All door boarding and disembarking

Started by Busfanatic101, March 27, 2017, 07:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busfanatic101

It's Official. The title is a little misleading

QuoteRear door exiting and boarding - all services

[/size]Commencing Monday 27 March 2017

A trial of rear door exits has been occurring across Red Rapid  services.  This trial has proven to be a success and as a result effective  Monday 27 March 2017 customers can now exit the bus using the rear door at all  stops on all services.

Using MyWay? Tap off using the front or rear door  MyWay card reader as you get off the bus.

Customers are encouraged to make use of the rear doors where  possible to help speed up travel times.

All door boarding

MyWay customers will be able to board from the front and rear  doors at major bus stops and stations and at all Rapid stops.

A reminder that Transport Officer checks of MyWay and cash tickets  are being conducted across the bus network. You are required to show your MyWay  card, cash ticket and proof of any concession on request. Failure to do so  could result in a warning notice or fine.

More information call 13 17 10.
http://www.transport.act.gov.au/news-and-events/items/march-2017/rear-door-exiting-and-boarding-all-services

the last 2 posts in the Route/timetable discussion thread may be better moved here please :)

verbatim9

^^Thats great thanks for the info shared with the Brisbane Transport forums. All door boarding has proven to work with prepaid smart cards. It's great that Act is setting a good example for the rest of the country.   [emoji106]

Bus 503

There was a sign on 510 today on top of the front MyWay reader which said something about rear door boarding being suspended (didn't get a good look). There were still people boarding from the rear today in the City but I heard one driver telling everyone who got on from the rear door to use the front door next time. I have noticed that following the introduction of the new network, many drivers haven't been opening their rear doors for boarding.

Barry Drive

All mention of rear door boarding has been removed from Bus Stations, NXTBUS displays and the TC website.

There have been many mentions of this on Twitter and Facebook, yet Transport Canberra have not replied nor issued any formal announcement about the change to this policy.

From my experience, some drivers have also stopped rear door alighting while others continue to allow it.

Bus 503

Noticed that buses are having a TC logo applied to the rear door where the 'no entry' sign was previously. Also, 415 and 445 don't have either a 'no entry' sign or a TC logo on their rear door.

Does anyone why rear door boarding has stopped? I noticed that in the City Bus Station, drivers beginning shifts from there never open their rear doors anymore.

Stan butler

Quote from: Bus 503 on November 17, 2017, 05:59:45 PM

Does anyone why rear door boarding has stopped? I noticed that in the City Bus Station, drivers beginning shifts from there never open their rear doors anymore.

I think it was because too many people were sneaking on and not tagging on.  Bus drivers couldn't check them. 

triumph

There has been no official announcements (as yet). On that basis, it seems that TC and the Minister still have a policy of rear door boarding!

One driver indicated to me that rear door boarding had resulted in complaints concerning the door being shut on people boarding or about to board. Did dsicipline or administrative fuss follow? This happened to me - I had grasped the door hand rail and was stepping up when it started to close thus losing the steadying effect of the hand rail and nearly losing my balance. I didn't complain, though perhaps I should have.

I now notice that many drivers close the rear door the instant the last alighting passenger gets off, which indicates that there is a good easy view available. Some also 'address' passengers who manage to board through the rear door. This 'suspension' of rear door boarding smells to me of it being declared 'black' and not a TC decision.

Whatever, it is a retrograde step with particular impacts on time keeping, and moving along the bus to the front to get off when congested with standing passengers and childrens' prams. This is particularly significant in the larger tag steer and articulated buses. 

triumph

It seems odd that TC would remove the 'No Entry' signage on the buses rear door, if the policy of rear door boarding was to be discarded. Have noticed in the last day or so that the rear door is now often left open for boarding and drivers seem more relaxed about it.

Bus 503

TC have posted this on their website:
QuoteRear door exiting and boarding

Effective Monday 20 November 2017 customers can now exit the bus using the rear door at all stops on all services where safe to do so.

Using MyWay? Tap off using the front or rear door MyWay card reader as you get off the bus.

Customers are encouraged to make use of the rear doors where possible to help speed up travel times.

All door boarding (MyWay)

MyWay customers are now able to use rear doors for boarding at bus interchanges and major stations including:
•Gungahlin Bus Station
•Belconnen Bus Station
•Cohen Bus Station
•Belconnen Community Centre Bus Station
•Kippax Bus Station
•City Bus Station
•Barton Bus Station
•Dickson Interchange
•Woden Bus Station
•Erindale Bus Station
•Tuggeranong Bus Station

Please be advised that if you are paying cash or carrying bulky goods, you will still need to use the front door even at bus interchanges and major stations.

A reminder that Transport Officer checks of MyWay and cash tickets are being conducted across the bus network. You are required to show your MyWay card, cash ticket and proof of any concession on request. Failure to do so could result in a warning notice or fine.

More information call 13 17 10.
https://www.transport.act.gov.au/news-and-events/items/november-2017/rear-door-exiting-and-boarding