Canberra in lockdown

Started by Toyota Camry, August 13, 2021, 10:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toyota Camry

Canberra has been in lockdown since 5pm yesterday, expected to last for one week; this is due to what I believe was an incursion from Sydney caused by the construction industry.

There is expected to be many more positive cases to come; it appears unlikely that the lockdown will end next week, based on the precedent set by the lockdown of the similar sized city Newcastle in NSW, which is not expected to end for another two weeks at a minimum.

Refreshingly, it is likely that the current face mask rules will continue for long beyond the end of the lockdown, and will be in place for the foreseeable future in Canberra; this is something for which many of us can only say "about time".

Toyota Camry

I am curious if any members here have either operated or travelled on any services during lockdown; is the network operating empty buses all day every day, or are some passengers still travelling.

Stan butler

People are still travelling on the buses - obviously not as many as normal but to answer your question "yes" the buses are still operating and with some people.

Don't forget, essential workers are still required to go to work.  Some of these essential workers, e.g, nurses, cleaners, supermarket workers etc may not have a car or any form of transport, so they may still need a bus.

One other thing, buses are an essential service too.

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on August 13, 2021, 10:37:03 PMthis is due to what I believe was an incursion from Sydney caused by the construction industry.

Do you have any evidence for this or are you speculating?  I'd be very careful in saying things like this in a public and open forum - especially after the wording and warnings from the government about some information in social media.

As far as I know, there is no known link (yet) as to how the virus came to Canberra.  If you are privy to extra special information then I'm sure the local government would like you to tell them about it.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Toyota Camry on August 15, 2021, 07:47:38 PMI am curious if any members here have either operated or travelled on any services during lockdown; is the network operating empty buses all day every day, or are some passengers still travelling.

I certainly did during 2020's April lockdown at least 1-3 times a week. Albeit I was travelling before 9am to avoid everyone, getting Renault's galore and utilizing that first-hour shop thing that was on then. Back then until 9am it was nice as I was basically the only person on the 71>66>71/70 each time, but there might've been the occasional 1 or 2 others at the most. The few times I had to travel after 9am there were certainly quite a few more people about on the buses and that final 71/70 I would get was before 9, so it had the occasional couple of kids getting on from Weston for St Thomas/Taylor/Namadgi.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on August 16, 2021, 07:06:22 AMI certainly did during 2020's April lockdown at least 1-3 times a week. Albeit I was travelling before 9am to avoid everyone, getting Renault's galore and utilizing that first-hour shop thing that was on then. Back then until 9am it was nice as I was basically the only person on the 71>66>71/70 each time, but there might've been the occasional 1 or 2 others at the most. The few times I had to travel after 9am there were certainly quite a few more people about on the buses and that final 71/70 I would get was before 9, so it had the occasional couple of kids getting on from Weston for St Thomas/Taylor/Namadgi.
The lockdown during April 2020 was insignificant compared to present, and disturbingly did not even mandate masks; that was a nationwide lockdown, this is a lockdown due to a major outbreak occurring in Canberra, with 19 cases today; in relativity of our population size compared to Sydney, this is equivalent to 230 cases in Sydney. In this present time, the risk of catching COVID-19 in Canberra could be described as "extreme", there is unlikely to be any movement at all occuring now compared to April 2020, particular with the extreme risk posed by the delta strain.

It is extremely unlikely that Canberra will return to the level of restrictions of living conditions that we had last week any time in the foreseeable future; if you are desiring to travel on a Transport Canberra bus without wearing a fitted face mask, this will not likely be until 2023, long after all Renaults have been retired, as this is dependent on the development of new MRNA & Viral Vector vaccines with higher levels of transmission prevention than the present AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines in this country.

Toyota Camry

To stop the spread of the COVID-19 delta strain by bus; it is time for the government to take decisive action, and suspend the operation of all rapid bus services, including routes 59, 180, 181 & 182, as well as reducing the light rail service to only operate between City & EPIC. This is urgently necessary to discourage travel between different areas of Canberra, following our excellent Chief Minister's directive for people to stay within their local area; if there are any essential workers needing to travel they can utilise local services between town centres.

For example, an essential worker from Woden can travel to Belconnen using routes 58 & 32; it is only a slight inconvenience to them, but will help save lives in Canberra; both due to the reduced mobility between reasons, as well as the number of bus driving shifts that no longer have to be filled by unvaccinated drivers putting their lives on the line.

Snorzac

Quote from: Toyota Camry on August 17, 2021, 06:52:11 PMThis is urgently necessary to discourage travel between different areas of Canberra, following our excellent Chief Minister's directive for people to stay within their local area; 

This was not a directive, it was a recommendation and not a part of the current public health orders.

As for the rest of your post, just no. One of the stupidest ideas I have seen floating around. Let's increase peoples travel time and therefore their possible exposure time to the virus. Thats going to work so well....

The easiest solution to stopping spread on public transport is to stay home as per the Chief Health Officers public health orders, not use public transport unless you rely on it to get you to your destination for an essential purpose. If people do the right thing there is no need to implement orders to keep them in their locality. Im not saying people should have the right to run freely around the place, but I am saying that there is nothing insufficient about the current public health orders and nothing needs to change at this point in time.

triumph

It is noteworthy that so far (4.18pm today) only part of route 30 for part of one day has been listed in the ACT Health Covid contact lists.
Route 58/32 from Woden to Belconnen is a rather long trip (approximately double the travel time plus connection) compared with the direct R4. With R services passengers diverted, the example quoted is likely to be more crowded. How will longer, more crowded journeys reduce exposure risk? Granted the inconvenience may deter some who shouldn't be travelling anyway, but inconveniencing those who must and don't have the means to drive, and exposing them to increased exposure risk is, to my mind, just plain silly. 
(Like everywhere, misbehaviour in relation to Covid rules is a matter of appropriate supervision and deterrent penalties.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Toyota Camry on August 17, 2021, 06:52:11 PMan essential worker from Woden can travel to Belconnen using routes 58 & 32
58 and 32? No, those routes are hella busy. No no no no no.
If you want to properly stay away from people you need to take the 902 to your favorite KFC in Kingston, transfer to an R2 and get off outside the Police College and look suspicious as hell. Proceed to Russel by walking across Kings Ave bridge via Bowen Drive and take the next available 55 back to the city, all whilst being suspiciously stalked by police officers. Transfer onto a 50 or 51 and get off outside the National Hockey Centre and hop on an R9, only to get off again on Watkin Street to get a 901, and hopefully by then you haven't been arrested and get to work only 4 hours late...

Quote from: Toyota Camry on August 16, 2021, 08:31:17 PMif you are desiring to travel on... all Renaults... without wearing a fitted face mask

My mask is only a slight annoyance when it comes to my disabilities, but I have Renault's passing my house at 7, 8, 11am and 6pm every weekday. If I really wanted to (and I do but I can't), I could hop on one of these every day for 2-3 stops and scoot back WITH MY MASK ON and call it my 'essential 1-hour daily exercise'. I might do it once or twice this month for toilet paper, but everyday would be stupid and my mum would disown me.

Also, please stop quoting my whole texts when my message is the directly above text to your post, it's really annoying to have to read the whole thing again when only a selection (like what I've done) is necessary, there's even a button for it.

Toyota Camry

There are now major service disruptions to Transport Canberra services due to driver shortages today; this is due to staff isolating, some of whom may test positive. It appears there will soon only be two options; that is to implement the above proposal to cease operating rapid services, or to run a Saturday and/or Sunday timetable every day of the week, as is being implemented progressively in Greater Sydney as bus operators lose staff.

If there are high enough driver numbers available, taking onboard feedback above in relation to essential workers, it may be justified operating a modified rapid service to permit for the most essential journeys between town centres only to be undertaken by bus; my proposal is as below for rapid services that would operate at a 30 minute frequency, with articulated vehicles on all trips.

Due to the majority of COVID-19 Delta cases being detected in the north of Canberra, particularly in the Gungahlin district; the service has been designed to discourage non-essential journeys across the lake, however the R6 service will provide an adequate link to the Woden Valley & Tuggeranong Valley for essential workers.

R1 - City to Gungahlin Place; normal route.

R3 - Spence to Canberra Airport; normal route.

R6 - City West to Tuggeranong via Kingston, Woden & Erindale; standard route will be followed to Woden, followed by the R5 route between Woden & Erindale, service then continues to Tuggeranong, similar to former weekend service 900.

Bus 400

Except in Sydney, minimum frequency is 60 minutes. With majority cases in Gungahlin, if the Government was serious, they'd put a harder lockdown in place for Gungahlin.

No one in or out, no one on the road, not allowed to leave your suburb for anything except a COVID immunisation or test.
Not implementing this, they may as well ban face masks on public transport. There are posts going around of non residents visiting shops in Casey, Nicholas, Amaroo & Gungahlin.

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on August 19, 2021, 10:50:07 AMR6 - City West to Tuggeranong via Kingston, Woden & Erindale; standard route will be followed to Woden, followed by the R5 route between Woden & Erindale, service then continues to Tuggeranong, similar to former weekend service 900.

This will cause a lot of confusion as you are using existing numbers but changing the destination and routes.  Governments in other jurisdictions are already in trouble by causing confusion.

I would use the existing rapid services as everybody knows them.  Reduce the frequency and have dedicated inspectors checking people as they board.  Currently there are no inspections and people are boarding (sometimes without a mask) and going to other town centres.  The bus drivers have no powers over these people.

So using the existing rapid services, reduce their frequency and have those strict inspections (with the power to turn people away - or even arrest them).

The one problem that currently is in play is the school kids that are still using the services. The children of essential workers who are still going to school.  A stocktake needs to occur to get these kids off the buses - put them into a SNT type of bus, and then reduce the current services.  Transport Canberra cannot reduce the current services until these school children are off the buses as TC are obligated to get these kids to their schools - and yes, there are still some kids going to school.

ajw373

Dunno why haven't logged onto here for a while. But rest assured I have been mildly amused but not surprised by the rantings of Toyota Camry.

Surprised the suggestion that EL2's be under house arrest wasn't suggested. They are often the cause of most issues so probably a high COVID risk especially if the frequent KFC.  ;D  ;D

Toyota Camry

The lockdown has now been extended until September 17th; it is disappointing news, however it appears the lack of a mask mandate or other necessary restrictions prior to August 12th has come to bite Canberra hard. During the period since August 12th, I have not left my home or the suburb of Ngunnawal; aside from each Tuesday afternoon, when I have booked a car service using the "Uber" app to travel from my home to the drive through at KFC Gungahlin and return, which is disappointingly a sub-par store with low grade fillets.

Busnerd

I would see that trip as a non necessary risk and not essential.

You would be better off using food delivery services such as user eats, menu log, doordash, easi, deliveroo etc. To order a home delivered KFC meal from your local Gungahlin or Nicholla outlets.

Toyota Camry

Another 15 cases today; it appears that in line with New South Wales and Victoria, Canberra will remain in lockdown until the 80% double dose vaccination target has been met. Some elements such of the lockdown, such as the mask mandate and capacity limitations for offices and shops will become permanent for the forseable future; whilst some people may complain about these measures, they are simply part of how life now is; in years to come when mask wearing is deeply ingrained in Canberra's culture, some may look back at distant memories of when there was not a requirement to wear a fitted face mask on a Transport Canberra bus.

Due to some measures such as office capacity limits, public transport patronage is likely to never recover during peak periods, as only 50-75% of people will ever be in an office at a time; it will be practical for Transport Canberra to cut back peak services, and immediately remove surplus "Renault" and/or "Irisbus" vehicles that are no longer required in the fleet, as the capacity they contribute to the fleet is unlikely to be required within the next 10 years.

Some events previously held in Canberra such as "Skyfire" or "New Year's Eve" will be permanently cancelled, due to the lack of social distancing that is possible at these events; venues such as "nightclubs" will also close permanently, as the business model will not be suited to adherence with essential restrictions such as 25% maximum capacity, and for all patrons to remain seated where possible and to wear a fitted face mask whilst not seated. These types of venues may survive in cities such as "Perth" in Western Australia, where the excellent government is likely to detach themselves from Australia, and form a new COVID-zero nation with closed borders. The lack of such venues or events means that late night bus services may potentially be curtailed; this is due to a lack of nightlife in Civic. I have not attended such venues since a 2003 incident at "Mooseheads" when I was taken to this venue by a person from the private sector; it is safe to say that I will not be returning.

Sylvan Loves Buses

You can't just cut all night services. Shops and other essential services are still open for those who work and need the bus to get home at those late hours, it would be unfair for those people who need them. I agree with cutting back rapid and peak services, the only real rapid that should remain as it is is the R4 imo. The other rapids may have had higher patronage over the past networks, but the R4 covers the greater parts of Canberra and should remain for those who actually need it.

Bus 400

Definitely no surplus to requirement fleet. If social distance is still required. Additional buses can be used elsewhere. School students can't be permanently home schooled. Although COVID shows APS staff can work remotely anywhere in Australia. Business may like keeping staff nearby, but Government's are always looking to cut costs & bring employment to marginal seats.

As done in other countries, Australia will see vaccine passports of sorts. Where events & businesses won't allow entry without showing proof of vaccination. 

It'll take a few years, but things will return to normal. Businesses will close, others will open, some will be some we're not use to. Just compare things to 100 years ago.

Snorzac

Just to clear things up, are we retiring the "Renaults" which are allegedly surplus to requirements or using them more with their windows permanently forced open for added COVID safety whilst discriminating against those with mobility issues at the same time?

Toyota Camry

I am not a believer in coincidence or religion; however it appears the Scania L94UB gas fleet is over-represented in exposure sites. In order to avoid the risk of catching COVID-19, if you are a believer in luck, it is possible that the Scania L94UB gas fleet is associated with back luck in terms of exposures, and hence if travelling on a frequent route, you may wish to wait for the next service if your trip is a Scania L94UB gas bus.

There are 3 new public transport exposure sites today listed at https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/act-status-and-response/act-covid-19-exposure-locations; all of these exposures occurred onboard Scania L94UB gas buses, two exposures several days apart occurring on bus 322.

New   Bus Route 9 Transport Canberra Code BUS322   Bruce to Belconnen   Public Transport   02/09/2021 - Thursday   3:28pm   3:38pm
New   Bus Route 2 Transport Canberra Code BUS329   Wentworth Avenue (Fyshwick) to Canberra Outlet Centre   Public Transport   27/08/2021 - Friday   10:19am   10:26am
New   Bus Route 2 Transport Canberra Code BUS322   Canberra Outlet Centre to Wentworth Avenue (Fyshwick)   Public Transport   27/08/2021 - Friday   1:28pm   1:34pm

It is also noticable that of the 10 most recent public transport exposures by date listed as that link, 4 of 10 exposures occurred onboard Scania L94UB gas buses; these exposures are listed below, one of which is also listed above.

Bus Route 9 Transport Canberra Code BUS322   Bruce to Belconnen   Public Transport   02/09/2021 - Thursday   3:28pm   3:38pm   Casual
Bus Route 9 Transport Canberra Code BUS328   Belconnen to Lyneham   Public Transport   01/09/2021 - Wednesday   8:57pm   9:10pm   Casual
Bus Route 66 Transport Canberra Code BUS355   Denman Prospect to Woden Interchange   Public Transport   31/08/2021 - Tuesday   7:27pm   7:43pm   Casual
Bus Route 61 Transport Canberra Code BUS359   Woden Interchange to Phillip   Public Transport   31/08/2021 - Tuesday   7:46pm   7:50pm   Casual

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Snorzac on September 06, 2021, 09:18:08 PMJust to clear things up, are we retiring the "Renaults" which are allegedly surplus to requirements or using them more with their windows permanently forced open for added COVID safety whilst discriminating against those with mobility issues at the same time?
The fleet of Renault and Irisbus vehicles needs to be partially utilised during the current outbreak, with all Renault vehicles to be operating on major routes between first and last service daily; however the single door Irisbus fleet should not be utilised during this period under any circumstances.

During the month of October at the conclusion of lockdown, Canberra will be transitioning to living in a new world order of COVID-normal, with permanent measures such as capacity limits, face masks and testing; once this new world order has commenced, the Renault and Irisbus fleet can be retired due to the lack of patronage demand due to a significant proportion of office, including APS and Executive Level workers, that will not be returning to work for many years to come, as well as the permanent closure of some businesses such as nightclubs that cannot practically operate under a COVID-normal world order and/or with ongoing requirements such as mandatory face masks or for all patrons to remain seated.

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on September 10, 2021, 09:57:53 PMI am not a believer in coincidence or religion; however it appears the Scania L94UB gas fleet is over-represented in exposure sites. In order to avoid the risk of catching COVID-19, if you are a believer in luck, it is possible that the Scania L94UB gas fleet is associated with back luck in terms of exposures,

Do you think it might have something to do with how many particular type of buses are running?  That is, are there more scania l94ub buses running now compared to other types - therefore giving a higher incidence of exposure on those type of buses. 

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on September 10, 2021, 10:02:49 PMDuring the month of October at the conclusion of lockdown, Canberra will be transitioning to living in a new world order of COVID-normal, with permanent measures such as capacity limits, face masks and testing; once this new world order has commenced, the Renault and Irisbus fleet can be retired due to the lack of patronage demand due to a significant proportion of office, including APS and Executive Level workers, that will not be returning to work for many years to come, as well as the permanent closure of some businesses such as nightclubs that cannot practically operate under a COVID-normal world order and/or with ongoing requirements such as mandatory face masks or for all patrons to remain seated.

Maybe the government should retire off the public servants at all levels that are not returning to work - and then outsource those positions to temporary workers on an "as needed" or a "project-by-project" basis.  Uber office work. Have one administrative division to handle the management of the contracts. After all, the majority of aps work is co-ordinated by project managers anyway.  This is the dynamic and agile way of the so called "new world order" that you speak about.

Toyota Camry

Due to a COVID-19 outbreak in the Yass area, the NSW Government has implemented an urgent last minute lockdown of the Yass Valley; there is a risk to Canberra of this outbreak spreading into the ACT. It may be worth considering if it is appropriate to the safety and health of "Ken behrens" for QCity Transit to continue operating their 842 and 843 services between Woden and Yass; there is also a risk to the Gungahlin district posed by Mulligans Flat Road, this is a back road leading directly from Gungahlin into the locked down Yass Valley area.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Toyota Camry on September 10, 2021, 09:57:53 PM... you may wish to wait for the next service if your trip is a Scania L94UB gas bus.

Probably time to shut down all Woolworths Supermarkets. Have you noticed how just about every one in Canberra is listed as an exposure site?

Busnerd

Agreed, given then data it would be safest to shop at other supermarkets not often listed as exposure sites such as some IGA's, SPAR, Friendly Grocer and convenience stores.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Busnerd on September 16, 2021, 05:36:52 PMAgreed, given then data it would be safest to shop at other supermarkets not often listed as exposure sites such as some IGA's, SPAR, Friendly Grocer and convenience stores.
Woolworths is the dominant supermarket chain in the ACT, with the majority of large format stores; Coles is only a distant second in terms of dominance in Canberra, hence why a large number of their stores are exposure locations. Scania L94UB buses are not dominant members of the Transport Canberra fleet; during the period when I was still travelling by bus, they rarely operated in the Gungahlin district, or in the suburb of Ngunnawal, hence they are over-represented in exposure sites.

In extremely concerning news, it is apparent from the exposure sites that a Transport Canberra bus driver has tested positive; the list of trips they operated on the weekend is below. The vehicles they operated were both Tuggeranong buses; if you see your bus approaching at this present time, due to the heightened risk, it is strongly recommended that you practise double masking whilst on buses operated by that depot, you can learn how to double mask by watching the below video, which is below the list of exposure sites.

Bus Route 28 Transport Canberra Code BUS569   Gungahlin to Casey Market Town   Public Transport   12/09/2021 - Sunday   4:12pm   4:33pm
Bus Route 31 Transport Canberra Code BUS569   Belconnen (Cohen St) to City Interchange   Public Transport   12/09/2021 - Sunday   8:11pm   8:51pm
Bus Route 32 Transport Canberra Code BUS569   City Interchange to Belconnen (Cohen St)   Public Transport   12/09/2021 - Sunday   5:12pm   5:51pm
Bus Route 53 Transport Canberra Code BUS569   Dickson Shops to City Interchange   Public Transport   12/09/2021 - Sunday   9:18pm   9:46pm
Bus Route 8 Transport Canberra Code BUS569   Belconnen (Cohen St) to Gungahlin Interchange   Public Transport   12/09/2021 - Sunday   3:27pm   3:53pm
Bus Route 9 Transport Canberra Code BUS569   Belconnen (Cohen St) to Watson   Public Transport   12/09/2021 - Sunday   6:03pm   6:37pm
Bus Route 9 Transport Canberra Code BUS569   Watson to Belconnen (Cohen St)   Public Transport   12/09/2021 - Sunday   6:45pm   7:19pm

Bus Route 10 Transport Canberra Code BUS561   City West to Denman Prospect   Public Transport   11/09/2021 - Saturday   5:23pm   5:53pm
Bus Route 10 Transport Canberra Code BUS561   Denman Prospect to City West   Public Transport   11/09/2021 - Saturday   6:03pm   6:28pm
Bus Route 10 Transport Canberra Code BUS561   City West to Denman Prospect   Public Transport   11/09/2021 - Saturday   6:53pm   7:23pm
Bus Route 10 Transport Canberra Code BUS561   Denman Prospect to City West   Public Transport   11/09/2021 - Saturday   7:33pm   7:58pm
Bus Route 5 Transport Canberra Code BUS561   City West to Lanyon Marketplace   Public Transport   11/09/2021 - Saturday   11:07pm   11:54pm
Bus Route 6 Transport Canberra Code BUS561   Woden Interchange to City West   Public Transport   11/09/2021 - Saturday   4:23pm   5:07pm
Bus Route 63 Transport Canberra Code BUS561   Woden Interchange to Cooleman Court   Public Transport   11/09/2021 - Saturday   9:35pm   9:59pm
Bus Route 66 Transport Canberra Code BUS561   Cooleman Court to Woden Interchange   Public Transport   11/09/2021 - Saturday   10:04pm   10:47pm
Bus Route 7 Transport Canberra Code BUS561   City West to Weston Creek   Public Transport   11/09/2021 - Saturday   8:07pm   8:35pm

triumph

This site does not approve of mentioning a specific time and fleet number together in a post. Apparently this is related to the possibility of constructing shift patterns from multiple such posts and a concept of privacy. It is noted that these issues are not a concern for the Government, as the full daily activity of Buses 592 and 709 is shown in ACT Health Covid Exposure listings for 13th and 17th Sept. and possibly other dates. Is the rule still relevant?

Toyota Camry

This is public information provided by ACT Health to help stop the spread of COVID-19 in Canberra;

The below trips are listed as casual exposure sites over 4 days this week; it appears that a Belconnen driver may have tested positive to COVID-19, our thoughts are with this driver and we wish them a fast recovery. If you have travelled on one of the below trips, you are required to proceed directly to EPIC or Garran for a COVID-19 test; do not do this via public transport if you have access to a car.

New Bus Route 6 Transport Canberra Code BUS709 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 17/09/2021 - Friday 6:12am 6:59am
New Bus Route 6 Transport Canberra Code BUS709 Woden Interchange to City West Public Transport 17/09/2021 - Friday 7:13am 8:00am
New Bus Route 51 Transport Canberra Code BUS709 Dickson Shops to City Interchange Public Transport 17/09/2021 - Friday 8:16am 8:49am
New Bus Route 59 Transport Canberra Code BUS709 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 17/09/2021 - Friday 9:11am 9:43am
New Bus Route 902 Transport Canberra Code BUS709 Woden Interchange to Hume, return to Woden Interchange Public Transport 17/09/2021 - Friday 10:41am 11:50am
New Bus Route 65 Transport Canberra Code BUS709 Woden Interchange to Weston Creek Public Transport 17/09/2021 - Friday 11:55am 12:20pm
New Bus Route 64 Transport Canberra Code BUS709 Weston Creek to Woden Interchange Public Transport 17/09/2021 - Friday 12:27pm 12:53pm
New Bus Route 59 Transport Canberra Code BUS709 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 17/09/2021 - Friday 1:26pm 1:58pm
New Bus Route 66 Transport Canberra Code BUS709 Woden Interchange to Cooleman Court Public Transport 17/09/2021 - Friday 2:05pm 2:50pm

New Bus Route 6 Transport Canberra Code BUS670 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 16/09/2021 - Thursday 6:12am 6:59am
New Bus Route 6 Transport Canberra Code BUS670 Woden Interchange to City West Public Transport 16/09/2021 - Thursday 7:13am 8:00am
New Bus Route 51 Transport Canberra Code BUS670 Dickson Shops to City Interchange Public Transport 16/09/2021 - Thursday 8:16am 8:49am
New Bus Route 59 Transport Canberra Code BUS670 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 16/09/2021 - Thursday 9:11am 9:43am
New Bus Route 902 Transport Canberra Code BUS670 Woden Interchange to Hume, return to Woden Interchange Public Transport 16/09/2021 - Thursday 10:41am 11:50am
New Bus Route 65 Transport Canberra Code BUS670 Woden Interchange to Weston Creek Public Transport 16/09/2021 - Thursday 11:55am 12:20pm
New Bus Route 64 Transport Canberra Code BUS670 Weston Creek to Woden Interchange Public Transport 16/09/2021 - Thursday 12:27pm 12:53pm
New Bus Route 59 Transport Canberra Code BUS670 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 16/09/2021 - Thursday 1:26pm 1:58pm
New Bus Route 66 Transport Canberra Code BUS670 Woden Interchange to Cooleman Court Public Transport 16/09/2021 - Thursday 2:05pm 2:50pm

New Bus Route 6 Transport Canberra Code BUS557 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 15/09/2021 - Wednesday 6:12am 6:59am
New Bus Route 6 Transport Canberra Code BUS557 Woden Interchange to City West Public Transport 15/09/2021 - Wednesday 7:13am 8:00am
New Bus Route 51 Transport Canberra Code BUS557 Dickson Shops to City Interchange Public Transport 15/09/2021 - Wednesday 8:16am 8:49am
New Bus Route 59 Transport Canberra Code BUS557 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 15/09/2021 - Wednesday 9:11am 9:43am
New Bus Route 902 Transport Canberra Code BUS557 Woden Interchange to Hume, return to Woden Interchange Public Transport 15/09/2021 - Wednesday 10:41am 11:50am
New Bus Route 65 Transport Canberra Code BUS557 Woden Interchange to Weston Creek Public Transport 15/09/2021 - Wednesday 11:55am 12:20pm
New Bus Route 64 Transport Canberra Code BUS557 Weston Creek to Woden Interchange Public Transport 15/09/2021 - Wednesday 12:27pm 12:53pm
New Bus Route 59 Transport Canberra Code BUS557 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 15/09/2021 - Wednesday 1:26pm 1:58pm
New Bus Route 66 Transport Canberra Code BUS557 Woden Interchange to Cooleman Court Public Transport 15/09/2021 - Wednesday 2:05pm 2:50pm

New Bus Route 6 Transport Canberra Code BUS428 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 14/09/2021 - Tuesday 6:12am 6:59am
New Bus Route 6 Transport Canberra Code BUS428 Woden Interchange to City West Public Transport 14/09/2021 - Tuesday 7:13am 8:00am
New Bus Route 51 Transport Canberra Code BUS428 Dickson Shops to City Interchange Public Transport 14/09/2021 - Tuesday 8:16am 8:49am
New Bus Route 59 Transport Canberra Code BUS428 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 14/09/2021 - Tuesday 9:11am 9:43am
New Bus Route 902 Transport Canberra Code BUS428 Woden Interchange to Hume, return to Woden Interchange Public Transport 14/09/2021 - Tuesday 10:41am 11:50am
New Bus Route 65 Transport Canberra Code BUS428 Woden Interchange to Weston Creek Public Transport 14/09/2021 - Tuesday 11:55am 12:20pm
New Bus Route 64 Transport Canberra Code BUS428 Weston Creek to Woden Interchange Public Transport 14/09/2021 - Tuesday 12:27pm 12:53pm
New Bus Route 59 Transport Canberra Code BUS428 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 14/09/2021 - Tuesday 1:26pm 1:58pm
New Bus Route 66 Transport Canberra Code BUS428 Woden Interchange to Cooleman Court Public Transport 14/09/2021 - Tuesday 2:05pm 2:50pm

New Bus Route 6 Transport Canberra Code BUS592 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 13/09/2021 - Monday 6:12am 6:59am
New Bus Route 6 Transport Canberra Code BUS592 Woden Interchange to City West Public Transport 13/09/2021 - Monday 7:13am 8:00am
New Bus Route 51 Transport Canberra Code BUS592 Dickson Shops to City Interchange Public Transport 13/09/2021 - Monday 8:16am 8:49am
New Bus Route 59 Transport Canberra Code BUS592 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 13/09/2021 - Monday 9:11am 9:43am
New Bus Route 902 Transport Canberra Code BUS592 Woden Interchange to Hume, return to Woden Interchange Public Transport 13/09/2021 - Monday 10:41am 11:50am
New Bus Route 65 Transport Canberra Code BUS592 Woden Interchange to Weston Creek Public Transport 13/09/2021 - Monday 11:55am 12:20pm
New Bus Route 64 Transport Canberra Code BUS592 Weston Creek to Woden Interchange Public Transport 13/09/2021 - Monday 12:27pm 12:53pm
New Bus Route 59 Transport Canberra Code BUS592 City West to Woden Interchange Public Transport 13/09/2021 - Monday 1:26pm 1:58pm
New Bus Route 66 Transport Canberra Code BUS592 Woden Interchange to Cooleman Court Public Transport 13/09/2021 - Monday 2:05pm 2:50pm

Barry Drive

Quote from: triumph on September 21, 2021, 08:50:02 PMThis site does not approve of mentioning a specific time and fleet number together in a post.
... Is the rule still relevant?
Quoting information supplied by the government / ACT Health is not considered to be in breach of any rules.

Having said that though, I don't believe it is necessary to post this information in full when it is available through the ACT Health and Check in CBR websites.

Toyota Camry

To deliver more positive news, all areas of New South Wales, including Queanbeyan and Jerrabomberra, are scheduled to exit lockdown on Monday October 11th; unfortunately the risk level to the ACT will increase to 'extreme' on this date, as all travel restrictions within NSW will end, including between the 12 LGAs of concern in Greater Sydney and regional LGAs including Queanbeyan Palerang.

Subject to announcements by the NSW Government on border controls with the ACT, you may be able to leave lockdown in Canberra to visit businesses in Queanbeyan that will be open as of that date; however vaccine passports will be in place, and extreme caution should be taken due to the presence of visitors from Sydney. It is extremely highly recommended that you practice double making if you choose to visit; many Canberrans may do so, as the ACT is expected to remain in lockdown for a period beyond the reopening of Queanbeyan.

From this date onwards, if you are permitted to enter NSW, you will be permitted to go for joy rides on QCity Transit buses if the journey is entirely within NSW; however as the ACT will be remaining in lockdown, you may not go for joy rides on Transport Canberra vehicles.

Barry Drive

Unless you work in Queanbeyan there are no essential reasons to visit.

Update: I would suggest anyone who travels to Queanbeyan be fully vaccinated. And I don't mean just for Covid-19.

narc855

Before we get out of lockdown, it should be a good idea to run a Saturtday timetable for weekdays as I have seen too many empty buses, drivers depart 10min late or worse and miss all last few stops in which their actual working time is much short than the shift arranged. It is a waste of taxpyer's money.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I agree, but bi-hourly would be too few imo. Even though some may leave 10 minutes late, I've actually missed a couple of buses during my essential outings because some others don't bother to wait at time points so they end up being 10 or more minutes early. If that were to become a thing for weekday bi-hourly services, that would be very bad.

narc855

I would like to acknowledge that two hours frequency may be a bit harsh. However, the problem is that we can't create a new network now as it means too much work. Saturday timetable is probably the best approach to the current fluid situation. (Noticed that under this timetable we also have an hour frequency in the morning.)
I would also like to say two improvements if we do this timetable.
1. some re-class of shifts are of course necessary, we want some popular shifts serviced by artics. (NOT Renault for non-accessible; NOT Iris for no rear doors; NOT Stag for no bike racks)
2. vaccination shuttles buses: from City to AIS and Airport, buses run every 30 minutes so we need four buses (two for each route). Each route should be about 15 minutes long to run, so drivers would have another 15 minutes as a crib. (like a 903 shift).
We want buses run from 7am to 9pm, that is, two 8-hour shift after adding all times. Therefore we need eight drivers for every day, which is not a big number.

Snorzac

Or just leave it as is, if you go to a Saturday or Sunday network, you still have to pay drivers their hours to sit at home as per the conditions of the enterprise agreement which state that a part time driver shall be paid no less than 20 hours a week and a full time driver shall be paid no less than 38 hours a week. As it stands, school will be going back shortly, the work needed to make the changes would not be worth it as when school goes back a full network will be required to maintain school services

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: narc855 on September 22, 2021, 09:49:21 PMNOT Stag for no bike racks
I haven't seen a single bike rack in use since the lockdown, I don't think that one's necessary.

I was discussing it with mum and I think if anything what should be the biggest change is the diversity in the shifts, especially the shifts that have say a Belconnen driver do mostly southside routes (and vise versa). Other than the obvious with the Rapids, if the side of Canberra you're depot is located at then that's what your shift should contain. Surely that would help prevent the spread a bit more, especially after reading the routes that exposed Belconnen driver was doing.

Snorzac

The deputy chief health officer noted in yesterday's press conference that for privacy reasons they would not confirm that it was in fact a bus driver that had COVID. I think it's also important to note in this outbreak in Canberra, whilst there bas been numerous public transport exposures, there has been no transmission on public transport to date....

narc855

Quote from: Snorzac on September 22, 2021, 09:52:39 PMAs it stands, school will be going back shortly, the work needed to make the changes would not be worth it as when school goes back a full network will be required to maintain school services
As per government guidline, students from per-school to year 10 who are the majority passengers using school routes will NOT return to school for the first four weeks of term 4. For college students I know that we will NOT have year 11 and year 12 students onsite at the same time, that is at most half college students will use public transport compared to before.
AS they give up the target of zero COVID-19 case, I don't think lockdown could end on time, lockdown might end up when we have 80% Canberrans aged 12+ fully vaccinated.
So I think we will likely have few passengers onboard until November. That means it may be worth to try a Saturday timetable with the aid of artics. It is actually harmful to me becasue I can't take photos of Irisbuses but I do believe it would reduce the cost though. (Even you still need to pay for employees, you don't need to pay for vehicles cost.)

narc855

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on September 23, 2021, 02:14:10 AMI haven't seen a single bike rack in use since the lockdown, I don't think that one's necessary.
Some people still use it as what I have seen (I am at City so I spend my exercise time around City Interchange). In addition I heard that 461 curried three bike racks last week (not been proved though). If we use the Saturday timetable with STAG, people with a bike may need to wait tw hours for next one...
Regarding the diversity in shifts, that is for the imporvement of drivers' wellbeing. It is clear that drivers would be more willing to drive if they are not just run a single route every day. It is a misconception that drivers do different routes will increase the risk of exposure. The risk of exposure only depends on how long the driver works or how many passengers onboard, regardless of what routes the driver serviced. (Some services/routes are more popular than others but that is sort of random things)

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Snorzac on September 23, 2021, 08:15:31 AMI think it's also important to note in this outbreak in Canberra, whilst there bas been numerous public transport exposures, there has been no transmission on public transport to date....
There are several unlinked cases discovered in Canberra each day; it is highly likely that some of these cases were exposed on public transport.

The risk for transmission onboard public transport has been reduced by the mask mandate; now that our mediocre CHO Kerryn Coleman, who failed to mandate masks in December 2020 when another outbreak was in progress in NSW, has confirmed that the ACT will not ever be returning to 0 cases, it is apparent that this mandate is likely to become permanent, potentially for years to come. This is something that will be largely welcome by much of our community, including by the extreme majority of Transport Canberra bus drivers; any person who does not wish to wear a fitted face mask on public transport does not deserve to use the service.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: narc855 on September 23, 2021, 10:45:51 AMSo I think we will likely have few passengers onboard until November. That means it may be worth to try a Saturday timetable with the aid of artics. It is actually harmful to me becasue I can't take photos of Irisbuses but I do believe it would reduce the cost though. (Even you still need to pay for employees, you don't need to pay for vehicles cost.)
If bus services were to operate on a Saturday timetable, this would provide an insufficient service to allow for social distancing; however with the current dire COVID-19 situation in Canberra, with the equivalent of 600 cases per day currently being recorded in the ACT, based on Canberra's population compared to that of Sydney, there is an urgent requirement for a service adjustment that will help to stop the spread of COVID-19, as well as preserve scarce staffing resources that may be diluted further due to the outbreak.

The below adjustment to services between areas of Canberra will help to stop the spread by reducing non-essential movement between districts; this plan maintains service for essential workers, however removes non-essential services operating between areas. Local route services within each district continue to operate at the summer timetable; this is to support essential workers and others travelling for essential purposes.

L1: regular service
R2: Fraser to Belconnen operating a regular service; no service Belconnen to Fyshwick (R4 & 56 operating)
R3: Spence to Belconnen operating a regular service; no service Belconnen to Airport (R4 & extended 54 operating)
R4: regular service
R5: no service (R4, 76 & 81 operating)
R6: regular service
R7: no service (R4 & 65 operating)
R8: no service (23 & 24 operating)
R9: Watson to Dickson operating a regular service; no service Dickson to Belconnen (30 & 31 operating)
R10: no service (R4 & 66 operating)
54: extended service from Majura Park to Airport
59: no service (56 & R6 operating)
180: no service (R4 & 80 operating)
181: no service (R4 & 81 operating)
182: no service (R6, R4 & 81 operating)

Toyota Camry

Our excellent chief minister Andrew Barr announced his re-opening plan today; the lockdown in Canberra will end on October 15th, and I am assuming that Transport Canberra bus services will also resume the normal timetable on that date.

Sensibly, he has been announced that the indoor mask mandate will remain in Canberra for a long time to come; however disgustingly, the NSW Government has announced that mask wearing will no longer be mandatory in places such as shops or businesses from December 1 within that state; that includes areas such as Queanbeyan and Jerrabomberra, and will pose a heightened risk to the ACT.

It has also been announced that the mask mandate on public transport in New South Wales is being made permanent, and will continue beyond the pandemic; this is excellent news and will hopefully be replicated in Canberra.

On Friday October 15th, I will be utilising a bus service for the first time since June to celebrate the end of lockdown, and will travel to KFC Hawker using routes 28, R8 & 45; on arrival I will be meeting an APS6 for lunch, most likely comprising of a Twister Box, which is no longer advertised on the main menu.

triumph

I would be a bit wary, if some predictions are to be believed, then Covid will be far more pervasive than at present during lockdown..... .

Snorzac

Quote from: Toyota Camry on September 27, 2021, 07:07:55 PMOn Friday October 15th, I will be utilising a bus service for the first time since June to celebrate the end of lockdown, and will travel to KFC Hawker using routes 28, R8 & 45; on arrival I will be meeting an APS6 for lunch, most likely comprising of a Twister Box, which is no longer advertised on the main menu.
Your behaviour is questionable at best....why would you catch three buses to arguably the worst KFC in Canberra?

narc855

Not the worst KFC actually. Woden KFC has a mess carpark and drive thru design and the guys here always forget to put something into my meal bags...

Toyota Camry

Queanbeyan is exiting lockdown from Monday October 11th, which is far too early and unsafe in my view; it is believed that under current restrictions that ACT residents will not be permitted to visit businesses in New South Wales on this date, and may be removed from the state.

If you are a NSW resident that is fully vaccinated, you may visit Queanbeyan for any reason; this includes riding on buses or visiting shops and restaurants.

Bus 400

With the higher COVID positive test rate & lower vaccinated percentage, hopefully NSW introduces a hard border with ACT. 

Only allowing authorised workers who are fully vaccinated & test negative to enter NSW. Especially considering NSW residents will have full reign on NSW by the end of October.