Belconnen Way bus lane to reduce travel times

Started by Buzz Killington, June 18, 2009, 05:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Media Release

Belconnen Way bus lane to reduce travel times

Released 18/06/2009

A new bus lane on Belconnen Way, on the city bound approach to the intersection with Barry Drive, would reduce travel times for bus patrons travelling from Belconnen to the City, Chief Minister and Minister for Transport, Jon Stanhope, said today.

The bus lane, constructed at a cost of $500,000, has been coloured a distinctive red and signs have been installed to advise motorists of the new traffic arrangements.

"The Belconnen to City bus route is one of the busiest in the ACT with over 300 buses using it during peak periods," Mr Stanhope said. "The new bus lane will reduce travel times to the city, particularly during peak travel times, by giving buses a priority run through this busy section to Barry Drive.

"The bus lane is part of the ACT Government's commitment to fund bus priority improvements on heavily trafficked bus routes," Mr Stanhope said.

Further works, to commence next year will see the bus lane extended to link with the existing bus lane approaching the intersection of Barry Drive and Clunies Ross Street.

These works will involve road and bridge widening and are expected to cost $2.5 million.

"The ACT Government will continue to invest in enhancing the ACT's bus services to encourage more Canberrans to make the switch and leave the car at home," Mr Stanhope said.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 18, 2009, 05:48:53 PM
The bus lane, constructed at a cost of $500,000
What? $500,000? All they did was paint it red, and put signs up, they didn't even give it a B light.
Pathetic, seriously, Bus lane, that's nothing to boast about. Get back to me when there's a full bus lane frm City to Belconnen with bus priority at every traffic light.

Buzz Killington

It does mention that the new lane will be extended to meet up with the existing lane down near Clunies Ross, so there will be one bus lane + 2 regular lanes from Fairfax Street down to Clunies Ross.

Not much, but a start.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 18, 2009, 06:37:54 PM
It does mention that the new lane will be extended to meet up with the existing lane down near Clunies Ross, so there will be one bus lane + 2 regular lanes from Fairfax Street down to Clunies Ross.

Not much, but a start.
Interesting, as they have marked it out with pegs and tape on trees, therefore expecting construction, but it's been like that for at least 4 months.

Barry Drive

By how much will that bus lane reduce travel times Belconnen to City?

Good to hear that there will be a bus lane built along Barry Dr, although it should have been built as part of the GDE.

Bus 400

I've been told that the lane is slippery in the wet. The story is that one bus attempted to stop at the lights but slipped right through the intersection.

Irisbus Rider

It was probably a Dart ha ha.

But seriously, the way some drivers approach that intersection; fly down on the limiter at 85km/h, then expect to stop in a hurry when the light changes yellow.

Although, to be fair, I know for a fact that painted sections of the road do tend to be rather slippery.

Bus 400

I partly tested this today. The first part of the lane is normal, but the few meters before the intersection is slippery. I only put my 2 left wheels in the lane to test the theory. I did even apply alot of pressure on the brakes & I did feel less grip on the last bit.

Buzz Killington

thankyou for that very scientific conclusion.

Maybe you should ask the drivers how they found it rather than driving in a bus lane, you know what happened last time you tried that - and yes I know you said you only put your two left wheels in the lane - driving half in one lane, half in another is not a good idea either.

Busnerd

I must advise once again that we do not KENdone actions such as illegally driving into bus interchanges or bus only lanes.

There are plenty of other methods to test this, simply ask a driver, or ride on a bus over it. May I add that these bus lanes have been in use in basically every major city for years and years with no problems like this. I have also asked a few drivers and they told me they are a little bit slippery but nothing major.

I have driven in 12 hour bus lanes, which are red but at the time I drove on it (about 1am) it was just a normal traffic lane, i found the bus lane smoother and of better quality and less potholes, I did not notice it being slippery at all, but then I am a better driver than some.

Bus 400

I was in 384 that braked a bit heavy on the lane tonight. While the braking felt all right, the driver was one of thse that floor it off the lights & the bus did skid a bit then (which they don't always do).

Irisbus Rider

Yes, we have established that ther lane is more slippery than a standard tarmac surface, that is to be expected, as it is a painted surface.