Infrastructure Discussion

Started by Bus 503, December 25, 2015, 08:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 503

This topic is designed for posts relating to transport infrastructure which don't fit in other threads.

To start the discussion, which terminii have fully operational driver facilities?

The Love Guru

There are only 7 full facility meal areas on the network with only 6 used for meal breaks.

Bus 503

Can anyone tell me if this was a peg? It's located on Batchelor Street Torrens:

Sylvan Loves Buses

To me, that looks like one of those bike-way-trails pegs, like the ones you see all around Tuggeranong Valley's Cycleways and dirt tracks. So I don't think so, but as I haven't had the resources to know this stuff as long as I could have, someone else more knowledgable might want to answer that. But because of the colour and the size, it looks more like the cycle trail sign.

[Edit]I just looked it up myself, and it's right off the Athllon Drive cycleway, so yeah, I think it's most likely one of the cycle track pegs.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I was just on my way to sleep when I remembered something. I was actually on my way home today, down Athllon drive's cycleway, and I remembered your post, I made a quick detour to have a look at this peg that you were refering to. I had a look, and it appears to be some sort of pole. A solid metal, white painted pole. So I it's not a peg, unless ACTION used metal poles as pegs too, back in the day.

Bus 503

If a terminus is not in use anymore for proper route services, (e.g Torrens) are the driver facilities still kept in working order, or are they just forgotten about?

Also:

Why are there still wooden pegs around? Matina Street is one example - did they just forget to take away the wooden pegs, or are they still there for another reason?

Don't know about your first question, but with the pegs - most of the remaining pegs are no longer serviced by school or regular route services. When the NXTBUS blades were installed, only active stops were targeted - so any disused stops, such as Matina St, would have been overlooked.

There is at least one exception - Watson Shops on Knox St is still an active stop and received a NXTBUS blade, but the peg is still in place - possibly because it's some distance from the blade post, it was probably just missed on the day.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: 743 on February 21, 2016, 10:23:01 PMThere is at least one exception - Watson Shops on Knox St is still an active stop and received a NXTBUS blade, but the peg is still in place - possibly because it's some distance from the blade post, it was probably just missed on the day.

That I suppose is the same reason for the Narrabundah Terminus peg too?

The peg opposite Narrabundah Terminus is not used by any school or route service, so wouldn't have been looked at during NXTBUS blade installation - like the pegs further along Matina St.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Just in case no one else has noticed, Tuggeranong's Lollipop sign has been taken down, and a new green wheel one now sits outside of the fences in more clear view.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 28, 2016, 12:38:44 PM
Just in case no one else has noticed, Tuggeranong's Lollipop sign has been taken down, and a new green wheel one now sits outside of the fences in more clear view.

Only about a year ago

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh lol, has it been that long already? could've sworn I still saw the old one there a few months ago

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on May 28, 2016, 08:49:37 PM
Oh lol, has it been that long already? could've sworn I still saw the old one there a few months ago

The old signs were acquired by RATEC.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, I remember hearing them discussing it at one of the meetings I attended, man how time flies >.>

Barry Drive

The Kate Crace layover might possibly move to The Valley Avenue (at some point), based on the almost full length concrete bus bay built on the east side of the road extension.

An update has been run to NXTBUS for the new school term. I'm on a 39 and three stops so far have new audio announcements, with more specific descriptions than the old 'vague' descriptions. For instance, 3240 "Downer" is now announced as "Melba St 2nd after Bradfield St". The text descriptions on the NXTBUS screen, however, have not been updated.

King of Buses

Quote from: 743 on January 30, 2017, 08:02:42 AM
An update has been run to NXTBUS for the new school term. I'm on a 39 and three stops so far have new audio announcements, with more specific descriptions than the old 'vague' descriptions. For instance, 3240 "Downer" is now announced as "Melba St 2nd after Bradfield St". The text descriptions on the NXTBUS screen, however, have not been updated.

A new update would explain why some of the (working*) NXTBUS Bus Station PIDs now show "London Cct/Eclipse" for routes like the 171 instead of just "Eclipse House" as of today. There are almost certainly other changes to other route descriptions on those signs but I rarely look at them these days anyway.

* i.e. Not Tuggeranong Bus Station at the moment.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Only saw a glance of it as the bus I was on passed by, but does anyone know what they were doing to the bus stop opposite the Woden Depot a little while ago? (I saw a crane, but not much else - moving too quickly)
Bus Stop 2651

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 08, 2017, 06:27:57 PM
Only saw a glance of it as the bus I was on passed by, but does anyone know what they were doing to the bus stop opposite the Woden Depot a little while ago? (I saw a crane, but not much else - moving too quickly)
Bus Stop 2651

Swtiching the CAM shelter for an Adshel (which is currently ad-less, but has space for ads). Can't see why they bothered just for the extra two ad spaces on Athllon Dr...

Barry Drive

The only one that I can think of that was removed recently was Flemington Road / Well Station Drive. In which case, AdShel may have insisted on a substitute location due to it having lost a high traffic advertising spot.

Correction: Flemington Road / Morisset Road

Sylvan Loves Buses

I understand this use to be a terminus back in the day, presumably the 'old Spence terminus', would it still be called that if it were still in use?

This is 1 of 4 remaining birds eye drawings I have not yet done to include in the 32/33 terminus drawings, so I wanted to ask as I don't really know.

triumph

Westfield Belconnen Bus Station has re-opened.
The main work has been a substantial repair/renewal of a structural joint which stretches right across the station at a point about one bus length back from Plat 2 departure end.
Most of this interchange has a void underneath,  thus the surface is on a structure, not natural ground. It seems that the structure was not designed to be stiff enough, consequently it seems that the flexing and impact from buses passing over had resulted in the joint breaking up (particularly near the edge of platform 1).
Also for several years the paving slabs on the pedestrian part of the platforms have been becoming loose which had resulted in rocking underfoot, sticking up to form a trip risk, and in wet weather squirting water up your leg when stepped on. Recently the slabs were relaid, but already the slabs near the joint had become loose again.  It will be interesting to see if the new joint works will prove durable and solve the loosening of pavers problem.
Incidentally, though an TC facility, I have been told that repair and maintenance of this sort is a Westfield responsibility.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I noticed that myself when I was up there some time ago waiting for a bus to kippax. I was standing in the middle of the platform, and whenever a bus passed me, it would make a loud thumping noise as it would go over the line in the road. The other side wasn't as bad, but it did seem a little odd to me at the time for something like that to be happening.
The one thing I forgot about the bus station and the reason for all this is cause it was build over the old bus lane.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I've just been going through the list of how many possible terminii could be left that I could use and maybe add to the drawing game set. So far I've counted 18 more, but I may decide to not include half of them.

There's a couple I'm not sure about though, and a few I need to confirm are or were actual terminii.

The ones I am wondering about are: Kaleen, Ainslie, Duffy, Fisher and Hackett.
And I'm wondering if there was one located somewhere in Forrest back in the 1950-1980s time period. I remember the 83 or 84 use to run around Forrest, but I only ever caught it like 3 times to go to Fyshwick, but that's too long ago to remember seeing anything anyway. Same goes for Braddon too, as there's a old shelter around that looks similar to the ones in Ainslie and Forrest.

Barry Drive

Take a look in the Gallery for some historical maps and timetables.

An "old shelter" doesn't = terminus. And I'm not aware of any in Braddon - but even if there were, it's an unlikely location for a terminus.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Was I day dreaming, or was the roof from the shelter of bus stop #4530 (Marcus Clarke St before Rimmer St) missing?

On a side note, Tuggeranong Interchange has had a PA system upgrade for those who have not noticed.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Noticed this the other day, anyone know what the XLR input above the trolley rack near platform 9 at Woden Interchange was used for?

Barry Drive

Not entirely sure what you're referring to, but I think it was a clock.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

I'll take a photo of it next time, see if it'll help.

I have a feeling it may have been some sort of PA system, considering XLR inputs are mostly used with microphones.

triumph

The right turn queueing lane from Lathlain St., Belconnen, into the Westfield Bus Station was painted as a bus lane today. In consequence S bound buses leaving the Cohen St. Bus Station stop diverted via Josephson, Luxton, and Lathlain Streets so as to enter Westfield Bus Station by a left turn from Lathlain St.. N bound buses leaving Westfield were not affected.

This seems a good move as inadvertent private right turn movements have occurred quite frequently.

Sylvan Loves Buses

has the old police station been knocked down yet, or is all that construction guff still there?

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 06, 2017, 06:51:21 AM
has the old police station been knocked down yet, or is all that construction guff still there?

The Police Station has been demolished but the site frontages are surrounded by a hoarding. There appears to be no current activity.

triumph

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 06, 2017, 06:51:21 AM

Further to previous reply, I managed to find a small hole in the hoarding. The site was completely clear with a grassy surface and no sign of anything happening.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, you can now see your buses coming from the Cohen station when standing at Westfield.
Brings back memories of how you could once upon a time see your bus coming at Tuggeranong Interchange...

What's going on with that interchange anyway? For the past 15 years or so, the threat of both Woden and Tuggeranong interchanges were to be demolished, but so far only pieces of Woden have been taken and nothing has happened to Tuggeranong. Is there any news about Tuggeranong being relocated yet, or do we keep waiting while the government spends all the tax payer dollars on the lightrail which is not even done yet?

triumph

Further to reply 33, the hoarding round the old Belconnen Police Station near the Westfield Bus Station has been removed, though the site remained wire fenced. There are indications that activity of some sort is imminent.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh thank god, those advertisements were driving me crazy

triumph

Further to reply 35. Nothing overt is happening after all (at the former Belconnen Police Station site). The site is well grassed with a wire fence bounded lane across the middle towards Vinnies. There is a sign on the Cohen/Lathlain cnr that it is a development site.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Anyone know what's happening on the grassy areas opposite the Melrose playing fields? I would've thought they'd leave that area alone till the lightrail, but I guess everyone now days hates grass, so keep building over everything...

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 11, 2018, 10:32:50 AM
Anyone know what's happening on the grassy areas opposite the Melrose playing fields? I would've thought they'd leave that area alone till the lightrail, but I guess everyone now days hates grass, so keep building over everything...

There is a new Wetland going in, some of that area I believe has also been rezoned for (higher density) development.

Bus 503

Bus *** came up to Kaleen terminus this afternoon at 12:40 (parked at the same place as this photo: http://www.actbus.net/gallery/ACTION-Buses-Current/Renault-PR100-3/Bus-108/Bus+108+-+Georgina+Crescent+(4).jpg). Not sure what it was doing but it had the generic dead-run file on the desto (sorry...not in service). Perhaps the driver was going to have a meal break at Kaleen Plaza?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well the school holidays are over right? He was probably waiting to do a school charter service or something.

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 29, 2018, 07:14:10 PM
Well the school holidays are over right? He was probably waiting to do a school charter service or something.

It's Sunday.

Sylvan Loves Buses

What, you've never ridding a Sunday preschoolers charter run? Dayam boy, you've missed out!

Busfanatic101

It appears a stop may be going in on Ashley Dr southbound just north of Statton Street and the underpass from what I could make of a zigzagging concrete ramp when I rode past last night.

Bus 400

There are bus bays on both sides on Ashley Dr at the Statton St, Bugden Ave & Clift Cr.

I haven't noticed any near Clive Steele Ave, Ellerston Ave or Baraclough Cr.

Going through contracts recently as well, I can't remember if this was mentioned or not, but tgere were plans for a southbound stop on Jerrabomberra Ave opp Narrabundah College. But this was abandoned due to concerns.

Buzz Killington

So of the six roads which terminate along that portion of Ashley Drive, half have bus stops close by.

Those are the three signalised intersections, correct? In any case, the other three streets are reasonably close to one of the three signalised intersections, so there's no real need to have bus stops near all six.

Busfanatic101

Not sure about the signalised intersections but they coincide with 3 of the 4 underpass locations along that stretch of Ashley Dr

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 13, 2018, 12:44:16 PM
...esp with the lack of any work being done to the depot atm...

Turns out something has started at the Woden Depot. I didn't get a close look, but an square shaped office block has been placed in close to the main gate.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Ok, maybe a question about an XLR input/output in the ceiling may be a little hard to answer, how about this instead:

Apart from Platforms 7, 10, 12 and I think 14, were there any other platform shelters at the Woden Bus Interchange that had doors? or did every shelter once upon a time have them?

Barry Drive

As in heated waiting rooms? Good question.

Have a look under the seats. You may find disconnected heaters. You should also be able to see the old door jambs.

Definitely 8 and 10. Probably 15, 12 & 4.

Belconnen and City Interchanges also had heated waiting rooms. Once.

Sylvan Loves Buses

If only those heaters still worked, would be another plus side to what makes a better bus interchange, esp cause of Canberra's freezing cold nights.

Bus 400

Platform 5 had a heater that worked, I recall spending many a winters afternoon waiting for the 62 in there.

As was the same in Belconnen, even just sitting in the shelters & closing the door helped to keep the wind & hus the cold out. It must be in the planning rules for Canberra that all bus stations must be in the coldest, windiest locations 🤤☃️😉

Sylvan Loves Buses

Must be, seeing how Dickson and the replacements of Belconnen have pretty much had that happen to them.

Another question:
At Tuggeranong between platforms 3 and 8, what is contained within
the panels on the inward side of the large pylons? As long as I've noticed they've always been locked.

Barry Drive

Good to see they've installed some proper bins at Woden Interchange rather than just exposed wheelie bins.

triumph

Canberra Museum + Gallery have an exhibition of photos and artistic works by Trevor Dickinson featuring the iconic concrete bus shelters designed in 1974 by Architect Clem Cummings.
The exhibition is in the upstairs Gallery space until 27th Jan, 2019.
The Museum (CMAG) is in the City next to Civic Library.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Just a fun little fact about the concrete bunker shelters for those who are interested.
I've tested this myself so far on three random shelters, and it seems that they're very resonant to a low and mid-range C# (138.6Hz and 277.2Hz) if you 'hum' or 'ooh' - loudly or softly doesn't matter. Even if you don't know where a C# is, just try humming sometime when you're in one and gradually increase/decrease pitch and you'll hear the magic!

Busfanatic101

The 3 sets of Ashley Dr stops have opened today, to be serviced by all passing routes

Sylvan Loves Buses

On my travels a couple weeks ago, I chanced upon a concrete bunker shelter that still has its windows intact. Couldn't believe it when I saw it. It's the first or second stop after the National Museum on the 7.

Whilst concrete shelters are on my mind, I'm rather perplexed and annoyed by the fact that both concrete shelters at Narrabundah College are being moved up the road and replaced by sh*tty ad-less-shel's. For how much money, time and  effort there is in moving those things, and for the fact whichever bus stop is getting them, wouldn't it be a better idea to put the crappy shelters in the stop that's getting them and leave the bunkers?

No wait, it's Transport Canberra, who am I kidding...

Sylvan Loves Buses

In light of the future of electric and hybrid buses we'll hopefully be getting. I was thinking about the overhead displays at the interchanges the other day. Although the plan to have all the old buses gone years ago has been moved to what they hope to be within the next few years, as every bus will by then have wheelchair accessibility, would there be any possibility that the wheelchair symbol will be replaced with a lightning symbol to indicate the approaching bus is electric or hybrid?

Busnerd

I doubt they would bother as it is useless information to the passenger, it is still a bus that will be low floor and have a bike rack, passengers won't care if it's electric or not (besides us!) it's not like they're going to sigh and wait for an electric bus instead of a diesel.

We did manage to get Next There to place a lightning bolt in their app for 710 & 711 whilst they were here, although that was to make it easier for us to find and ride/photograph.

triumph

Struck what I am told is a frequent problem, today.

On an inbound R3 about 9am at the point where buses leave the busway and cross Barry Drive into Kingsley St, it took at least 4 cycles of the traffic lights to cross into Kingsley.

The problem was caused by cars queueing to enter a parking facility further along Kingsley St and backing right up to Barry Drive. As soon as the queue moved forward more cars turning left or right from Barry Drive would fill the space. Eventually the queue happened to move forward just as the green arrow for the bus lane appeared and the driver was able to cross into Kingsley St. Then followed stop and go in the queue until Rimmer St was reached, with a total delay of around 10min.

The situation was so bad that quite a few buses (apparently advised by operations to do so) went past whilst we were waiting, by-passing Kingsley St, direct to Marcus Clarke St.. This, of course, meant that any potential passengers at the Rimmer St stop were also by-passed.

A large amount of public money was spent on providing the busway along Barry Drive to enable buses to avoid the morning congestion - an expenditure not delivering benefit due to a relative few vehicles blocking up Kingsley St and aggravated by the very poor traffic light sequencing at this point. (The lights favour general Barry Drive traffic with very long greens, with only a short period per cycle for the buses. Even off-peak, a near 2 min wait is common whilst the lights stay green for a few scattered vehicles in the rest of Barry Dr. Then pedestrian and side street traffic seem to get priority before the buses. Finally, when the buses do get a green, a fourth waiting bus back usually doesn't get a go and must wait the cycle round again.)

Buzz Killington

Presumably TC will be liaising with their roads counterparts on this, but it still may be worth you logging a request with access Canberra in your capacity as a public transport user to have the issue investigated.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Works on Athllon Drive today along the Phillip stretch. Could this mean work on the ****ing depot has finally begun?
It was certainly nice to ride Melrose Drive from a Tuggeranong Valley originating service again, ah brought back memories of the good old days when networks actually worked....

Also, passing the temporary Eastern Valley Way stop this evening I noticed quite a few with black strips over the times on the bollard, why are these routes blanked out?

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 20, 2019, 07:52:51 PMAlso, passing the temporary Eastern Valley Way stop this evening I noticed quite a few with black strips over the times on the bollard, why are these routes blanked out?

Routes 40-45 normally commence at stop 5520 (Eastern Valley/Emu), but due to the temporary stop being located south of Cameron Ave/Aikman Dr, these services currently commence at Belconnen Interchange.

triumph

A temporary portable amenities building has been installed and connected to services at the Fraser West Terminus. Don't know how long it has been there.

Buzz Killington

I guess the old one was a bit small given the increase in services

Sylvan Loves Buses

Wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on April 21, 2020, 02:13:49 AMWwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catch a route 80 sometime* and you'll find what you're missing.
The one opposite has been fenced off now, so say your goodbyes to that one too.

* - When you have an essential reason to do so (Bunker hunting doesn't count).

Sylvan Loves Buses

Bunkers are essential for trying to stay out of the rain or having a rest on a humid/hot day.

Barry Drive

Not if the entire stop is being removed.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh well, I'll just have to drown/melt all the way to Vosper Street then.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Omg they repainted Tuggeranong Interchange AGAIN... all I can say to the new colour is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stan butler

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 07, 2020, 10:19:53 AMOmg they repainted Tuggeranong Interchange AGAIN... all I can say to the new colour is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They've also installed bollards.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Like they needed to, the massive window displays have always been enough and you don't have to go to the other side to see the inaccurate as **** map...

triumph

Bus Shelter Book
The Canberra Times of 20/11/20 in the Private Capital page has a review of a book by Trevor Dickinson titled The Beautiful Bus Shelters of Canberra. Reported as 166 pages with hard cover. It is said to be available in local bookshops, but also direct at trevordickinson.com. Price was not given.

Busnerd

$50 as per the link you provided

triumph

The renovated Fraser West terminus has designated bus parking areas and idle time limits. Signage about this is displayed for 'bus operators' - use a 4 syllable word when the 2 syllable 'drivers' would suffice.

triumph

Matina St Terminus Narrabundah, Bundy Clock
Today's Canberra Times (print edition) in the Panorama Section at page 9, has an article headed 'End of the line for bus stop mystery'.
There is an image of a post with a metal crossbar. The article is about the original reason for this and it turns out it used to support a Bundy Clock which was used by bus conductors to 'clock' arrival and departures. As such the remains would be a rare relic from the very early days of Canberra urban bus services.

(There is a minor error in the article. It describes the terminus as 'former'. There still are a few rte 56 evening services terminating there.)

Toyota Camry

I have been advised by a colleague living in Duffy that the Chapman Terminus at Hindmarsh Dr is currently being upgraded to a bus station standard of facility; the new building is presently under construction.

Bus 400

While a DA has been previously released, a tender has gone out to replace the temporary drivers facilities at Fraser West Terminus. 

Nothing special, just 3 cubicles, but surprisingly, 2 for males & 1 for for females. TC staff will have to advise if separate loos are normal outside bis stations/depots.

Barry Drive

Well, that's technically true. The tender is to remove and replace the current driver's toilet/shelter at Fraser West and replace it with a (presumed) pre-fabricated toilet building.

Once the new building is in place, the Ausco portable toilet block can then be removed.

Interestingly, the new building will not include passenger seating, so they may need to install a new shelter as well.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on August 28, 2021, 11:35:29 AMInterestingly, the new building will not include passenger seating, so they may need to install a new shelter as well.

And why not actually be considerate of customers who need it frequently by providing a customer toilet.

In general, the lack of convenient facilities is a significant public transport/community shortcoming.
Yes, if you are aware, there are some in convenient private areas near some major stops but not signposted at the stops/bus stations. The single cubicle public toilet at the City Interchange, to say the least, is a disgrace. At Tuggeranong Bus Station it is a long walk to the facility inside the adjacent Mall which doesn't suit medium/short connections. Cooleman Court ditto. Belconnen Bus Interchange, Cohen St Interchange? Good luck.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: triumph on August 28, 2021, 10:19:08 PMAnd why not actually be considerate of customers who need it frequently by providing a customer toilet.

In general, the lack of convenient facilities is a significant public transport/community shortcoming.
Yes, if you are aware, there are some in convenient private areas near some major stops but not signposted at the stops/bus stations. The single cubicle public toilet at the City Interchange, to say the least, is a disgrace. At Tuggeranong Bus Station it is a long walk to the facility inside the adjacent Mall which doesn't suit medium/short connections. Cooleman Court ditto. Belconnen Bus Interchange, Cohen St Interchange? Good luck.
It is only drunk passengers that would be in urgent need to use a toilet at a bus interchange; these people should consider abstaining from alcohol, as I have done since 1994 after an incident in the nearby suburb of Seaview Downs to my original home of Hove in Adelaide prior to moving to Canberra, or utilising a ride sharing service instead. Other passengers will be able to utilise a bathroom at the office and/or shopping centre they have come from; hence there is no need for toilets to be provided at bus interchanges.

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on August 31, 2021, 09:15:41 PMIt is only drunk passengers that would be in urgent need to use a toilet at a bus interchange; these people should consider abstaining from alcohol, as I have done since 1994 after an incident in the nearby suburb of Seaview Downs to my original home of Hove in Adelaide prior to moving to Canberra, or utilising a ride sharing service instead. Other passengers will be able to utilise a bathroom at the office and/or shopping centre they have come from; hence there is no need for toilets to be provided at bus interchanges.

Have you ever been out shopping and got caught short?  Have you ever been out with a baby and had to quickly go somewhere to do a nappy change?  Are you aware that women sometimes have to quickly go somewhere to "sort things out" at specific times of the month?

Do you know that elderly people have weak bladders?  Have you ever felt bad after eating something that didn't sit well (ie kfc) and had to quickly go somewhere?

There are many reasons as to why some people may quickly have to go to the loo and that is why public toilets should be installed at many convenient and high pedestrian areas.

triumph

Quote from: Toyota Camry on August 31, 2021, 09:15:41 PMIt is only drunk passengers that would be in urgent need to use a toilet at a bus interchange; these people should consider abstaining from alcohol, as I have done since 1994 after an incident in the nearby suburb of Seaview Downs to my original home of Hove in Adelaide prior to moving to Canberra, or utilising a ride sharing service instead. Other passengers will be able to utilise a bathroom at the office and/or shopping centre they have come from; hence there is no need for toilets to be provided at bus interchanges.
Offensive. No, I am never drunk either. But I have experienced delays and missed connections due to urgent needs (despite being careful) at inconvenient moments. Attitudes like this are not at all helpful.

Stan Butler has indicated many issues that should have been considered in formulating your comment. It is suggested it might be helpful if you review the expectations applicable to EL2s in performance of their duties and review future comments in the light thereof.

Bus 400

So recently, a tender has been issued for a few more bus stop upgrades.
While some mention a "standard Roads ACT bolt down shelter" to be installed at a later date. I'm curious what the ACT standard shelter is now.

Of note is relocation of the bus stop & signs from Fraser West Terminus. With a bunker shelter to be relocated at a new stop just outside FWT near Dowthwaite Street. One would assume an upgrade of the stop at the other end is planned.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 20, 2021, 06:35:03 PMWhile a DA has been previously released, a tender has gone out to replace the drivers facilities at Fraser West Terminus.
A contract has been awarded. Work is to commence shortly and is expected to be completed after 10 weeks.

Not sure what they will do before the new stop as mentioned above is installed, even though not many people catch buses from Fraser West.

Bent sign

Maybe the wrong place to put this, but why not swap the Giles Street Kingston shops bus stop (south bound) down to the taxi rank?
You could swap taxi rank with current bus stop as the rank is dead now that Supabarn have moved. The current taxi rank is located on Giles Str near Jardine Street with the current Kingston bus stop is at the 'dead' part of the shops, and with the next stop within viewing distance from the current Kingston shop bus stop.
Just my two cents worth.

Bus 400

The thing to consider is the pedestrian crossing. The latest plan is to have the crossing behind the bus stop. To not encourage people running in front of the bus. But also to avoid drivers screaming around the bus.

But the current location also allows for buses to just drive away.

Barry Drive

The new Park & Ride at Well Station Drive, Mitchell Kenny opened this week.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Does anyone know when the gates at Tuggeranong Interchange were last opened and regularly used and also why they've never been used since?

narc855

I think that gate is for emergency use only because you can't see any give way/stop lines marked on the ground. The opening of that gate would then create a big mass of traffic. (Consider Pitman Street as a left-hand driving road and Cowlishaw Street as a normal right-hand driving system, you will know why there'll be a mass)
However, I am new to Canberra so I would leave this question to old guys.

Barry Drive

The two metal shelters on Gundaroo Drive at Chuculba Cres have been removed due to the upcoming road duplication works.

One of them has been installed at Hardwick Cres 4860 (near Caltex). Any sightings of the other one appreciated.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 13, 2021, 11:25:00 AMNot sure what they will do before the new stop as mentioned above is installed, even though not many people catch buses from Fraser West.
To answer my own question: work on the new stop location has commenced. Presumably they were waiting for this before removing the amenities building.

I believe that although new stop is designed to include a bunker shelter in the future, only a bench seat will be installed.

There is no sign of the other stop (4932) being upgraded, but since 3 routes technically commence from there it should have at least a bench seat.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 20, 2021, 06:35:03 PMWhile a DA has been previously released, a tender has gone out to replace the temporary drivers facilities at Fraser West Terminus.
And work to remove the old building commenced this week. (If you regard installing temporary fencing as "commencing".)

Barry Drive

In case anyone still cares, the new pre-fabricated building was delivered to Fraser West on Wednesday (10 Aug).

Sylvan Loves Buses

The exposed seats at Tuggeranong Interchange have had a new paint job, now flashing a bright yellow - the shelter seats and other repainted framework is still the grey.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 13, 2021, 11:25:00 AMWork is to commence shortly and is expected to be completed after 10 weeks.
10 weeks ... and the rest.

Anyway, it has been reported that the new Fraser West terminus drivers' facilities were opened yesterday. Now to see how long until the "temporary" building is removed.

King of Buses

Can't recall if there's a Woden Interchange dedicated thread somewhere. But Woden Interchange closed this evening.

The final departure was a route R4 to Tuggeranong at 2141, operated by BUS376.

The final service altogether was a terminating route 65 to Woden, arriving at 2154, operated by BUS384.

Kudos to whoever planned the double matching Gas MANs! ;)

triumph

From Transport Canberra Newsletter today
"The ACT Government has engaged Evoenergy to undertake electrical infrastructure works at Woden and Tuggeranong bus depots so they can house up to 300 battery electric buses.

With the first of Canberra's 12 electric buses now on the road, Transport Canberra is continuing the transition to a cleaner, more sustainable future by building the infrastructure we need to power a zero-emissions public transport fleet.

The installation of high voltage cables, which will span 11.9 kilometres, will support the new Woden bus depot with capacity to charge up to 100 buses and upgrade Tuggeranong depot to charge up to 200 buses.

Procurement is also underway for a further 90 electric buses as we transition to a fully electric bus fleet by 2040.

In the short term, internal electric works at the Tuggeranong and Belconnen bus depots will increase electrical capacity to enable more flexible charging arrangements."

This is one of the major costs in switching to an electric fleet. The supply has to be strengthened all the way back to the substation! Compare also with the multiple installations necessary to supply Light Rail power (though voltage conversion, reducing transmission loss, peak demands from acceleration of vehicles, and redundancy are also relevant to the arrangements).

Apparently this is also apparently a major constraint on the gas bus fleet size - it is said the gas network pressure could not be sustained for the refuelling at night of a larger fleet.

(This is likely to become a more general electricity local grid/retail network issue as more and more electric vehicles and other equipment is deployed to reduce carbon emissions. Fast chargers make it worse as they have higher current demands. In rural towns this could be a very difficult situation with potential, at least initially, to severely limit the number of fast chargers that can be simultaneously used/deployed.)

Barry Drive

The Media Release from A Barr and C Steel gives a little more detail:

QuoteThis work involves augmentation of Evoenergy's electrical distribution network by connecting two bus depots, via two new 11 kV dedicated underground feeders from Evoenergy's Wanniassa Zone substation, to help manage maximum demand of up to 12.2MVA at Tuggeranong and 5.1MVA at Woden.

$26.3 million over three financial years will be invested to complete these critical electrical infrastructure works and will ultimately provide the depots with the energy required to charge and operate up to 300 battery electric buses.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I presume that each depot will also need a new substation.

A certain opposition transport spokes-idiotperson has made the claim that his party will "deliver electric buses quicker than Labor". This is despite there not being any suitable depots to house or charge them at. So even without having to wait for Woden Depot to be built, it may still take three years for Tuggeranong Depot to have a suitable power supply to support charging more than 12 electric buses.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Oh so that's why I keep getting brownouts at night, cuz they're charging the bloody electric buses...

triumph

Wow, standby to receive, when they get a few more up and running.....

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on March 07, 2022, 11:16:22 AMThe two metal shelters on Gundaroo Drive at Chuculba Cres have been removed due to the upcoming road duplication works.

One of them has been installed at Hardwick Cres 4860 (near Caltex). Any sightings of the other one appreciated.
*cough* Ampol.

Might have found the other one. Stop 2135 on Renmark St has a recently relocated metal shelter. Google streetview only has a 13 year old photo of an aluminium shelter at that location.

triumph

City West layover was ostensibly fully replaced by Turner Layover with the new 30/1/23 Time Table - yet there was an Action bus in the City West layover mid afternoon today!

Some changes along John Gorton Drive noted today.

Frames for shelters (no seats or glass as yet) have been installed at stops 2839 and 2837. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with shelter design to know what make these are. These are the first two stops for Route R10 on the inward after turning on to John Gorton Drive.

Bus stop flags have been installed at stops 2738 and 2838 for Route 47. These are the stops on John Gorton Drive between   the turns out of Denman Prospect and Whitlam. I believe the stops have been active for this route since its commencement however there were no flags until now, just pads and Bus Zone signs.

Barry Drive

I noticed those shelters, but wasn't sure if they were new. Further south there are R10 stops which actually have decent patronage that still don't even have seats, so why those two stops are getting shelters is questionable.

I believe they are Stoddart "classic" shelters, which are the RoadsACT standard shelter.

Northside

I wonder if Capital Airport Group have paid for them. The shelters on Holborow went up long before they even had passengers. The stops on John Gorton that receive larger passenger numbers are located in Coombs/Wright. Coincidence??