Mawson (Southlands) Park n Bike n Ride

Started by smitho, May 13, 2009, 09:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

An ACTPLA Notice of Development Application sign appeared near the Southlands service station several weeks ago; it refers to a Park and Ride facility to be built over the other side of the floodway behind the service station/western shops - not far from the southbound Athllon Drive stop at Mawson.

Yet the recent ACT Budget provides $s for a feasibility study into a possible Park and Ride facility at this site.....by the sounds of it, things are moving ahead anyway.

Irisbus Rider

Seeems like a good idea, but aren't the Intertowns already crowdeed enough from Woden to the City?
No point in providing a flash new parking facility when there is no extra capacity on the bus network it is feeding into.

Busnerd

Hang on, your saying theyre crowded from woden, yet this carpark is before you get to woden..where's the problem?

Afterall...intertowns should be every ten minutes from tuggeranong...

Irisbus Rider

Because it's going to add to the amount of crowding after Woden, duh! It doesn't take a genius to figure that out......

Yes, Intertowns should be every 10 minutes between the hours of 10am and 2pm, and 6pm and 7pm.....

Busnerd

So how is it a bad thing for residents of mawson?

They still get on their bus...everyone wins

Irisbus Rider

They will get on a bus, but because of this increased patronage, residents in Woden and Curtin will no be able to fit on, or if they will, they will be crammed on to a bus that only has a limited standing room. Not exactly a case of everyone winning.

Bus 400

But then those from Woden Valley North will end up driving to Southlands. It is annoying as ACTPLA are having problems with commenting on DA's. So I am unable to view this plan.

smitho

I'd like to see a Park and Ride facility provided near the Phillip Pool northbound intertown stop on Melrose Drive; I think it'd be a winner.

Curtin residents complain that the local number 2 route is just so indirect and tedious for trips to Civic (compared with the old 32, 30 and 31 routes that used to service Curtin), that walking or driving to the Phillip Pool stop and catching an Intertown is a far quicker option. Unfortunately parking is very limited at present in the vicinity of the northbound stop. 

Busnerd

Only problem I would see with that would be that a lot of intertowns fill up at Woden. I've seen on many occasions, usually around 8am that buses are too full to pick up at that stop and just fly past the waiting commuters.

However I think ACTION need to look at putting in more park n' ride facilities along all their xpresso routes.

I might have a think and post an idea a bit later to better explain my idea.

Busnerd

Here's My Ideas For New Park & Ride Locations.

This includes current locations.

Vehicles parked in Park & Ride are exempt from purchasing parking tickets and can park in the zoned spaces all day between 5.30am and 7pm. 

Gungahlin Marketplace - For Route 757
Jamison Centre - For Route 704
Belconnen Town Centre (Lathlain St) - For Routes 300, 705, 710, 749
Cooleman Court - For Route 729
Lanyon Marketplace - For Routes 785, 787, 788

That's just a couple of examples, as a lot of those are already in place.

But basically, just provide some parking spaces so that people are encouraged to drive to their local shopping centre like Kambah, Erindale, Lanyon, Cooleman, Weston, Gungahlin etc. and then get an Xpresso or intertown into work.

As im sure not many people use the service now!

Irisbus Rider

The 704 doesn't service Jamison, but anyway, I think they do need more Park and Ride, it's the only way the bus service in Canberra can work efficiently.

Bus 400

Work started on clearing the site this week.

Bus 400

A facility has been added to this carpark. It is now a Park N Ride & a Bike N Ride.

smitho

Work on Car Park extension commenced this week; fenced off yesterday, trees cleared today. Portion of existing car park is fenced off (bit adjoining the construction site).

The Love Guru

Work on the EPIC park'n'ride appears to be under way as well.

smitho

Work on the soiuthern extension seems to be proceding at a much faster rate than on the original parking lot; surprisingly, a new slip road appears to be part of the extension project, providing direct access from the car park to southbound Athllon Drive....bet the Roasds gurus will be tempted to lower the 80 km/h speed limit in the vicinity to 60 km/h. Is the access lane warranted?

Buzz Killington

I think so. I'd go so far as to suggest that Mawson Place should be extended to provide a slip lane out to Athllon to ease a bit of the pressure that tends to build around the Southlands centre.

Bus 400

One of those new lockable bike sheds is currently going up near the other bike lockers.

smitho

Yes, I think you're right.

I was sort of hoping it'd be a staff facilities room but with current network, that'd be pointless. (But Mawson would be an ideal terminus for at least some southbound intertowns which otherwise might travel virtually empty to Tuggeranong).

Bus 400

Quote from: smitho on November 05, 2011, 10:22:19 PM
But Mawson would be an ideal terminus for at least some southbound intertowns which otherwise might travel virtually empty to Tuggeranong).

Especially once Woden reopens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bus 400

Within the last week or so, the park & ride extension was opened. I wonder how long until it is extended again?

smitho

It'd be nice if they could allow a quality coffee cart service to operate out of the 'cage' during morning peak periods, combined with a small daily newspaper outlet and maybe a MyWay card machine....same goes for Lyons bike cage.

Buzz Killington

Perhaps a qualified masseuse as well, so that the commuters can have a footrub? :P

smitho

Yes indeed, that could come with the Stage 2 extension.....a mezanine may be, with a massage studio, hot springs spa and a lookout to keep a check on bus movements, appropriately kitted out with CCTV of course.

Bus 400

The original part of Mawson Park & Ride & the Mitchell Park & Ride will require users to hold a permit from 2nd July.
According to the Park & Ride website, other changes are also expected (http://www.transport.act.gov.au/park_and_ride.html).

Next stage will be to install MyWay Pay Parking machines at every Park & Ride in Canberra.

Busfanatic101

bike lockers have recently been removed, so there is now only the bike cage there. Hopefully, they've moved the lockers somewhere else where they are needed (such as erindale center), it never made any sense having both a bike cage and bicycle lockers when noone used the lockers and the cage was never full

Buzz Killington

I think you'll find the lockers pre-dated the cage.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Buzz Killington on October 16, 2014, 08:19:22 PM
I think you'll find the lockers pre-dated the cage.

From memory, they were in excellent cond. Painted glossy navy, no dents... Way nicer then the ones at civic

Busfanatic101

Noticed yesterday that a bus cut-out has been placed on the roof of the bike cage beside that of the bike. I don't know how long its been there, but I don't recall seeing that previously

Went up on 14 October as part of Ride to Work Day. Saw an article about it somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk