive - Yesterday at 02:14:41 PM
In the absence of any submissions, here are three photos sent in to ACT Bus:

Bus 931 at Kippax (back when it had a BCC ad). From Facebook user "Jim-Bob"

Bus 676 (in new BCC AOA wrap) at Cohen St. From Instagram user @CanberraTransport

Bus 732 in Isaacs. From '743'

Voting will now commence and close on 1 May.
General Discussion / MyWay+ implementation
Last post by Barry Drive - Yesterday at 10:50:06 AM
As has been revealed elsewhere, preliminary works for the implementation of the new system has begun on buses.

The promised "demonstration buses" have yet to appear, although they can't be too far away.

Since there have been no announcements, I thought I'd speculate about the roll-out: my guess is that the new system will be fully operational by the start of school term 4 (14 October).

Between now and then, we should firstly see an awareness campaign (with the demonstrator buses); this will then be followed by an enrolment campaign - the system will enable accounts to be created and new MyWay cards will be distributed.

Drivers will also need to be registered and trained on the new system prior to implementation.

Lastly, during the Term 3 school holidays, all of the buses and tram stops will have their equipment changed out. (Assuming they can all be done in two weeks.) This will probably result in free fares for two weeks and no operational real time system. During this time, any requested balance transfers will occur.

They might also extend the free fare period once the new system is functional.

Time will tell whether I get any of this right.

Feel free to add your own imaginary timeline.
The Playground / Re: What PT did you get today?...
Last post by triumph - April 26, 2024, 11:00:55 PM
637 (R3)
593 (R3)
Last post by L94UBbusfan - April 26, 2024, 08:16:57 PM
No L94's today  :'(
811 (26) - saw 976 on training duties  ;D
655 (R8)
465 (R8)
001 (R1)
439 (31)
805 (51)
014 (R1)
410 (25)
Last post by triumph - April 25, 2024, 10:24:01 PM
Yesterday
309 (R3)
511 (R4) Next R4, timetabled 6 min later from Cohen St, overtook us at ANU stop opposite Clunies Ross St. - consequence of bus I was on commencing 2min late and loading passengers who should have been on the following service, leading to compounding further delay. Traffic was very light. By Woden 7min late. 2nd following R4 had almost caught up too.
371 (57)
658 (57)
001 (R1)
542 (R9)
329 (R3)

Fleet / Re: 26 Scanias: 2022-24
Last post by L94UBbusfan - April 25, 2024, 07:29:51 PM
Because no one has said anything yet, 732 has entered service today. It was first sighted doing an R9 Belconnen to Watson this morning
Fleet / Re: Renaults a go go: the fina...
Last post by L94UBbusfan - April 25, 2024, 07:27:49 PM
For the very short term, TC will be fine. It will be when 5-10 more CNG L94s are retired and before the Yutong's have some significant deliveries they will be having problems with fleet availability (roughly May-September) and as mentioned MyWay+ works and other maintenance problems will also affect the fleet. I also wondered if some of the 26 Scania's would go to Tuggeranong short-term to cover for L94UBs, but probably too much of a hassle just to be there for a few months.

Anyway, 933 has been updated as retired.
Fleet / Re: Renaults a go go: the fina...
Last post by Snorzac - April 25, 2024, 05:42:27 PM
There's a lot of factors at play here as highlighted, from observation it seems a lot of Belconnen shifts which come on the road around the 9-10am mark both school term and school holidays tend to be Irisbus or artics which may indicate a shortage of standard low floor buses at Belconnen.

Tuggeranong tends to be pretty sound with bus types appearing on the same shifts/runs however I imagine with the number of buses Tuggeranong are without and the potential more will need to be removed they may soon run into issues. 

At the moment there's also many factors at play which will further limit fleet availability, as highlighted on ACT Bus social media if appears the early work for MyWay + is well underway, if you're travelling down Scollay st you can see a shipping container place in the sheds and in off peak times typically 2-3 buses will be parked there getting worked on, one would assume this is a contractor carrying out the work for NEC so there is a further limiting factor on bus availability.

I think for now they will be fine, further retirements may cause issues however, will be interesting to see what happens on the first really cold morning of the year when a lot of the buses end up at the workshops due to heaters not working as they should, this could make for a very turbulent day as far as service reliability goes with the current state of the fleet.