Drivers who got their licences from a cereal packet.

Started by belcodriver, December 30, 2008, 10:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belcodriver

The first in what I suspect will be many, many posts about all the mouth-breathers I see doing spastic things on the roads.

Today coming into Belconnen Interchange off Emu bank there's two young guys in their cars parked side by side having a chat, while blocking the entrance. I of course honk the horn, they move up onto the grass to the right of the entrance. I stop next to one and ask him what the hell he's doing. He replies, "I just saw my mate". I tell him it's a bus interchange.

Admin Note: Title name changed. Please refrain from using potentially offensive wording.

Trolleybusracer

I was behind a fuckwit Cabbie driving back from Olympic park the other night (uhhh wait it was 2 am) i wanted to pass the dick but he kept swerving all over the fucking place, got up beside him at the lights and he was looking at his GPS and every 30 or so secodns glimpsing up to see the road

Gah Fucking Taxi Drivers!!!! go Back to Harris Park where you belong!

Buzz Killington

Here's one for you..

I was driving along Isabella Drive a little while ago (Tuggers bound), on one of the one-lane-each-way stretches. A p-plater behind me (i was doing about 90 in an 80 zone, mind you) moves across onto the other side of the road driving as if its a second lane

I was naturally like *wtf* especially seeing as though we were about 100m from the roundabout - from which two cars had just exited and were headed straight for him. he quickly zipped back behind me just in time, and since i was turning left, flogged it through the right hand lane. What. a. MORON.

Busnerd

I was driving down parramatta road on the weekend and i saw a camry approaching an intersection and of course he rolls out into my lane doing about 20, so i held down the horn, slammed on the brakes, swerved across to lane three then back into lane two, and slowed down in front of him, honking the whole time, and its some asian guy and he gave me a thankyou wave!

and im about to head to the airport to get todd so expect reports of taxi's being honked at

Buzz Killington

reminds me, i was driving along drakeford (about where U-Stow-It is) at Kambah, in the right hand lane the other day. A moron in a commodore was in the left lane and just about where the left/right turn slip lanes begin.

Suddenly, the guy decides he wants to turn right, and cuts across all three lanes to do so, straight in front of myself and two other cars. if i hadn't slammed on the brakes i would've hit him for sure.

Rest assured, the brakes weren't all i slammed on.

Bus 400

I still remember the day when I was driving on the back round around Chisholm Shops past Chisholm Fire Station when I car puller in front of me & as I slammed the brakes & horn on, they kept on going for a metre & stopped in the middle of teh road with a clueless look on their face.

Another one is that motorcyclist that was in the news yesterday...(speaks for itself)

Trolleybusracer

Quote from: Busnerd on December 31, 2008, 05:27:16 PM
I was driving down parramatta road on the weekend and i saw a camry approaching an intersection and of course he rolls out into my lane doing about 20, so i held down the horn, slammed on the brakes, swerved across to lane three then back into lane two, and slowed down in front of him, honking the whole time, and its some asian guy and he gave me a thankyou wave!

and im about to head to the airport to get todd so expect reports of taxi's being honked at

It was a Commodore me thinks

Busnerd

No, it was a white camry with a Red P.

Well we're back from the airport, i drove around the airport 3 times before I finally found a taxi to honk at. The traffic light  went orange and he moved into my lane, so i sped up just to honk him, and flashed the lights.

The light went green and he indicated to go back to the left lane, so i honked again, and then he spent 10 seconds sitting half in both lanes so i held down the horn then he stopped and I went past him shaking my head.

I came around to get todd and the cars were banked up waiting to get into the pick up bays, so i waited for a taxi to cut in front of, then sped around everyone waiting and stopped in a no stopping bay and picked up todd :)

Buzz Killington

i get the feeling this will be the most posted in thread since "some general discussion" in the moderators section

bubzie

i had someone go along every single frigging spot in the carpark today, who stopped, saw that there wasnt a car there, finally found a space (Leaving me to zoom around looking for one), and i saw them head towards the parking metre, noticed it, and was like "Oh, we have to pay for parking here??"

WHY??

Buzz Killington

Oh that reminds me..

I was in the Coles-side carpark of Tuggeranong today, and for those who don't know, you actually have to pay for your parking if you have been there for two hours or more, before you go back to your car.

Anyways, some stupid woman didnt realise, got out of her car, apologised to the person behind her and ran off (leaving her car and passenger sitting at the boom gate) to go pay for the parking. I was sandwiched in so i just had to sit there. after five minutes, i turned and saw her at the machine being helped by somebody else. Eventually she got back to the car and drove off. No less than thirteen cars were held up by her idiocy.

Bus 400

I have one type of driver for this thread title-Taxi Drivers.

Irisbus Rider

It's all good in Belconnen, believe it or not, I have not yet encounted a honk-worthy experience on the roads.

Give it time, eh....?

Bus 400

There were a few of these drivers around Civic last night, including 1, who at 12:30 had no headlights on. But the worst were the pedestrians who thought they were cars & walking in front of cars,taxi's,buses,fire trucks, etc on Northboune Ave.

Trolleybusracer

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on January 01, 2009, 06:16:58 AM
It's all good in Belconnen, believe it or not, I have not yet encounted a honk-worthy experience on the roads.

Give it time, eh....?

Your to tolerable to others, i think a weekend or Rail Marshalling will do you good, you'll never pity a taxi driver again

Irisbus Rider

Ha ha, I'll have to bring out the bitch in me if I ever marshall then. Thanks for the warning :P

belcodriver

Yesterday confirmed that Friday afternoon is when Canberrans bring their Z-game on to the road.

First up I'm going straight through the Luxton St roundabout in the outside lane when this bikini-clad young girl in a Subaru station wagon zooms past me and cuts into my lane, I honk and narrowly miss then pulled up next to her at the lights. She had the passenger window open so I called out, "hey sweetheart how do you think your dad would feel if you sideswiped a bus in his car?" Unsatisfyingly she just gripped the wheel and looked blankly ahead.

Second, heading north on Gundaroo Dr past the Gungahlin Dr lights at the form one lane this woman sat level with the middle of the bus until it finally get into her thick head that I wasn't going to slow down and let her in and zoomed past just in time to avoid a collision. I'm not certain of the law but I operate on the assumption that whoever's nose is in front when merging should stay in front. To make matters worse she had two small kids in the car.

Buzz Killington

Pretty sure you're correct in your "nose in front" assumpion is what the law is.

Pics of bikini girl? :)

bubzie

I had some senior today at the traffic lights, when the lights went green, stayed there for about 10 seconds (I really should of beeped..), then finally moved, and went ..20kms/hr. I kid you not.

He's still probly on his way home now... (2 hours later :D)

belcodriver

Quote from: Mr Snrub on January 17, 2009, 02:33:38 PM
Pretty sure you're correct in your "nose in front" assumpion is what the law is.

Pics of bikini girl? :)

Even if we're not correct about the law you'd think it would be prudent to get your snot-nosed spawn out of the way of a vehicle at least 5 times heavier than yours driven by someone who doesn't have to bear the cost of crash repairs.

No pics of bikini girl, I'm not that unprofessional.

Bus 400

It looks as if people seem to think that if they have a smaller vechile then yours they have right of way. As I drive a bloody long Toyota Camry & many a time I have people in cars similar to Hyundai Excels attempt to squeeze up my sdie when forming one lane. But as I am like 2m long I always get in front.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on January 19, 2009, 04:49:04 PMAs I drive a bloody long Toyota Camry

Nooooo!

I hope you don't drive the 5th version (i.e. 1997 to 1999 model).

I do have a story, but it's bus related.
I was with a driver heading to Woden on a 3 down Hindmarsh Dr, and we go into the lane to turn right, and leaving a safe gap between the car in front of us. One driver interpreted this gap as an opportunity to merge in front of us, leaving no more than 50cm between the bus and car. Naturally, the bus driver holds his horn down at this car cutting in front of us, and shows him a hand gesture representing what he thinks of the car driver.
The driver doesn't see to kindly to this, and slams his brakes on, in front of the bus, forcing us to do the same, throwing old grannies and their unrestrained shopping bags everywhere. The car driver merely speeds off, with a smirk on his face.
The driver said: "What that car doesn't realise is that this is a 16t bus, and his car is 1t, had I hit him, he would have ended up with a compact".
I think most car drivers don't realise how dangerous a bus can be.

Barry Drive

A few weekends ago my bus nearly had a Mercedes as a hood ornament - I was driving route 932 (north bound) along Commonwealth Ave. Once I entered the bus lane outside Albert Hall I started to accelarate because there were no passengers getting on or off. At the Flynn Place intersection there were two cars approaching - the one in front (a black Mercedes) was slowing down so I assumed that he/she was preparing to give way to me. Wrong!

It slowed down almost to a stop, then proceeded across the hold line almost in front of me. I don't know if they didn't see me coming or, like many drivers seem too, assumed that buses can't exceed 50 km/h. Since I didn't think that I could stop in time my only option was to swerve and blow the horn. It still didn't stop so I had to move completely into the middle lane to avoid hitting it. Fortunately there was no traffic in the lane otherwise it could have gotten ugly.

Irisbus Rider

You should have just hit it! For two reasons, it'll teach them a lesson, and, it would have been safer, to hit them, safer than swerving, but I understand, there is a lot of paperwork to fill out if you're involved in an incident.

Busnerd

I saw another example of people wanting to be hit today.

A 14.5 was on Wickham street in both lanes waiting to turn onto west botany street to then turn onto marsh street.

Of course a taxi decides to squeeze past and sit next to it at the lights. The light goes green and the bus starts to turn, the taxi obviously knew the bus needed two lanes, but he still cut the bus off causing it to slam on the brakes so the taxi could then speed ahead of it to turn left.

How do people get their licences? No one ever realises that they MUST give way to heavy vehicles that require two lanes to turn.

Another time I was on a 400 turning left onto coward street, he went into lane two with his left indicator on and just before he turned the wheel a car went into the 1st lane and turned left. I just wish the bus had started turning as that car would have gone crunch into the side of the bus, causing it to be written off. The bus wouldve just gotten two new panels.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: TP 3000 on January 19, 2009, 04:49:04 PMBut as I am like 2m long I always get in front.

heh

i think most cars are at least two metres..

Bus 400

Today I was heading north on Erindale Dr & at thee form 1 lane just after the Drakeford Dr lights when I had this car attempt to squeeze in front of me. But by the time the road became one lane, the front of his car was in line with my rearvision mirror & abused me for not letting him in front.

Buzz Killington

Busnerd

We had a weird one last night.

We were driving along then this tall ute appears to our rear in the next lane. He indicates into our lane for about 2km, but he clearly wasn't too concerned about getting in, he wouldnt slow down or speed up to get in. We were both just doing 60. Then he starts honking at us for not letting him in, so Norbert slows down then the guy moves into our lane and turns left about 5km later...

WTF?

If I was driving I would've put my right indicator on and started honking at him!

Buzz Killington

what a knob. i hate those people who just expect you to get out of their way.

Buzz Killington

some good examples from recent days..

i was turning right from Corranderk onto Parkes Way, on the inside lane of the roundabout. Some moron in a campervan waiting to turn right from Parkes into Corranderk, in the outer lane, sees me coming yet still decides to pull out (fair enough i think, he's in the other lane and he'll be going slower), but no. The moron cuts me off to get into the inside lane, then does about 10km/h around. Ugh.

Today, i was on Cooyong St, at the intersection with Northbourne. I was in the middle lane, at the front, waiting at the red light. I heard sirens and could see a fire truck in my lane. I stayed where i was because the right lane was free and there was nobody else coming up that would block them in. Northbourne had the green lights, and the three cars at the front of the pack of traffic going along northbourne were all speeding. The people in the left and right lanes saw the truck and stopped, but the DICKHEAD in the middle lane decided to keep going, resulting in him always being T-Boned by a firetruck doing at least 50 km/h. The end result was the firetruck had to slam on the brakes to avoid shunting the car well across northbourne, and braked hard enough to squeal the tires. The firetruck absolutely blasted the horn at the moron.

Aside from that, i really hate people who sit in the right lane on the parkway, southbound, then cut everyone off when they decide at the last possible second that they want to turn off at Hindmarsh.

Bus 400

The thing that I have seen the last few weeks has been people will sit in the right lane on Athllon Dr & sit on 60k's. Then they turn left at the next intersection.

Also I don't know if anyone has any more information. But there was one bad driver this afternoon, with an accident at the intersection of Northbourne Avenue & Bunda Street which resulted in a car being on its side & all southbound lanes on Northbourne being closed & diversions in place.

Buzz Killington

I didnt see anything, must have been after i left civic this arvo.

Bus 400

I heard it on the 17:00 104.7 Traffic Report. Although I have heard them mention a broken down bus at an intersection that I was driving through at the time & no bus was there.

Buzz Killington

ugh, like that moron on 104's time saver traffic has any idea what he is talking about. i'm yet to hear a SINGLE report where he doesnt mess up his words.

and while i'm at it, why did they change the time saver traffic music for like two weeks before changing back to the thunderbirds theme?

Snorzac

I heard on 104 while I was at work that there were 2 cars overturned on Northbourne ave

Buzz Killington

Ed

Quotebut the DICKHEAD in the middle lane decided to keep going, resulting in him almost being T-Boned by a firetruck doing at least 50 km/h

It'll be hilarious if the dickhead did get T-Boned by the firetruck. He deserved every bit of it. 

Buzz Killington

I was turning right from Soward Way into Scollay St this afternoon to go the Caltex servo, with one car in front of me (a P plater). As most of you would know, there are no arrows on these traffic lights, meaning you have to give way to any vehicles travelling straight ahead through the intersection, before you turn right.

The driver in front of me chose not to give way, or believed that they had it, because they decided to turn right, and ended up right in front of 898 which was going straight ahead through the intersection. The driver slammed on the brakes and the horn, and the car appeared to slam on theirs for a minute too, before putting the foot down to get out of the buses' path, thankfully managing to get out of the way before any damage was done... to the bus :)

I also believe the driver may have been one of those who is a member here, but doesnt post too often.

Snorzac

A year 12 at my school yesterday was showing off trying to drift through the bus bay, lost control and hit a tree, what a dickhead!

Buzz Killington

hahahahah, what a tool

I trust everyone pointed and laughed.

Snorzac

Bus 400

All Sydney drivers got their licences from cerea packets. After spening 3 days there last weekend I have seen most speed, go through red lights-even if it turns red as they reach the stop line, love tailgating & blowing their horn & swerving through each other. Although to get anywhere in Sydney you have to shove your way into lanes.

bubzie

ok, so yesterday, i was in the right hand lane of a roundabout, going straight through it.
In the left lane, right next to me, was someone who presumably was either going straight through, or turning LEFT.

About half way through, she decided, that she needed to be in my lane. So she went straight into my lane, without looking, and came THIS CLOSE to me running into her car.

My horn was beeped, and some classy words were said.

Bus 400

At the intersection of Moore St & Alinga St, some moron zoomed in front of 340 that was heading into City Interchange & 340 just missed by seconds from t-boning it.

Also this one is different, but a cyclist thought that he could dash across Barry Drive & beat a fire truck this morning. But of course he came off second best.

Buzz Killington

ahhh so that's what happened to that cyclist. i drove past and saw him sitting on the road, blood all over his face, being treated by the firies and ambos.

Bus 400

Not long after the incident the ACTION van was there helping with traffic & a few cops. Not quite sure if the truck was heading under lights & sirens because as soon as it happened, they had the flashing lights anyway.

Bus 400

Today I drove behind the funeral possession for David Balfour from Phillip Fire Station to Woden Cementery & most drivers were ok.

Except for when the procession turned left on Yamba Dr. The first car in the lane to turn right from Hindmarsh Dr to Yamba Dr was going to wait for the procession. However the impatient pricks behind them abused them until they moved. However the first car waited on Yamba Dr for the procession to pass & the line of 5/6 cars cued up across the intersection. At least the last car picked up a ticket for going through the red light (as they crossed the line as the camera flashed (but the west bound lanes had not had a green light yet). These impatient pricks were also held up as there was a police car at the rear of the procession blocking cars from overtaking everyone else.

Now anybody with compassion & brains (like that first car) would wait for the procession to pass & wouldn't care if you were late because a great bloke had his funeral procession on your road.

Bus 400

Went investigating today.

The accident on Belconnen Way/Barry Drive/Fairfax Street was the result of a car on Belconnen Way speeding through the Fairfax Street lights & it just so happens that a car has come from Fairfax St & the force has rolled the Fairfax Street car.

Then on my way back there was another accident on Johnson Drive, Calwell where it appears that this Toyota Echo has either un up the back of another car or had a head on with another vechile. When I had a sticky beak that Echo/Corolla was the only vechile there with Police Accident Investigation Group & Roads ACT Clean Up Crew.

Buzz Killington

They showed the Belconnen/Barry/Fairfax accident on ABC News last night. One car was on its roof in the middle of the intersection.