General Discussion 2011-2015

Started by Barry Drive, December 31, 2010, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Happy New -- general bus discussion -- Year !

Irisbus Rider

With an expected top temp of 37C today, there's no doubt that certain buses will not be completing their full shift! On the road this morning (11:30am), I saw the ACTION breakdown response vehicle turning into William Webb Dr, so by the looks of it, the fun and games had already begun!

Bus 400

It looks like ACTION Buses might be displaying accreditation numbers once again as I spotted Bus 969 with such numbers being clear.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on January 06, 2011, 08:22:29 PM
It looks like ACTION Buses might be displaying accreditation numbers once again as I spotted Bus 969 with such numbers being clear.
Confusing. The Act (Road Transport (Public Passenger Services) Act 2001) allows the Territory to operate a regular route service "whether or not the Territory—
(a) is accredited under the regulations to operate regular route services; "  [Section 18(2) ]

Yet ACTION is listed as an accredited operator (ACT BS011RR/TC) which makes that section somewhat redundant.

Under the Regulations (Road Transport (Public Passenger Services) Regulation 2002) an accredited operator must display on the bus " ... the name in which the accreditation is held and the accreditation number allocated to the operator by the authority. " [Regulation 30(1) ] and must also "ensure that an advertisement for the bus service identifies the service by its accreditation number. " [Regulation 30A(1) ].

I have to assume that the accreditation is being put back on following the Auditor General's recommendation which stated that "ACTION should review all legislative requirements and develop and implement strategies to meet the requirements of [them]".

p_stampy

What's with buses saying 110 not in service or something?

Also, an Iris should say:

503 Service Unavailable
    The server bus is currently unavailable (because it is overloaded heated or down for maintenance).[2] Generally, this is a temporary state.

or

417 Expectation Failed
    The server bus cannot meet the requirements of the Expect request-header field doing what it's meant to do, and actually run.

bubzie

I'd be happy with

...well, bus instead of train.

CNG

Quote from: p_stampy on January 13, 2011, 08:34:04 AM
What's with buses saying 110 not in service or something

The reason busses say 110 not in service is because 110 is the code drivers have to put in to make the desto. I know it is pritty stupid wish it still said 000 or just "not in service"

Sir Pompously

Buses, not busses. Bus-es-es would be how that sounds, has been bugging me for a while. For some reason the person who did the Desto's seemed to have entered 110 into the route number section, which really should just be left blank when writing the file....

bubzie

I dont like it saying 110, as if there's a bus say, going through the interchange saying 110, i'll misread it as 111.
which means that i'll think that i've missed the bus or something. :bonk:

CNG

Quote from: Sir Pompously on January 13, 2011, 08:54:15 PM
Buses, not busses. Bus-es-es would be how that sounds, has been bugging me for a while. For some reason the person who did the Desto's seemed to have entered 110 into the route number section, which really should just be left blank when writing the file....

Sorry I am actually a good speller outside the forum for some reason I always stuff it up here.

p_stampy

Maybe get a spell check add-on for your browser.

Buzz Killington

Indeed. Everyone makes mistakes and I find having a spell checker quite useful.

CNG

Sir Pompously

London Cct Comm Bank stop has the shelter fenced off. They have fenced right to the kerb, the collard is on one side while the passengers are waiting on the other as you cannot see the bus approaching. Good work.

CNG

Don't take my word but I think 882 might be a tuggers bus now

Buzz Killington

Quote from: CNG on January 28, 2011, 07:55:06 PM
Don't take my word but I think 882 might be a tuggers bus now

Added to the Wiki page a week ago: http://actbus.net/fleetwiki/index.php?title=BUS_882

883 is reportedly there too, just awaiting confirmation.

Bus 400

With Kambah School set to open in the coming days, I am wondering........When will school routes for Kambah School begin?

Some of you may ask why won't the 60 & 62 Routes do? Well back during Kambah High times, we had school buses drop a few kids off from the Lanyon Valley & a school bus that followed the 62 route & one that followed the 0 route except it deviated via Gleneagles & occasionally Allchin Cct. This left the normal route service free for the general public.

bubzie

uhhh, in the mornings we only had the 555 (which ran from tuggeranong to kambah, but would get you there at like 8:15, so that was not useful), the bus that ran from lanyon to mckillop via kambah, and that was it..

i'm sure it'll be out with all the "term 1 route changes" or something

Bus 400

I swear we had more as I'm sure one fine morning, Kambah kids threw stink bombs threw the back windows of 3 school buses.

Buzz Killington

The 858 serviced Kambah High in the AM before they changed the route to run it along Vansittart, but it was very rare for Kambah High students to use it - they all caught the 60.

CNG

To get a HR licence do u need a manual C Class licence?

p_stampy

Did you consult the internet ?

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/licensing/licenceupgrade.htm

"HR       hold a class C, licence or equivalent licence for at least 2 years"

CNG

Yes I did I still wasn't sure what it ment, manual or auto but it must be both.

Busnerd

Manual or auto has nothing to do with the MR/HR side of it, the MR/HR is the vehicle size, transmissions are just licence conditions.

I have an unrestricted C licence, so when I got my MR it became an unrestricted MR with condition B - Heavy vehicle to have auto or synchromesh transmission. Meaning because I didn't do my MR test in a crashbox/manual? I can't drive heavy vehicles with those but I can still drive a manual car...even though I am terrible at it...

Basically get your P's, once you've had them 12 months you can go for your MR (still on P's, would be PMR's) then after two years you can go for HR whilst on P's, so still PHR's :p)

Bus 400

Does anyone know why a lot of Tuggeranong buses were around the workshop this weekend? There does appear to be a few work platforms around these buses.

Buzz Killington

Because I'm lazy, can somebody answer this question submitted via the ACT Bus Website contact form?

QuoteHi there I'm having trouble finding a bus which picks up at the bus-stop on Kingsford Smith Drive at Latham and goes up to Kingsford Smith Drive at Flynn (hopping off on Kingsford Smith Drive just across from Melba Shops).

Barry Drive

There isn't one. 906 comes closest. 14/314 turns off at Companion Cres.

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

Quote from: Sir Pompously on January 18, 2011, 03:24:35 PM
London Cct Comm Bank stop has the shelter fenced off. They have fenced right to the kerb, the collard is on one side while the passengers are waiting on the other as you cannot see the bus approaching. Good work.

This stop was unveiled today, it is very different style to any other shelter. All the plastic/glass stuff has gone & has been replaced with metal sheets with holes in them on most sides. The 2 top panels on the sides are now open, this means that bus drivers can now see someone sitting in the bus shelter. It is also maroon in colour & has wooden seats (seen from driving past). The actual shelter from the rain is the same as the other one, which had panels missing most of the time anyway. I'll try & get a photo this weekend.

Buzz Killington

I know the new set has been there for a while now, but it's about bloody time they got around to replacing those crappy old traffic lights at the intersection of Callam and Launceston Streets in Phillip.

400:D

Has anyone noticed 851's middle number on the front desto is Digital but the rest is roller?

Buzz Killington

Quote from: 400:D on February 28, 2011, 04:56:17 PM
Has anyone noticed 851's middle number on the front desto is Digital but the rest is roller?

....what?!

Bus 400

Here is a photo of Bus 851 on Wednesday 23 February, I can't see a digital number in the middle, but the 3 does look quite faded. So maybe it was changed in the last few days (adding to the bus shortage).

400:D

It is definitely gone, it was running a 684 and it looked digital, either this or ACTION really has a bus shortage and can't fix the fading.

Buzz Killington

They wouldn't replace a single digit with a digital version. It's the whole thing or not at all.

The number rolls aren't *that* hard to come by, particularly with fourteen withdrawn renaults sitting around doing FA

The Love Guru

Quote from: 400:D on February 28, 2011, 04:56:17 PM

Have you been smoking something you shouldn't?

Barry Drive

Quote from: Chris_Guru on February 28, 2011, 07:06:15 PM
Have you been smoking something you shouldn't?
Must have been. 851's desto number rolls are unchanged - the outer ones have been replaced and the middle one is old and faded.

Quote from: Bus 400 on February 25, 2011, 09:04:41 PM
... & has wooden seats
To correct myself from earlier - the seats in this shelter have not been replaced (compare with the Electricity House stop), although they may have been repainted. So yes, they are wooden.

Snorzac

Speaking of destos, 938 had a broken desto yesterday, next in line for a Hanover maybe?

Barry Drive

Quote from: Metrobus on March 01, 2011, 09:35:47 AM
Speaking of destos, 938 had a broken desto yesterday, next in line for a Hanover maybe?
Or else they could use the one they took out of 946.

Still speaking of destos, one of the front number rolls in 848 was loaded upside-down. But it may well be fixed by now.

Bidgee

ACT Police posted on their twitter page that there is a accident between a bus and two cars at the intersection of Ashley Drive and Barraclough Crescent in Monash.

Buzz Killington

Couple of cars and a (quote) "small white community bus"

Sir

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 01, 2011, 07:14:12 PM
Couple of cars and a (quote) "small white community bus"

Hope it wasn't 490!

Bus 400

Quote from: Sir on March 01, 2011, 07:32:13 PM
Hope it wasn't 490!

490 is ok, was on a 705N after the incident. Anyway 490 isn't that small as it is too big to go into Belconnen Depot (from what I recall).

Buzz Killington

I got the impression that it was a Rosa sized vehicle. Not sure of the operator (ACTION, Keirs, Goodwin etc)

Snorzac

I saw it in the City at about 1800 doing a 319. Speaking of accidents 903 was involved in an accident exiting the Westfield Bus Station this afternoon, the can was pretty bad, but apparently the bus was fine.

Barry Drive

It was only a matter of time before an idiot driver caused a crash at that intersection (assuming this was the first such collision). They put in additional signage, even marked GIVE WAY onto the road surface, but .... drivers pay no attention to signs anyway.

belcodriver

Quote from: MyWay on March 01, 2011, 08:07:22 PM
It was only a matter of time before an idiot driver caused a crash at that intersection (assuming this was the first such collision). They put in additional signage, even marked GIVE WAY onto the road surface, but .... drivers pay no attention to signs anyway.

I've had several near misses at the Westfield Station. They weren't crashes because I go through there expecting stupidity and am ready with the horn and brakes. I think the bus station should have been on the new section of Cohen St off Lathlain St with no cars allowed. Canberrans survived the first 30 odd years of Belco Mall without Cohen St going down to Benjamin Way plus the new northern car park is accesible off Lathlain.

Barry Drive

A car was illegally parked on Nellie Hamilton Av tonight - something which happens weekly. It makes it impossible to do the turn on route 59 (unless in a Dart). It's time that route stopped going through there and instead serviced more of Forde and Bonner.

Bus 400

Hopefully by the time Network 11 comes around, that new link road into Forde is complete so that north & west Forde can be better serviced . Also hopefully Mulligans Flat Road is reopened to help out north Bonner.

At least now most of the main construction is off Mabo Avenue, so bus stops can't really be blocked up

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on March 09, 2011, 10:37:02 PMhopefully Mulligans Flat Road is reopened to help out north Bonner.

Its closed? What for? Presumably just the section past the main roads into Bonner?