Bus route trivia #1 (and possibly the only one)

Started by Barry Drive, July 27, 2009, 01:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

In Where Is It #56, Chris_Guru said this about Lithgow St Fyshwick:

Quote from: Chris_Guru on July 24, 2009, 09:24:19 AM
it has a 7 day a week service, however the section of the street serviced during the week is different to that serviced on the weekend, however this does not miss any bus stops and is the only location i can think of in Canberra that has this occur.

However, I can think of one other street in Canberra which also meets those criteria (other than Newman-Morris Cirt in Oxley). Anyone care to guess which it is? There are no tricks to this - no thinking outside the square is needed.

Bus 400

Katherine Avenue AMAROO isn't the answer is it?

The 59 goes from Horse Park Drive to Burdekin Avenue, while the 958 only goes from Horse Park Drive to Shoalhaven Avenue.

Someone may of given it away ::), but I researched it.

Barry Drive

To clarify the rules - the street in question is serviced 7 days a week; all stops are serviced; but a part of the street is travelled along during weekdays that is not travelled along during weekends - or vice versa.

Those that meet this criteria (so far) are:
- Lithgow St, Fyshwick
- Katherine Ave, Amaroo
- Newman-Morris Cirt, Oxley

There is one more (at least).

Barry Drive

Quote from: TP 3000 on July 27, 2009, 01:39:51 PM
Katherine Avenue AMAROO isn't the answer is it?
Katherine Avenue does meet the criteria, but it wasn't the one I was thinking of. There are others. But you need to guess the one I was thinking of.

Buzz Killington

Newcastle St in Fyshwick is one too I believe - i think its the 980 that goes out onto Canberra Avenue and then to DFO via Tom Price St, whereas the weekday route does a loop down Iron Knob St (at least according to the map)

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 27, 2009, 04:34:36 PM
Newcastle St in Fyshwick is one too I believe - i think its the 980 that goes out onto Canberra Avenue and then to DFO via Tom Price St, whereas the weekday route does a loop down Iron Knob St (at least according to the map)
No ....the 80 and 980 are both supposed to run Left into Canberra Ave, Left Tom Price, then 1st roundabout Left Iron Knob to DFO bus stop. But to pick up time, some drivers might do a Left turn off Newcastle directly into Iron Knob and then use the roundabout to draw up on to the correct side at DFO.

Buzz Killington

heh, "iron knob"

no wonder that sign keeps getting nicked..

Barry Drive

If it helps, the street I am after is south of Lake Burley Griffin / Molonglo River and AFAIK is the only one that matches these criteria on the southside. (Although I could be mistaken.)

lukeo25

Bus 400

Fincham Crescent WANNIASSA

The 61/161 turns off Fincham Crescent at Forlonge Crescent
The 961 continues along Fincham Crescent right until the end (Sternberg Crescent intersection). According to the map there are no extra stops in this bit of Fincham Crescent.

Barry Drive

Not Lambrigg St as one stop is missed weekend vs weekday (Farrer Terminus). The street I was thinking of was indeed Fincham Cres in Wanniassa.