Land between Athllon Drive and Mawson, what should it become?

Started by Sir Pompously, July 10, 2009, 03:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

I noticed an article in the Canberra Times yesterday at work (I Cannot find it in the online edition) about the land at the corner of Mawson Drive and Athllon Drive in Mawson. Stated in the article was that the land (Which is signed only for Future development) should be for High Density Housing. I for one am against it, only because it would be good land to have reserved for a future transport corridor. One thing lacking in the ACT is future transport corridors. We have roads, with space for extra lanes, however nothing that is really set aside for Busways, LightRail or Heavy Rail corridors. Sure, we can always tunnel it, however for cost effectiveness, it would be better to leave the land to Build a Green Transport Zone with a Bikepath, Bus Only Road (Busway similar to Brisbane) and parkland surrounding it. With the Park and Ride being installed near the current bus stops, this is the perfect place for an elevated Busway station, or light rail station. Of course, these are only my views, and this thread is therefore now a discussion on what you think should be built there. Housing, Community Facilities or Transport Facilities?

lukeo25

bus lane to woden or tuggeranong, but i think canberra should have a light rail along the intertown route and flemmington road to gungahlin

Buzz Killington

I assume you mean the land between Mawson Drive and Hindmarsh Dr?

Set aside for housing, and has been for years. If they weren't building on the other side of Hindmarsh near the Police Station they might be able to put a transport corridor in but yeah...

lukeo25

i know the land, its not by the police station its nearer to southlands by the stormwater drains

Bus 400

Actually a report did say that the Flemington Road median strip is to be wider then normal for any future public transport plans. It is someone in these plans http://apps.actpla.act.gov.au/pubnote/pubnoteDetail_new.asp?DA_no=200913976.

The exact document is http://203.9.249.2/e-registers/pubnote/pdf/SCRITERIA-200913976-01.pdf
It states "Allowance of 8m in the central median has been made for future Inter-town Public Transport. This can be seen in the typical sections (drawing GG101(http://203.9.249.2/e-registers/pubnote/pdf/SECTION-200913976-Typical_sh_1_of_7-01.pdf))"

smitho

Quote from: Sir Pompously on July 10, 2009, 03:19:38 PM
I noticed an article in the Canberra Times yesterday at work (I Cannot find it in the online edition) about the land at the corner of Mawson Drive and Athllon Drive in Mawson. Stated in the article was that the land (Which is signed only for Future development) should be for High Density Housing. I for one am against it, only because it would be good land to have reserved for a future transport corridor. One thing lacking in the ACT is future transport corridors. We have roads, with space for extra lanes, however nothing that is really set aside for Busways, LightRail or Heavy Rail corridors. Sure, we can always tunnel it, however for cost effectiveness, it would be better to leave the land to Build a Green Transport Zone with a Bikepath, Bus Only Road (Busway similar to Brisbane) and parkland surrounding it. With the Park and Ride being installed near the current bus stops, this is the perfect place for an elevated Busway station, or light rail station. Of course, these are only my views, and this thread is therefore now a discussion on what you think should be built there. Housing, Community Facilities or Transport Facilities?
As I understand the situation, this land is designated under the Territory Plan as being required for the Intertown Public Transport (IPTR) route. A call to ACTPLA or a check on their web site would confirm whether I'm correct on this. Much off the IPTR land near Woden TC is subject to flood risk and is unlikely to be suitable for housing.