ACTIONs Latest Ed-dition

Started by Ed, January 14, 2009, 03:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Drove the 752 around TISC for three laps.

Split from "What Bus?" thread, hence the short first post. - R

Busnerd

752 sounded nicer before its engine blew up :P

I've driven Ex ACTION 767, very nice renaults are

Ed

QuoteHow did you go today acvbn?

Apparently I did well, they said they'll ring me in a couple of days whether I've made it through to the interview stage or not.

belcodriver

Quote from: acvbn on January 15, 2009, 03:26:31 PM
QuoteHow did you go today acvbn?

Apparently I did well, they said they'll ring me in a couple of days whether I've made it through to the interview stage or not.

Unless you're a total retard you should get the job irrespective of how you do in the interview, the driving assessment is the important thing.

If it's like it was when I had mine you'll get asked a few hypothetical questions about situations on the bus. The only one I can specifically remember was about drunk passengers. I said something like, "if they're a happy drunk do nothing, if aggro radio for help" which seemed to be correct. "I'd throw them off the bus" is definitely wrong. We aren't allowed to touch passengers.

Ed

Apparently they didn't ask me any questions on drunk passengers. We did a literacy and numeracy test, drove 3 laps around TISC and did a customer service exercise.

belcodriver

Quote from: acvbn on January 17, 2009, 09:08:47 AM
Apparently they didn't ask me any questions on drunk passengers. We did a literacy and numeracy test, drove 3 laps around TISC and did a customer service exercise.

Do you still have the interview to come then?

Busnerd

he wouldn't have had the formal interview yet...

They usually seem to do literacy and numeracy first before they go on...

As the interview comes after the initial driving test.

smitho

My initial ACTION driving assessment at TISC started with some easy laps around the circuit and then went on to emergency braking, reversing between two curved rows of witches hats and weaving in and out between witches hats.  I did the literacy and numeracy test at the same time. From memory I had bus 752.

Ed

QuoteDo you still have the interview to come then?
Yes, the interview is still to come. By the way, how long is the time period between the initial driving assessment and interview?

Bus 400

A  question that Southern Coast Transit asked someone was about children with a lost ticket & he had the wrong answer as the Transperth rule is that no child gets left behind. Just a little tip.

I do have one question that somebody may be able to answer: Who the 'O' endorsement, do you do that with ACTION or do you have to do all of that before applying? As while I got my new license I ended getting the pack to do with getting an ACT Public Bus thingy ma bob & I was just curious.

Ed

QuoteWho the 'O' endorsement, do you do that with ACTION or do you have to do all of that before applying?

Yes, you do that all with ACTION. But it doesn't matter to me either way as I already got it.

The Love Guru

I don't think there is room for 2 top drivers at ACTION!!!!! Maybe wait until i retire before reopening this thread.  :P  :P  :P

Busnerd

No, three top drivers...one just has to wait ten months and 4 days before applying :)

belcodriver

Quote from: acvbn on January 17, 2009, 09:25:19 PM
QuoteDo you still have the interview to come then?
Yes, the interview is still to come. By the way, how long is the time period between the initial driving assessment and interview?

Can't remember but it's probably somewhat variable anyway. I do remember that it took me 5 months from submitting my application til I started training and that mine was the second class from people who applied at the same time. Some of the later classes would have waited more than a year.

Ed

I rang the recruiting cell today and was told that I have been cleared to proceed to the next stage, because I passed the relevant assessments. The next stage would probably be the interview. They said that the applications have to go to the regional managers and then come back to the recruiting cell. Then the recruiting cell would then call me to arrange the interview.

Bus 400

Just wondering if to work at ACTION you have to wait until the info nights come around, or if you can apply at any time?

belcodriver

AFAIK you don't have to wait for the info nights as such BUT the info nights are held a few weeks before applications are due which is usually only once a year.

Busnerd

They did about 4 or 5 info nights last year if I recall correctly

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, they were desperate for new recruits last year, and did hold quite a few info nights.

Busnerd

The year before they did about three I think.

If theres one in october/november I will go  along

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

I also saw 754 out on driver trainin yesterday turning right onto Isabella Dr, Monash (following th 63 route).

smitho

Quote from: smitho on January 17, 2009, 07:28:24 PM
My initial ACTION driving assessment at TISC started with some easy laps around the circuit and then went on to emergency braking, reversing between two curved rows of witches hats and weaving in and out between witches hats.  I did the literacy and numeracy test at the same time. From memory I had bus 752.

So it sounds like the initial driving assessment at Sutton Rd no longer includes the witches hats exercises - just straightforward laps. Is that right?

Tip for interviews: Don't forget about the importance of school buses in ACTION's operations and appropriate driver behaviour when having problems with school kids - ie. report it to your supervisor and the ACTION customer service people; don't attempt to deal with the school concerned yourself and don't toss badly behaved kids off the bus.

smitho

TP3000
Although you don't have to wait for an information night before applying to ACTION, it doesn't hurt to ring the recruiting people and let them know you're interested. They will then give you some idea as to timing of the various stages of recruiting so you'll know where you stand. They will also tell you how to apply and what documentation to use ...

I applied without going to an info session and was put through the initial driving assessment, literacy and numeracy test, interview and TISC training before getting around to an information night.

Bus 400

Thanks smitho as I am unemployed at the moment & I just know that as soon as I get another job, ACTION will start calling for drivers & I don't want to risk the job I would have on becoming a bus driver.

Bus 400

Spoke with the Recruitment Co-Ordinator today.
He told me that they have enough applicants to last them until June/July & maybe even until next year.

The process for becoming a bus driver goes as follows:
1-Driver training
2-30min Literacy/Numeracy Test
3-Interview
4-Sucess

If you fail any part of this, you can't apply for another 6 months.

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on January 27, 2009, 11:38:41 PM
Spoke with the Recruitment Co-Ordinator today.
He told me that they have enough applicants to last them until June/July & maybe even until next year.

The process for becoming a bus driver goes as follows:
1-Driver training
2-30min Literacy/Numeracy Test
3-Interview
4-Sucess

If you fail any part of this, you can't apply for another 6 months.

Surely you meant driver assessment - the 3 or so laps round the TISC track. There wouldn't be much point teaching people to drive only to later find they can't read.

Bus 400

I was told that Part 1 was a few laps around an private track.

Busnerd

Buzz Killington

should read
1. Few laps around TISC

5. Driver Training

Bus 400

On Monday I saw a driver being trained on 385 (the first ride on a MAN bus). He was doing the 08:09 61 to Tuggeranong Interchange. He did almost have the bus taken out while coming out of Kambah onto Athllon Drive, when he attempted to move off as an other car was flying down. But the trainer pointed it out.

But I am wondering at what stage a drivers taught to drive the new buses? As I know it the next 10-15 years all Renaults will be sold off. But I would think that they would make sure the driver had enough control of the Renaults first.

Busnerd

Just because they train people on older buses doesnt exactly make them better drivers.

Saying they aren't trained properly on a renault doesn't mean they are crap on a newer bus...

Obviously in that situation it is a new driver, who just needs to be more observant of other drivers.

New buses would probably be easier to drive (in some circumstances) as they are slower and have more features than an old bus would.

Bus 400

What I mean is that I would think that they wouldn't put a new driver onto a new bus until they are competent. As the new buses have more controls & if they wipe out a bus like 752. Then that wouldn't be as bad as wiping out Bus 379 as 752 will just be scrapped.

Busnerd

Yes, that's obvious...

All companies train drivers on older vehicles, because usually they are harder to drive and more basic, plus as you say its less of a loss if something happens if they have an old bus.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Mr Snrub on January 29, 2009, 04:35:30 PM
should read
1. Few laps around TISC

5. Driver Training

5. Driver training (TISC)
6. Licence test (TISC)
7. Driver training (ACTION)

Quote from: TP 3000 on February 05, 2009, 10:22:16 PM
What I mean is that I would think that they wouldn't put a new driver onto a new bus until they are competent.
Once you pass your licence test with TISC, you are competent.

Quote from: Busnerd on February 05, 2009, 10:23:59 PM
All companies train drivers on older vehicles, because usually they are harder to drive and more basic.
Good theory - except that the Renault PR100.2's are easier to drive than the rest of ACTION's fleet.

smitho

Quote from: TP 3000 on February 05, 2009, 10:14:42 PM
On Monday I saw a driver being trained on 385 (the first ride on a MAN bus). He was doing the 08:09 61 to Tuggeranong Interchange. He did almost have the bus taken out while coming out of Kambah onto Athllon Drive, when he attempted to move off as an other car was flying down. But the trainer pointed it out.

But I am wondering at what stage a drivers taught to drive the new buses? As I know it the next 10-15 years all Renaults will be sold off. But I would think that they would make sure the driver had enough control of the Renaults first.

Trainee drivers going through the 3 week ACTION course (which they do after successfully completing their TISC training) are taught to drive ALL types of ACTION buses other than the artics and the white mini buses. That's why you would have seen a trainee in a MAN.

After 5 to 6 months driving with ACTION, new drivers must then do their "artic upgrade" training through ACTION and get a Heavy Rigid Vehicle Licence (TISC assesses this) if they don't already have one.  (Artics require a Heavy Rigid License whereas all the other ACTION bus types just require a Medium Rigid license.)

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on February 05, 2009, 10:22:16 PM
As the new buses have more controls & if they wipe out a bus like 752.

Rubbish, or only if you count the airconditioning on/off switch. Otherwise all the buses have essentially the same set of controls.

Ed

Quote6. Licence test (TISC)

Once you pass your licence test with TISC, you are competent.

So what happens if you already have a HR licence + O condition, do you get to skip that bit?

Bus 400

Quote from: belcodriver on February 07, 2009, 07:49:49 AM
Rubbish, or only if you count the airconditioning on/off switch. Otherwise all the buses have essentially the same set of controls.

What about the button for lowering the bus (or am I getting confused with other companies, if so my mistake)?

Also depending on how far you want to go back. Bus 389 has one set of controls that Bus 752 doesn't.

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on February 09, 2009, 08:52:49 PM
Quote from: belcodriver on February 07, 2009, 07:49:49 AM

What about the button for lowering the bus (or am I getting confused with other companies, if so my mistake)?

Also depending on how far you want to go back. Bus 389 has one set of controls that Bus 752 doesn't.

Darts and Irises definitely have those, can't remember if Scanias do and don't know about the MANs. But that's still not many more.

Snorzac

MANs have 2 switches that you have to hold down at the same time.

Bus 400

For those future bus drivers I have found a copy of the application form from 2008.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ed

My interview has been confirmed on this Thursday (26th). What sort of questions do they ask you in the interview?

Barry Drive

Quote from: acvbn on February 23, 2009, 10:59:10 AM
My interview has been confirmed on this Thursday (26th). What sort of questions do they ask you in the interview?
The questions asked will be based on the selection criteria (as is the case with all public service jobs), with a strong focus on customer service.

To help you prepare I'll give you one question: why do you want to be an ACTION bus driver?

Buzz Killington

Not knowing your employment history 'acbvn', but if you have any experience in customer service, try to relate your experience to what will be required of you as a bus driver, customer service wise.

Bus 400

Just like how I tweaked my selection criteria to get into Shared Services with TAMS to focus on records management & HR as that it what the role is about.

But I am wondering how would you answer "Knowledge of, or the ability to acquire an understanding of, the operation of an urban transit system, particularly in relation to: routes, timetables, network services and cash handling procedures?"

Buzz Killington

cash handling is easily related back to pretty much any employment that 90% of people would have at some stage in their life.

As for routes... if you've been in canberra a long time, that could always be a help. Timetables - we've all used them as passengers and as students.. I dunno. Interviews are different wherever you go, but I've always found the best way to do it is relate what work you have done in the past (or currently) to the job you're going for.

Bus 400

But I've never used my timetable as I know that most of the time the 62 leaves at either 39 or 32 minutes past the hour (depending on which direction) & the Intertown runs every 5 mins.

The way I have learnt EVERY ACTION route was when I was learning to drive/teaching people to drive.

Buzz Killington

so what if you didnt use a timetable, you just tell them you did.

95% of a job interview is talking out of your ass

Bus 400

& if all else fails, just copy the Pepsi Max ad.

Busnerd

LOL! at that ad...

But TP3000, what Mr Snrub was saying is, you don't have to have read a timetable, I think he means, if you have a good idea of all the routes in the network, and where they go, and sure, some of us could tell them entire routes with L's and R's with no problem, you could just say you something like you know the transport network extremely well and have a good understanding on how it works etc.

Plus you know how to read one and if need be you know how to help someone read one :P

Good luck acvbn, hope you get it...

For those who aren't interested I get my full licence in exactly 9 months today :P

Busnerd

how lame...

Note: Attachment has expired.

Ed

Interview went fairly well. They told me to wait for approx. another week for the training cell to call whether I am successful or not. But being ACTION, I suppose that one week can be translated into four weeks.

Bus 400

Congrats, but you can't bad mouth your future boss just yet. As their are ACTION spies on this website & they will report what you have said.

Irisbus Rider

Bus 400

Yep, they use the forum to see what the person is like with the general public & at keeping business secrets.

Buzz Killington

Posting any confidential operations information on this forum is not permitted and we'll remove said information and members if it does appear.

Bus 400

I know that, I mean like posting things like saying in Network '10 ACTION will turn the current weekend network into the Monday to Friday routes. Something that wll upset everyone, but no saying that ACTION has been short changing MAN $50,000 per bus by altering with the buses. (not real)

Busnerd

Yes of course, as all applicants for ACTION join and then post here...*rolly eyes*

Bus 400

Yyyeeesss they all do, of course they don't, just some as we only have 2/3 members marked as ACTION drivers.

Ed

I had another run through with a trainer assessor today. This time I drove a 100.2 around Tuggy depot, then onto the streets to Kambah, Chapman, through the Coppins Crossing road to Belco, then somewhere around spence and Melba. Then straight back to Tuggy depot. It took around 2 hours. The good news is that I officially start with ACTION on April 30.

Bus 400

Let me be the first to say congratulations & I hope to see you around one day.

Irisbus Rider

Congratulations! Yeah, will probably see you around town.

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

Cool, do you know which depot you will be stationed at to start with?

belcodriver

Quote from: Renault PR100.3 on March 04, 2009, 07:37:24 PM
Cool, do you know which depot you will be stationed at to start with?

It's usually whichever one is furthest from your home :)

Ed

They said the three week driver training will be conducted at Belconnen depot. But sometime during the three week training you will be able to pick your depot.

smitho

Quote from: acvbn on March 05, 2009, 05:06:39 PM
They said the three week driver training will be conducted at Belconnen depot. But sometime during the three week training you will be able to pick your depot.
Congratulations acvbn. By the sound of it, you've yet to do your TISC training (usually 2 to 4 days, depending on your experience). The TISC training always takes place before the 3 week ACTION course at Belconnen Depot. Which Depot will you go for?

Bus 400

Please say Tuggeranong.

Has there ever been a case (that anyone can think of) where one depot had enough drivers so a driver was unable to pick that depot?

Ed

Quoteyou've yet to do your TISC training (usually 2 to 4 days, depending on your experience

I've already got an HR licence so I get to skip that bit. But I'll have to do more "dead runs" with a trainer assessor before April 30.

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 05, 2009, 09:45:24 PM
Please say Tuggeranong.

Has there ever been a case (that anyone can think of) where one depot had enough drivers so a driver was unable to pick that depot?

Happens all the time, but drivers are usually only stuck at their non-preferred depot for a few months. It's not only new drivers, sometimes it's new fulltimers and artic qualified part-timers.

Bus 400

What sort of shift start/finish times are "newbies" given? Also do newbies get any sort of runs like full busses/school runs/empty routes?

smitho

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 06, 2009, 12:25:41 PM
What sort of shift start/finish times are "newbies" given? Also do newbies get any sort of runs like full busses/school runs/empty routes?
New drivers go straight in to the pool of 'floaters' - that is, drivers who don't have their 'own' shifts, so they will most likely get weekly shifts covering all sorts of runs from school buses, to Xpressos, locals and intertowns and can also pick up Specials if they volunteer to do so (charter runs).
Start and finish times can be at any times over the operating day depending on the shift.

smitho

Quote from: acvbn on March 06, 2009, 09:20:23 AM
Quoteyou've yet to do your TISC training (usually 2 to 4 days, depending on your experience

I've already got an HR licence so I get to skip that bit. But I'll have to do more "dead runs" with a trainer assessor before April 30.
Interesting - when I went through, I and others who already had their HR licence still had to go through the TISC assessment process, but then we didn't have to do the dead runs with a trainer assessor which you are doing.

Bus 400

Well tonight I saw a driver with "Driver Training" on the desto heading up Athllon Drive, it was a big green bus (Scania/MAN) but I was going too fast & it was getting dark to tell which one. Which means one of acvbn Class Mates has started his training (I think).

Bus 400

ACTION are now hiring drivers that are as good as the ones at Tuggeranong Depot & myself. I am in the process of applying & hope to be successful. The ad can be found at http://www.jobs.act.gov.au under TAMS Agency & at the bottom of the page.

Ed

I wish you good luck in your application and I hope that you are successful. As a side note, be prepared to wait at least a few months for your application to be processed. I put my application in at the end of November last year. It's been 5 months for me.   

Buzz Killington

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 19, 2009, 05:33:46 PM
ACTION are now hiring drivers that are as good as the ones at Tuggeranong Depot & myself.

I wouldn't put those two in the same category but okay..

Bus 400

Thanks I am expecting the wait & Mr Snrub you just wait & see.

smitho

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 19, 2009, 05:33:46 PM
ACTION are now hiring drivers that are as good as the ones at Tuggeranong Depot & myself. I am in the process of applying & hope to be successful. The ad can be found at http://www.jobs.act.gov.au under TAMS Agency & at the bottom of the page.
Good on you TP; good luck.
Some advice - make a really good effort with your application. Respond to the selection criteria fully, with examples from your past personal & work experience if you can.
Some applicants don't get past this first hurdle because they just don't address the criteria.

Bus 400

Thanks smitho, I am having a bit of help from a wife of a Tuggeranong Depot driver who's wife is someone in ACT Government HR & has helped out other drivers before. So it should hopefully be good, this same driver has also helped me with some questions like what driving a bus is like.

My application wouldn't be affected by me just getting a fine for driving in a Transit Lane? Had no demerit points taken off just a $169 fine which I'll just pay with Fed Tax Bonus so hehe.

Admin edit: I think we can do without your personal views on our police force

smitho

TP 3000
Re your fine for driving in the transit lane, all I can advise is to own up to it in your application. I'd be very surprised if it would put you out of the field.

Barry Drive

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 07, 2009, 10:32:47 PM
Which means one of acvbn Class Mates has started his training (I think).
(A) if Ed starts with ACTION on 30 April then his class mates also start on 30 April. It would be a different intake.

Quote from: TP 3000 on March 20, 2009, 05:49:29 PM
My application wouldn't be affected by me just getting a fine for driving in a Transit Lane? Had no demerit points taken off just a $169 fine which I'll just pay with Fed Tax Bonus so hehe.
(B) There is enforcement of transit lanes in Canberra? I've never seen it happen.
(C) WTF were you doing driving in a transit lane? Do you park in bus stops as well?

Buzz Killington

He thinks his dog counted as a second passenger. Unfortunately the australian road rules specify that you must have a second PERSON in the car.

And yeah, they are enforced. One of my friends got booked after she followed about 10 other cars overtaking a very slow vehicle in the right lane, and used the T2 to do so. (as luck would have it, only she was booked)

Bus 400

I didn't think it would affect me, as I was driving where the buses drive in. I have parked in bus bays to drop my Gran off for the bus & it easier for her to walk to the shelter rather then risk crossing at Woden Interchange.

I think that there is a blitz on lately, but it is a bit early-as the police are usually strict close to end of financial year. But he just happened to see me as I was moving off to go down State Circle.

Buzz Killington

Stopping in a bus bay to let out an elderly passenger is a bit different to driving in a T2 lane by yourself.

Bus 400

Ed

I did another dummy run with a trainer assessor at Tuggy depot, this time I drove up to Belconnen and through Belco depot and down to the ANU (which is the biggest pain in the arse). This will be the last dummy run before my three week paid training starting on April 22nd (they moved it forward a week).

Buzz Killington

What bus were you in Ed? I was driving past the ANU today along Barry Dr and saw a Mk1 Renault heading in there.

Ed

If it had the "Driver under instruction" plates on, then it would most likely be me. I was driving a 100.2 Mk1, I didn't quite catch the number but I can tell you it was 7??.

Buzz Killington

i was driving the opposite direction and didnt get a good look, but i think it was a 76# series. Probably would have been mid morning, maybe around 11.00-11.20

Ed

Was it turning right from Barry Drive into the ANU?

Buzz Killington

nah, it was on the Belconnen bound side near Kingsley St. I only noticed it because it was in the left lane, trundling along fairly slowly in the left lane with its left indicator on.

Ed

I went that way for the second loop around ANU, if there was an Asian guy standing in the front of the bus, then that would be me.

Buzz Killington

Cool... Probably would've noticed the L's and a fleet number but i was more concerned with the idiot in the lane next to me who looked like he was about to try and cut me off (he did)

Bus 400

In the ACT Gazette, 6 new drivers have started training with ACTION as of 20 March 2009. I'll keep an eye out for you Ed in the coming weeks.

ADMIN: I don't think its necessary to include the names.

Bus 400

This week only 2 drivers were added to ACTION & they started 26/03/09. But the funny thing is that these new drivers earn $9,000 a year then those that started a week earlier.

But I also picked up a few tips as a bus driver from the RATEC guys they are:

-People will whinge (especially Public Servants) & you will see certain things, but let it all blow over & ignore it.
-Don't become a dobber as you will be singled out.

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on April 09, 2009, 06:41:23 PM
This week only 2 drivers were added to ACTION & they started 26/03/09. But the funny thing is that these new drivers earn $9,000 a year then those that started a week earlier.

What the hell does this mean? Should 'more' be between 'then' (sic) and 'those'? If so I'd be extremely surprised if it's true.

Bus 400

Woops missed a word.

In the ACT Gazette dated 09/04/09- http://www.gazettes.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/131856/G0914.pdf go to page 17
In the ACT Gazette dated 02/04/09- http://www.gazettes.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/131854/G0913.pdf go to page 12

belcodriver

I think you've misinterpreted that because we've just got a pay rise, effective from April 2nd or 3rd. So the first lot would have been on the lower rate and the second on the higher. Although it was only 4% not enough to account for the difference. Anyway all bus drivers get paid the same except for those who haven't yet got their HR/artic upgrade (normally done 6 months after starting) who get about $2/hr less.

The figures for annual pay given in the gazettes are based on a 38hr week I believe but actual annual pay varies widely.

Bus 400

It looks as if ACTION are after even more staff, as in this weeks ACT Gazette, the positions of

-Manager, Regional Finance and Administration
-Administration Officer
-Depot Manager
-Diesel and Heavy Vehicle Mechanic

have been advertised. They are all for Northside. I have attached the position description for each position.

Bus 400

32 drivers have moved up to Full Time driver status today. With quite a few relocated from Tuggeranong to Belconnen Depot

Bus 400

I was checking the driver additions with ACTION for 2009. Here are the figures

January '09-0
February '09-6
March '09-9
April '09-15

Bus 400

I have been told that due to ACTION Admin problems. They have decided to cancel this latest intake. The thing that I noticed that the recuitment guy has changed in the last few weeks.

So that means that I'll have to try next time. But it does sound good that I wasn't knocked back due to my application, but due to ACTION problems.

Bus 400

I have found out that due to recent events within ACTION, all recruiting will be stopped while training is being reviewed.