Recent posts

The Playground / Re: What PT did you get today?...
Last post by Sylvan Loves Buses - January 12, 2024, 08:07:13 AM
Now that you mention it I think the entry of that road was closed off. I was pretty confused cuz the driver of 809 did a U-ey at the round-about after he told me that thing about the costco congestion. I too was wondering about that detour cuz even to me it seemed like it had been quite some time since that was a thing. The lack of effort TC puts into their alerts page is rather pathetic at times I must say, especially when they don't include a map - especially annoying like in this instance when they don't bother with an estimated finish date and/or an update.

It's hard to say now what happened, especially as I don't really know the area that well, but my best guess is that this is the route the 316 driver took. I do remember passing the petrol stations backside and then taking a left onto Catalina Drive.

[Edit: Just looked on google maps, that line is too close to the shops in that carpark area, it was definetely the entry before that]
Last post by 743 - January 11, 2024, 01:24:39 PM
Sylvan, if you don't mind me asking - the route the Irisbus took was Majura Rd (depart IKEA), right at roundabout in to Mustang Ave, and right at first roundabout in to Catalina Dr? Per the maps that Triumph refers to?

The last time I was there, the northern end of Catalina Dr looked to have been permanently closed off - that exit from the roundabout had been concreted in (gutter and all, which is why I thought it was permanent). I suspected that was the reason for the "diversion", there was no longer a right turn from Mustang to Catalina.

So it sounds like it's been opened up again?
Last post by triumph - January 11, 2024, 10:20:04 AM
Looking in the TC website the route 54 map and Inner North area map both show the route unchanged.
The diversion was notified way back in 2022 effective July 28th 'due to roadworks in the area'. No mention of traffic congestion as such.
The 'roadworks' labelling is often misused in the ACT where, in reality, the only works are on adjacent building sites. A 18 month long diversion is therefore quite reasonable in respect of building works timescales.
If, as Sylvan suggests, the route is diverted permanently(?) due to normal traffic congestion, then TC needs to update both Alerts and mapping in its web site. Not surprising, as TC seems to routinely not update causal changes relating to alerts, and rarely announces termination of alerted longer period arrangements. They also fail to reflect diversions in the Next Bus information, including onboard displays despite a 'bus on diversion' being available in the onboard display. Not a problem for regular savvy customers, but isn't the main point of customer information to assist irregular, non-savvy, and visitors to ACT users!

Last post by Sylvan Loves Buses - January 11, 2024, 06:26:26 AM
He went the way that the route use to go. I was told they made that detour cuz the costco petrol station gets busy and buses were getting stuck. Didn't have that problem thankfully, but even if we did I would'nt have cared too greatly as I was just enjoying the fact that we got an Irisbus.
Last post by triumph - January 10, 2024, 11:20:47 PM
418 (R3)
494 (R9)
730 (30)
722 (31)
483 (R2)
389 (R3)
Last post by triumph - January 10, 2024, 08:38:33 AM
Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on January 09, 2024, 08:27:51 PMQuite an eventful outing to IKEA with my mum today.
316 (54W) via Catalina Drive, driver didn't get the memo I guess
''''

Just to clarify, you meant the bus did not divert back to Spitfire Ave at the roundabout after the Ikea stop, but proceeded via Mustang Ave to Catalina Dr, the non-diverted route? (Either route uses Catalina Dr from Beaufighter St to Spitfire Ave..)
Rte 54 is one of the more interesting rides, as is Rte 55 into the depths of Duntroon.
Last post by Sylvan Loves Buses - January 09, 2024, 08:27:51 PM
Quite an eventful outing to IKEA with my mum today.

636 (71N)
664 (58N)
636 (58N)
809 (54E)
316 (54W) via Catalina Drive, driver didn't get the memo I guess
513 (180S)
493 (71N)
General Discussion / Re: 2024 - public transport de...
Last post by Barry Drive - January 08, 2024, 09:35:19 AM
There's no information either way, but it's part of Stage 2A announcements, so more likely only expanding the depot to accommodate 5 more trams.

Refer to this media release

QuoteThe light rail depot at Mitchell will also be expanded for the ongoing maintenance of the larger fleet of LRVs.

The depot work is expected to be completed in mid 2024 – ahead of the new vehicles progressively arriving soon after.

UPDATE: list modified to add new Scania tow truck expected this year.
General Discussion / Re: 2024 - public transport de...
Last post by Northside - January 07, 2024, 02:19:41 PM
Do we know if the Mitchell depot expansion will provide capacity for LR stage 2B not just 2A?
Last post by triumph - January 04, 2024, 07:07:22 PM
Back to mundane. Non enthusiast travel except for swapping from R3 to R4 enroute.
455 (R3)
707 (R4)
001 (R1)
005 (R1)
470 (R5)
808 (58)
430 (58)
679 (R3)
381 (R3)