Network 2012

Started by Barry Drive, October 19, 2011, 04:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

Mayor McCheese had a picture of Bus 408 with a Network 12 side advertisement.

Posters are also popping up at selected bus stops & bus stations.

Irisbus Rider

Another sizeable gap:
28 arrivals at Woden (AM Peak):
7:19am
8:12am

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 14, 2012, 09:56:16 PM
If anyone finds any serious service deficiencies let us know, will try to get articles up on the site.

An error in the combined Xpresso Timetable which includes the 729...route map shows the 729 going via Woden rather than Parkway & Parkes Way

Quote from: smitho on May 16, 2012, 08:42:05 PM
An error in the combined Xpresso Timetable which includes the 729...route map shows the 729 going via Woden rather than Parkway & Parkes Way

No it doesn't.

I just got an ad on Facebook for the new network!

smitho

Quote from: 743 on May 16, 2012, 09:49:32 PM
No it doesn't.

Yes, it does..look at the sketch map on the cover, NOT the route map.

Quote from: smitho on May 17, 2012, 12:38:29 AM
Yes, it does..look at the sketch map on the cover, NOT the route map.
It still doesn't. You can follow each of the four services correctly on that stick map if you think about it. The line that juts out to Woden would only represent the 770 coming down from Monash. The 729 veers diagonally down to the left and directly to the City from Weston Creek.

Yes, of course the travelling public aren't going to think about it, but stick maps aren't designed to be that technical. The descriptions on the back cover and full map are what people really look at.

CNG

when r school holiday shifts going to be released?

Barry Drive

Quote from: Mayor McCheese on May 16, 2012, 12:00:09 AM
Just like to point out a minor error in the 705 timetable, see if you can find it
And once that error was mentioned on twitter, it quickly got fixed. I wonder whether they will fix the (obvious) errors when they are not pointed out.

Irisbus Rider

A continued analysis (where = means unchanged number of services)

21-24: =
25: =
26: =
27: +1 (Cool-Wod)
       +1 (Wod-Cool)
28: =
30: =
31: =
39: +2 (City-Wat-City)
43: =
44: -1 (Kip-Belc)
45: =
50: -1 (Gung-City)
51: =
(earlier Gung-City extensions)
52: =
55: +30
56: =
57: =
58: =
(earlier Gung-Belc extensions)
59: +1 (Gung-Belc)
       -2 (Belc-Gung)
60-66: =
67: -1 (Wod-Tugg)
71, 73-77: =
(an interesting note, the 75, 76, 77 joined together form what looks to be one shift, novel idea)
80: -1 (Wod-City)
81: =
82: +1 (City-BC)
88: =

A couple of observations, there seem to be many 40 min gaps in peak hour on many different routes, which is a worry. But the number of extra services are just astounding, good to see efficiency has been improved.

Bus 400

ACTION have been listening to requests by the public for a particular service to have an easy access bus. On new shifts some of these runs are mentioned that they must be an accessible bus.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 12, 2012, 02:54:55 PM
If I understand correctly, they will have data for this week but then nothing next week?
Google Transit still working and picking up "old" routes/timetables. But will it refresh on Monday?

Bus 400

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 22, 2012, 03:56:48 PM
Google Transit still working and picking up "old" routes/timetables. But will it refresh on Monday?

ACTION have updated there page to say Google Transit won't update until Friday 1 June.

Bus 400

Selected destinations displays have been altered for Network 2012.
*On change is that loop services now display each suburb one at a time (e.g. 55 GUNGAHLIN/55 FORDE/55 BONNER).
*Woden is now clearer on the destination screens.
*The 951 only shows City/Belconnen via Casey. The 958 shows "Gungahlin/Belconnen via Crace.
*The words "Red Paid" have now gone from the 200 destination display.
*More work has gone into destinations on the "Green Fleet" with (so far) the Renault's only showing the terminating destination on the front.
*Route 28 now shows "Woden via Duffy" on the front. Route 27 shows "Woden via Fisher"
*Route 26 now shows "Chapman via Cooleman Court". Thus loosing the destination "Weston Creek Terminus" also forgetting the fact the 26 terminates in Duffy.

That is the only changes I've noted so far, but I have 2 days to get the scoop.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 26, 2012, 12:04:14 AM
*Route 26 now shows "Chapman via Cooleman Court". Thus loosing the destination "Weston Creek Terminus" also forgetting the fact the 26 terminates in Duffy.
Very happy to see the "Weston Creek Terminus" destination description go.

(A) 50 lines on the blackboard please, Bus400: "Only one O in lose/losing/loser"

(B) Route 26 does not terminate in Duffy. The terminus is South of Hindmarsh Dr and West of Darwinia Tce, which puts it in Chapman. (Feel free to check a map if you don't believe me.)

smitho

To be consistent, they should replace Cooleman Court and revert to "Weston Centre", just as they've got rid of other commercial nomenclature such as "Lanyon Marketplace" and "Gungahlin Marketplace". Cooleman Court is not a location name.

"DFO" has now become "DFO Fyshwick" in the Hanover system, a reasonable compromise.

smitho

"New" bus stops on Routes 3 & 7:-

Marcus Clarke St south: Both routes northbound: Bus stop opposite the School of Music is now marked with a yellow blade sign; this is a long established 'bus stop' judging by the road markings.

It may have been used by the old Canberra Hospital* route in the dim dark days past.  (Yours truly has been known to use it for layover purposes because of its proximity to a coffee lounge & toilets).

Liversidge St northbound: Around the back of the AFSA...marked with a blade; no road markings or landing pad.

Liversidge St southbound: Near Theatre 3 & School of Art, close to Ellery/Liversidge intersection.

Redundant bus stop on Ellery has not been recommissioned (possibly dating back to Canberra Hospital route service),

* Canberra (Community) Hospital at Acton - where the National Museum is now located.

manhinli

ACTION and/or Google stuffed up handling the new feed in a way I didn't expect... There goes the smooth transition.

(I'm not sure if my expectation of public service organisations would be deemed entirely realistic)

Stops around my area with the tall orange bollards have been updated, probably done in the last day or so. Walked by and saw some curious or confused travellers looking at Weekend side of one at Kate Crace / Hibberson Southbound. Went around to my stop (#6170) and sure enough the peak-time, school-term only 200 to City is there. Hope it stays.

I've actually seen a bunch of different Red Rapid destination displays in the last week or so including:

• "Red Rapid / Gungahlin via City, Limited Stops (scrolling)" <--> "Red Rapid / Limited Stops" <--> "Gungahlin / via City"
    I have no idea why there was unnecessary duplication.

• "Gungahlin / via. Barton" <--> " / via. City"

• "Fyshwick DFO / via. City" <--> " / via. Russell" <--> " / via. Barton"
    The text for Fyshwick DFO is too narrow and hard to read.

Bus 400

It is ACTION's first time at having to update the Google Transit feed so they get a bit of slack.

Quote from: manhinli on May 26, 2012, 10:25:57 PM

• "Gungahlin / via. Barton" <--> " / via. City"
  • "Fyshwick DFO / via. City" <--> " / via. Russell" <--> " / via. Barton"
    The text for Fyshwick DFO is too narrow and hard to read.

These two will be staying, but the Fyshwick DFO font size is no different to any other font where scrolling is involved. 

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on May 26, 2012, 06:19:26 PM
Marcus Clarke St south: Both routes northbound: Bus stop opposite the School of Music is now marked with a yellow blade sign; this is a long established 'bus stop' judging by the road markings.

It may have been used by the old Canberra Hospital route in the dim dark days past.
Did some quick research. The "old" Canberra Hospital route 27 (later 300) travelled via London Circuit, Edinburgh Ave, Lawson Cres, Lennox Crossing. (It was one of a few routes which took 10 minutes from Interchange to Terminus, resulting in a full round trip taking 25 minutes.)

The Marcus Clarke St stop was previously (last?) used by Peak service 435 which went from Belconnen to Barton via City West (but not to City Interchange).

lukeo25

Since ACTION buses Network 12 is coming into force tomorrow I deciced I would try my luck in getting the old timetable posters/maps from Woden Interchange, I then asked the people who where replacing them could I get them they said this "they are being taken away to be safely recycled". Later on whilist waiting for the bus to the city I saw one of the people throw them in bin, after doing my business in Belconnen I decided to check the bins around the interchange to see if they did "dispose" of them, did they them all in the bin yes!!! I now have all the timetables/maps from Woden (except the big maps and timetables from the main large displays).

manhinli

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 27, 2012, 12:38:09 AM
These two will be staying, but the Fyshwick DFO font size is no different to any other font where scrolling is involved.
I should have put in that the narrow font was used on the flip-dot displays. The LED displays are fine.

Took the 8.08am special 200 run to City this morning. A reasonable number of passengers did hop on considering the fact that the 10 minute intervals now pick people up a lot more frequently. About 6 from the start and maximum along the trip was about 25 to 30. Considering that today was particularly light (traffic and passenger wise) we arrived 5 minutes earlier than scheduled.

3 people at the end didn't realise that it terminated at City - the driver did tell *some* people, but not all, and the flip-dot desto list (forgot which bus #) wasn't updated so still said "Fyshwick DFO". They just need one that says "City 200" like that of the limited 300 runs. If it's a trial, then a slip of paper would suffice.

Bonnerbus

So I have some questions you guys might be able to answer for me.

I use the 200 in the morning. The 8am 200 was packed this morning still despite the 10 minute departure gap. I assume that over time the stats might make it clear that a large bus is required on this route. However, why would the special 200s start at Mitchell? Not a large number of people get on there so it seems a bit pointless to me. The stops directly after GMP would make much greater use of a bus that hasnt filled up already. I am guessing someone is going to use those getting on at Northbourne as an answer, however Northbourne has more than enough busses to make up for those getting on along there.

Next question - I get extremely frustrated by the people who get on the 200 without a MyWay card or dont know how to use them. Wouldnt the 200 be a good choice to have as a card only bus route (like many in Sydney) considering the number of other routes that go to the City from Gungahlin?

Lastly, why would we add more stops to the 200? Wouldnt it make sense to reduce the number or stops or introduce an actual express route from Gungahlin to the City?

Cheers!

Snorzac

1. The additional 200 services do not start in Mitchell they start in the City.
2. Totally agree with you, I suggest emailing ACTION with your idea.
3. I have no answer.

manhinli

Quote from: Bonnerbus on May 28, 2012, 04:44:35 PM
I use the 200 in the morning. The 8am 200 was packed this morning still despite the 10 minute departure gap. I assume that over time the stats might make it clear that a large bus is required on this route.
My belief? The whole selling of the Red Rapid as an express route has made some people think that they should only catch the 200 even though the 51, 52, 59 run to pretty much the same schedule (roughly less than 5 minutes later, at City). They could maybe have the upcoming new artics run on the peak services as well...?

I had an idea a couple weeks back but it requires a fair bit of integrated infrastructure and respect for proper timing points.
At major stations/interchanges you have a machine which you tap on to, select your destination and required arrival time and it displays which bus you should catch, depending on the load of the upcoming bus and frequency on a first-tap-first-served basis. If you follow through with the recommendation, you get a further x% off bus fares, psychologically motivating people for a better distribution of the load.

However, why would the special 200s start at Mitchell?
They don't. The special runs start at Flemington/Wizard (my bus stop :-P) - but it's not shown on the webpage for some reason.

Wouldnt the 200 be a good choice to have as a card only bus route (like many in Sydney) considering the number of other routes that go to the City from Gungahlin?
Prepay could work if it's during peak time only (casual off-peaks don't always have a card.)

Lastly, why would we add more stops to the 200? Wouldnt it make sense to reduce the number or stops or introduce an actual express route from Gungahlin to the City?
Some of them like Wells Station Road didn't have too many people, so I guess that wouldn't affect efficiency too much. Others like London Circuit I wonder about... Like really? Having more buses stop and clog London Circuit which is a 5 minute walk from City doesn't seem right.

And an express route from Gungahlin to City? If it runs through Northbourne you can pretty much forget about any trip time savings. It might be able to run down Phillip Ave, Majura, Limestone like the 757, but I don't think that'll be any faster.

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

As I said when that sign was pointed out to me...what is right with that sign?

Also

route56

Bugger me - 952 actually follows the 52 route! Has this been OK'd by the TWU ?

Buzz Killington

So this comment in the Canberra Times has me puzzled:

QuoteCraig Dann, 19, was also less than pleased with his bus routes being extended to Kippax.

The 318 and 319 routes will now run between Kippax, Belconnen, Civic, Woden, and Tuggeranong.

''It used to go to Belconnen from Civic, now it also includes Kippax,'' he said.

''I don't want to have to go to Kippax as well.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/bus-fuss-as-commuters-go-the-extra-mile-20120528-1zfke.html#ixzz1wFLMQ9Ft

The only logical conclusion I can take from that is that he catches the bus north to Belconnen and thinks the bus goes to Kippax before Belconnen? Not too sure why the CT would even run the comment.

Barry Drive

What I think he meant was "when I'm riding along with (driver's name), if he/she's doing a 318 or 319 I don't want to have to all the way to Kippax with him/her."

Bus 400

On a side note, who else noticed a problem with 311's bike rack?

I'll be curious to see how Google goes with displaying the 55/955 considering the Handbury Way end of Forde along with a chunk of Essie Coffey St is missing off the base map. Perhaps they will have to update that too.

Barry Drive

Quote from: 743 on May 30, 2012, 10:16:55 PM
I'll be curious to see how Google goes with displaying the 55/955 considering the Handbury Way end of Forde along with a chunk of Essie Coffey St is missing off the base map. Perhaps they will have to update that too.
It looks like this

manhinli

Had someone come up from ACTION on City Platform 8 not too long ago take a survey.

Asked about how I knew about Network 12, stuff like "how did you first hear about it?", "do you follow us on Twitter?" etc.

Surprised they didn't ask about network satisfaction.

Bus 400

Quote from: manhinli on May 31, 2012, 04:22:24 PM
Had someone come up from ACTION on City Platform 8 not too long ago take a survey.

Asked about how I knew about Network 12, stuff like "how did you first hear about it?", "do you follow us on Twitter?" etc.

The survey can also be taken at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XJVPJ6N

Maxious

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 27, 2012, 12:38:09 AM
It is ACTION's first time at having to update the Google Transit feed so they get a bit of slack.

Today's release looks like it will go a lot better (you can look back at old updates @ http://www.gtfs-data-exchange.com/agency/action/)

It was signposted in the Network 13 update that there would be another update in early July. This now includes the School holiday timetables (including adding the 81 tourist route) taking us right through to Christmas before another release will be required.

Some stops have also been added: #2681 "Wormald St before Faulding St", #5076 "Temperley St after Schow Pl", #6078 "Hoskins St before Cash St", #6079 "Hoskins St before Oodgeroo", #6310 "David Walsh after Zakharov Av" and #6312 "Zakharov after Justice Kelly St"

King of Buses

Does the 7 when travelling to City/Belconnen from the National Museum of Australia and the 4 travelling to City/Woden actually go into the City West Bus station or do they just stop at a stop down near Farrell Pl or University Ave?

The Love Guru

Barry Drive

No stop on Marcus Clarke St - 4 5 & 7 heading towards Woden / Belconnen stop at City West. But route 3 doesn't. Don't ask why.

4 & 5 commence from Marcus Clarke / Farrell Pl, if that helps.

King of Buses

Cheers. ;D
I was planning a trip from the National Museum to Woden where i'd change from the 7 to the 4 at City West.
Thanks again. KOB

King of Buses

Has anybody seen the desto for the 319 on the Scania L94UB's (for northbound I think)?
It goes 319 to Kippax via Tuggeranong, 319 to Kippax via Woden, 318 to Kippax via City and then 319 to Kippax via Belconnen
(may not be this order but is similar)
It is really confusing if somebody is reading the desto @ Lanyon for those few seconds.

Bus 400

If you get a chance King Of Buses, watch the 924 or the 981 desto on a MAN, they do a similar thing.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 20, 2012, 07:58:20 AM
If you get a chance King Of Buses, watch the 924 or the 981 desto on a MAN, they do a similar thing.
... or any Hanover LED.

There is also one route where the number is not displayed on the front at all. One of the Tuggeranong weekend loops (913?). Bus400 will know.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: King of Buses on October 19, 2012, 03:09:50 PM
Has anybody seen the desto for the 319 on the Scania L94UB's (for northbound I think)?

Yeah, I've seen that one. Also noticed a 23 or 24 the other day on an L94UB where the front number disappeared on one scroll (Isaacs I think). Same deal with the 65 on the L94UBs

Bus 400

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on October 20, 2012, 11:35:47 AM
One of the Tuggeranong weekend loops (913?). Bus400 will know.

913 is correct.

smitho

I stand to be corrected, but it appears that the consolidated "Blue rapid" intertown bus timetable may have been phased out.

Although updated and issued at the start of Network 12, it has become a scarce item over the course of this year.

Barry Drive

It may be scarce, but copies can still be found at the Belconnen newsagent (now that MyWay centre has closed).

smitho

I'll keep an eye out for them.

The Combined Gold Line timetable seems scarce too; haven't seen any around since they were first issued.

May be they're on the ACTION timetable on-line site - must check.