Recent posts

Canberra Metro / Re: Five New Trams
Last post by Bus 400 - Yesterday at 07:20:30 AM
It's something I've been on the look out for. Especially with the new NSW Trainlink trains being built & shipped from the factory. I'm not sure how many vehicles on rails a ship can transport.

Stage 2A light rail is wire free though & is due in a couple of years. 
Canberra Metro / Five New Trams
Last post by triumph - Yesterday at 12:10:17 AM
About August 2022 5 new LRVs equipped for partial wire free operation were ordered from CAF in Spain. The intent is to bolster the fleet for the opening of Stage 2A to Commonwealth Park and provide substitutes to enable existing LRVs to be progressively removed from service for retrofitting of partial wire free operating equipment. It is not clear to me whether the energy storage will be by supercapacitors (a la Newcastle) or batteries or a combination thereof. When these initial RVs were obtained it was said they were equipped for, not with, future wire free use needs. 

Little seems to have ben said on progress, but the whisper is that all are constructed, with one shipped and the rest in factory testing prior to shipment.
Fleet / Re: Renaults a go go: the fina...
Last post by triumph - May 24, 2024, 11:26:48 PM
Quote from: L94UBbusfan on May 24, 2024, 06:50:14 PM.......
 Definitely before the end of the year. Time will tell

Well before the election at the very latest I reckon.
General Discussion / Re: MyWay+ implementation
Last post by Buzz Killington - May 24, 2024, 08:16:47 PM
Quote from: Bus 400 on May 22, 2024, 06:55:22 PMI'm curious, will a Renault or 2 get MyWay+ upgrade.

Does in-vehicle driver training involve use of the MyWay console?

Could be an option, assuming they retain one or two Renaults as dedicated training buses in some capacity - though I think they wouldn't want the optics of an "orange bus" getting around town once they're all withdrawn from revenue service.
The Playground / Re: What PT did you get today?...
Last post by L94UBbusfan - May 24, 2024, 06:53:02 PM
Wednesday (22/5/24)
599 (23)
339 (26)

Yesterday (23/5/24)
664 (30)

Today
957 (25)
Last post by L94UBbusfan - May 24, 2024, 06:50:14 PM
It may but a bit early for speculation, but not too early. The Elements would at least replace 4 Renaults, I doubt they would retire a lesser amount than new buses in service considering they are trying to get rid of them ASAP. They have been able to retire some L94s without any drama (so far) so what would an extra 2 or 3 Renaults being retired do?

The number of Yutong's delivered within the near future is almost certain to be 4, since there are 4 MyWay+ trial buses expected, all of which should be Yutongs. Charging is an issue, but I don't see why some buses could be charged while others are on duties, and then once the original buses run out of charge, the charged buses will then operate (unless it's super inconvenient). No matter what, we could still probably replace all Renaults with the Elements and Scania's due soon and whatever new Yutong's we currently have before Term 3 begins. Definitely before the end of the year. Time will tell
Last post by Barry Drive - May 24, 2024, 10:51:28 AM
Quote from: L94UBbusfan on May 22, 2024, 08:33:11 PM... then there is a high chance the Renaults last day in service will be July 5th, the last day of Term 2.  :'( 
Way too early to speculate, but a few things to note:

• in 2024 there have been 3 new Scania buses (at Belconnen Depot) for 5 Renault withdrawals - so there's no guarantee that the 4 Custom Denning Elements will result in 4 withdrawals, and it's even less likely that they will result in more than 4.

• the number of new Yutongs is also uncertain; while 3 are definite, the 4th was speculation.

• again, the 3-4 new Yutongs may not result in any further withdrawals at Tuggeranong for a variety of reasons, including the logistical difficulties of charging 15 or 16 electric buses when there are only 12 outlets that can be used concurrently.
Last post by triumph - May 23, 2024, 11:25:01 PM
Quote from: triumph on May 23, 2024, 09:20:07 PM....
A perusal of the on-line TT shows that South of the Lake there are now only 16 single runs across 10 routes left as non-disability services. On any given day this is probably less as other buses substitute for Renaults.

Adding North of the Lake and incl Rte 47 as predominantly N of the Molonglo, the numbers are:
63 single trips across 21 routes.

Notably route 46 has no less than 7 single trips, closely followed by routes 45 and 51 with 5 each.

I haven't attempted to graph the trips to see what the greatest number of simultaneous trips are and to compare that with available Renaults. But at an average of nearly 8 single trips per Renault still in service, it is reasonably clear that a good many of the trips are not operated by Renaults in any single day. 

It seems logical that the last runs will be North side with Belconnen Depot Renault(s). But which ones?

Last post by triumph - May 23, 2024, 09:20:07 PM
Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 23, 2024, 01:34:14 PMSame, I've been so busy with uni these last few weeks I've had to miss quite a few - including 963 the other day pulling into city west, nice to see a Dinosaur bus again.
I haven't looked recently, but I'd still imagine that 72 in the morning connecting with a 71 Iris is still doable, but getting up first thing these last few mornings has been tough with the cold.

As of today, according to the on-line TT, the early morning 72 from Woden is still a non-disability service.

A perusal of the on-line TT shows that South of the Lake there are now only 16 single runs across 10 routes left as non-disability services. On any given day this is probably less as other buses substitute for Renaults.

Today I happened to be in Woden again. So checked on the after lunch routes 64 and 65. Renault 982 again operated route 64. But route 65, operated yesterday by electric Yutong 810, was operated today by Renault 980.

The Playground / Re: What PT did you get today?...
Last post by triumph - May 23, 2024, 07:07:11 PM
982 (64)
980 (65)