MyWay - general/operational discussion

Started by smitho, May 06, 2010, 08:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

Had to leave 122 on the Tuggy bricks today to get MyWay ticketing equipment installed.

smitho

337 'Wilhelmina' is now fitted up with MyWay kit, including a black box located beneath the Wayfarer machine; first Scania I've seen with MyWay equipment.

Irisbus Rider

The two Scanias I got today also had ticket machine fittings (339 and 350).

Thanks for the info 'smitho', but just as a general reminder;
Quote from: MyWayThere are many more buses with the MyWay (TM) fittings than are listed. As every bus will eventually get fitted, IMO there's little point in listing them on the wiki or even in this topic. Only notable changes (such as the first artic or buses which have the system fully installed) should be mentioned from hereon (again, IMO).

Bus 400

I noticed a weird antenna looking thing sticking out of Bus 726 on the drivers side today & I wondered if this would be the GPS thingy for the new ticketing system? It looks similar to the internal antenna in the top right of the front window in Bus 994. I also saw another 700 series artic today, & I didn't notice this antenna thing.

p_stampy

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 11, 2010, 07:54:43 PM
I noticed a weird antenna looking thing sticking out of Bus 726 on the drivers side today & I wondered if this would be the GPS thingy for the new ticketing system?

I would have thought antenna's would be more stealthy these days - surely they're not testing to see if it works better in or out of the bus?

Bus 400

Busnerd

If you are referring to the antenn/aerials behind the drivers cab and before the first saloon window, those have been there for like 15 years

Bus 400

But the base looks so shiny (compared to the rest of the bus).

But after having a squize at the ACT Bus Gallery will admit defeat.

p_stampy

smitho

Some Tuggy driver training for MyWay starts next week...

Barry Drive

Which could explain the 'missing' Renault from Woden - if they intend to do on-bus training at Tuggy.

Bus 400

It looked like some were being trained in Bus 756 at Belconnen Depot on Sunday.

smitho

Quote from: MyWay on August 19, 2010, 12:11:09 AM
Which could explain the 'missing' Renault from Woden - if they intend to do on-bus training at Tuggy.
No, they're just doing it in a training room at Tuggy - works quite OK; groups of 5 drivers per class.

CNG

I heard that 975 was going to be a myway trail bus, however I am not sure if that is the case still.

Bus 400

Bus 893 is one of the buses with both ticket systems. The old driver module is located on the flat bit at the front of the bus & all it does is read the cards. The My Way system is on standby. But is very similar to TransPerth.

Snorzac

894, 899 and 300 are all fitted out for the trial

smitho

Quote from: Metrobus on August 27, 2010, 10:26:07 PM
894, 899 and 300 are all fitted out for the trial

Noticed a sign to drivers on the exterior of 300 today - saying that the bus is not to be taken into service without the approval of starters office...I guess because of it being one of the trial buses.

smitho

Quote from: Metrobus on August 28, 2010, 10:18:17 PM
391 is on the trial
Yeah - observed the driver of 391 last night in Civic interchange...he was taking passengers through how to use the system and issuing MyWay cash tickets..

CNG

475 has the system rob showed it off to me this morning. I will have to take a closer look at it in the next couple of days

Bus 400

Where did you see Bus 475? As I suspect it is only a few pieces of metal out at Adelaide.

smitho

Had my first passenger with a MyWay transfer ticket this am (on Redex)...

Snorzac

As seen today in 391 the weekend loops tend to confuse the shit out of the GPS, especially in the Belconnen town centre as it was jumping to the inbound run on the outbound. Certainly a problem they are going to need to sort out.

Bus 400

For those drivers who have had the training, how do drivers end each run on the machine? I know in Perth, they have to place their card on the reader & enter a pin to sign off on the run & then enter a pin again to sign on.

Snorzac

There is a button with a logo on it (assuming it is Wayfarer's) you press select new trip and then select the run from the list. If the driver has to cover a run (from another shift) they will need to sign out and sign back on with the shift number of the other run.

smitho

Quote from: Metrobus on September 04, 2010, 11:06:01 PM
There is a button with a logo on it (assuming it is Wayfarer's) you press select new trip and then select the run from the list. If the driver has to cover a run (from another shift) they will need to sign out and sign back on with the shift number of the other run.

Yes, that's more or less my understanding; unlike now, the "Insert Trip" function in the new system definitely requires the relevant shift number...

belcodriver

Quote from: smitho on September 05, 2010, 08:44:12 PM
Yes, that's more or less my understanding; unlike now, the "Insert Trip" function in the new system definitely requires the relevant shift number...

It requires the shift number but that will give you a list of all the runs on that shift.

smitho

Training of Tuggeranong drivers in MyWay system is nearly completed.

Bus 400

I noticed a big sign on Bus 126 about it being part of the My Way trial & that it can only be taken out only if a driver is directed to. So what runs is the trial being used on, or is it just that each driver has to have a go on a My Way bus?

Also I wonder why some of the darts still have no ticket system? Is ACTION trialling another ticket system where people jump on for free or something? If it is all darts, then  you have 25 perfectly good buses going on used on a trial. Then you have the MAN's & Scania's entering service during the trial, but they still have the new ticket system set up. Why can't these buses have the My Way set up from the start & if need be, link the old system around it.

Snorzac

Barry Drive

They will be starting to install the new machines in all buses from next week (20 September). Belconnen depot will be done first. So it won't be long before the Darts have at least one ticket machine.

smitho

Work on fitting MyWay kit to Tuggeranong buses starts tomorrow with the first of the equipped buses going out into service on Monday. Drivers' cards issued earlier this week.

Bus 400

(With driver's permission) I decided to test my TransPerth Smartrider on the ACTION MyWay reader today. The MyWay reader does pick up the card but comes up with a message about the MyWay card having an error & to reapply MyWay.

Busnerd

smitho

Tuggeranong PR3s were being called in this morning to have the full MyWay kit fitted, together with any outstanding standard buses beyond number 790 still without the full kit (seems that most had been equipped by last Friday).

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on November 02, 2010, 01:37:59 PM
any outstanding standard buses beyond number 790

Well, that would answer the question of how far the current set of withdrawals are going to go.

Bus 400

I can't wait to see one of these units of a CNG Scania. Recently I was on 312 (which has a rough idle) & the driver module sounded like the back half of a CNG Scania. So having a bit of an idea of how rattly quite a few of the CNG Scania's have been these units will rock & rattle.

The problem was fixed my placing a bunch of tickets under where the lid closes.

smitho

Had 338 the other day - it has had the full kit for a fair while - rattling wasn't a problem....(it just didn't work - locked for some reason!)

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on November 02, 2010, 10:04:26 PM
Well, that would answer the question of how far the current set of withdrawals are going to go.
It answers the question of which buses are expected to be withdrawn prior to MyWay going live.

Bus 400

I am starting to notice that buses with the MyWay kit are having validators removed/turned off.

With Bus 332 even missing the old driver module.

All this appears to be catching out passengers who think the validators aren't working, so they pretend to have a card & walk straight past. However when the driver calls them back, they have their fare in their hand ready.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 11, 2010, 01:27:36 PM
I am starting to notice that buses with the MyWay kit are having validators removed/turned off.
There are also buses without the new machines which don't have working validators. My guess is that ACTION is no longer fixing the old equipment. [SPECULATION ONLY]

smitho

My cash fare punters on 359 would've been scratching their heads yesterday if they looked at the back of their tickets.

Instead of the usual ACTION messages, there was a bright yellow advertisement courtesy of TransPerth, reminding passengers "to use the TransPerth Journey Planner to plan your journey..."!

Bus 400

Some drivers may of noticed that the clock on the driver module is a bit hard on the eyes. Well, today I noticed some units have had a clock change. The new clocks are larger & the day & seconds have been removed. The new clock is certainly easier to read & will help out the older drivers who have trouble reading small print (& some younger drivers as well).

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 19, 2010, 07:14:45 PM
Some drivers may of noticed that the clock on the driver module is a bit hard on the eyes. Well, today I noticed some units have had a clock change. The new clocks are larger & the day & seconds have been removed. The new clock is certainly easier to read & will help out the older drivers who have trouble reading small print (& some younger drivers as well).
Yes, that was recognised as an issue to be fixed in the early days of the MyWay trial - pleased to hear that it's happening now...haven't had any buses with the new clock format yet but it sounds a definite improvement. The seconds feature was a pain.

smitho

New MyWay software was being trialled by several Tuggy drivers yesterday; if it works, it will avoid the need for drivers to 'select trip' at both the depot and again at the interchange when starting out.

Also featured the enlarged and simplified digital clock - big improvement. 

Bus 400

There appeared to be quite a few MyWay machines not working this morning.

Sir

The one on my morning bus kept on changing screen saying service was not avilable and then would go back to ready-to-go mode.

Sir Pompously

Did it enter service every time you passed a bus stop?

Sir

I'm not really sure i'll have a look tommrow. However that could be a possible.

Snorzac

That's what they should be doing, it stops people tagging off when not at a stop