June 13, 2021, 11:58:22 PM

General Discussion 2011-2015

Started by Barry Drive, December 31, 2010, 10:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bus 400

That would mean 703's life has come to an end.

That building is the new ESA training centre, with the one at Belconnen closing down. An open day is coming up shortly, where the public can come & check out the new place.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Metrobus on October 12, 2011, 08:43:00 PM
There was a Mk I with white rear panelling at the building on the non-AMC side of the Southcare base.
Quote from: Sir Pompously on October 13, 2011, 06:40:12 AM
There are two MkI's at the Emergency Services building near Southcare.

I also saw an all white MkI near the Gull at Hume, had School bus stickers on the back and what looked to be NSW Rego. Could be an ex-Fearnes vehicle heading elsewhere.

Try to remember to use the Renault Withdrawals thread for this guys: http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=2562.new#new

Snorzac

Did anyone see the new roads ACT ad on just before the rugby?

Buzz Killington

The one they've been playing for a few weeks, with reminders of various road rules hovering in big letters above the road?

Snorzac

It was about giving way to buses, first time I've seen it. It features an MAN.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bus 400

Since us ACTION enthusiasts have spotted the toys in the destination boxes & on top on Tuggeranong buses. Well another hidden toy is a yellow M&M thing on the front of the driver MyWay console of Bus 362.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Love Guru

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 27, 2011, 05:52:33 PM
Since us ACTION enthusiasts have spotted the toys in the destination boxes & on top on Tuggeranong buses. Well another hidden toy is a yellow M&M thing on the front of the driver MyWay console of Bus 362.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't get out much do you Julian?

Bus 400


belcodriver

Anyone watch Housos on SBS last night? Pretty sure there was a PR 2 in it.

Bus 400

I did, with Dazza & Shazza being the typical brogan passenger. Including taking over 20 minutes to work out the bus wasn't going anywhere. That bus driver had great responses as well.

The bus featured was one owned by thebuscompany.com.au. Which if my brain is correct was a company owned. Y Hawkesfords who has gone under.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buzz Killington

For those not on Twitter, there was a suspected new AOA on 956 but turns out it was just a full-side ad.

Buzz Killington

Bus 119 has an ad covering the entire rear of the bus, didn't see what it was for.


Buzz Killington


Barry Drive


Snorzac

TAMs has tweeted that the Adelaide Ave T2 will be returned to it's original bus lane form.

smitho

723 still carrying white bandage panel on trailer, right hand side, following damage caused by a brush with a log bollard in Kingston several months ago.

Bus 400

December 07, 2011, 07:52:13 PM #117 Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:52:44 PM by Bus 400
The DA for Jacka Stage 1 has been released, sadly Jacka 1 won't ever be serviced by a bus route. Hopefully this means Stage 2 is ready for buses by Network 2013. Any the maps & details can be found at http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/topics/your_say/comment/pubnote?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZhcHBzLmFjdHBsYS5hY3QuZ292LmF1JTJGcHVibm90ZSUyRnB1Ym5vdGVEZXRhaWxfbmV3LmFzcCUzRkRBX25vJTNEMjAxMTIwODY4JmFsbD0x

Estate Plan- http://203.9.249.2/e-registers/pubnote/pdf/ESTATEDEVPLAN-201120868-01.pdf
Road Characteristics- http://203.9.249.2/e-registers/pubnote/pdf/ROADDETAILS-201120868-Characteristics_Table-01.pdf

smitho

Minor changes to ACTION drivers uniform arising from recent internal review have been advised to staff. Suspect public won't notice any differences.

Kramden

Quote from: smitho on December 08, 2011, 10:08:17 PM
Minor changes to ACTION drivers uniform arising from recent internal review have been advised to staff. Suspect public won't notice any differences.

Changes?  I was given one of the newer caps soon after joining.  It has the logo in white instead of traditional blue and it's the current logo.  My shirts however, still bear the old logo which I imagine dates back to the '70s. 

smitho

Quote from: Kramden on December 08, 2011, 11:33:02 PM
Changes?  I was given one of the newer caps soon after joining.  It has the logo in white instead of traditional blue and it's the current logo.  My shirts however, still bear the old logo which I imagine dates back to the '70s.

Note that in the latest InterACTION magazine (December edition), they say our uniforms will sport both the ACT Government logo AND the ACTION logo in line with current policy.

I haven't seen any of the new drivers wearing caps like the one you were issued, Kramden.

Yes, the old logo dates back to the mid 1970s. It was first used when the new orange/blue livery combination was adopted, from memory, in 1975. AS I recall from a conversation I had with a retired ACTION executive, the network logo was applied to buses some months before the titled, ACTION, was introduced.

Re the blue shirts, I think they were introduced around the mid 80s. Prior to that, they were an orangey-fawn color. One or two of the senior Tuggy drivers occasionally wear one of the old style shirts.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on December 09, 2011, 11:00:17 PMAS I recall from a conversation I had with a retired ACTION executive, the network logo was applied to buses some months before the titled, ACTION, was introduced.

Correct.

Irisbus Rider

As reported on Twitter by 'ACTbusspotter':
Quote from: ACTbusspotterSubway side ad as seen on 423, 418, 391, and others?
twitpic.com/7smwvv
They have finally applied ads (other than rear ads) to the MAN's. It makes fiscal sense, and, from a gunzels point of view, it gives certain buses a 'uniqueness' (just like my beloved 878 and it's FFFM, back in the day). I'm looking forward to seeing more ads on MANs in the future.

Buzz Killington

About bloody time!

Saw a hideous Bags to Go ad that almost covered the entire right hand side of a Renault. New full-rear ad for Acer tabs doing the .3 rounds too.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: smitho

Yes, the old logo dates back to the mid 1970s. It was first used when the new orange/blue livery combination was adopted, from memory, in 1975. AS I recall from a conversation I had with a retired ACTION executive, the network logo was applied to buses some months before the titled, ACTION, was introduced.

Re the blue shirts, I think they were introduced around the mid 80s. Prior to that, they were an orangey-fawn color. One or two of the senior Tuggy drivers occasionally wear one of the old style shirts.
The ACTION logo with ACTION typeface was introduced in 1977, I believe the wheel logo used with that was introduced certainly around 1975. I have only know ACTION staff to be dressed as they are now, blue shirts, pants (And shorts) and the odd akubra. It will be sad to see the uniform I have known since I started catching buses in year 1 to be gone, but I am betting the new one will be about the same as the old just with the two new logos you have described.

Kramden

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on December 13, 2011, 05:30:25 PM
As reported on Twitter by 'ACTbusspotter':They have finally applied ads (other than rear ads) to the MAN's. It makes fiscal sense, and, from a gunzels point of view, it gives certain buses a 'uniqueness' (just like my beloved 878 and it's FFFM, back in the day). I'm looking forward to seeing more ads on MANs in the future.

Yes it probably is about time IR.  Perhaps the ads might cover up some of the scrapes and markings that go with ageing.  Of course not all the MAN's are marked but some are certainly showing signs of wear and tear.  At least when I had my first scrape (reversing) in the shed I had the good luck to do it in a MK 1. 

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on December 13, 2011, 05:30:25 PMI'm looking forward to seeing more ads on MANs in the future.
The future has arrived. There are already two more side ads in circulation, this time for local businesses.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Kramden on December 14, 2011, 04:15:44 AM
Yes it probably is about time IR.  Perhaps the ads might cover up some of the scrapes and markings that go with ageing
It seems as though many of these MAN's are 'ageing' prematurely. Perhaps, the very strong emphasis on customer service in the selection criteria and the training needs to be redirected to operating a heavy vehicle........? Nah, silly me, customer service is far more important then ensuring the safety of ACTION patrons, and more valuble then every cent spent on repairs to damaged buses.

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on December 14, 2011, 05:35:18 PM
The future has arrived
Why did I think of an ad for a new car when I read that? Seriously though, good to hear Martin.

Kramden

December 16, 2011, 07:23:48 PM #128 Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:37:56 PM by Kramden
Quote from: Irisbus Rider on December 15, 2011, 10:06:09 PM
Perhaps, the very strong emphasis on customer service in the selection criteria and the training needs to be redirected to operating a heavy vehicle........?

As much as I'm a fan of customer service you make an excellent point here.  A suggestion.  I'd like to see a new module included in the driver training.  I'd call it shed manoeuvres.  Take one of the retired buses from the scrap line and let the trainees go nuts.  Have them drive around the yard, reversing back and forth, getting in close to objects, etc.  Wouldn't matter if the bus got banged up...as long as they don't hit another bus.  But seriously, I think if new drivers where given the chance to bang their bus into some of the shed supports then there might be less scrapes on the newer buses.  Believe me, once you've hit a support, felt the jolt, heard the noise and got an indignant scowl from the old pros looking on...well, you'd never do it again.

Irisbus Rider

December 17, 2011, 04:31:42 PM #129 Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:33:35 PM by Irisbus Rider
Quote from: Kramden on December 16, 2011, 07:23:48 PMBelieve me, once you've hit a support, felt the jolt, heard the noise and got an indignant scowl from the old pros looking on...well, you'd never do it again.
Heh, I do agree with you, the best way to learn is through experience - your suggestion adresses the issue very well. It is all good and well for new recruits to come from the transport industry (cabbies), but negotiating a Tarago does not compare to a 12.5m x 2.5m bus.

Ideally, in a perfect world, all recuits would master the art of both driving, and customer service, but when both can't be achieved, you pick one quality which should hold a higher importance than the other, and IMHO, I believe the wrong quality has been chosen. Then again, this is very typical of a Government organisation, and represents another advantage of privitisation: the return of common sense.

Kramden

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on December 17, 2011, 04:31:42 PM
Heh, I do agree with you, the best way to learn is through experience - your suggestion adresses the issue very well. It is all good and well for new recruits to come from the transport industry (cabbies), but negotiating a Tarago does not compare to a 12.5m x 2.5m bus.

Ideally, in a perfect world, all recuits would master the art of both driving, and customer service, but when both can't be achieved, you pick one quality which should hold a higher importance than the other, and IMHO, I believe the wrong quality has been chosen. Then again, this is very typical of a Government organisation, and represents another advantage of privitisation: the return of common sense.

Hey, just had a random thought. They could always bang up the under-performing Irisbuses....LOL!

Bus 400

After looking through my photos, I ask the below question:

What happened to Bus 319 that made it get a different window front (similar/same as Bus 351) & a new bike rack?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Does not appear to be a new bike rack on 319, but white windscreen uprights have gone and headlight surround on driver's side is all green. Suggests some frontal damage has been repaired. Don't know when.

Bus 400

In older photos, Bus 319 has a black rack.

Bus 400

ACT Police are after witnesses to an aggravated assault at the Belconnen Community Bus Station on Wednesday 25 January at 15:15.

Suspect of Anoriginal/Torres Strait Islander appearance, 152cm, long hair wearing a pink fluro hat.
Call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 if you know anything.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on January 27, 2012, 09:21:52 PM
In older photos, Bus 319 has a black rack.
Still does. Like all Irisbuses, it first had a DL2 which was replaced with a VeloPorter2 (black/plastic). Unlike some (such as 302), it still has a VeloPorter.

Bus 400

Is anyone able to tell me how the Route 23 is being affected by the Eggleston Crescent closure?

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on February 01, 2012, 06:09:55 PM
Is anyone able to tell me how the Route 23 is being affected by the Eggleston Crescent closure?
Not 100% sure, but probably Launceston (L) Hindmarsh (R) Melrose (R) Eggleston (L) Macfarland.

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on January 27, 2012, 02:17:24 PM
Does not appear to be a new bike rack on 319, but white windscreen uprights have gone and headlight surround on driver's side is all green. Suggests some frontal damage has been repaired. Don't know when.
Possibly just a windscreen replacement. The new headlight surround might be unrelated.

Bidgee

February 02, 2012, 12:07:51 PM #138 Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:34:23 PM by Bidgee
Quote from: Buzz Killington on November 02, 2011, 07:40:40 PM
Bus 119 has an ad covering the entire rear of the bus, didn't see what it was for.
Been awhile since I've been in Canberra but spotted the advert. Not a fan of it blocking most of the rear window.
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu105/Busabout/BUS122.jpg

I say BUS 377 had a windscreen replacement, as it was missing the numbers on the front.
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu105/Busabout/BUS377.jpg

Merv319

Quote from: Bidgee on February 02, 2012, 12:07:51 PM
I say BUS 377 had a windscreen replacement, as it was missing the numbers on the front.

Bus 377 had an accident last year (I think it was in November) so that's when it was replaced.

Bus 400

I don't think that is the case, as I swear Bus 377 was only missing one set of front fleet numbers a few weeks ago.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snorzac

It has for a while...I believe 'Merv319' was on 377 when said accident occured.

Bus 400

But in that incident, glass on the left hand side fell into the 'No standing area.' Surely the front windscreen wouldn't smash on one side only? Merv319's reply is #523 in the Minor Maintenance Thread.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on February 02, 2012, 10:11:04 PM
I don't think that is the case, as I swear Bus 377 was only missing one set of front fleet numbers a few weeks ago.
No it wasn't: both numbers have been missing since November. You might be thinking of 434 and/or 431.

Merv319

February 04, 2012, 12:00:53 AM #144 Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:09:51 AM by Merv319
Quote from: Bus 400 on February 02, 2012, 11:48:19 PM
But in that incident, glass on the left hand side fell into the 'No standing area.' Surely the front windscreen wouldn't smash on one side only? Merv319's reply is #523 in the Minor Maintenance Thread.

...And here, my bad English is making another trouble again! :-\
I meant that the left side of the window screen was smashed and the glass fell into "NO STANDING AREA".
Although I still think I'm not explaining in proper English, I'm 100% sure of what happened, as I was on 377 then.

Barry Drive

Bus 139 has been fitted with a new ISRI seat - the same model as fitted to the MAN 18.320s. In a Dart! They've just doubled its value.

Snorzac

February 06, 2012, 10:00:53 PM #146 Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:01:40 PM by Metrobus
They couldn't fit that to 387 or anything...
(387 has the old style ISRI Air ride seat)

Bus 400

For those who don't follow the ACTION Twitter Feed, Belconnen Depot is having resurfacing works done at the moment. This meant today that every bus left from the gate at the Josephson Street end of Platform 1 of Cohen Street Bus Station. Created a bit of fun during afternoon peak with a whole heap of buses lined up in the depot waiting for the lights to change. I also wonder where bus laying over parked as I saw Bus 462 come out of Belconnen Depot 3/4 times in 20-25 minutes I was waiting for my bus.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smitho

During last week I had a day where I scored (by chance) National seats in both my artic and standard buses...can't recall the numbers though.

Bus 400

In case no one else has noticed, the City Transport Officer's Field Van has been painted in the ACTION Livery recently. It now matches the 2 Hyundai iMax's* at Belconnen Depot.



*Another "In Case No One Else Noticed", there are 2 Hyundai iMax's at Belconnen Depot in ACTION Livery. One has a set of flashing lights on the roof, the other one doesn't (at last spotting).