People walking infront of buses!

Started by Sir Pompously, July 27, 2009, 10:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

I have noticed this more and more or late, passengers alighting from a bus and then walking infront of it to cross the road. ACTION Have had for years programs, in schools, to teach kids from Primary to High School that walking infront of the bus is dangerous, but where has this gone? Eventually another person will be killed by their own stupidity which will involve signs being placed at bus stops advising against it. It is like the Signal Bus situation, it has to be signed for people to take notice and even then they do not. Missing your bus by not signalling is one thing, although you do learn for next time and end up not getting killed out of it. Walking infront of a bus and getting hit, possibly killed, will certainly teach them a lesson but it is all too late then isn't it?

So far I have seen a few incidents in one week. One was where a woman actually stood inbetween the lanes of the Bus Stop and Roadway to cross infront of the bus. Another was tonight, where a girl got off and ran infront of the bus causing the driver to slam on the breaks (Night time in Wanniassa, low light and she runs infront). I Don't know where commmon sense is in these people!

I Say bring back the Bus Safe Rap, I am sure I have the record somewhere in my cupboard, along with the rulers :P

Thoughts, stories? Whatever you like, just wanted to get all that off my chest.

Bus 400

City Interchange is the worst, people seem oblivious to a bus heading towards them. They notice when the horn is blown. But I was told that the City Interchange use to be a shared zone.

But a week or so ago I saw these twat children walking along the road that runs along the old Woden Police Station on the Woden Interchange side. It was early peak hour & the driver told the one that got on the bus off, but he just shrugged it off. I did suggest the driver should of just closed the doors & left without him, but he wanted to tell the child off.

But then again you should see Lathlain Street Bus Station, people will just get off the bus & walk in front of it to go to the shops/catch their connecting bus.

Although as some guys would remember those few times a few years back when a few people were hit by a bus as they walked/ran in front of them. Well for at least 2 of them, it was the same driver. Now it was by no means his fault, he was just unlucky.

It may be slightly different, but I love the ads that TransPerth use when altering people that take shortcuts of railway lines to not miss their train. It is some holographic picture & the view of an oncoming train looks different from each angle. Maybe ACTION could use this type of advertising in Interchanges/bus stations. It doesn't stop all idiots in Perth, but appears effective for 3/4 of future offenders.

Barry Drive

It is usually the same people who stand forward of the yellow line when the bus is coming to a stop that will walk in front of the bus.

Mostly it is adults who do this, rather than children. Often they are migrants (have I crossed the line?).

Irisbus Rider

Not yet, just keep it to 'migrants'.

Yeah, I do see this a bit, but there's only one way to learn your mistakes I suppose, I just feel sorry for the driver and passengers on the bus that would have to endure such an event.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Martin on July 28, 2009, 01:30:55 PM
It is usually the same people who stand forward of the yellow line when the bus is coming to a stop that will walk in front of the bus.

Mostly it is adults who do this, rather than children. Often they are migrants (have I crossed the line?).

Indeed, I will agree with you. Adults are the biggest problem, however I see it as a) Where did common sense go? and b) where did all that education that kept them safe as youngsters go?

I have rarely seen a Teenager (Or really any child, as they are normally cautious) run infront of a bus these days. I am sure many drivers have seen it happen, though.

As for Migrants, well I can tend to agree with you. Back in their Home Country, they probably did not get the same education as alot of us did with regards to Safety. However, one local having a go at them or them getting hit will certainly be a life changing lesson for them.

And Migrants is fine, however picking out a certain race is not

smitho

I agree with Martin's observations.

I had a passenger the other day who was running late for the bus. I delayed the departure so she could catch it. I was doing her a favor, but on alighting in London Circuit she promptly walked in front of the bus, delaying all my passengers a second time. I thought that behaviour was all pretty selfish.

Ed

Quotea) Where did common sense go
Not surprisingly, common sense isn't common, never was.

QuoteI just feel sorry for the driver and passengers on the bus that would have to endure such an event.
Don't feel sorry for me because I don't feel sorry for these stupid bastards. If they are going to do these stupid things, then they deserve what is coming to them. These stupid antics are not only limited to the dumb pedestrians, but stupid motorists as well (IMO, I reckon they are worse).

QuoteWalking infront of a bus and getting hit, possibly killed, will certainly teach them a lesson but it is all too late then isn't it?
I agree with Todd, this is the most effective method of education. A few deaths like this per year then I bet your bottom dollar that these stupid antics you see on the road will decrease (note that I said DECREASE).

Education programs can only go so far, but then again, have you ever tried to teach the sheep and cattle in the paddock the letters of the alphabet? It's a bit hard isn't it?

Well here's my rant for the night. I know that some people may find these statements uncomfortable and harsh. But the fact of the matter is, if you die as a result of your own stupidity, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Bus 400

I don't know if these count but anyway.

On Monday afternoon on Northbourne Avenue, there is this young female standing in the middle of Lane 3 waiting for cars in Lanes 2 & 1 to stop for her, she nearly gets hit.

On Tuesday there were the "problem passengers" on the median strip of Northbourne Avenue trying to flag down a bus doing 60 (or so) k's with cars doing the same in all 3 lanes.

I witnessed a chalker last week. Last Wednesday, on a 785 going around London Cct past Comm Bank stop, a large group of school kids all just run out in front of the cars, one ********* drivers didn't consider stopping for these kids, while everyone else did.

Busnerd

Why should you stop for them, they won't learn til they lose a leg! Idiots. Just wait, what is so important that you need to risk your life to get across the road ten seconds earlier?