Night Time Bus Services

Started by Bus 400, June 20, 2009, 03:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

After being on the last 907 last Saturday we had a bunch of youngens who (obvoiously) had no idea about bus timetables & were going clubbing in Civic. But of course the last 900 left Cohen Street Bus Station at 23:05 & we arrived at Belconnen at 23:38. Now since this was our last run of the night we could of been a 900 to Tuggers & not have dead run to Tuggers, but we weren't deviating there & the passengers had already called a taxi.

Now my question is does anyone else think that may we need something like the Nightriders all year round. Even if they just follow the planned RedEx services route & people can catch a taxi or walk from that route. I've been told that most drivers only do the Nightriders one year & never again. But why should the public suffer? This would help to reduce drink drivers, but it shouldn't cost $10 as that puts people off maybe just prepaid or maybe even free.

Buzz Killington

I've said before that Nightriders should be year round, even if its just the Intertown and a Club Loop for most of the year.

Irisbus Rider

Have an Intertown operating too, as it's the town centre connector.

But yes, public transport is very necessary to maintain a vibrant and 'happening' nightlife, because Taxis just don't cut it.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Virusbus Rider on June 20, 2009, 04:18:15 PM
Have an Intertown operating too, as it's the town centre connector.

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 20, 2009, 03:28:55 PM
I've said before that Nightriders should be year round, even if its just the Intertown and a Club Loop for most of the year.

Irisbus Rider

Ha ha, my bad.

A Flexibus type of route could be useful, but I haven't thought it through too much.

Barry Drive

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 20, 2009, 03:16:19 PM
After being on the last 907 last Saturday we had a bunch of youngens who (obvoiously) had no idea about bus timetables & were going clubbing in Civic. But of course the last 900 left Cohen Street Bus Station at 23:05 & we arrived at Belconnen at 23:38.
I can't understand why ACTION would schedule a feeder service to arrive at Belconnen (or any interchange) after the last intertown for the night. It's bad enough when intertowns do not have connecting feeder services, but it is pointless having feeders that do not connect to intertowns (even if it's just to City).

Busnerd

Intertowns could work on friday and saturday nights, for at least six months of the year to take party yahoos to their local town centre, therefore making taxi's or that long walk home that little bit easier, and getting them all closer to their homes instead of having to take a 30 minute taxi ride.

Irisbus Rider

I'm sure Taxis could congregate in the town centres to connect with Intertowns; but by doing that, they'll make less cash, and therefore won't do it.......oh damn.

tuckern

As a Uni Student I am one of them party goers and there is nothing worse than waiting in the taxi line for over an hour to get slugged with a $30 cab ride back home. I think ACTION should consider having a NightRider service that follows the intertown routes and to avoid any trouble that may occur (because realisticly there is bound to be some form of trouble), a security guard and pre-paid tickets should be instigated. The service should run either every 30 or 45 minutes. I know I would much rather wait 45 minutes and catch a bus for say $5. It'd be no different to waiting for a taxi apart from the cost. Even if the service only opperated every Thursday, Friday and Saturday and on special events. I think ACTION should really look into it!

Buzz Killington

I definitely agree with you. I'm surprised that the nightclubs haven't lobbied the Government at all to do something like this.

There just seems to be a whole lot of benefits to having year-round Nightriders:

- Nightclubs may get extra patronage from those who used to have to spend fifty bucks taxi-ing there and back
- Less drunk drivers on the road
- Clubbers save money
- Drivers get penalty rates

Busnerd

Not sure if it would get anything going, but perhaps someone could mention this idea on riotACT or something and try and get a petition going around, send it to the clubs and stuff like that and send it in, see if they can get it mentioned to gov't or something.

tuckern

I think it is def somethng that should be started... I'd imagine it would need a lot of peoples support before ACTION even considered putting it on a trial. Didnt there once use to be a NightRider service in Canberra?

Sir Pompously

There is a Nightrider service in Canberra, has been for years. However this service only runs through Dec, and New Years. The service seems to be getting less and less with each year, and prices have risen to $10.

tuckern

There must be a reason behind why the service gets less and less each year. I think this must be first looked at before any petition or submission to ACTION is made. There is no point fighting for a service that nobody is going to use, which raises the question... why dont they want to use the service? These would have to be investigated before any submission was made to ACTION and/or the ACT government.