Hino Ponchos

Started by triumph, February 29, 2020, 12:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumph

There are only two Hino Honchos Nos 100 and 101 for the new route 903 to Strathnairn. Looking at the TT for services starting this Monday, there are some run overlaps which means both Honchos are needed to run the service. This implies that, regular buses from the fleet will appear from time to time when either or both of the Honchos are unavailable for service. 

Busnerd

Hino Poncho not Hino Honcho.

triumph

Quote from: Busnerd on February 29, 2020, 01:21:47 PMHino Poncho not Hino Honcho.
Aaaaargh! What was I thinking? Knew it was Poncho. Thanks for correction.

triumph

Experienced both Ponchos (100 and 101) today. In a nutshell, my impression was of a modernised 'Dart'.
Noted:
Driver remarked no 'short stop' switch fitted and predicts handbrake left partially on issues.
Emergency full height door on right hand side. The graphics on the side of the bus have positioned the wheelchair symbol on this door. I don't think they mean it is the disabled access.
Being early runs on first day, both drivers were having difficulty judging how close the narrower vehicle was to the kerb with big gaps resulting. This will quickly resolve with practice.
Given the service to Strathnairn is free, it was surprising to see MyWay readers fitted. This implies that there is potential for fleet increases with use elsewhere. The present two buses would be fully occupied during the weekday, but there is potential to use them both in evenings and one at weekends on other services.
Ride quality was 'firm' - since specs say there are airbags, I expected a softer ride.
Specs say drum brakes, on a route service vehicle with frequent braking I was surprised disc brakes are not used. Did I read the wrong spec?
Drivers are TC employees, and presumably whilst underwritten, the buses are owned by TC.
See post on route service for other remarks.
I look forward to reading of others impressions.

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on March 02, 2020, 11:24:19 PMDrivers are TC employees, and presumably whilst underwritten, the buses are owned by TC.

This report from WIN News, says the developer (Suburban Land Agency/Riverview Projects) paid $500,000 for the two Ponchos and are covering running costs, other than drivers. (Sorry, can't embed Facebook videos.)

This media release also mentions the buses were "purchased", but doesn't state by whom.

triumph

Quote from: triumph on March 02, 2020, 11:24:19 PM.....
Driver remarked no 'short stop' switch fitted and predicts handbrake left partially on issues.
'''''
The relevance of this is that there is an interlock between handbrake and door, thus the handbrake must be applied in order to operate the door. Must be a bit of a nuisance to apply and then release the handbrake at every stop needed for passengers to get on/off. 

triumph

And an even bigger nuisance when it is not working properly!
101 this morning refused to allow gear engagement/handbrake off at a stop. Several attempts opening and shutting door, then retried with engine shut down on each opening. Eventually this worked, and thereafter at every stop engine had to be shut down. (I suspect the problem source was the door failing to completely close tightly due to some obstruction.)

Snorzac

The engine stopping at every stop would be because the driver hadn't deactivated the auto shutdown which automatically comes back on after powering on the engine

triumph

Quote from: Snorzac on December 16, 2021, 05:22:34 PMThe engine stopping at every stop would be because the driver hadn't deactivated the auto shutdown which automatically comes back on after powering on the engine
Thank you for that info of yet another 'driver assist (?)' item. So you are saying that the de-activation didn't occur after the first deliberate shut down whilst trying various ways to persuade the door interlock to work properly? Or were the continuing shut downs necessary to keep the faulty interlock working? No way of knowing for sure. I am trying to recall if the engine was shutting down at previous stops but can only recall two - on boarding at Kippax and at Strathnairn waiting for time. Don't recall at other intermediate stops before the door problem. I reckon it is 50/50 either way.

Snorzac

If you shut the bus down to reset a fault you need to manually turn the function off, it won't do it at every stop because it works to maintain some sort of battery level throughout