General Discussion 2011-2015

Started by Barry Drive, December 31, 2010, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Couple of competitions have popped up on ACTION's site:

Imagine the future drawing contest (same as 'Dream Bus' from last year) http://www.action.act.gov.au/news/news_articles/imagine_the_future_drawing_competition

Balloons from a Bus (take a photo of a hot air balloon from the bus) http://www.action.act.gov.au/news/news_articles/balloons_from_a_bus_photo_contest

smitho

There are also ACTION postcards being distributed through on-board pamphlet boxes on buses -  promoting 2013 Poetry in ACTION...

Bus 400

I am hoping to construct a destination box for my Renault destination roll & my AEC supplementary roll. What I am wondering is the dimensions of these in those buses.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 18, 2013, 07:29:16 PM
Possibly not the perfect topic for this, but I've noticed lately that the shoddy videos have been replaced on the in-bus monitors with much clearer (Powerpoint?) slides advertising various things for ACTION - Twitter, Xpresso, Capitals sponsorship..
Yes. Update loaded when fares changed. There was still one bus which didn't have the updated file, but that may have been fixed by now.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on March 18, 2013, 07:52:15 PM
Yes. Update loaded when fares changed. There was still one bus which didn't have the updated file, but that may have been fixed by now.

Mm, saw one the other day. Possibly 445.

Buzz Killington

An accident closed the Monaro Hwy at the Lanyon Dr Intersection (southbound) in the arvo peak today. Spotted the 769 heading south on a very congested Erindale Drive a little after 6

Bus 400

Buses 140 & 142 have been spotted with all new seat coverings as can be seen in the photo below

Bus 141 hasn't be spotted with a new interior yet.

Buzz Killington

Bus vs car this morning at Kingsford Smith Dr/Clarey Cr Spence.

Bus 400

Quote from: Buzz Killington on April 02, 2013, 07:30:11 PM
Bus vs car this morning at Kingsford Smith Dr/Clarey Cr Spence.

At a bus stop according to the ESA Incidents Map & a little misallocated. Call made at 07:43, fire brigade left at 09:05. While it is an assumption, bloody buses stopping at bus stops.

Bus 400

AdShel are currently running a national campaign for ANZAC Day. This means selected shelters are to be wrapped in a "Lest We Forget" advertisement. So far I've only seen the two big shelters on London Circuit dolled up, but there are pictures on Twitter of a tram shelter in Melbourne.

400:D

Bus 400

As some may be aware, Routes 7,100 & 934 had been diverted for installation of a speed hump outside Old Canberra House. Well this work was completed & the road was reopened this month. However one of the old shelters was removed during the bus stop works. The attached photo of that shelter some time in the last year.

Bus 400

Quote from: Bus 400 on February 18, 2013, 11:06:52 PM
I hope someone can help me out here, but my understanding of the following development application (http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/topics/your_say/comment/pubnote?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZhcHBzLmFjdHBsYS5hY3QuZ292LmF1JTJGcHVibm90ZSUyRnB1Ym5vdGVEZXRhaWxfbmV3LmFzcCUzRkRBX25vJTNEMjAxMzIzMDM0JmFsbD0x) is that someone wishes to construct a bus depot within the suburb of Beard. If so the question would be who? While haven't seen the block in question to determine its size, could this mean CDC is moving Deanes to Beard or is that mob at the back of the railway station being kicked out or something else?

A development application has been released, it is for Bensley's Transport (currently jammed in a place near Queanbeyan East Public School). The DA can be found at http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/topics/your_say/comment/pubnote?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZhcHBzLmFjdHBsYS5hY3QuZ292LmF1JTJGcHVibm90ZSUyRnB1Ym5vdGVEZXRhaWxfbmV3LmFzcCUzRkRBX25vJTNEMjAxMzIzNTc2JmFsbD0x

Buzz Killington

Noticed the other day that someone's had some fun with the Mack badge on 921 - the K is gone and the letters rearranged to CAM

ajw373

Obviously someone in the workshop with too much time on their hands. Hardly presents a very professional image does it?

Same too with the puerile names given to the buses too, though do understand that one of those names (the first IIRC) was done in honour of a driver, but the rest common, It may well give us something to write about and a laugh but not very professional.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ajw373 on May 21, 2013, 07:32:15 PM
Obviously someone in the workshop with too much time on their hands. Hardly presents a very professional image does it?

Same too with the puerile names given to the buses too, though do understand that one of those names (the first IIRC) was done in honour of a driver, but the rest common, It may well give us something to write about and a laugh but not very professional.

Mmm, bit of a time waster I think. You'd only really notice the badge on 921 if you were up close, as its behind the bike rack.

Not sure if 319 / "Big Merv" was the first one to be named,  but it is the only one to be sign-written (in the current fleet at least). Quite a nice touch and would be nice to see other long-serving staff commemorated in such a fashion.

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 21, 2013, 08:02:15 PM
Not sure if 319 / "Big Merv" was the first one to be named,  but it is the only one to be sign-written (in the current fleet at least). Quite a nice touch and would be nice to see other long-serving staff commemorated in such a fashion.

That is the right way to do it, unlike the rest.

Buzz Killington

Barry Drive

"CAM" has been that way for a few months, at least. Also keep an eye out for a B depot "MAM".

This is nothing new - the Volvo B58s used to suffer from this a lot.

Snorzac

I think there is also a 'MAW' and a 'NAN' at Belconnen

smitho

Seen several very old Hills Buses around Canberra this week....on loan to Deanes?

Sir Pompously

Saw a new priority seat sticker on BUS-390 today. Features on of the ACTION family characters with a speech bubble proclaiming the seat is for use by Elderly, disabled etc. Don't mind the look of it (good to see ACTION specific stickers back), however the text is a little hard to read. A more simple typeface (like helvetica) would be great, currently it is in a funky style that suits it but just makes it more difficult to read!

Bus 400

Quote from: Sir Pompously on July 25, 2013, 09:05:31 PM
Saw a new priority seat sticker on BUS-390 today. Features on of the ACTION family characters with a speech bubble proclaiming the seat is for use by Elderly, disabled etc.

Was this the you saw ?

(Someone else posted this on Twitter).

Barry Drive

Just checked the Floriade website: a shuttle service will operate again this year. No info yet on who will operate or what type of bus will be used, but would expect it to be the same as last year.

CNG

I was interested do standards still operate on weekends?

The Love Guru

Not normally CNG but it does happen from time to time at B Depot due to a shortage of low floor buses available.

smitho

Tuggeranong Depot now has formal bus allocation arrangements in place for all bus types in the afternoons and evenings as well as in the mornings. This is in preparation for NXTBUS.

Bus 400

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 14, 2013, 12:31:53 PM
Just checked the Floriade website: a shuttle service will operate again this year. No info yet on who will operate or what type of bus will be used, but would expect it to be the same as last year.

Going by the Canberra Centre website, it will be the same bus (http://www.canberracentre.com.au/whatson/City-to-Floriade-Free-Shuttle-Service).

Barry Drive

An interesting outcome from the line marking upgrade at City Bus Station - there is a new Bus Zone on London Circuit between Verity Lane and East Row (the pre-1982 333 stop). It has been line marked and sign posted. Maybe QCity / Transborder will be moved to there.

belcodriver

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on December 09, 2013, 10:40:19 PM
An interesting outcome from the line marking upgrade at City Bus Station - there is a new Bus Zone on London Circuit between Verity Lane and East Row (the pre-1982 333 stop). It has been line marked and sign posted. Maybe QCity / Transborder will be moved to there.

It's for the Airport Express.

Barry Drive

ACTION have announced that fares will increase on Sat 4 Jan 2014.

Adult cash fare will rise to $4.50 & 8.60, concession cash fares will be $2.20 & 4.30

Bus 400

ACTION has expanded their monthly performance report. From July to December 2013, the patronage was 9,005,268. While a quick Trove search (http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/130837925?searchTerm=Action%20patronage&searchLimits=l-title=11), for roughly the same period (it ends mid December) in 1982 patronage was 9,760,600.

The new page can be found at https://www.action.act.gov.au/About_ACTION/how-were-travelling-page

Barry Drive

I would caution against making such a comparison of passenger numbers, since the 1982 network is not comparable to 2014. As mentioned elsewhere, the 1982 network was based on actual interchanging - one bus to you nearest interchange, then change buses.

The current system allows for longer travel without changing buses. (Although it also encourages transfers through the fare system).

Bottom line: you can't really make a direct comparison using passenger boarding numbers.

smitho

An orange "bike" cut-out has been installed on the roof of the Mawson Bike n Ride bike barn, the same as that installed on the new bike shed on the Cotter Rd, near Molonglo.

Barry Drive

Bike symbol thingy also at Flemington Rd (Harrison) and BCBS. Didn't see one at Melrose Dr.

Bus 400

One of my informants tells me that from Term 3, Qcity Transit (Hall/Uriarra/Majura) & Keirs (Tharwa) will be running the ACT Rural school buses.

I do know that Keirs previously held this contract.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on July 03, 2014, 10:28:17 PM
One of my informants tells me that from Term 3, Qcity Transit (Hall/Uriarra/Majura) & Keirs (Tharwa) will be running the ACT Rural school buses.

I do know that Keirs previously held this contract.
One of the rural type ACTION school runs I used to do, from Pialligo to the Federal Highway intersection via the Majura Rd, appears to have gone over to private operator, (possibly several years back).

Quote from: smitho on July 04, 2014, 09:13:22 PM
One of the rural type ACTION school runs I used to do, from Pialligo to the Federal Highway intersection via the Majura Rd, appears to have gone over to private operator, (possibly several years back).
From memory that was Route 810 - changed around the time of the 2010 review to terminate at Pialligo.

smitho

Thanks. I think that Keirs might be doing the Majura Rd run these days.

King of Buses

Two bollards (the new southbound Blue Rapid stop) on Haydon Dr/College St as well as One northbound on College St (I think its the UC one) have new bases in a similar design to the new timetables. They look alright though.

Barry Drive

Quote from: volvo on August 29, 2014, 07:55:12 PM
On a slightly different note - I was on 945 for the first time today; what's the deal with the seats? How long have they been like that?
Also, today I was on a PR100.3 (106 I think, but not 100% sure) - I'm pretty sure the side desto was from a PR100.2; can anyone confirm?
I've not seen 945, but I assume you're referring to the Holdsworth "Rainbow Pride*" fabric. What's the deal? ACTION have received funding to refurbish bus interiors. Instead of using the old frontrunner fabric, they're using the more modern Holdsworth.

* - not its real name

Also not sure what you mean by side desto on 106. With a few exceptions, the PR100.3s use STC Cannon / Alcatel displays, which are the same as on the PR100.2s. The side destos should be the same in both. (But if I see it, and take a closer look.)

The Love Guru

Only the .3As had different side destos in them. Slightly higher resolution I believe.
106 will be the same as the other. 3s and .2s

Busfanatic101

I was at the Chisholm Shops this afternoon and saw bus 909 with the desto up as 88 parked in the Coles loading dock ???. I'm assuming that it was waiting for the 88 to be due to leave, since it had left when I came back about 15mins later, but seriously, since when are buses allowed to park in loading docks!!!!!!!!??? :o

King of Buses

Quote from: ... on September 30, 2014, 08:15:42 PM
I was at the Chisholm Shops this afternoon and saw bus 909 with the desto up as 88 parked in the Coles loading dock ???. I'm assuming that it was waiting for the 88 to be due to leave, since it had left when I came back about 15mins later, but seriously, since when are buses allowed to park in loading docks!!!!!!!!??? :o

Loading dock...LOL.

In all seriousness though It takes 20 mins (apparently) for an 88 to travel from Hume to Chisholm even though its more like 5 mins. Therefore buses have to get outta the way somewhere...still can't get over the loading dock bit :P

CNG

Just a completely off the topic question I was interested if there are many shifts which have more than one bus allocated to them. For example euro 17,16,10 meal break ARTIC s/r 713?

The Love Guru

Most splits have different bus types on each side. Network 14 saw a lot of bus swapping dropped off. So generally straight shifts stay in sane bus type whilst the splits change a lot. This is only in general and bus swaps can and do occur on every type of shift

Busfanatic101

When we went along majura road about a week ago, I saw a 100.2 mkI in action colours sitting in the middle of a fenced paddock on the eastern side of the road.

Bus 400

That place is the Australian Federal Police training centre. They would be using the buses to practice response times to evacuate people from buses following mock terrorist attacks or other type of nut cases.
The ACT Fire Brigade also have 2 ex-Renaults to practice trainees on buses crashes such as bus rollovers. I've "rolled" one of the buses before & it isn't fun resting on the doors that have no air in them & hoping they hold shut.

King of Buses

A MKI PR180.2 is out behind EPIC too...visible from Flemington near the Morisett Dr Intersection as well as when one travels down the Federal Hwy.

Skitube

Correct if i'm wrong, but i believe the one at EPIC is 716