Bruce & AMC shuttles

Started by Sylvan Loves Buses, June 07, 2019, 10:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on June 06, 2019, 11:02:05 PMThe 'secret' AMC Shuttle

This 'secret' route is puzzling me in its secrecy, cause I've seen the discussions for it not having timetables anywhere, yet there's a one at Narrabundah College right above the normal timetable, has some really odd times too. Wednesday to Sunday only, 7pm to Woden on Wednesday and Sundays only, yet only 5pm on the rest for the last service - what's with that?

Northside

It's not a secret at all. The AMC and Bruce shuttles are in the regular timetable page between Peak services and Regular services. https://www.transport.act.gov.au/getting-around/timetables/routes-by-number

The times are specifically chosen to align with AMC visiting hours. So I assume that's why it seems odd.

triumph

Quote from: Northside on June 10, 2019, 12:22:26 AMIt's not a secret at all. The AMC and Bruce shuttles are in the regular timetable page between Peak services and Regular services. https://www.transport.act.gov.au/getting-around/timetables/routes-by-number

The times are specifically chosen to align with AMC visiting hours. So I assume that's why it seems odd.
Previously said timetables were in TC web site and where. Note also the AMC route serves Canberra Hospital and Narrabundah.

The timetables only appears at departure platforms, they do not appear on the main route listings (where provided); they are not included in route maps at interchanges (where provided); they are not included at most intermediate stop time tables; the services do not show on 'Next Bus' panels at interchanges; they are not included in platform guidance at interchanges; they do not appear in any timetable booklet; and the AMC service is omitted from the current alert re Hospital Road temporary closure. (Haven't tested SMS Next Bus query system.) That's rather 'secretive' and why I chose to dub them 'secret', certainly the opposite of 'promoted'.

There are valid reasons and explanations no doubt, but that is no help to the public. Could all this be intentional, to enable removal of the service as apparently not used? One has to wonder.

Barry Drive

Yes, it is intentional.

As Bus400 reported elsewhere, TC put out to tender a software solution which will enable these locations to be serviced by "on demand" buses (presumably by Rosas). But until such software can be supplied, they will run the free shuttle services.

(On further examination, perhaps Bus400 didn't report it here. In any case, TC issued a Request for Proposal last year; the status is now 'Closed'. I'm not sure if it went any further.)

triumph

Quote from: triumph on June 10, 2019, 02:09:18 PMHaven't tested SMS Next Bus query system.
Have now and as expected, no result for Shuttle.
Test was for plt 2 Belconnen Interchange using stop number shown in bus book diagrams about 10min before shuttle due to depart.

Toyota Camry

It has been informed to myself reliably that route S between Cohen Street Bus Station & Calvary Hospital has been designated as an Irisbus exclusive route; it has been a number of weeks since a vehicle other than an Irisbus Agoraline has been allocated to it.

triumph

Quote from: Toyota Camry on June 22, 2019, 03:13:12 PMIt has been informed to myself reliably that route S between Cohen Street Bus Station & Calvary Hospital has been designated as an Irisbus exclusive route; it has been a number of weeks since a vehicle other than an Irisbus Agoraline has been allocated to it.
Between 3 and 4 weeks max. 419 was operating a late morning run on 31st May.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well I saw 608 leaving Woden on one yesterday evening, didn't look like anyone boarded it.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 23, 2019, 06:40:13 AMWell I saw 608 leaving Woden on one yesterday evening, didn't look like anyone boarded it.

Oops, I didn't notice there was a third page, this was in regards to the AMC shuttle. Of which I also saw 605 do a couple today with once again, no one on it.

triumph

Quote from: Toyota Camry on June 22, 2019, 03:13:12 PMIt has been informed to myself reliably that route S between Cohen Street Bus Station & Calvary Hospital has been designated as an Irisbus exclusive route; it has been a number of weeks since a vehicle other than an Irisbus Agoraline has been allocated to it.

Today 397 was operating the Bruce Shuttle early to mid afternoon. So maybe the designation is more aspiration than fact.

triumph

Quote from: triumph on June 26, 2019, 09:48:30 PMToday 397 was operating the Bruce Shuttle early to mid afternoon. So maybe the designation is more aspiration than fact.
And today it was 418 early afternoon.

Barry Drive

The two "shuttle" routes have now been assigned route numbers (901 for Bruce & 902 for AMC) which means they have been added to the GTFS feed.

In turn this means the timetables now are displayed in Google Maps (from today).

The route 902 operating at the time of posting is not tracking using NXTBUS.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh, so they have decided to use numbers within the 800 others they have to choose from, instead of something in the 5 or 6 thousands like the ridiculousness of the new school route numbers...

King of Buses

520 was operating a couple of route 902 services this afternoon for whatever reason.

triumph

397 was operating the Bruce shuttle this morning. If it was exclusively an Iris route, then why was 303 operating an R3 at the same time?

There have been quite a few sightings of anything but Irises reported so I think it can be safely concluded that it is not now (if it ever was) an exclusive Iris only route.

Quote from: Barry Drive on July 06, 2019, 11:25:41 AMThe two "shuttle" routes have now been assigned route numbers (901 for Bruce & 902 for AMC) which means they have been added to the GTFS feed.

397 this morning was still displaying desto 'Bruce Shuttle' with 'S' as the side and rear destos. The route number is not displayed yet. Can't say if it is on the interior next stop panel.