Bus Stop Trivial Pursuit

Started by smitho, June 28, 2009, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

Questions:

1. Which southside bunker style shelter bus stop(s) regularly serviced by ACTION receives the least number of scheduled ACTION bus services over the course of a week?

2. Which northside NON - bunker style shelter bus stop(s) regularly serviced by ACTION receives the least number of scheduled ACTION bus services over the course of a week?

3. Raised platform style bus stops: What is the most southerly raised platform style bus stop used by ACTION buses?

smitho

No correct answers to any of the three questions so far - in fact, no answers at all! Come on you slackers!!

Here is another question to get you salivating:-

Which bunker bus stop is served by more ACTION buses over the course of a week - the Southlands stops on Athllon Drive or the Civic West stops on Marcus Clarke St near the Barry Drive intersection?

lukeo25

QuoteWhich bunker bus stop is served by more ACTION buses over the course of a week - the Southlands stops on Athllon Drive or the Civic West stops on Marcus Clarke St near the Barry Drive intersection?
Marcus Clarke St

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: smitho on June 28, 2009, 06:57:09 PM
Questions:

1. Which southside bunker style shelter bus stop(s) regularly serviced by ACTION receives the least number of scheduled ACTION bus services over the course of a week?
Not including school services, I'd have to say Wisdom St, Hughes, in front of that old folks home. A 77 twice a day.

As for Q2, would have to be Burkitt St on Page, serviced by 4 73s a day.

lukeo25

Quote from: Lemonbus Rider on June 29, 2009, 05:50:17 PM
Not including school services, I'd have to say Wisdom St, Hughes, in front of that old folks home. A 77 twice a day.

that stop also served by the 720 in the morning and the stop opposite is served by the 76 and 720 in the evening

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: lukeo25 on June 29, 2009, 08:52:13 PM
that stop also served by the 720 in the morning and the stop opposite is served by the 76 and 720 in the evening
Right you are about the 720.

But, IIRC, the stop across the road from the bunker is a glass shelter.

As for that last question, I wouldn't know that, but I would hazard a guess of Banks?

smitho

Quote from: smitho on June 28, 2009, 06:57:09 PM
Questions:

2. Which northside NON - bunker style shelter bus stop(s) regularly serviced by ACTION receives the least number of scheduled ACTION bus services over the course of a week?

3. Raised platform style bus stops: What is the most southerly raised platform style bus stop used by ACTION buses?

Clarification: "Scheduled" means timetabled services and so excludes School Buses and Chartered / Special Bus services. (School buses only have a scheduled departure time at the origin and a scheduled arrival time at the final destination).

Hint regarding Question 3: This stop is used by ACTION charter services as well as by various other regional bus operators and most passengers are students; however it is not served by any ACTION school runs.

lukeo25

Q3. maybe Tharwa or Williamsdale

Buzz Killington

Cotter or Tidbinbilla would be my guess for #3

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 30, 2009, 05:15:40 PM
Cotter or Tidbinbilla would be my guess for #3

You're in the right part of the world, but the answer I had in mind is Birrigai; there is a purpose built bus platform there.

From memory, Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve's bus dropping off place is alongside a paved footpath. In any case, I think I'm right in saying Birrigai is a little further south than the Tidbinbilla Reserve's Visitors' Centre.

Another more southerly destination for ACTION charters is Caloola, south of Namadgi, but as I recall, it doesn't have a bus platform. We only go there very occasionally - it's a VERY rough track out there!

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: smitho on June 30, 2009, 07:17:16 PM
You're in the right part of the world, but the answer I had in mind is Birrigai; there is a purpose built bus platform there.

From memory, Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve's bus dropping off place is alongside a paved footpath. In any case, I think I'm right in saying Birrigai is a little further south than the Tidbinbilla Reserve's Visitors' Centre.

Another more southerly destination for ACTION charters is Caloola, south of Namadgi, but as I recall, it doesn't have a bus platform. We only go there very occasionally - it's a VERY rough track out there!
Now that would be a trip worth travelling on! Make a great "Where Is It" too :P

Barry Drive

Quote from: smitho on June 29, 2009, 01:38:12 PM
Which bunker bus stop is served by more ACTION buses over the course of a week - the Southlands stops on Athllon Drive or the Civic West stops on Marcus Clarke St near the Barry Drive intersection?
I would say Athllon Drive. It gets all Intertowns as well as route 11 and other Tuggeranong-bound services.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on June 30, 2009, 07:17:16 PM

Was that platform built post 2003? When i went there in 1996 it was the one time in my K-6 Years that my primary school hired ACTION (usually it was Deanes, or worse, Keirs) and I don't recall there being an actual platform.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 01, 2009, 06:04:21 PM
Was that platform built post 2003? When i went there in 1996 it was the one time in my K-6 Years that my primary school hired ACTION (usually it was Deanes, or worse, Keirs) and I don't recall there being an actual platform.
Yes, I'd say it was built as part of the new work done after the 2003 firestorm; it looks quite new.

The first time I took a bus out there, I didn't know the platform existed. I just dropped the kids on the grass next to the loop road. You actually have to go round the loop counter-clockwise in order to use the platform....must have been designed by a Yank!

smitho

Quote from: Lemonbus Rider on June 30, 2009, 10:07:52 PM
Now that would be a trip worth travelling on! Make a great "Where Is It" too :P

Yep Lemonbus, a good 'where is it' location! If only I had my camera...

I'd say Caloola is the biggest adventure destination I've done for ACTION Charter - especially as it is so remote and mountainous, the scenery stunning and I was the only bus to go out there. I'm glad it was NOT raining that day! I think I took my (then) shift bus, 808, 'The Elvis Bus'. It took much of my split break to get there and back.

Warambui, north-east of Murrumbateman is another nice bush destination for ACTION Charter.

smitho

Answers to questions:

You were pretty close, Lemonbus. Good try, but I'll keep the gold watch.

But the bunker stops at Brindabella Gardens and outside the Hotel Statesman on Theodore St, Curtin are only served by the 3 times per weekday Route 76 service (= 15 buses per week).  The St Andrews bunker stop in Groom St gets the two No 77s each weekday plus four 720 Xpressos, as Lukeo points out (= 30 buses per week).

The answer I had in mind is the stops within the University of Canberra; just served by the Route 934 and 980 weekend buses - about 55 services a week.
But Lemonbus has come up with Burkitt St in Page, serviced by 4 73s a day, = 20 services a week. You get the gold watch this time plus TP's cigars, Lemonbus! Good one.

Answer: Birrigai.

4. Which bunker bus stop is served by more ACTION buses over the course of a week - the Southlands stops on Athllon Drive or the Civic West stops on Marcus Clarke St near the Barry Drive intersection?

Answer: Martin says Athllon Drive. It gets all Intertowns as well as route 11 and other Tuggeranong-bound services. You'd have to be right on that one. Two gold watches coming your way.

Irisbus Rider

Ah, yes, of course! Didn't even think of those stops!

Thanks for putting those questions together, interesting to test the knowledge of self badged 'ACTION Experts'.....

Bus 400

But I did want to keep my cigar's. I found out that the Marcus Clarke Bus Stop is serviced by 13 services. But not sure on Athllon Drive.