Game: Street Names

Started by Barry Drive, December 23, 2021, 05:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King of Buses

Brierly St, Weston.

narc855

Quote from: Northside on January 19, 2022, 09:40:01 PMLol, didn't look high enough

You may find it helpful to use "ctrl+F" to search for the street you're about to post on page 1 and 3 before you post.
I always do it because almost everytime I need to attempt several times before getting a new one.

narc855

We are almost done.

Morrison Cct, Duntroon. (stop 3068 and 3069 is a set)

Barry Drive

Around 10 to go.

Collie St, Fyshwick

Sylvan Loves Buses

I count 13 more after this one. Although given the stretching of the rules, it could be more. I'm not going to recheck for those.

Ross Smith Crescent, Scullin

❌ already used. Penalty: wait 2 valid answers.

Dunno how I missed that, I've been checking them off as I go.

narc855

Ngunawal Dr, O'Malley

Bus 400

Burke Crescent, Kingston 🤞🤞

❌ not allowed. Has two separate stops. No penalty.

vnguyen

I'm not sure if someone has posted it or it is a valid answer.

Tharwa Drive

❌ not valid. 3 sets of stops on Tharwa Drive (1 set in Calwell and the other 2 in Gordon/Conder).
Wait for 2 valid answers before next submission

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on January 22, 2022, 08:18:51 PMBurke Crescent, Kingston 🤞🤞

The reason being: the NSW Trainlink stop is regarded as a "bus stop".

In which case: West Row (as previously submitted by a disqualified Toyota Camry)

Northside

narc855

Spending some time checking it before posting might be helpful because we have few left,

Hodgson Cr, Pearce.

Barry Drive

vnguyen

Does Hospital Rd count since it has a set of bus stops, but it is not serviced by Transport Canberra?

triumph

Quote from: vnguyen on January 23, 2022, 06:25:08 PMDoes Hospital Rd count since it has a set of bus stops, but it is not serviced by Transport Canberra?
And that also raises the status of Corinna St.
Both have long term diversions and, in the case of Hospital Road, the latest TT formalises the diversion as the current route.

Barry Drive

Does this answer your question:
Quote from: Barry Drive on December 23, 2021, 05:37:26 PMMust be an active stop at the time of submission.

triumph

Yes. So a school bus stop in same street would not currently invalidate a stop in use.

Northside

Not sure if Brindabella cct counts?...

narc855

Quote from: Northside on January 23, 2022, 10:17:12 PMNot sure if Brindabella cct counts?...
I think it counts.

So my next submission: Longmore Cres, Wanniassa.

narc855

f, when I looked for the remaining streets on Anytrip, I found that there is actually one left only (which means I gonna lose this game).

Wait and see who can find the final one or I might be wrong.

And it should be a controversial one.

triumph

Quote from: Northside on January 23, 2022, 10:17:12 PMNot sure if Brindabella cct counts?...
Quote from: narc855 on January 23, 2022, 10:29:39 PMI think it counts.

I doubt it, there are according to Google 2 well separated stops, one for R3 and one for 834.

triumph

Quote from: narc855 on January 23, 2022, 10:46:45 PMf, when I looked for the remaining streets on Anytrip, I found that there is actually one left only (which means I gonna lose this game).

Wait and see who can find the final one or I might be wrong.

And it should be a controversial one.

Might be more than one, but perhaps even more controversial. A few of the previous answers and rulings raise some some rather iffy logic and possibilities.

narc855

Quote from: Barry Drive on January 22, 2022, 10:30:30 PMThe reason being: the NSW Trainlink stop is regarded as a "bus stop".

In which case: West Row (as previously submitted by a disqualified Toyota Camry)

Quote from: triumph on January 24, 2022, 12:46:52 AMI doubt it, there are according to Google 2 well separated stops, one for R3 and one for 834.

I think it's still a set since Parliament Dr and Morrison Cct are both answers.

And, combine these two rules, Terminal Ave can't be an answer. Stop 3353 is used by R3 while stop 260910 on the other side is used by 783/784.

triumph

Quote from: narc855 on January 24, 2022, 11:56:28 AMI think it's still a set since Parliament Dr and Morrison Cct are both answers.

And, combine these two rules, Terminal Ave can't be an answer. Stop 3353 is used by R3 while stop 260910 on the other side is used by 783/784.

Good point re Terminal Avenue BUT Parliament Dr and Morrison CCt are the same routes just out and back. I agree with Barry Drive on these two locations, BUT Brindabella Circuit is not a set being similar to your quoted Terminal Avenue.

Looks Barry has some adjudicating to do.

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on January 24, 2022, 12:22:11 PMLooks Barry has some adjudicating to do.
I should have adopted the "Pointless" rule: which is once you state an answer, it is considered to be an answer.

Since no one has submitted Brindabella Cct as an answer, I can't adjudicate. But -- as a hint -- I'd pay attention to what triumph says.

As for Terminal Avenue: I have doubts whether they actually use the stop "on the other side", but based on the GTFS stop location, I will have to concede that there are in fact two separate stops. (No penalty though.)

Northside

Ooh, I think I found a loophole!

Let me make this one more definitive
Battye St, Bruce

vnguyen

I'm trying my luck here and say Hazel St in Oaks Estate.

It is a part of Canberra but it is served by 838.

❌ it's correct, but it's already been played. No penalty.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Northside on January 24, 2022, 05:08:05 PMBattye St, Bruce
If no further valid entries within 7 days time, this will be declared the winner. Not that there's any prize.

No penalty for invalid answers from this point forward. Also: Northside may submit again in 3 days.

narc855

Well that's not the one I am preparing for.

I will try: Flemington Rd.

This is because of the diversion of route 18 which makes Flemington Rd own a temporary set of bus stops that are used by route 18. Given AIS Arena is accepted, there should be no doubt about this point.

However, whether or not it's correct depends on how to definite stops on R1.

Wait and see.

https://www.transport.act.gov.au/news/service-alerts-and-updates/service-updates/gungahlin-region/well-station-road-closed-from-24-january route 18 diversion offical page

✅ is valid, since they are active stops today and are the only BUS STOPS active along Flemington Road. Still need to wait 7 days for another entry before it can be deemed the winner. Or else narc855 can wait 3 days and make another submission.

Sylvan Loves Buses

According to Anytrip, Akuna Street is in use by Qcity.

❌ (Transborder Express, actually) it does say that, but the route doesn't travel this way anymore, so the stop isn't in use.

vnguyen

Well I'm gonna go with Hospital Rd as my submission.

According to Google Maps it is still being used as a stop for 831 and NSW TrainLink services.

❌ stops not in service, road closed to through traffic

triumph

Quote from: vnguyen on January 25, 2022, 07:59:59 AMWell I'm gonna go we Hospital Rd as my submission.

According to Google Maps it is still being used as a stop for 831 and NSW TrainLink services.

Seems doubtful, NSW Train Link for the coach services checked, quotes stops in Bateson Rd with the Eden service describing it in the heading as Temp. When I was last there before Christmas, Hospital Rd was open in one direction only from Bateson Rd.. So rather confusing.   

narc855

Quote from: vnguyen on January 25, 2022, 07:59:59 AMWell I'm gonna go we Hospital Rd as my submission.

831/842/coaches use the same route as R6 inside CBR Hospital now.

triumph

Hospital Rd at entry of Bateson has a sign "No buses beyond this point". Seen a few moments ago. So Hospital Rd stop is not currently in use.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I would've picked Hospital Road as my second guess if I knew it was in service, which it isn't. One side may seem like it is now, but it ain't.

Quote from: Bus 400 on January 22, 2022, 08:18:51 PMBurke Crescent, Kingston 🤞🤞

I would disagree with this being not allowed then. For exmaple, how does Paliament drive count as being a set when one stop is labled 'Southbound' and the other 'Northbound' and they're almost a kilometer apart from each other. Burke Crescent technically has 3 stops (one being used by various NSW buses/coaches) and are no more than 100m apart from each other. Same point with a couple others, these ajudications are inconsistent imo.

narc855

How far are the Calwell P&R stops apart? 

The point is not about distance, it's about routes.

Gungahlin Pl has 2 stops only but it's not allowed neither.

triumph

Victoria St, Hall
Note: Google maps is out of date. There are two delineated stops in Hall now.
There is a posted stop in Victoria St on East side and South of Hoskins St. The TT on the post gives City Departure time and advises to request for Yass bound services.
Gladstone St Interchange is posted and displayed information refers to school services only. This is confirmed in the Transborder Express on-line TT. That TT also refers to a Victoria St Interchange but the only vestige of it now is a section of Victoria St on West side South of Gladstone St which has restricted parking on school days.

narc855

Exactly another street I am thinking of.

When I went to Hall last December, there is no sign of bus stop at the "Hall Interchange" location, instead, there seems to be a bus stop at Loftus St & Victoria ST where no map shows.

We probably need a field trip to see what happens in Hall.

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on January 25, 2022, 08:46:55 PMVictoria St, Hall

According to Google Maps, there are two stops on Victoria St when heading southbound. (One at the school and the other "Hall Interchange"). But QCity/ Transborder information is not always reliable.

The timetable map seems to support the case that there's only one active stop.

So unless proven otherwise, I'll accept this as a valid answer.

The 7 day clock restarts. This submission will be declared the winner if there are no further answers (or objections) within 7 days.

Northside

Now that my time in purgatory is over, I'll submit Bimbimbie St, Bruce. Currently serviced by the Goulburn-Canberra route (784/783)

✅ correct. This is the provisional winner - subject to a 7 day waiting period.

🏆 no further valid answers and no objections - this is the winning answer.

vnguyen

Is it good for me to say Copping Crossing Road?

If so that is my submission.

❌ have reviewed: this is not a valid answer for this game

triumph

OK, last throw of the dice, which I had hoped not to have to make. Here is a submission of a virtual (seems very appropriate in these Covid constrained times) street/stop. Already I can hear laughter, but note that such a submission was made and accepted long ago.
So, there is a precedent.

By way of explanation, here goes:
Firstly, consider the Callam St. ruling.
Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 31, 2021, 07:16:36 PM✅ It could be argued either way, would need to check the official ACT Map to be certain, but I would regard platforms 5 6 & 7 to NOT be on Callam St, so yes it's valid.
This decision makes it clear that a stop not directly on the street is not part of that street.

Secondly, consider Northcott Drive
Quote from: narc855 on December 27, 2021, 11:10:23 AMAnother street with a single bus stop only,
Northcott Dr, Majura
In contrast to the Interchange adjacent to Callam St, this stop is an accepted submission, but also is not directly on Northcott Dr. So what is the difference?
In the case of Callam St there are 3 streets that the address of the Woden Interchange can be attributed to, being Bradley, Bowes, and Callam Streets. But which one? The ACT block and Section map I consulted does not allocate a street number on the Callam St frontage which leaves the attribution undetermined. On the other hand the block on which the only stop which could be considered associated with Northcott Dr is situated, can only front Northcott Drive, and thus be only attributed to Northcott Dr. and no other street. Therefore, it is clear that this accepted submission was of a virtual street/stop!

Now consider the Westfield Stop in Belconnen. This stop pair is not an interchange or terminal stop. It is simply a busy normal stop pair.
It is situated on private land being the Westfield Mall.
Streets relevantly fronting the Mall are Lathlain, Cohen, and Benjamin, so which one is the Mall attributed to? That answer is Benjamin Way, which is the Mall address. Therefore, the correct address of the Westfield Stop is Benjamin Way.
That is the same circumstance as for the virtual Northcott Dr accepted submission.

Accordingly, relying on precedent allowing virtual submissions and the preceding explanation, my submission is Benjamin Way.

❌ no, definitely not.

triumph

Quote from: triumph on February 01, 2022, 07:42:21 PMOK, last throw of the dice, which I had hoped not to have to make. Here is a submission of a virtual (seems very appropriate in these Covid constrained times) street/stop. Already I can hear laughter, but note that such a submission was made and accepted long ago.
So, there is a precedent.
Accordingly, relying on precedent allowing virtual submissions and the preceding explanation, my submission is Benjamin Way.

❌ no, definitely not.

Well, that was fun. A rejection was entirely expected. Arbitrarily emphatic too, which implies my logic was plausible.
There was, however, a big weakness in the logic. It all came down to the status of the stop adjacent to Northcott Dr. Just apply the Callam St clarification with the Johnson Dr retrospective disallowance method "On reflection Northcott Dr is ..........". With Northcott Dr retrospectively determined invalid, the logic falls over.
I would add there were other suspicious virtual submissions, but I didn't have the inclination or resources handy to pursue them.

Time, I think, to say Congratulations to Northside for the cunning final submission, the detail of which is nowhere I could find on the TrainLink website.

Sylvan Loves Buses

It's accessible on Anytrip.

narc855

Quote from: triumph on February 02, 2022, 05:10:44 PMWell, that was fun. A rejection was entirely expected. Arbitrarily emphatic too, which implies my logic was plausible.

No matter how you explain about roads, there are two sets of stops at Westfield Belconnen.

One being Westfield Belconnen Platform 2 (5502) and Westfield Belconnen Platform 1 Set Down Only (5503).
Another one being Westfield Belconnen Platform 1 (5501) and Westfield Belconnen Platform 2 Set Down Only (5504).

triumph

Quote from: narc855 on February 02, 2022, 09:02:30 PMNo matter how you explain about roads, there are two sets of stops at Westfield Belconnen.

One being Westfield Belconnen Platform 2 (5502) and Westfield Belconnen Platform 1 Set Down Only (5503).
Another one being Westfield Belconnen Platform 1 (5501) and Westfield Belconnen Platform 2 Set Down Only (5504).

I have been using that stop lots ever since it was created and have never noticed that distinction. Most seem to just stop as far along the platform as practical, though sometimes 4th or even 5th back in the queue. Lot of picking up done at the so called set down only stop. Never had occasion to even look at stop numbers. Also check out the map in Transport Canberra website, no 3rd and 4th stops shown at all. Just Platforms 1 and 2. Likewise Google maps (not to be fully relied on) does not even indicate the 4th stop. I think would have been reasonable to go by the official TC website map. Note there are only two platforms and it is not an interchange. As no service terminates at Westfield, why is there even any need for set down only. Only Monday I boarded a bus at Westfield and for good and practical reasons travelled just one stop. Next time I am there I for sure will be having a closer look. One lives and learns.

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 02, 2022, 05:21:19 PMIt's accessible on Anytrip.
And probably other websites too, but point is, if it is delineated on the official TrainLink website, then it is very obscure. Thus I think Northside was rather astute. Did you have this one ready yourself for a last minute challenge and Northside trumped you?

Northside

Once the QCity and TbX routes were in play, I just started looking around to see what other trips passed by. Found this route and kept it up my sleeve.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on February 02, 2022, 10:35:56 PMDid you have this one ready yourself for a last minute challenge and Northside trumped you?

No, I didn't see this one and thought Akuna Street was good enough...
It's annoyingly difficult to navigate around Canberra on the NSW version of Anytrip.

triumph

Quote from: narc855 on February 02, 2022, 09:02:30 PMNo matter how you explain about roads, there are two sets of stops at Westfield Belconnen.

Lived another day and learnt more.

The set down stops said to be at Westfield Belconnen are not delineated on site in any way at all. That includes the rather old looking map in the cabinet near the Mall Entrance. Nor do they show up in the current map in the TC website. The only references to them I could find were both being listed under 'Find Your Stop' with the search term Westfield, and one shown in Google Maps.
To my recollection the original operational intent for the Westfield Stop was for arriving buses to use the set down stops and then pull forward to the pick up stop so as to avoid congestion between alighting and boarding passengers and to prevent the present situation of having to hurry along the platform to board a bus at the back of a queue. It very quickly became apparent that this was unworkable due to bus congestion and delay. Thus making the so called set down stops unusable for the purpose provided. It appears that though remnants of the stop descriptions are yet to be edited from some areas (not a priority task, I would think), these stops are redundant and no longer used in the manner intended.
So the reality is that there is only two long platforms at Westfield Belconnen with a single active stop each, ie 1 set.
We could argue various points and split hairs till the cows come home, but it is just academic with now no impact on the game result (assuming this wasn't the only reason for submission rejection), so interesting and entertaining as it may be,  I think it is time to conclude this discussion.

narc855

Just checked Google Map on my phone, the road for Westfield Belconnen Interchange is "Cohen Street".

Barry Drive

Quote from: narc855 on February 03, 2022, 08:00:49 PMJust checked Google Map on my phone, the road for Westfield Belconnen Interchange is "Cohen Street".
Except that's not correct either. But it's a better "virtual" name than Benjamin Way.

In any case, game is now over: well done to Northside.