What PT did you get today? (2019-)

Started by King of Buses, January 01, 2019, 12:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumph

??? (R3) (Forgot to write it down at the time)
674 (R2)
458 (R2)
722 (R3)

lukeo25

L94UBbusfan

Yesterday (17/7/24)

723 (30)

Today (18/7/24)

457 (26)
012 (R1)
642 (R4)
603 (R4)
527 (71)
807 (65)
354 (R4)
482 (R4)
653 (R8)
428 (26)

Lots of learner drivers out this morning (none of the designated trainer buses though  :-\ ) . I also saw 318 on an R7 (which I think is uncommon) this morning in the city.

Snorzac

I'm sure I explained it here at some point but the actual training buses are only used for initial training/assessment and licensing upgrades, all formal training is done in buses which are in service as drivers need to be familiarised with each type of bus.

To keep on topic
Today-

Barry Drive

Quote from: L94UBbusfan on July 18, 2024, 06:28:00 PMLots of learner drivers out this morning (none of the designated trainer buses though
In addition: they're only "learner drivers" if the bus is showing actual L plates. (When drivers are upgrading to articulated buses they must also display L plates when receiving training and being assessed.)

If the bus is displaying "Driver Training", but there are no L plates then the driver holds a license to drive the bus, but is undergoing familiarisation training.

triumph

Quote from: Barry Drive on July 18, 2024, 10:23:19 PMIn addition: they're only "learner drivers" if the bus is showing actual L plates. (When drivers are upgrading to articulated buses they must also display L plates when receiving training and being assessed.)

If the bus is displaying "Driver Training", but there are no L plates then the driver holds a license to drive the bus, but is undergoing familiarisation training.

Expanding, most of the fleet are 2 axle buses requiring a medium rigid (MR) licence.
Buses in the fleet with 3 or more axles require a heavy rigid licence. Interestingly, the articulated buses are classed in the heavy rigid group.
It follows that upgrading a licence to HR would require L display on both steer-tag and articulated buses used for training. L plates on an articulated bus would not be necessary for familiarisation of a driver transferring from steer-tag driving, or who otherwise already holds an HR, or higher, licence.
A nuisance factor for licence upgrades for those only intending to be bus drivers, is that they must become familiar with a lot of knowledge relevant to freight type vehicles (caveat - unless TC has arranged for the licencing to include limitations).
(Licence class details can be found in an appropriate Access Canberra web site.)

L94UBbusfan

Thanks for the extra information surrounding training buses. Especially interesting regarding the different licenses for rigid groups. I saw many different types of buses around yesterday, I saw 320, 589, a bustech Scania and a MAN diesel, none had L plates though, meaning they are undergoing familiarisation, instead of actual learning how to drive a bus. I was mainly surprised about the quantity of buses out, but it makes sense since its school holidays and less buses are required.