Transport Canberra - Public Transport Improvement Plan 2015

Started by Buzz Killington, October 27, 2015, 09:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

The ACT Government today released the Public Transport Improvement Plan 2015.

Key points include:
* Merging Capital Metro and ACTION into one agency, to be known as Transport Canberra.
* Integrated ticketing between buses and trams
* Draft light rail network plan released for comment
* Comprehensive public survey on public transport in 2016
* Investigating the ability to pay fares with an e-wallet/smartphone and platform vending machines for topping up MyWay cards
* Smart timetable technology for planning multi-mode trips
* Buses from the light rail corridor redistributed to other areas of the network
* Public online dashboard for reporting network performance in real time
* Expanding 'MyWay only'' fares to additional routes
* Extending workshop hours to improve bus availability
* Wifi on trams, and wifi trial on ACTION commencing shortly
* Weekend 'on demand' pick-up system - taxis to take people to major stops from their local stop
* Bike racks on all full-size buses (ie steer tags and artics) by mid 2016.
* Explore and potentially trial electric buses

You can also view the joint media release from Chief Minister Barr and Minister Rattenbury here

Bus 400

I don't get the whole get a taxi from your nearest bus stop. Why walk to a bus stop, when you organise a taxi from your own home?
Catching a bus can be an inconvenience & having to request a taxi that will pick you up from your bus stop anyway.

From my weekend volunteer work at a main transport location without nearby I  weekend bus services. I see  the issues with people rocking up & being told to call a taxi or walk half a kilometer to wait an hour or two for the next bus service.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Bus 503

I have a few questions:

What happens if light rail doesn't go ahead next year? Will ACTION still change their name?

Will they be changing the livery on all the buses? Including the orange ones?

The document shows that 100% of buses will be bike racked. What about the darts? 98% would be more accurate.

Buzz Killington

The document says all FULL SIZE buses will receive bike racks, so that would exclude the Darts.

I can't see the livery being changed - it would be a huge expense. If the name does change, it's more likely they will change the just the decals, similar to the logo update on the green fleet a few years ago.

If the light rail doesn't go ahead, presumably ACTION will remain under Transport Canberra, which will also have responsibility for other bits of transport policy - cycling etc

King of Buses

The chief minister responded to a comment I made saying that there are no plans to rename ACTION.
My suspicion is that we may get new logos and decals all over the place like TfNSW which have 'Transport Canberra: ACTION' instead of just ACTION.
Shouldn't see a new livery though...

Barry Drive

Exactly. My read of this is that Transport Canberra will be the umbrella agency - like TfNSW or TransLink. ACTION and Capital Metro will remain as service providers.

The one logo which might change is the ACTION logo currently printed on the MyWay receipts.

Quote from: Buzz Killington on October 28, 2015, 07:40:59 AM
If the light rail doesn't go ahead, presumably ACTION will remain under Transport Canberra, which will also have responsibility for other bits of transport policy - cycling etc
The Transport Canberra agency will commence 1 July 2016. And its sole responsibility will be Public Transport.

The full MRCagney ACTION expenditure review report can be accessed here: http://apps.treasury.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/786488/ACTION_Expenditure_Review_Final_Public_Report.pdf

And the Government's response is here: http://apps.treasury.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/786496/ACT-Government-response-to-MRCagney-Report.pdf

Makes for interesting reading.

King of Buses

For those who haven't seen, this is something new to appear on 574...and probably the rest of the buses too...(it is under the side logos too). Probably a part of the Transport Canberra scheme.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: King of Buses on November 23, 2015, 06:24:22 PM
For those who haven't seen, this is something new to appear on 574...and probably the rest of the buses too...(it is under the side logos too). Probably a part of the Transport Canberra scheme.

Yes, I had actually seen 576 with that too last week, I was going to mention it in one of the threads, just didn't know which one to do so :(, so that's 2 of them now.

Is this ACTIONs new logo? or just a government requirement now?

Barry Drive

In a move which probably surprised no one, Capital Metro head Emma Thomas will be the Director-General of Transport Canberra.

The Love Guru

I can hear the blades sharpening already in preparation to slash and burn the bus budget to pay for the train set.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: The Love Guru on February 23, 2016, 07:16:55 PMslash and burn the bus budget to pay for the train set.

I was talking with a bus driver the other day, an he said that too, I'm confused, isn't the ACT Government working on playing with their Light rail/Trams not trains? Or is this something I'm not a where of as of yet?

The Love Guru

Barry Drive

Update: Transport Canberra will no longer be a separate agency but will be incorporated into a renamed directorate "Transport Canberra and City Services" with Emma Thomas as the Director-General.

Doesn't really change things much, just removes one DG from the ACT Public Service structure. Quite possible existing Public Transport management will remain unchanged.

Has the benefit of keeping Roads ACT in the same organisation as ACTION.