My house under construction - Very early 1980's

Started by Sir Pompously, September 27, 2009, 03:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

Sorting through some old photos while mum and dad are away visting the family in Scotland, I Stumbled upon some photos of our house being constructed. More than likely these photos would be 1980 or 1981, when Monash was about as south as it got. I can't at this time find any photos facing out onto the main road, however in the photo you will see Isabella Drive is absent (Including the overpass which today I can see clearly through the other houses).

Looking towards what is now Isabella Plains and where now I can see Bonython

A Similar view today

Looking towwards what I would say would be Calwell and Ashley Drive, now all I can see is Native trees and someone else's house

A Similar view today

The house I know now, you can see Clive Steele (Sort of) and the hill in the background (Wish Mum and Dad got a few more photos facing out from the front of the house

smitho

Very interesting thanks, Sir P.

You forget how bare south Tuggeranong was in those days - it makes the power lines stand out.. I'm surprised they hadn't gone over to underground electricity lines by that stage.

lukeo25

it looks very different without the lake, alll it was then was the creek!!!

Bus 400

Quote from: smitho on September 27, 2009, 06:34:37 PM
You forget how bare south Tuggeranong was in those days - it makes the power lines stand out.. I'm surprised they hadn't gone over to underground electricity lines by that stage.

Quite interesting pictures there. When my mother moved down to Kambah from the Blue Mountains in the late 70's she was about how old I am now & hated it in Kambah as is was still sheep paddocks where Wanniassa down now stand. But on the power line issue, I have been told that in the 70's they were putting electricity underground in the Blue Mountains.

Sir Pompously

Basically, the powerlines seen are about it. I think Isabella may have powerlines, but that would be I think the last Tuggeranong suburb. The lines seen in the picture are about the extent of lines on this side of Monash, which extends to the Corlette Cres round-a-bout (From then on it is underground). I was speaking to the folks about the plan to pay a little extra to get the lines sunk underground, and they are all for it (So am I). So I hope ActewAGL will get up and follow through.