ACTION's Destos

Started by Buzz Killington, May 26, 2009, 09:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Seriously, when are they going to do something about these?

Take the intertowns for example - exactly how is it useful for those who don't know the network or the city, to get on a bus at Belconnen that just has "Lanyon Marketplace" on the desto. Sure, thats where it goes, but that's after what, an hour? What about all the places it goes in between?

Bus 400

What about those that have "705 Belconnen" "via Parkway 705".

Or the 2 that leaves Woden with just Dickson on the desto. But atleast some routes have improved with ACTION finally using via Kambah East or West after the main destination.

lukeo25

what the 23/24 desto they need to say more on that one

Snorzac

The 3 has Belconnen{scroll} via Hospitals. What is should have is the top line static with final destination and then the bottom line scrolling between, Deakin, Hospitals and National Museum.

Busnerd

Well someone made ACTION a file for every bus including static top line final destinations and in order via's scrolling on the bottom line, but clearly they think what they have now is fine...

Snorzac

What they have now is rediculas. I mean not that its in service yet but the Redex destos are just pathetic.

Busnerd

Well using the info about redex I put in a couple of files for it, in the same process as the rest of the ones i did.

Bus 400

Well I suspect that this RedEx desto should copy the Circle Route from Transperth. The desto for the Circle Route has on the same screen "Circle Route" on the top line & then "Limited Stops" on the bottom line. For services that end mid route they have on the next screen "Last Stop" "Fremantle Station". So going by this, RedEx 1 could have desto "RedEx 1 Limited Stops" & then "Last Stop Tuggeranong Interchange"

Snorzac

I think it should be "R1" (or R2) Top line final Destination, then bottom scrolling with Limited Stops and a few of the major stops along the way

Busnerd

I put in

R1 TUGGERANONG
   via somewhere, somewhere else

Irisbus Rider

Destos have always been an issue with ACTION, I simply don't understand it. Hats off to the attempts made to better the destos!

Busnerd

Well  if they want them, just ask i have them ready!

Bus 400

If you anyone gets a chance, check out the destos on the MkI's. They are the best desto that ACTION has had. For example one desto states "Spence McKellar Belconnen", now that is the current 12 to a T. There is also a northbound 300 desto of "Woden City Belconnen" or even EPIC (in full) City.

But while some routes have improved, others have gone down hill with their desto info.

Irisbus Rider

Yes, most of us are aware of the MkI destos, frequently encountered during "Desto Shenanegans".
Although the newer blind roll (Caps lock roll) is far from fabulous.

Bus 400

But I have found out that the MkII desto's can be over ridden, for example if you are doing a 25 to Cooleman Court, but you think that the details programmed for the 28 are better. You can enter 28 into the machine. But you have a chance to enter 25 as the number, but keep the desto for the 28.

But I wonder what do you mean by this new Caps Lock roll? The newest roll I know of is June 1994.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on May 27, 2009, 11:09:06 PM
But I have found out that the MkII desto's can be over ridden, for example if you are doing a 25 to Cooleman Court, but you think that the details programmed for the 28 are better. You can enter 28 into the machine. But you have a chance to enter 25 as the number, but keep the desto for the 28.
Yes, as can be done with the 100.3s. This has been known and used by drivers for many years now.

The Caps lock destos are the newest blind destos, newer than the 1994 roll. These are found on buses such as 758, 844, 850, and many others.

Sir Pompously

Yes we are aware of the flexibility of the Alcatel destination equipment, and the Desto blinds. I am lucky enough to have a 1994 roll, and the newer ones would be a 2003/4 roll. The new rolls I find are harder to read than the old ones, I think it may be the Font. Also the new ones have only one of each destination, unlike the old ones which have multiples. So if you have Tuggeranong on your desto, and you need Belconnen it is a long way to scroll.

Barry Drive

Quote from: TP 3000 on May 27, 2009, 10:54:44 PM
If you anyone gets a chance, check out the destos on the MkI's. They are the best desto that ACTION has had. For example one desto states "Spence McKellar Belconnen", now that is the current 12 to a T.
You have clearly never seen the earlier versions of the destination rolls if you think that roll is "the best".

The first version was used when the O305s were delivered in 1981 - the idea was that every route would have a unique destination, but drivers did not use it correctly, instead choosing to use the generic destination. I sent ACTION a letter with a suggested roll for their next version (including re-ordering the roll to encourage proper usage), but not much was improved.

After a while, they gave up and went back to the old way that all you need to do is show the final destination. Since the route structure is so different from when the roll was developed many of the available signs aren't any use anyway.

And "Spence McKellar BELCONNEN" does NOT suit route 12. (Inbound routes should only show the interchange destination.) It was designed for loop route 404 (which changed to 401) which travelled from Belconnen to Melba, Spence, Evatt, McKellar and back to Belconnen.

Bus 400

I have seen the desto for the Redex 1 & 2 services (the code is.....333), it is silly as it doesn't scroll through Redex 1/2, limited stops, final destination for the every destination. So it for the city, that is all it shows (no number either), I know that for Gungahlin, it scrolls through. It was funny as I was "playing" with the desto trying to see what numbers it had & after 319, it went straight to 333.

But another good electronic desto is 81, it goes through each bus stop including CSIRO.

Buzz Killington

ACTION apparently think that the 81/981 is the only route tourists catch.

Bus 400

The Nightrider destos lack detail, with all just having the number & Nightrider.

A few Belconnen weekends services are mucked up. With 902 showing "Weston Creek" "Spence Terminus" "McKellar Evatt" on the internal panel, but it is correct on the outside.

But after viewing every single desto on the Scania/MAN digital desto's. Most are all right, but the 312-319 destos should include something like "via Intertown" & a few southside destos should include a bit more detail.

Snorzac

ALL weekday destos need more detail on them. Weekend ones are okay. Some could be improved, the 900 for example

Bus 400

The 21/22 destos are weird. There is one for "Southlands", one for "Woden" & another for "Southlands Woden"

Buzz Killington

The weekend destos are pretty great really, with a few exceptions.

I havent had a good look at them, but when i was out on monday for the public holiday, i spotted a few Irises that had five or so scrolls on the desto.

Snorzac

Yeah the problem is with that is that there are too many scrolls. If ACTION kept the top line static with the final destination and scrolled the bottom line that would be alright but the way it is now is just stupid.

Bus 400

I have seen a list with what every single desto is. But it was a tad old & didn't list the Redex services.

A few of the non numbered destos are:

-Canberra Airport
-Brand Depot
-Fairbairn Park
-Queanbeyan
-Thoroughbred Park
-National Museum
-Floriade

Snorzac

Pretty sure that everyone knows that. There is also:
-NRL Footbal
-Canberra Stadium
-AFL Football
-Manuka Oval

lukeo25

i've noticed the 21/22 one many times

Irisbus Rider

Also, a few other oddities;
"West"
"Workshops"
"Tugger Nth"
"Tugger Sth".

Buzz Killington

pretty sure there's a code in there for "WOW!" as well

Bus 400

But the "000 Emergency Call Police" desto is no longer there.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 12, 2009, 07:38:46 PM
But the "000 Emergency Call Police" desto is no longer there.
Last I heard, it was "Cemetary Call Police".

Buzz, if there's a code for Wow! I'll definately find it :P

Bus 400

I mean that before all a driver had to do was to put 000 for the numbers & that would come up. But when I put 000 up, it makes the machine go to idle

Bus 400

I remember it being asked what the P/R & * buttons do on the Reanult MkII desto machines. Well It has to do with altering the data on the destos. I know this as I pressed them & TorrensTheodore was on the top line & viaKambahEast was on the second line. At the time 62 & 27 were programmed in. The desto thing ended up coming up with load error & froze. The bus was reset & it was all fixed up

particleman

Sorry for this bump, but could someone please tell me when/why 866's number reel was replaced? I have noticed that the numbers seem to be in a lighter face than on the other MK1s.

Snorzac

Probably because the old ones got ripped.

On the topic of the old manual destos both 861 and 862 have no auto stuff at all, you have to wind the whole thing.

Ed

QuoteI remember it being asked what the P/R & * buttons do on the Reanult MkII desto machines. Well It has to do with altering the data on the destos. I know this as I pressed them & TorrensTheodore was on the top line & viaKambahEast was on the second line.

That's why they told us during training to never press the P/R or the * buttons on the Alcatel destos.

Buzz Killington

Speaking of replaced number reels, 804's side desto is unique to any other vehicle. Check it out in the Gallery.

ACT Bus Gallery: Bus 804

Snorzac

Yeah, 866 has a front desto that looks a bit like that

Barry Drive

Bus 442 either has a new destinations file, or an old one. It was seen tonight showing "Not In Service" without the number 110.

I think it's more likely to be an old file.

Snorzac

I has the old one. Was looking at it the other day, desto read, '10 Belconnen Bus Stations'.

Barry Drive

As strange as this is to believe, the new Network changes (14.1) might bring with it the long awaited destos-that-change-mid-run. So it's possible that, for instance, route 10 will show "Majura Park" when departing City and "City" only after having travelled to the half-way point.

Although this change may only be applied to the Hanover-controlled buses.

King of Buses

Is this the automated change over thing? If so, it fails drastically. A bus arrives in the city after a 80, drops of at Plat 4, then is meant to have a meal break comes up showing the next run (40 in this case). Confusing all at Plat 5. But I don't think it will always work on routes like the 10 example if the system keeps up what it's been doing. (It changes over NXTBUS too. Ive been on a route 18 and the NXTBUS screen shows 57, due to arrive in the City in like, 230 minutes! WTF?).
If it works though.  They still have the halfway route problem called HASTUS and stop TTs. ..

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on April 26, 2015, 12:04:57 PM
But I don't think it will always work on routes like the 10 example if the system keeps up what it's been doing.
Actually, it will work if the system keeps doing what it's been doing. It is designed to change the desto to a set code at a set location. It does this fairly well.

The fact that you have only seen it when the routes change over is because, for now, that's all it's been programmed to do.

The example of the meal break sounds wrong to me - meal breaks should be displaying as Not In Service. If this is not happening, then driver should report the error. Don't blame technology for driver and/or programming errors.

The Love Guru

Going to say, I don't have these issues. Must be Tuggies drivers.