Turner Layover

Started by triumph, October 31, 2021, 03:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumph

The new Turner Layover seems fairly complete now - possibly traffic signal work might still be pending.

triumph

Quote from: triumph on October 31, 2021, 03:36:38 PMThe new Turner Layover seems fairly complete now - possibly traffic signal work might still be pending.

Had a closer look yesterday. Except for removal of some stacked material and temporary fence, the new City Layover seems ready for use. Traffic lights have been added to the Barry Drive entrance including pedestrian controls for the Barry Drive footpath (the Northbound pedestrian button is to the right of the footpath which is poor positioning). A secondary entrance off Watson St is provided, but clearly not for regular bus use as an awkward turn within the layover is involved.

There is a new large 3 cell box culvert running under the site which would have added considerably to establishment costs. No doubt the value of the released existing Layover will defray most of the development cost (provided the Government actually owns the old site),

As far as I can see, there are 25 marked spaces, of which 9 are behind another space, which means the front bus must go first or the rear bus back up. This compares with the existing Marcus Clarke St site which has 12 marked spaces plus kerbside space (2?) nearby in University Ave..

I took images but haven't managed to append them to this post.

narc855

Quote from: triumph on November 08, 2021, 12:36:57 PMof which 9 are behind another space, which means the front bus must go first or the rear bus back up
I doubt that, there should be a path in the back of the parkings which is similar to the current layout. The bus in back parkings can reverse and exit. (That being said, you still have responability to move to front  if the front one leaves.

Quote from: triumph on November 08, 2021, 12:36:57 PMplus kerbside space (2?) nearby in University Ave
There's only one, but you may use City Police Bus Station Layover (London Cct before University Ave) which has 3-4 spaces.

triumph

Quote from: narc855 on November 09, 2021, 09:09:07 PMI doubt that, there should be a path in the back of the parkings which is similar to the current layout. The bus in back parkings can reverse and exit. (That being said, you still have responability to move to front  if the front one leaves.
There's only one, but you may use City Police Bus Station Layover (London Cct before University Ave) which has 3-4 spaces.

Isn't 'back up' the same as 'reverse'? Yes, like at the present layover, the 'reversing' bus can enter the lane it arrived on and then continue forward in that lane to the exit.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Is there going to be anywhere we can go that's not private property to get roof photos with this new location?

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 10, 2021, 02:21:31 AMIs there going to be anywhere we can go that's not private property to get roof photos with this new location?
Probably no public building, but perhaps there is a viewpoint from an ANU building across Barry Drive, if you can arrange permission.
The perimeter of the site outside the temporary fencing is accessible with the end and Sullivans Creek sides on high embankments which do give improved views.
Ideally, a drone would do it, but is probably not legal without a licensed operator and relevant permissions.

triumph

It is not only Woden Depot that seems to to take forever. The Turner layover was empty when I last looked, but has been usable for quite a long time now. I have seen no Forum report recently of it being used, or when it is planned to be used.
A former Canberra Times journalist, Graham Downie, lives nearby, and, using his journalistic skills, is a regular ACTION/TC critic, often focussing on inefficiency. The Turner layover is an example - the public money has been spent, the product is not being used, and the high value of the University Ave/Marcus Clarke St layover still being used is thus not being realised. No doubt there are seemingly plausible explanations, but from outside it just provides grist for Downie's inefficiency remarks.   

Barry Drive

As mentioned in the Network 2021 topic, Turner Layover can't be used without a timetable/network change because several routes currently commence from "City West" (Marcus Clarke St). Presumably these routes will instead commence from Rimmer St.

The next available opportunity for this network change is the start of Term 3 (July).

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on May 09, 2022, 10:38:52 AMAs mentioned in the Network 2021 topic, Turner Layover can't be used without a timetable/network change because several routes currently commence from "City West" (Marcus Clarke St). Presumably these routes will instead commence from Rimmer St.

The next available opportunity for this network change is the start of Term 3 (July).
Yes, very probable, but...

Has there been any statement by TC or the Minister that City West starting point will move to Rimmer St.? Certainly seems logical. But this will reduce services to that part of City West to just the National Museum route, until the Light Rail is operational.

Just an 'opportunity'. That will be over half a year since the Turner site was visually usably completed. There appears to be no actual physical reason why the Turner layover couldn't have been put into use already and the City West starting point retained (temporarily?). Just double back via Marcus Clarke, a cross street into London Circuit, and University Ave. Alternatively there is no absolute constraint to changing to Rimmer St from City West at any time. Waiting for a TT change is highly desirable but not compulsory. After all, services are interfered with for construction reasons at the drop of a hat.

triumph

The Turner Layover main gates seem to have been open since at least the last weekend.

On Wed (27/7) morning there was a bus (540, I think) parked there. So it is definitely now in use.

A driver told me that 'some' drivers are using it, but the old University Ave layover remains the preference for most. So it seems that use of the new layover is optional at present.

Another detail mentioned is that left turn entry to the new layover is not permitted for buses coming S along Barry Dr (ie from Belconnen) and needing to lay over. To gain access thus involves continuing to Northbourne Ave before being able to 'go round the block' and return, or simply going to the old layover and doubling back (why would you bother?).

(On realising the value of the existing site mentioned in a preceding post, I had assumed it was public property, but that may not be the case. Does anyone know if it is leased from a private/institutional owner?) 

Bus 400

City West Layover land is owned by the ANU, or was. 

There is also an access point from Watson Street for buses from Belconnen.

Snorzac

There is no access from Watson street, that is emergency access only 

Northside

The original riotact article suggested otherwise. I wonder if this has changed or was incorrectly reported?

QuoteThere will also be adjustments to the alignment of the southern approach of the intersection which will allow for buses to enter and depart from Kingsley Street, while access from the western approach of Barry Drive will be through the existing driveway along Watson Street.

https://the-riotact.com/plans-lodged-for-new-bigger-bus-layover-in-turner/381142

triumph

Quote from: triumph on July 31, 2022, 06:13:10 PMThe Turner Layover main gates seem to have been open since at least the last weekend.

On Wed (27/7) morning there was a bus (540, I think) parked there. So it is definitely now in use.

Image of bus at Turner Layover, submitted by Snorzac for photo of the month, has meta data date 20th July 20222, so the Layover was open for use by then.