Beaches and Trails Part 1

Started by Bus 503, December 22, 2015, 09:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 503

Hello people,

Here are some photos from my trip to the NSW coast.
I'm also thinking about buying a (proper) camera. The price range is $200-$350. If you have any suggestions they'd be appreciated!
Feedback is welcome.
These photos were taken with an iPad and are part 1 of a 2 part series of photos. Part 2 will be posted tomorrow.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Those would look real nice in a calender :D

Busnerd

Good quality photos from an ipad!

Buzz Killington

Agreed. Well done 503!

But yes, definitely get a proper camera. I'll let others recommend because I have no idea!

Snorzac

Personally.....id save up a but more and go for an entry level SLR such as the canon EOS1200D.....theys about $400 new i think, theyre basic but youll achieve much better results overall.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Busfanatic101

Bus 503, I just bought myself another camera (still slowly making its way through melbourne... Christmas shipping slowness), so there.

You can get some pretty decent bridge cameras (which fill the gap between compact and DSLR) for that price. They offer the level of control close to a DSLR. While image quality is lower than what you'd get from a DSLR, you still get some pretty decent results, more than good enough for the majority of people. I wouldn't go for a DSLR until you are certain that you really want to get into proper photography.

I guess the question is what you want from your camera. Are you the sort of person who like having full control over your camera and adjusting settings or would you just photograph on auto mode?
What sort of things would you be photographing mostly?

Btw, those photos are pretty good, I wouldn't have known they had come out of an ipad

Bus 503

Quote from: #Domelight Drew on December 23, 2015, 10:30:22 AM
Personally.....id save up a but more and go for an entry level SLR such as the canon EOS1200D.....theys about $400 new i think, theyre basic but youll achieve much better results overall.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I'll have a look for a bit more info on that camera.

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on December 23, 2015, 11:34:01 AM
Bus 503, I just bought myself another camera (still slowly making its way through melbourne... Christmas shipping slowness), so there.

You can get some pretty decent bridge cameras (which fill the gap between compact and DSLR) for that price. They offer the level of control close to a DSLR. While image quality is lower than what you'd get from a DSLR, you still get some pretty decent results, more than good enough for the majority of people. I wouldn't go for a DSLR until you are certain that you really want to get into proper photography.

I guess the question is what you want from your camera. Are you the sort of person who like having full control over your camera and adjusting settings or would you just photograph on auto mode?
What sort of things would you be photographing mostly?

Btw, those photos are pretty good, I wouldn't have known they had come out of an ipad

I only want a camera which is better then my iPad, and can take night photos.

The sort of things I'd be photographing would be buses, nature, beaches - that kind of thing.

Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated. :)

Part 2 is now out. Hope you enjoy.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Bus 503 on December 23, 2015, 12:53:11 PM
I only want a camera which is better then my iPad, and can take night photos.

The sort of things I'd be photographing would be buses, nature, beaches - that kind of thing.

That is a pretty broad and general range of photography, without any specific features that you would need to look for. If it is going to be spending lots of time at the beach with the risk of coming into contact with water and sand, you may need to consider those waterproof weatherproof cameras. Otherwise, both Nikon and Canon at least make nice cameras, although you won't be able to get the better cameras with your budget. Remember, a tripod is crucial if you are considering night photography

Bus 503

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on December 23, 2015, 01:59:06 PM
That is a pretty broad and general range of photography, without any specific features that you would need to look for. If it is going to be spending lots of time at the beach with the risk of coming into contact with water and sand, you may need to consider those waterproof weatherproof cameras. Otherwise, both Nikon and Canon at least make nice cameras, although you won't be able to get the better cameras with your budget. Remember, a tripod is crucial if you are considering night photography

Sorry that I didn't explain properly. The type of photography I'd be looking into would be out at the beach, but only for short periods of time and not photos where my camera/iPad would get in the water or that would ruin it(!), trees/leaves where you can find just about anywhere, and buses and trams (obviously.)

Bus 400

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on December 23, 2015, 01:59:06 PM
Remember, a tripod is crucial if you are considering night photography

My Canon EOS70D has a handheld night setting & takes lovely night time photos without a tripod. The below photo is one I was testing.

I'm more into my landscapes & wide angle shots. So I can't say a lot "arty photos", but occasionally I've tried close up photos of flowers in my garden & product damage (for work). My S5 camera (when it plays ball) does just a good job as my DSLR.