Integrated Bus/LR Ticketing

Started by Busfanatic101, September 16, 2017, 09:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busfanatic101

Transport Canberra starts search for MyWay replacement
Katie Burgess

Your MyWay card may soon be redundant as the ACT moves to allow passengers to pay by credit card or smartphone.
Transport Canberra have begun looking for a replacement ticketing system for ACTION buses to link in with light rail when it starts running in late 2018.
A call for expressions of interest on Friday showed the territory government wants to move from stored value cards to an account-based ticketing system.
The move was foreshadowed by transport minister Meegan Fitzharris in July, and was informed by her $67,000 US and Canada study tour.
The MyWay contract expires next year and the government set aside $7.9 million in the June budget to develop a new ticketing system that would work across the light rail and bus systems.
Documents showed the territory government is after a system that will allow both open and closed loop payments, payments via debit and credit cards, and via smartphones.
They are hoping for a product that can lead to a single interface as the technology "matures", where passengers can create and manage an account, buy a ticket, plan their trip and provide notifications and alerts.
The system will have to allow real time and continuous monitoring and be flexible to allow fares to be changed when needed.
It will need to be easy to use for customers and minimise boarding and alighting times by providing a speedy transaction.
To stop fare evasion, it would need to ensure a passenger had a validated card, device or token when they hopped on the bus or light rail carriage.
It must have tight security and anti-fraud processes, such as a fraud engine to scans all transactions and discover anomalies.
The ticketing system would have a tenure of 10 years, although some parts may have a shorter term.
It would also need to be extendable, with the potential to be used for park and ride facilities, taxis, bike shares and library services.
However it would also need to be cost-effective, and "evolutionary rather than revolutionary".
There were more than 490,000 active MyWay cards in Canberra in the past year.
More than 18.3 million journeys were taken on ACTION buses in the year to July.
Requests for proposals will be circulated in December, with final offers made next April and the contract awarded in May 2018.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/transport-canberra-starts-search-for-myway-replacement-20170914-gyhzqg.html

Sylvan Loves Buses

I man great the My Way thing is getting scrapped - never liked it anyway

but, the new system is gonna suck completely for those who still like handling money such as myself >:(

Buzz Killington

There's nothing there to indicate cash payments won't be accepted.

That said, it would be great to see them scrapped. Boarding times would come right down.

triumph

The quoted item from the Canberra Times mentions about 490,000 active MyWay cards. The ACT population is almost 400,000.

Not everybody has a card, but on the other hand cards would be on issue to some nearby NSW residents and to some visitors to Canberra. Even taking the latter aspects into acoount, it still seems amazing that active cards exceeds the popoulation of the ACT by almost a 1/4.

Could it be that folk mislay cards and simply get another, thus several nominally active cards are attributable to one user? Which begs the question, when is a card (not reported lost, stolen, or handed in, etc) deemed to be inactive?

Sylvan Loves Buses

I have noticed many people own more than 1 MyWay/TC card, so that could be a factor.

Bus 400

Quote from: triumph on September 16, 2017, 08:48:59 PM
Which begs the question, when is a card (not reported lost, stolen, or handed in, etc) deemed to be inactive?

2 years after last transaction.

Including spares, there are plans for 35 ticket vending machines & 80 light rail validators on platforms. Depending on where these TVM's are located, this do away with cash fares on the upcoming 509 buses.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 16, 2017, 10:06:27 PM
Including spares, there are plans for 35 ticket vending machines & 80 light rail validators on platforms. Depending on where these TVM's are located, this do away with cash fares on the upcoming 509 buses.

Where did 509 come from?

Busnerd

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on September 16, 2017, 09:44:10 PM
I have noticed many people own more than 1 MyWay/TC card, so that could be a factor.

I have two cards myself, one yellow & blue one and a TC one. Other visitors to the capital may buy a card for their stay, others may lose or misplace their card and buy a new one, plenty of reasons why. As long as the numbers are high it's a good thing, means people are using the service/spending money.

Bus 400

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on September 17, 2017, 07:18:21 AM

Where did 509 come from?
Within in the tender is mention of an additional 80 buses in the next 3 years, on top of the 429 we currently have.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk