Uploading images?

Started by Stan butler, June 23, 2019, 08:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan butler

Quick question - how do I upload a photo into a message ie photo of the month? I have the image option on the ribbon, but it only asks for the image URL- not giving me the ability to upload.

Any pointers?

Busfanatic101

There used to be the option to add an attachment (which I can no longer see). The best way is to upload it to another site like Flickr, Google Drive/Photos, Dropbox, facebook, etc and link the image from there. There are also other free image hosting sites around.
Alternatively if you email Barry Drive he can probably do it for you (but of course best if you can do it yourself)

Sylvan Loves Buses

Attachments would expire after a certain amount of time too.

I use imgur which is a handy image creating site, of which you can upload your files from your computer, or anything you have in your clipboard. You then take the 'Direct Link' and paste it like I've done so here

Stan butler

Oh well -  I don't use Facebook and nor am I interested in getting any type of account at any hosting site.  I try and limit my digital footprint as much as I can.

So be it I guess.

Sylvan Loves Buses

There is another alternative. There's an app which you can download onto your computer, or browser (if you prefer) called Lightshot. There's no account login necessary, and will instantly create screenshots for you to either copy to your clipbaord or request the screenshot link almost immediately after taking. Unfortunately on this forum format, it won't support the image, but if you paste the link in the same way as I showed before but with 'url' between the brackets instead of img, it'll open it onto a new tab - however you will need to email Barry Drive for requested gallery images if you do it this way.

Example vvv
http://prntscr.com/o66du8

Busnerd

If I recall correctly, we no longer support hosting photos on the forum due to bandwidth and storage limitations, as we pay for this forum and website out of our own pockets we only have as much storage/bandwidth as we need, allowing anyone to upload large volumes of photos would greatly reduce our storage and could require us to purchase extra storage.

Stan butler

Quote from: Busnerd on June 25, 2019, 11:56:44 AMIf I recall correctly, we no longer support hosting photos on the forum due to bandwidth and storage limitations, as we pay for this forum and website out of our own pockets we only have as much storage/bandwidth as we need, allowing anyone to upload large volumes of photos would greatly reduce our storage and could require us to purchase extra storage.

Curious. Where is the forum hosted?  I host my sites in the US (even with .AU domains) and most accounts come with unlimited storage (with very generous fair use policies) and bandwidth there is dramatically cheaper compared to hosting in Australia.

If it has been a while since you've looked, them I recommend checking some of the major US based hosting places as bandwidth and storage is super cheap now compared to a few years back.

One other option, in the config for either this forum software or for your hosting account, check to see if you can limit upload size - ie activate user uploads but limit what they can upload by size and frequency. 

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Stan butler on June 24, 2019, 10:05:36 PMOh well -  I don't use Facebook and nor am I interested in getting any type of account at any hosting site.  I try and limit my digital footprint as much as I can.

So be it I guess.

Quote from: Barry Drive on June 20, 2019, 09:46:07 AM
Photos can be submitted four ways: (1) by posting to this forum topic (2) by posting on ACT Bus Facebook page (and mentioning POTM) (3) by tweeting to @actbus or @actbusspotter (4) by contacting ACT Bus (submit a "contact us" form, send a message to our Facebook page or send me a Private Message) - and we'll send you an email address.

The attachment feature was seldom used anyway but the bandwidth limit outages occurred a number of times a year. I don't see why someone should have to pay more for it regardless of how much it costs when there are free workarounds and alternatives.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Stan butler on June 25, 2019, 08:34:41 PMCurious. Where is the forum hosted?  I host my sites in the US (even with .AU domains) and most accounts come with unlimited storage (with very generous fair use policies) and bandwidth there is dramatically cheaper compared to hosting in Australia.

If it has been a while since you've looked, them I recommend checking some of the major US based hosting places as bandwidth and storage is super cheap now compared to a few years back.

One other option, in the config for either this forum software or for your hosting account, check to see if you can limit upload size - ie activate user uploads but limit what they can upload by size and frequency. 

The site was started back when the admin team had a lot more spare time than we do now. When time permits we will look at moving to a hosting plan with more storage but for now we're working with what we have.

Uploads can be defined via the forum software but the decision was made to not offer attachments as they were seldom used, free online options exist, and the space can be better used for our Gallery.

You're welcome to flick your photos to website (at) actbus (dot) net.