Renaults at Canberra Airport

Started by Toyota Camry, June 05, 2019, 04:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toyota Camry

932 is currently operating an R3; this may be the first time in history that a Renault has made it to the Canberra Airport terminal.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Except for the fact that the 80 in network '98 likely had Renault's on it.

King of Buses

Quote from: Toyota Camry on June 05, 2019, 04:52:14 PM932 is currently operating an R3; this may be the first time in history that a Renault has made it to the Canberra Airport terminal.

A few made it there last year on 11As. 935 and 911 from memory definitely did.

Busnerd

Yep, used to see them running all the time on the old Airport route back in the late 90's

Toyota Camry

Canberra Airport was an unrecognisably different place in that era; it was a long single level building, with separate terminals for Qantas and Ansett. Aside from the name, it had extremely little in common with the present Canberra Airport; if a photo was posted of a Renault at "Canberra Airport" in the 1990s, it would not be recognised by members of this site. It would be recognised by myself however; as I relocated permanently to Canberra from the Adelaide suburb of Hove in 1995, after reviving an APS3 job offer from a Commonwealth Department, therefore placing myself in Canberra at the time.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Toyota Camry on June 06, 2019, 02:10:24 PMif a photo was posted of a Renault at "Canberra Airport" in the 1990s, it would not be recognised by members of this site.

Considering the average age of the most active users (mostly the admins) of this site, this statement is a little flawed.

Busnerd

The fact the Airport terminal and surrounding roads have been rebuilt and changed over the years doesn't mean Renault's didn't service the airport, they have been there before and are still in use today with the new terminal, as per your report, they still occasionally service the location. Not sure how your job and rental history is relevant to the Bus Discussion thread though.

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on June 06, 2019, 02:10:24 PMif a photo was posted of a Renault at "Canberra Airport" in the 1990s, it would not be recognised by members of this site. It would be recognised by myself however; as I relocated permanently to Canberra from the Adelaide suburb of Hove in 1995, after reviving an APS3 job offer from a Commonwealth Department, therefore placing myself in Canberra at the time.

I m really dumbfounded as to how you can make those claims.  Are you privy to the ages and occupations on all who use this site? Does coming from Hove give you some type of special talent and knowledge that is beyond other people on this site?

BTW i've Been in Canberra longer then you and I am not an APS3 - but I was an EL1 and an EL2 and thankfully I am away from that BS now.  The best thing I did was to leave the APS.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 05, 2019, 06:14:46 PMExcept for the fact that the 80 in network '98 likely had Renaults on it.
Yep. I remember catching an 80 to the Airport in 1998. What I can't remember is which bus type it was. While statistically it was likely to be a Renault, in 1998 there were still Mercedes O.305s in service so it could have been one of them.

And a bit further off topic, I can recall catching a Route 304 to Fairbairn RAAF base back when that ran (1980s??)

Quote from: Toyota Camry on June 06, 2019, 02:10:24 PMif a photo was posted of a Renault at "Canberra Airport" in the 1990s, it would not be recognised by members of this site. It would be recognised by myself however;
^ The above statement is contradictory.

And I would certainly recognise it. In fact I would be more likely to recognise the "old" Canberra Airport than the new one.