Facebook Groups

Started by Snorzac, June 08, 2009, 02:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorzac

Barry Drive

Quote from: Martin RossDrivers also need to be re-trained by management as to where they can offload passengers in Belconnen. On weekends a 900 will pull into a platform where a 904 (for instance) is about to come get ppl, then someone has flagged down the 904 when the driver has seen them. But 900 pulls up to the 904 platform, offloads, 904 drives right past possibly thinking noone is there. Now someone rings ACTION and asks them to do something about it, they say they "can't because the bus has now gone" but they could have sent a van to get those who got there BEFORE the bus did. This is starting to become a bit more frequent as the weeks go by, no matter which route it is.
Maybe the passengers need training as to be best place to transfer from the 900 (or 300) onto feeder services. I am fed up with passengers running along Lathlain St trying to catch a bus after they got off the intertown service (or vice versa). GET OFF IN COHEN ST!

Bus 400

Quote from: Martin on June 08, 2009, 03:14:10 PM
I am fed up with passengers running along Lathlain St trying to catch a bus after they got off the intertown service (or vice versa). GET OFF IN COHEN ST!

But that requires thought & those that run for their connection at Lathlain Street don't know what thinking is. I am quite sure one day you'll be in a situation where you are coming in on a 312 to Spence. A passenger will ask you "When do you get to Lathlain Street" You'll answer 13:57. They'll tell you that they are after the 16 to Kippax. You will mention to them that it might be better for them to catch the 16 at Cohen Street Bus Station. They will get off at Cohen Street Bus Station, but run to catch the bus on Lathlain Street. They then miss the bus & within 5 minutes are calling ACTION bitching about you giving them the wrong information & blah blah blah.

Bus 400

Gah tell me about it!
I get on at the Lyons bus stop and have to wait for 4 or 5 buses to go past me because they are too full before one stops! Its so unreliable!!

Now as far as I am aware, only the 24/28 will get you from Lyons Shops to Woden (with 23 if you are desperate). So having to wait for 3 or 4 buses  would mean that you have to wait 30-60 minutes for a bus. When in that time, I could of walked to Lyons Shops & be taking pictures of buses exiting Cohen Street Bus Station.

Busnerd

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 08, 2009, 08:11:36 PM
Now as far as I am aware, only the 24/28 will get you from Lyons Shops to Woden (with 23 if you are desperate). So having to wait for 3 or 4 buses  would mean that you have to wait 30-60 minutes for a bus. When in that time, I could of walked to Lyons Shops & be taking pictures of buses exiting Cohen Street Bus Station.

What I believe Mr B Carr is saying is, he walks to the intertown stop outside Lyons and has to wait for like 5 buses to go past before one that isn't full stops. Which is a real problem in morning peak. And don't go saying 'just walk to woden' people should be able to use their local stop without buses being too full.

Bus 400

Well there are International Groups with a similar idea that I have been shown:

Stuff Bus Passengers Do - That Pisses Bus Drivers Off! (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=23181211047)
Bus Drivers Against Stupid Passengers.... (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2232587992)

Bus 400

Please don't go starting another ACT Forum v Facebook Group war again, I've already been in a similar battle with RiotACT & I ended up swapping to the Facebook Group side.

belcodriver

Quote from: TP 3000 on June 10, 2009, 10:43:24 PM
Please don't go starting another ACT Forum v Facebook Group war again, I've already been in a similar battle with RiotACT & I ended up swapping to the Facebook Group side.

If it means we'd be rid of your delusional ranting I think it's an excellent idea.

belcodriver

This bit from "Bus Drivers Against Stupid Passengers" is gold:

Old bloke stood a the front of a very long que waiting to get on the bus I was taking over, as I started to go past him to get on the bus he shouts"I was first" and starts to give me a ear full about how there is a que, so I let him finish his rant then say unless your going to drive it mate I suggest you let me get on first, at which point everyone in the que starts to piss themselves he turns red and walks off, well funny.

Irisbus Rider

I hate to say it, but most Canberrans are like that, have no idea, but still vent their opinions, regardless if they've been asked for it or not.

Although, some of the 'mindless' complaints are valid, particularly regarding the Intertowns in peak hour.

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

and the group now has 500 members
Quote from: IdiotHi everybody!
Well, we did it. We got to 500 members. That's fantastic, but we need more.
I think we should aim to become something more than a Facebook group, but that's over time. For the moment, let's see if we can build up our membership even higher - more than a thousand? If you haven't already, please invite all your Canberra-based friends to join, even if they have a car. After all, a good public transport system is good for everybody. If more people are on buses, there's less traffic!
I keep meaning to mention it, but I keep forgetting. I got a response to my letter from Jon Stanhope, the Minister for Transport. I will post a copy of the letter on the page for people to read. Basically, he fobbed me off.
So thanks everybody for your support, and let's keep this group growing!

Cam

Bus 400

I keep meaning to mention it, but I keep forgetting. I got a response to my letter from Jon Stanhope, the Minister for Transport. I will post a copy of the letter on the page for people to read. Basically, he fobbed me off.

I never knew Jon Stanhope was that clever. But I've read the letter/reply that was sent to Jon Stanhope (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=102998716096&topic=9176). The reply is just public service talk (answering the question without saying too much).

But I've noticed this interesting point

*Cam has written to four of the five Members for Brindabella to ask them what they are doing to improve ACTION services. There is no point in writing to John Hargreaves - he never responds.
*Joy Burch MLA has forwarded Cam's letter on to the Transport Minister, Jon Stanhope. He will inform the group when there is a response. Watch this space.

Or what about a post today
I just realised that Bus 80, does not go past Northborne Avenue anymore. So you either have someone to take you to Fyshwick or you have to catch 2 buses, if you live in Dickson. That is my only issue with the bus change, so I figured just stop applying for jobs in Fyshwick. Unless it is DFO or Brand Depot.

It has taken this person almost 14 months to realize this.

Barry Drive

We've been found out.

Quote from: Cam RhodesAnd also,
It has come to my attention that there are forum posts on another website by certain people which have been attacking this group.
That's fine. Everybody's entitled to their opinion.
Some of these posts have been quite nasty and offensive, however.
I'd just like to stress, especially to ACTION drivers and employees, that no personal offense is meant by this group. We do not blame drivers for the problems with the system.

Quote from: Cam RhodesThere is no need for disrespect. Disagreement and debate is always welcome. Some people have complained that posts were deleted. Posts are only deleted when they are offensive or disrespectful.
Labelling us as "idiots who have no clue" is not going to help anybody. Reasonable, intelligent debate is one thing, but name-calling is another.
Everybody please keep your tone civil and respectful. There is no reason why this group and ACTION need to be adversarial.

Buzz Killington

A reminder to all that it is possible to respond to posts on that group without resorting to insults and namecalling.

ACTIONonACTION

As the operator of the Facebook group concerned, I feel obliged to defend the group and its members.

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on June 12, 2009, 07:17:29 PM
I hate to say it, but most Canberrans are like that, have no idea, but still vent their opinions, regardless if they've been asked for it or not.

Although, some of the 'mindless' complaints are valid, particularly regarding the Intertowns in peak hour.

It's not unique to Canberrans to seek ways of expressing their frustrations. Regardless of how many people may be ecstatic with Canberra's public transport, a great number of people have problems with it and the group is about expressing those problems and ultimately lobbying for change.
Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 16, 2009, 08:30:14 PM
RiotACT have stumbled across the group..

http://the-riotact.com/?p=12918

I have to admit, I didn't know RiotAct had found us. I wish I'd found out about that ten months ago. However, the group is wrongly described as a  "hate group"; I would describe it more as a group of concerned citizens wanting change in government policy.

Quote from: MyWay on May 20, 2010, 04:26:12 PM
We've been found out.

Busted!
But seriously, you're absolutely entitled to express your opinions. Hell, come over to the group and express them (in fact I know you do). Just keep your tone respectful and understand that we feel our complaints are legitimate and reasonable. If you disagree, we welcome the debate. As long as everybody accepts that we're all friends.

I was about to respond to an attack on myself (in which I was labelled an 'idiot' and I think a 'dickhead'), but I am pleased to find that in the last few minutes it seems these posts have been deleted. I'm grateful to the moderators here for doing that, and I'm glad they agree that there is no justification for personal attacks.

To ACTION employees, especially drivers, who may post here I'd like to repeat my assertion that this group is not personal. The group understands that drivers are doing their job and that it is not their fault if there are problems with the network. Yes, from time to time drivers behave poorly and unprofessionally but so does everybody, and drivers do have a hard and sometimes stressful job.
Our goal is for the ACT government to treat public transport as a vital public service and to greatly increase its funding. We believe a strong, efficient and affordable bus service is in Canberra's best interest. We will keep advocating this. We welcome debate and we welcome suggestions.

But please, keep it professional. Personal attacks will get nobody anywhere.

My best.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ACTIONonACTION on May 20, 2010, 06:46:43 PM
As the operator of the Facebook group concerned, I feel obliged to defend the group and its members.

And thankyou for doing so. We are, after all two groups who clearly have an interest in ACTION and the way that it operates. Whilst your group is skewed towards improving ACTION we are more directed towards enthusiasts who share a common interest and gather to discuss it. Unfortunately at times people can get a bit passionate in debate.

QuoteIt's not unique to Canberrans to seek ways of expressing their frustrations. Regardless of how many people may be ecstatic with Canberra's public transport, a great number of people have problems with it and the group is about expressing those problems and ultimately lobbying for change.

Having a whinge is part of being a Canberran. I wouldn't say the members here are 'ecstatic' about the public transport in Canberra and we often discuss the problems here.

Busted!
But seriously, you're absolutely entitled to express your opinions. Hell, come over to the group and express them (in fact I know you do). Just keep your tone respectful and understand that we feel our complaints are legitimate and reasonable. If you disagree, we welcome the debate. As long as everybody accepts that we're all friends.

Agreed.

QuoteI was about to respond to an attack on myself (in which I was labelled an 'idiot' and I think a 'dickhead'), but I am pleased to find that in the last few minutes it seems these posts have been deleted. I'm grateful to the moderators here for doing that, and I'm glad they agree that there is no justification for personal attacks.

Certainly not. Admittedly things can be overlooked from time to time, but as soon as I was alerted to the fact that people were unhappy that they had been ridiculed and insulted the posts were removed.

QuoteTo ACTION employees, especially drivers, who may post here I'd like to repeat my assertion that this group is not personal. The group understands that drivers are doing their job and that it is not their fault if there are problems with the network. Yes, from time to time drivers behave poorly and unprofessionally but so does everybody, and drivers do have a hard and sometimes stressful job.

Thanks for clarifying the intentions of your group.

Agreed.

Barry Drive

Interesting. The wall post which claimed that 4 buses failed to stop has been removed. Did the original poster realise she was in the wrong and was waiting at a bus stop at which route 39 does not stop, or did someone else deem it too 'offensive'?

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTIONonACTION on May 20, 2010, 06:46:43 PM

Perhaps then you should try NOT accusing members of being hostile when they are simply responding to comments made by others and trying to put ACTION's fare into some perspective by comparing them to other operators. I am still puzzled by how you interpret this as "hostile indignance", unless it's because I had the temerity to disagree with you!

The Love Guru

Quote from: MyWay on June 09, 2010, 03:20:06 PM
Perhaps then you should try NOT accusing members of being hostile when they are simply responding to comments made by others and trying to put ACTION's fare into some perspective by comparing them to other operators. I am still puzzled by how you interpret this as "hostile indignance", unless it's because I had the temerity to disagree with you!

They just don't seem to realise that fare increases are not within ACTIONs control!

ACTIONonACTION

Quote from: Chris_Guru on June 09, 2010, 08:27:42 PM
They just don't seem to realise that fare increases are not within ACTIONs control!

The group is about lobbying the ACT Government for change on ACTION's funding and management.

Barry Drive

The email with the comment finally turned up:

Quote from: Cam Rhodes (ACTIONonACTION)OK, Martin. We should all walk to the shops. This includes the elderly, people with disabilities and of course we should all walk when it's pelting down with rain. My local shops are about 2km away and I'm able bodied. What advice to you have to those people who cannot walk far? Golf carts?

I don't understand your hostility, I genuinely don't. We want a bus service that is more effective, more affordable and more usable. Everybody should be able to get behind that idea. I genuinely don't understand why you react with hostile indignance whenever anybody makes any kind of suggestion, complaint or criticism.

To put it in context, this was in response to a comment (from Cam) about how it will cost $4 to catch a bus to the local shops. I said something about faresaver or weekly/monthly tickets being cheaper (as I always do) and then concluded with "or you could try walking to the local shops" (or something similar). This was after I had pointed out that Adelaide's Zone fare (which is the most comparable to ACTION's single trip) is already $4.40, so ACTION will not be the most expensive Public Bus operator in Australia.

Maybe I've missed something, but I don't see any "hostile indignance" anywhere in my reply.

And yes, I know: build a bridge.

Quote from: ACTIONonACTION on June 09, 2010, 08:54:07 PM
The group is about lobbying the ACT Government for change on ACTION's funding and management.
No, it's not. Your idea of the Facebook group may be that, but for others it's somewhere to air their complaints, valid or otherwise.