Question about TC Bus driver employment

Started by Happy, September 05, 2020, 05:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

G'day, I am wanting to apply for a recent position advertised by TC for a weekend bus driver. However before I go through the effort, I thought I could ask the community about two questions that I think might pose a hindrance.

1)The ad says the applicant should
Quotehave great map reading and time-keeping skills
What does it exactly mean to have great map reading skills ? Isn't the ability to look at a map and figure things out, just a workaday thing? And how can a bus driver ever assure to keep his bus on time. Isn't that dependent on several factors out of their control?

2)
QuoteIdeally your driving record is squeaky clean too.
Now, a few years (5'ish?)ago I accidentally ran a red light in NT. This F-350 who wouldn't stop tailing my little car - and since tail gaters have never bothered me. Anyway, so, my driving record isn't squeaky clean. Should I even bother applying ?

I did email about question 2 to the contact in the job ad but haven't heard back yet.

Cheers,

Stan butler

Quote from: Happy on September 05, 2020, 05:55:00 PM1)The ad says the applicant should 
What does it exactly mean to have great map reading skills ? Isn't the ability to look at a map and figure things out, just a workaday thing? And how can a bus driver ever assure to keep his bus on time. Isn't that dependent on several factors out of their control?

Yes - believe it or not, some people these days cannot read a map.  They rely on the gps too much and simple map reading skills are not taught these days. I believe bus drivers are strongly encouraged to plan dead runs via a supplied ubd map.  They are not allowed to use their phones.

But as long as you can read a ubd map, read the index of streets and locations in said map, pin point a location via the map co-ordinates and navigate your way there then you should be fine. 

If you travel on an action bus, then you may have seen that some drivers use a paper based route guide that tells them where to go -ie what streets to go and where to turn.  Those guides help for actual routes, but I think the maps are needed mostly for dead running and maybe diversions.

As for timing, of course there are variables that may delay a driver, but you still need to turn up to work at a suitable time, manage the time of your breaks and lunches etc.  also allow suitable time for dead running etc.  all these are dependent on your time management skills too. Don't forget buses run to a timetable and there is also a lot happening behind the scenes that the drivers need to manage too. But having said that, I have seen drivers use the radio when they are running late - so drivers do have that backup facility too.

Quote from: Happy on September 05, 2020, 05:55:00 PM2)Now, a few years (5'ish?)ago I accidentally ran a red light in NT. This F-350 who wouldn't stop tailing my little car - and since tail gaters have never bothered me. Anyway, so, my driving record isn't squeaky clean. Should I even bother applying ?

I did email about question 2 to the contact in the job ad but haven't heard back yet.

I wouldn't worry about red light running.  As long as you don't have a history of offences and no duis.

As for the email you sent, don't forget these are public servants and I very much doubt the recruiting office does not work on the weekend.  Just wait a few days.

Happy

What sort of medical fitness is tested for a casual bus driver?

Google shows an old advertisement which says
QuoteBus Driver Medical
Applicants will also be required to undertake a Medical examination which includes a rigorous
assessment of their functional ability. This tests for full range of movements and includes
lifting/carrying 20kg, squats and push ups. Applicants should be in a physically fit condition to
undertake and pass the assessment.

Its been a very long time since I have done squats or push ups, which is the only concern at the moment. :-\

Happy

Ok. So called Aspen and asked what the physical requirements were in terms of push ups and squats. Turns out its wall push ups and 45 degree squats. Should be relatively easy.
Got me license history checks. And application submitted. See how I go now. Wonder if being new to Canberra is going to go against me in the map test. If they ask me to point a suburb, I wonder what I will do.

Stan butler

Quote from: Happy on September 11, 2020, 03:40:55 PMOk. So called Aspen and asked what the physical requirements were in terms of push ups and squats. Turns out its wall push ups and 45 degree squats. Should be relatively easy.
Got me license history checks. And application submitted. See how I go now. Wonder if being new to Canberra is going to go against me in the map test. If they ask me to point a suburb, I wonder what I will do.

Easy - look the suburb up in the index, get the grid reference and find it from there.  If you can use a map then you'll have no problems. 

People move to Canberra specifically for the bus driving job and they get through ok - so don't stress.