Recent posts

Fleet / Re: Bus procurement after 2020
Last post by Barry Drive - Yesterday at 12:45:04 PM
Quote from: Barry Drive on November 15, 2022, 11:05:45 AMContract term is for one year, plus two options to extend for two further years (although that can probably also be varied).
With the "Media Launch" this week for Bus 800, there was new information about the length of the Yutong lease. So I had another look at the contract:

Schedule 1 (Contract Details), Item 2 (Term) states:
QuoteFrom the date of this Agreement until 365 calendar days after the Date of Acceptance of the last Bus deliverable under the terms of this Agreement.

The Territory may, in its absolute discretion, extend the Agreement for up to 2 periods, each of 1 year.

And the online ACT Government Contract Register shows the Expiry Date as 15 Feb 2024, although contracts can be varied at any time before the Expiry Date.

HOWEVER ... a lot further into the published contract is Schedule 6 - the Lease Schedule which details how the lease payments are calculated:
QuoteN = 60 being the number of months for the Lease

The Riotact reports that a five-year lease was chosen, and The Canberra Times reports that the buses are being leased for up to 7 years.

If this is actually the case, is the online contract wrong (or out of date)? Or did someone just "miss" updating the contract length in Schedule 1?

Also, stay tuned. There may be news about the BusTech Scanias in coming weeks.
Fleet / Re: 12 Yutongs
Last post by Snorzac - January 26, 2023, 08:14:14 PM
800 operated one route 76 yesterday, it is expected that it will likely be in service for morning peak tomorrow before resuming driver training duties, it could be expected that the second one to be ready (I think BUS808 going off the wiki) would be in service on Monday
Fleet / Re: 12 Yutongs
Last post by triumph - January 26, 2023, 07:11:48 PM
Item in TC News section of their website, dated yesterday:

'Canberra's bus passengers are transporting into the future!

The ACT's first permanent electric bus has hit the road, with passengers to experience a quieter and more comfortable bus journey.

This is an important milestone for our city, as we move towards a completely zero emissions public transport network that is powered by 100% renewable electricity by 2040 or earlier.

If the electric bus isn't on your route, you will get your chance to catch one soon - 11 more battery electric buses will begin operations across Canberra in the coming weeks and procurement to purchase 90 more is underway!

26 fully compliant low-emissions diesel buses are expected to join the crew by mid-2023. In the interim the use of old Renault diesel buses will be minimised as much as possible on the route bus network.

For more info on the ACT Government's Zero-Emission Transition Plan, visit Zero-Emission Transition Plan For Transport Canberra.'

"..has hit the road..." So, can this be taken literally as in service or is it just puffery around an official showing? Any sightings in service yet?
 It seems quite clear that TC anticipates a half year delay for the 'low emission' diesel buses, and that some use of the PR2s will continue though dwindling until then too.
Given the route service minimisation, there is a strong possibility that the final usage will be for School (or perhaps even event) services, with disappearance from route service indeterminate. Hopefully TC might organise a formal last day of use in a route service, but given their continued use must be an embarassment, I am not holding my breath.
Fleet / Re: Renaults a go go: the fina...
Last post by Barry Drive - January 26, 2023, 01:03:32 PM
Quote from: 743 on January 26, 2023, 08:40:33 AM
QuoteIn the interim the use of old Renault diesel buses will be minimised as much as possible on the route bus network.

That's interesting. The minister's media release ( https://www.actbus.net/travel-the-electric-way-on-canberras-first-zero-emissions-bus/ ) said this:

Quote... unfortunately the old orange Renault diesel buses will continue to be used on the bus network for a short period to maintain services for the community until the replacement buses arrive.
No mention of "minimising use".

Also, "a short period" will probably be six months (if not longer). There is still no indication of when we'll see the first leased Scania, nor how long it will take to put all 26 into service.

But the PR100.2s will definitely be in service on Monday when school resumes. How many will be in use is the only unknown.
Last post by Sylvan Loves Buses - January 26, 2023, 11:33:06 AM
The media thing was yesterday? god damnit, I was out yesterday too...
Last post by 743 - January 26, 2023, 08:40:33 AM
https://www.transport.act.gov.au/news/news-and-events-items/january-2023/travel-the-electric-way-on-canberras-first-zero-emissions-bus

QuoteIn the interim the use of old Renault diesel buses will be minimised as much as possible on the route bus network.

Another acknowledgement that we'll continue to see the Renaults...for now.
General Discussion / Re: ACTION Logo
Last post by Sylvan Loves Buses - January 25, 2023, 10:30:52 PM
Welp whatever, too late now. Was rather hoping for my thing to be historically accurate.

On the other hand during my search I found a reference to something on ArchivesACT called 'Australian Capital Territory Internal Omnibus Network' - interestingly dated 1974. Dunno how big it is, but I have requested to read it. Will the logo font be mentioned? Who knows, but I'm thinking it should be an interesting read regardless.
Infrastructure / Re: Bus Stop Modifications
Last post by Northside - January 25, 2023, 12:56:16 PM
Ive noticed 2 new pairs of bus stops are in the process of being added to route 66 to plug some of the large distances between stops. Looks like they will be ready for the Jan timetable update. Stops are located at:

- Annabelle View, near the corner of Ken Tribe St (I think), Coombs
- Coaldrake Ave near Kondelea WY, Denman Prospect
Fleet / Re: Bus Discussion (2019-)
Last post by triumph - January 24, 2023, 08:21:36 AM
According to a news item in Canberra Times, there was a car/bus collision in Drakeford Dr at Hurtle Ave Bonython late yesterday afternoon. The accompanying photo shows the bus involved was 693.
The item said the road would likely be closed for hours and 2 people treated with no severe injuries reported (yet). Images show a P plater was involved. The bus ended up on a lane through the median.   
General Discussion / Re: ACTION Logo
Last post by Sylvan Loves Buses - January 23, 2023, 03:18:30 PM
Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on January 23, 2023, 03:17:35 PM(part from the intertown on the artics
My keyboard is annoying, that's suppose to say 'apart' from the intertown...