ACT Government to fund SSM Yes campaign

Started by Barry Drive, August 17, 2017, 02:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

"Mr Barr said he wanted buses and flagpoles in Canberra to be turned into symbols of support for same-sex marriage." (ABC Canberra)

My only objection to this is the question of political advertising on buses. Sure, it won't be party-political, since it originates from the Legislative Assembly, but even so is this setting a dangerous precedent?

Discuss.

triumph

It is not only ssm.

There are buses with a political advert from a group opposed to live animal exports. I complained about this on the basis that accepting such adverts for the Government's bus fleet implied endorsement of the sentiment expressed in the advert, and asked if the Government was officially opposed to live exports? The reply, in effect, was that it was a 3rd party ad which met standards for accepting an ad. Not said was the inference that withdrawing the ad might create a counter-productive response from the proponents and therefore best not rock the boat.

My view is that the only controversial ads by the Government should be for matters endorsed by the Assembly. Straight out political ads should not be accepted (including the live animal export issue), and if, perchance, are, then should be paid for at the ordinary rates applicable by the parties concerned and not from the public purse.

That said, I express no opinion here on SSM.

Bus 400

Besides the fact a yes vote directly works in favor of atleast 2 ACT Labour Ministers. I'd prefer to see a ban on ads from both sides.

But as people are passionate about their views, whats to stop seeing buses in service sprayed over with graffiti?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

A further update. ACT Legislative Assembly has approved this measure.

"buses are owned and operated by the ACT government. They are routinely wrapped and in this case a 'rainbow CBR' design consistent with existing city branding will be used." (The Canberra Times)

It will really depend on what the design is. I would prefer a generic CBR-brand wrap rather than something which is actively promoting a Yes vote. And Bus 508 desperately needs a new AOA.