The "Days of Christmas" Network 2014

Started by smitho, October 16, 2014, 10:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

Still awaiting news about the Days of Christmas network, but indications are that it may start prior to Christmas, ie. on Monday 22 December.

Whether it extends beyond the end of the Christmas season (final day of Christmas is on Sunday 4 January 2015) is not clear at this stage. From memory, the Christmas network used to run until around mid-January in ACTION's early days.

Barry Drive

In 2008 (last time 25 Dec was a Thursday), the modified timetable operated only during the week of 29 Dec - 2 Jan.

Regular school holiday shifts applied on 22 - 24.

No (good) reason why that shouldn't be the case this year.

Barry Drive

Another question is whether Saturday 27th will be Saturday or Sunday timetable.

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on October 31, 2014, 02:50:59 PM
Another question is whether Saturday 27th will be Saturday or Sunday timetable.

On past form, it'd be a Sunday TT.

smitho

Can confirm that the Days of Christmas network will run for nearly 3 weeks - from Monday 22 December to Saturday 10 January 2015. Sunday 11 January will be a normal Sunday timetable.

Barry Drive

Are you implying that the weekend timetables will also be modified?

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on November 05, 2014, 10:36:25 AM
Are you implying that the weekend timetables will also be modified?

As in the past, Saturdays will run to Sunday timetables.

Maxious

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on November 06, 2014, 08:26:26 PM
As in the past, Saturdays will run to Sunday timetables.
But in the past (two years anyway), it only occurred on the weekend between Christmas and New Year. You are suggesting this will also happen on Saturday 3 January and 10 January.

Do you know this for certain, or are you just speculating?

smitho

That's based on what I was told by a supervisor, although have not seen it in writing.

Barry Drive

GTFS has been released - Sunday timetable will operate on 27 December and 3 January. Saturday timetable resumes on 10 January. (Although, for unknown reasons, a different "service-ID" is being used for Saturdays from 10 January onwards even though the number of trips remains unchanged.)

Nightrider for New Year's Eve are also included in the file.

smitho

That confirms my understanding, ACTbusspotter.

Barry Drive

Timetable booklets are now available, if you know where to look. Still nothing on the website.

Skitube

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on December 05, 2014, 03:27:17 PM
Timetable booklets are now available, if you know where to look.

let me guess, canberra connect?

King of Buses

Tuggers supervisors took deliveyour of a lot of boxes on Wednesday or Tuesday. ..was this them?

smitho

They might be under embargo as I've seen no sign of the holiday TTs around Tuggy Depot to date.

Bus 400

Last year, the MyWay agents couldn't hand the books out until the Monday that was 2 weeks before Christmas.

King of Buses

I got a few books today...interesting that stop number are in it as a trial...

Busfanatic101

loads of christmas books are available in the City bus stn myway centre (along with weekend timetables). Also 2 books on luggage rack on 381.

King of Buses

Interesting to note a 13 starting at Cohen st and not serving the other Belconnen bus
stations

Barry Drive

^ That's one way to reduce dead running!

(It's an error - full run times are showing in Transit Times.)

The Love Guru

This isn't the first time that has happened. Last time they had to run a shuttle bus between the bus stations as the shifts didn't have time to go to the other side of Belconnen. Was every route 12 if I recall correctly.

King of Buses

Quote from: The Love Guru on December 18, 2014, 04:13:52 PM
This isn't the first time that has happened. Last time they had to run a shuttle bus between the bus stations as the shifts didn't have time to go to the other side of Belconnen. Was every route 12 if I recall correctly.
Lol. ACTION and the at times, silly way they do things... ::)

Barry Drive

The 3 ×13s don't appear on the HTML timetables at all anyway.

King of Buses

King of Buses

Surprised by the no.of mk1 pr2s out yesterday but not many artics or stags. Shows the drivers preferences if they had a choice...was good to see 852 in particular. ..

The Love Guru

Drivers don't get a choice.

The lack of Artics and Stags is purely to conserve fuel whilst loadings are light. No point running a bus that uses a considerable amount more fuel when you have the smaller vehicles available.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: King of Buses on December 23, 2014, 08:39:43 AM
was good to see 852 in particular. ..

That's what I thought, until I saw who was driving it :P

I've seen plenty of artics out this week, only a few stays though.

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on December 23, 2014, 08:39:43 AM
Surprised by the no.of mk1 pr2s out yesterday but not many artics or stags.
Yes, there are a handful of STAGs out (from both depots) and I've seen artics on Xpressos and Blue Rapids. With the Renaults, there's no operational need to restrict any particular bus. But I do feel sorry for any driver who gets 993 or 994 imposed on him/her.

At least they seem to be limiting the use of Irisbuses. With 20 new low floors (which don't yet have a tendency to break down in hot weather) at their disposal, you can understand why. The Darts are also not being used, as far as I can tell.

King of Buses

Quote from: The Love Guru on December 23, 2014, 12:25:28 PM
Drivers don't get a choice.

I know that at T depot some drivers have just been allowed what the want...by saying "an artic is good for my shift cause I got a few 300s"...

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 23, 2014, 05:28:46 PM
That's what I thought, until I saw who was driving it

I know...that was the downside  8)

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on December 24, 2014, 11:37:27 AMBut I do feel sorry for any driver who gets 993 or 994 imposed on him/her.

At least they seem to be limiting the use of Irisbuses. With 20 new low floors (which don't yet have a tendency to break down in hot weather) at their disposal, you can understand why. The Darts are also not being used, as far as I can tell.

I know someone had 993 yesterday...and i thought i saw a dart too...

The Love Guru

There will be at least 1 random artic out until 2230 tonight!

King of Buses

What are the diversions for the fireworks and that tomorrow exexactly? Will buses be able to go across Commonwealth Ave bridge or through Parkes? I'm just wondering as what ACTION have said isn't very specific as per usual. ..

Barry Drive

Road closures only apply to Vernon Circle / Northbourne Av and London Circuit.

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/roads-transport/act_public_road_closures/listings/special_events

Buses will be diverted around these closures as necessary.

smitho

Tuggeranong Depot sends out several artics and Stags (2) on the 'days of Christmas' network to ensure that there are adequate green rigid buses for drivers not qualified to drive the longer buses.