Want to be a bus driver and be part of the ACTION?

Started by Jack Bauer, April 01, 2008, 06:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Ed

Apparently, the pay is very good.

Jack Bauer

Quote from: acvbn on May 10, 2008, 04:18:36 PM
Apparently, the pay is very good.

If your happy to work mostly nights, yeah, I guess it is.

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, pay is especially good, plus there's always overtime if your shift allows for that sort of thing.....

Conditions are even better, honestly, ACTION is the way to go, especially for rookie drivers, Canberra's an easy place to drive.

Bus 400

I found out an interesting fact today.

In the last 20-25 years, ACTION has had around 20,000 drivers pass through its doors.

If this information I have been told is wrong, & someone can prove differently, feel free to correct me.

smitho

Quote from: TP 3000 on July 09, 2009, 10:34:32 PM
I found out an interesting fact today.

In the last 20-25 years, ACTION has had around 20,000 drivers pass through its doors.

If this information I have been told is wrong, & someone can prove differently, feel free to correct me.
That's an average of 800 to 1000 per year - I don't think that'd be right....Even if the figures you quote referred to ACTION's total workforce, it would still be on the high side.

From what I can establish, in 2009, ACTION employs around 550 permanent drivers and engages another 70 or so casual drivers.

Bus 400

I'll try & recheck the driver ID numbers. I was trying to confirm this by going by the driver number of a driver that started back at Kingston/Woden Depot. I think it could be closer to the 10,000 mark.

But I have also been told that of the 100 drivers that started in 1999, only 28 are left. But you do get those that start training which means they get a ID number) & then after a few days/weeks they find it too hard & leave. In the last 2-3 months about 5 or so drivers have done this.

belcodriver

I imagine the same series of 6-digit employee numbers is used by all ACT govt employees.

Bus 400

I have found out that every ACT Public Servant is given the digits & if 2 drivers start at the same time, there is a number gap of 7/8 between their driver numbers. So if only 2 drivers started at ACTION today driver one might have ID number 136783 & driver 2 might have ID 136790

Bus 400

I did some checking of this, the oldest driver number I could find on one machine is 111*** & the newest one was 140***. Now some drivers I know with 111*** id numbers did start back at Kingston Depot & moved to Woden & Tuggeranong depots. But then all this weird numbering makes it a bit confusing. Another interesting thing is that mechanics have id number 800***.

*** added to protect drivers identity.

smitho

You can't judge a driver's seniority by their ID number; although in general, the lower the number, the higher the seniority, some more senior drivers have a higher ID number than more junior drivers.

So it is not surprising that ACTION uses the 'seniority DATE', not ID number, to determine seniority.

Ed

Sir Pompously

Quote from: TP 3000 on August 03, 2009, 10:03:01 PM
I'll go along tomorrow night as an undercover reporter.
Yes, because you would be going undercover to a public event, that is advertised as an information night to the public to ask questions about becoming a bus driver.

Bus 400

They all said "Working at ACTION is the best kept secret" With ACTION bus drivers having the best pay, conditions, buses, infrastructure & office.