Spotting at Canberra Airport 27/01/10

Started by Snorzac, January 27, 2010, 11:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorzac

Went out to the airport once again this afternoon for a bit more spotting, a few interesting ones in this afternoon including Strategics YQA and Virgins VUA and ZPM. A long with the regular 734s and E Jets. This afternoon was one of the busiest days I have ever seen t Canberra airport with at one stage 12 commercial aircraft were on the ground causing a bank up for Virgin Blue as they only have three spaces and there was four on the ground.

A bit of a surprise seeing this one come in, not one I was expecting. Strategics VH-YQA 'The Kimberly' about to touch down.

VH-ZHE, 'Bee Bop-a Blue' taxis for departure on runway 35

737-800 VH-VUA 'Bondi Babe' follows closely behind.

VH-ZPI 'Allie Albury' gets going.

'The Kimberly' departs after a short stop, taxiing to runway 35

YQA heading onto taxiway November.

VH-TJL 'Swift' ready to depart, taxiing to runway 35

VH-ZPM 'Emma-braer' taxis to depart to Adelaide.

Tiger VH-VNC back to Melbourne after a short stop.

VH-TJF 'Brolga' taxis to 35

and finally Todd's favorite >:D  VH-TJR 'Lorikeet' taxis out

smitho

As I taxied into Fairbairn Terminus on my usual 786 yesterday, I noticed a silver aircraft outside the RAAF hangar about the size of a 737 but without RAAF-type markings - wasn't at all sure what it was - may be a plane belonging to some foreign VIP??

PS: One of my regular Xpresso commuters told me this am that DEETYA is packing its bags from Brindabella Park and will move into the new mammoth DEETYA building about to open in Marcus Clarke St, Civic - that will take about 1000 public servants out of Brindabella Pk.

Apparently it has 3 floors of parking below the building - should do wonders for traffic on the adjoining streets when all these cars disgorge their traffic on to city streets at knock off time.   

Sir Pompously

Well we had a RNZAF 757 in on Australia Day and out yesterday, and the Roulettes left on Australia Day in formation. Have not seen the 737, however I am sure I will view it today when I get to work.

With regards to the DETYA (Is that now DEEWR?), well this is how they have decided to re-design the city! Shove as many cars into as little space as possible, with transport options that people just don't wish to take because they are not made attractive. It will put a dent in the BBP & Airport traffic, but only for a short time as BBP will more than likely get another Aust. Government department to move in ASAP.

Good photos Zac. The Stratigic one I got annoyed with the other day when it came in, as I wanted a photo but the thing sat on the Taxiway for ages at the other end of the airport. -TJR and -TJW are my most hated, -TJW because I have been on it many times and is the 'odd ball' of the fleet (Not Ex-Australian). The names on those E Jets are clever, the least clever being Aussie Rob which I just don't like at all. 'Bee Bop a Blue', 'Bluephoria', 'Irresistablue', 'Emma-Braer', 'Maiden Brazil', all good names!

Snorzac

Yeah, YQA did the same thing yesterday. TJW was in as well but due to the Tiger taking it's time pushing back it taxied down the runway and did a 180

smitho

The silver aircraft could well have been the NZ 757 - I wasn't entirely confident that it was a B 737, although the fuselage diameter looked like that of a 737/727

- I was too far away to make out the fuselage markings as they were very much smaller than what we have on our RAAF planes..

Sir Pompously

smitho

Interesting pic - thanks - but I'm not sure that was the a/c I saw...hmm, puzzling!