TP3002 - Iveco artic

Started by Barry Drive, August 19, 2010, 06:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

I had the pleasure of riding this bus today.

(Barrack St, Perth: 18 August 2010, 8:30AM)

--

(Cannington Station: 19 August 2010, 7:13AM)

Buzz Killington

blackdragon

It's the bus equivalent to a camel

Sir Pompously

Damn that bus is fine! Love that Renault/Irisbus Rear on it, doesn't really suit the body but they have done a great job blending it all together.

p_stampy

Yeh, it does kind of look like the back was slapped on.

It'd be cool is the desto was newer on the back? it looks dart-esq.

Barry Drive

Quote from: p_stampy on August 20, 2010, 06:52:24 AM
It'd be cool is the desto was newer on the back? it looks dart-esq.
Good call. Most of Perth's buses use the Dart style Mobitec Flip-dot detso with the seven-segment route numbers (front, side and rear). The Iveco has a Mobitec LED front with the seven-segment numbers at the rear and side. LED destos are rare in Perth ATM.

p_stampy

Yeh, I thought it was a bit weird - just makes it look more like the back was slapped on.

Are the mobitec ones just cheaper or something?

Barry Drive

Oops. I meant the front has a Mobitec LED (like 311). Dunno which is cheaper - ACTION prefers Hanover if that's any indication. The Mobitec controller is easier to use IMO but otherwise there's little difference between them.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: p_stampy on August 20, 2010, 01:43:01 PM
Yeh, I thought it was a bit weird - just makes it look more like the back was slapped on.

Are the mobitec ones just cheaper or something?
Probably because the back is slapped on. It is the standard Renault/Irisbus design for the rear, as it is the only bus of its kind in Australia (And it is a Demo) Custom Coaches decided to just mould it into their current design, instead of making a whole new rear end for access to the engine (It is mounted differently).

lukeo25

That bus is a beast, i can't but wonder what it would look in action colours and on the commonwealth ave bridge

Irisbus Rider

Great photos of a great bus :)

What was the performance like? Most comments on ATDB seem to indicate it is somewhat slow, but that may be because they're used to quick vehicles (excluding the Renaults.....*ducks for cover* lol).

That rear is so distinctively European, I like it! If only, we got as many European headers and rears as we did in the 80s/90s (O305s/O405s/MANs, etc).

smitho

The classy Trans Perth bus livery flatters any bus including these artics; so nice with little or no advertising as well.

Public transport vehicles are a source of city pride in Perth and project a great, go-ahead image of the city.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on August 20, 2010, 06:55:55 PM
What was the performance like? Most comments on ATDB seem to indicate it is somewhat slow, but that may be because they're used to quick vehicles (excluding the Renaults.....*ducks for cover* lol).
The route that I rode it on (34) is basically a suburban service which travels from Cannington Station (South-west) to the City via Curtin University, Como and South Perth. Parts of the route goes through tight suburban streets with chicanes and roundabouts which the bus/driver handled effortlessly. It only got onto the freeway at the very end of the route - and this was just to cross the Narrows Bridge before heading to the Esplanade Busport.

So basically it didn't have much opportunity to do any fast running when I was riding on it.