The Next Shift Spill

Started by Bus 400, March 30, 2009, 08:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

The new shifts were sent back to ACTION Management on Friday. They were meant to start 25th May 2009, but may start later now. Maybe one of the drivers may like to elaborate on this. I heard something about it being a month later. But didn't quite hear. But apparently there may not be any time changes with the new Belconnen changes until this new shift & this may mean late buses.

I picked up this goss on my bus home with a driver & another ACTION staff member & ex Ticket Inspectors.

Also 123 was missing its right rear panel & 898 pulled into Drakeford Drive traffic rather then using the busway at Taverner Street lights.

Snorzac

898 hey? I will find out right away.

Bus 400

Snorzac

No, luck, the usual driver of 898 has said that it wasn't him, he hasn't driven it for 3 days as the workshops have stuffed it up.

belcodriver

The shift pick should be starting on April 28.

Bus 400

Quote from: belcodriver on March 31, 2009, 09:27:06 AM
The shift pick should be starting on April 28.

Could it be that the union rep or someone along those lines checks them first?

I think it was 898, I had a quick look at it was 8*8 & looked like a 9. My main problem was heavy braking as the bus came to a quick stop in my slip lane.

Snorzac

There is going to be a new union rep. When did you see 898?

Bus 400

The bus in question was at the bus stop on Drakeford Drive, Wanniassa just before Taverner Street/Mortimer Lewis Drive.

Snorzac

Bus 400

About 18:00 30 March 2009

Snorzac

Okay not the driver that normally has it, he finishes about 5pm.

Bus 400

Like I told another driver. It is going to be so annoying next term & possibly May. As IO just find the regular shift they have & then it all gets changed on me.

But one question if you change your shift every week, do you just get the leftover shifts?

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on April 03, 2009, 10:11:03 PM
Like I told another driver. It is going to be so annoying next term & possibly May. As IO just find the regular shift they have & then it all gets changed on me.

But one question if you change your shift every week, do you just get the leftover shifts?

Drivers get sick, go on holidays, take long service leave, perform higher duties...

Snorzac

So what is happening in the holidays? Drivers haven't picked holiday shifts yet so what is happening?

The Love Guru

Holiday shifts were picked weeks ago.

Bus 400

I have confirmation that new shifts will come into effect for Term 4 2009. There WILL be changes that will be in the drivers favour.

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

Not quite sure, but I remember that the Union had previously been asking for 10 minute breaks every 2 hours.

I can't say too much, but someone who has a say has said that, I heard him say it directly. More information will be released to the public through Media Releases in due course.

The Love Guru

We shall wait and see. Have to get enough buses to operate the new services first.

Irisbus Rider

Definately; more layover would be required for the new shifts.

But, I do have a ground-shattering idea for the Belconnen stops, as buses come in to the first stop, they should change their desto and continue on a route through the stops, e.g.
A bus comes in on a 318 into Cameron Ave Bus Station, the bus pulls up to Platform 5 and changes the desto to '44 Kippax'. Then they proceed to drop off and pick up for the 44 as required. As the bus departs Cohen St, it continues on a 44 to Kippax, and then has a half hour layover at Kippax.

The same thing can happen for buses coming in to Cohen St and departing Cameron Av. This would not only maximise utilisation of buses, but reduce the amount of time the bus is not being used.

While it may not be popular with drivers, the layover amount would be compensated for elsewhere.
Just an idea.....

Bus 400

Would it work if ACTION copied Transperth is scrapping the 312-318 & having a 300 series & having maybe a Belconnen service that terminates at Belconnen run the desto scroll of:

"Belconnen Intertown" "Woden City" "Extending via Route 44". It could just depend on the shift, but it could even work the other way for Tuggeranong services that terminate having "Tuggeranong Intertown" "City Woden" "Extending via Route 62"

Irisbus Rider

That's not what I mean, replace the 318 with the 7.

This is for operational purposes, not to assist the passneger.

Bus 400

My sources do say that the 312-319 may be scrapped in favour of the a standard 300. So that could work, although I've been getting some mixed reports this week, so I'm not sure.

Barry Drive

I cannot confirm or deny anything your 'sources' say, although I hope that your source is wrong. There is nothing to gain by scrapping 312, 313, 314, 315, 318 and 319 and replacing them with standard feeder routes + an intertown. What makes them attractive is that passengers on those services don't have to change buses and have some certainty that their bus will continue to City or Woden or Belconnen.

What would be better is if more feeder routes connected to the intertown (even if only to/from City) during peak and also in the evenings.